Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,187,458 members, 7,932,523 topics. Date: Tuesday, 27 August 2024 at 08:26 AM

Ndume: I Can No Longer Be Maina’s Surety, He Is Untrustworthy - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ndume: I Can No Longer Be Maina’s Surety, He Is Untrustworthy (28424 Views)

Ndume: I Criticised Jonathan But We Don’t Value What We Have Until We Lose It / Ali Ndume: "I Disagree With Creating Agency For Boko Haram" (video) / Faisal Abdulrasheed, Maina’s Son Pulled A Pistol Against DSS - EFCC Agents (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ndume: I Can No Longer Be Maina’s Surety, He Is Untrustworthy by viviangist: 3:49am On Dec 05, 2020
The Chairman, Senate Committee on the Army, Senator Ali Ndume, has said he can no longer stand as surety for the former chairman of the defunct Pension Reform Task Force Team, Abdulrasheed Maina, who is currently undergoing trial.

He said he would direct his legal team to begin the process of terminating the surety bond he signed for Maina because, according to him, the former pension boss could not be trusted.

This is as the Federal High Court in Abuja on Friday ordered that Maina should be remanded in custody till the end of his trial.

Justice Okon Abang made the order following an application by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission’s prosecuting counsel, Mr Mohammed Abubakar.

Maina, who is being prosecuted by the EFCC on N2bn money laundering charges, had jumped bail and fled to the Republic of Niger.

But he was returned to court for the first time on Friday following his extradition to Nigeria earlier on Thursday.

Ndume, who is representing Borno South Senatorial District in the Senate, has stood surety for Maina, his constituent, as the judge had, as part of the bail conditions, demanded among others, that Maina should produce a serving senator as his surety.

Ndume agreed to stand surety for Maina but the latter jumped bail and escaped from Nigeria.

The judge subsequently remanded Ndume in the Kuje Correctional Centre following his inability to produce Maina when the case came up for hearing.

A legal battle ensued and Ndume was left off the hook while Maina, the fugitive, was arrested in the Niger Republic and extradited to Nigeria on Thursday.

Reacting to the development in an interview with journalists in Abuja on Friday, Ndume commended the Inspector-General of Police (Mohammed Adamu) and other security personnel that were involved in the arrest and extradition of Maina.

He said, “I commend the Nigeria Police Force for executing the bench warrant issued on Maina by the Federal High Court in Abuja.

“With the successful arrest, extradition and subsequent remand of Maina at the Kuje Correctional Centre, I will proceed to direct my legal team to begin the process of withdrawing my suretyship for Maina with immediate effect because his action has shown that he is not trustworthy.”

Ndume later told one of our correspondents on Friday evening that his hands were tied at the time he stood surety for Maina, adding that it was unfair to ask senators to stand for accused persons.

He said, “Considering the circumstances I found myself at that time, I have no regrets standing surety for him but it is not fair to always ask a serving senator to stand surety for every high profile personality accused of crime from his constituency.

“I stood surety for Maina because the bail condition stated that only a serving senator can bail him. Because his offence was bailable and he is constitutionally considered innocent until convicted by the court and as a politically exposed person, my hands were tied, but now that he jumped bail, my hand is now free.”

Ruling on EFCC’s application for remand order on Friday, Justice Abang said, “The defendant is already on a bench warrant, having jumped bail.

“So he shall be remanded in correctional centre pending the conclusion of the trial.”

A lawyer, Adaji Abel, who newly took over Maina’s defence on Friday, appealed to the judge to adjourn the case to enable him to prepare adequately for the case.

The judge acceded to the request and adjourned till December 8.

Earlier, the law firm of Joe Kyari-Gadzama (SAN) withdrew its legal representation for Maina.

This came barely 24 hours after another lawyer, Adeola Adedipe, who was appearing for the second defendant in the case, Common Input Property and Investment Ltd, a firm said to be owned by Maina, obtained the permission of the court to quit the case.

Mr Francis Oronsaye representing the Kyari-Gadzama’s law firm, moved the application for the withdrawal of legal representation in the presence of Maina.

Oronsaye said, “We have filed a notice of withdrawal of legal representation dated November 24, 2020 and filed on November 25, 2020. We wish to adopt same.

“Our non-appearance in this matter for some time was not borne out of disrespect or disregard for this honourable court.

“We have written to the first defendant (Maina) indicating our intention to withdraw our representation. And we went further to file a notice of discontinuance of appearance.”

The EFCC’s prosecuting counsel, Abubakar, did not oppose the application.

Justice Abang subsequently granted the order permitting Kyari-Gadzama’s application to quit the case.

Oronsaye also moved a similar application for the withdrawal of the law firm’s legal representation for Maina’s son, Faisal, and the prayer was granted by the judge.

Also on Friday, Justice Abang fixed December 11 for the adoption of final addresses in the money laundering trial of Faisal, who is said to have jumped bail.

He also fixed December 8 for his surety, a member of the House of Representatives, Sani Umar Dangaladima, representing the Kaura-Namoda Federal Constituency of Zamfara State, to appear in court to show cause why he should not forfeit the N60m bail bond which he signed for the fleeing defendant or be sent to prison.

https://punchng.com/n2bn-fraud-i-can-no-longer-be-mainas-surety-hes-untrustworthy-says-ndume/

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ndume: I Can No Longer Be Maina’s Surety, He Is Untrustworthy by Saao(m): 4:27am On Dec 05, 2020
Even Ndume can't be trusted. Criminals always stood as surety for fellow criminals.

61 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Ndume: I Can No Longer Be Maina’s Surety, He Is Untrustworthy by Abuimam6: 4:31am On Dec 05, 2020
grin you must to do o

Do you need a beautiful, responsive and secure website, online business or Startup? Click my name to get one at giveaway price.

2 Likes

Re: Ndume: I Can No Longer Be Maina’s Surety, He Is Untrustworthy by mayklef(m): 4:36am On Dec 05, 2020
Wahala for Criminal wia do surety for criminal cheesy

17 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Ndume: I Can No Longer Be Maina’s Surety, He Is Untrustworthy by roundman: 4:49am On Dec 05, 2020
Abaribe should be ready o!!!

17 Likes

Re: Ndume: I Can No Longer Be Maina’s Surety, He Is Untrustworthy by seunmsg(m): 4:51am On Dec 05, 2020
This one don get sense laslas. People must understand the huge responsibilities that comes with standing as surety for someone going through a criminal trial. If you can’t bear the risk, don’t stand for them. If you do and they jump bail, the system will hold you.

So, the excuse about criticizing Buhari was actually silly. The judicial process must be allowed to play its course irrespective of who is involved.

21 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Ndume: I Can No Longer Be Maina’s Surety, He Is Untrustworthy by simple250: 5:08am On Dec 05, 2020
Hahaha, you produced him just because you don't want to sleep in kuje prison. If not DSS will still be looking for him, Birds of the same feather .

64 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ndume: I Can No Longer Be Maina’s Surety, He Is Untrustworthy by inoki247: 5:16am On Dec 05, 2020
lol you fit du am because of say u wan colet percentage from the loot buh ur eye don clear now say diz kain percentage fit lead u to jail..

2 Likes

Re: Ndume: I Can No Longer Be Maina’s Surety, He Is Untrustworthy by Yenefer(f): 5:21am On Dec 05, 2020
two sides of the same coin.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ndume: I Can No Longer Be Maina’s Surety, He Is Untrustworthy by slawormiir: 6:12am On Dec 05, 2020
Damnnn niggarrrr
Isoright....ndume don't know what he has put his hand into
Re: Ndume: I Can No Longer Be Maina’s Surety, He Is Untrustworthy by Alejobs: 6:12am On Dec 05, 2020
sad
Re: Ndume: I Can No Longer Be Maina’s Surety, He Is Untrustworthy by OnyeOhuu: 6:12am On Dec 05, 2020

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ndume: I Can No Longer Be Maina’s Surety, He Is Untrustworthy by bolaayenimo: 6:13am On Dec 05, 2020
Give him second chance nah. He must have repented

1 Like

Re: Ndume: I Can No Longer Be Maina’s Surety, He Is Untrustworthy by Bossontop(m): 6:13am On Dec 05, 2020
undecided
No honor amongst thieves.......a classic case of "He who falls behind gets left behind"

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ndume: I Can No Longer Be Maina’s Surety, He Is Untrustworthy by Calabar1stSon: 6:13am On Dec 05, 2020
Two thieves the fear each other!

4 Likes

Re: Ndume: I Can No Longer Be Maina’s Surety, He Is Untrustworthy by Nairalandwizerd(m): 6:14am On Dec 05, 2020
Eye Don clear

1 Like

Re: Ndume: I Can No Longer Be Maina’s Surety, He Is Untrustworthy by Tab4kids(f): 6:14am On Dec 05, 2020
Get your affordable beautiful butterfly/goddess locs

3-4 packs for a full hair

2500/pack slightly negotiable

20 strands per pack

Location is Lagos, delivery is nationwide

Call or Whatsapp on 07 06 18 09 819

1 Like

Re: Ndume: I Can No Longer Be Maina’s Surety, He Is Untrustworthy by olatade(m): 6:14am On Dec 05, 2020
Maga don get sense las las grin

1 Like

Re: Ndume: I Can No Longer Be Maina’s Surety, He Is Untrustworthy by Administration1: 6:14am On Dec 05, 2020
You no Sabi before
Re: Ndume: I Can No Longer Be Maina’s Surety, He Is Untrustworthy by valentinenkem: 6:14am On Dec 05, 2020
Am watching
Re: Ndume: I Can No Longer Be Maina’s Surety, He Is Untrustworthy by Risingblue008(m): 6:15am On Dec 05, 2020
Ooooooh
Why r u running
I say why r u running?
grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Ndume: I Can No Longer Be Maina’s Surety, He Is Untrustworthy by ProDesigns53(m): 6:15am On Dec 05, 2020
It is well

Get a professional business or company logo done for just 3k only and get all the following files of your logo;

1, High quality 3D logo
2, Transparent background logo for watermark
3, Plain logo for letterhead, business card, Id card etc
4, Pdf copy of your logo.
Call/WhatsApp me via the number on the image below.
The link to my WhatsApp is in my signature

1 Like

Re: Ndume: I Can No Longer Be Maina’s Surety, He Is Untrustworthy by Fheelzz(m): 6:16am On Dec 05, 2020
Bunch of the same feathers
All looters, i wonder why dem no d3y lynch this people as they do petty armed robbers

4 Likes

Re: Ndume: I Can No Longer Be Maina’s Surety, He Is Untrustworthy by Sunnycliff(m): 6:17am On Dec 05, 2020
That maina deserves burning at the stakes

2 Likes

Re: Ndume: I Can No Longer Be Maina’s Surety, He Is Untrustworthy by revived: 6:17am On Dec 05, 2020
Lol
Re: Ndume: I Can No Longer Be Maina’s Surety, He Is Untrustworthy by tunapawizzy: 6:17am On Dec 05, 2020
Maina that we have been looking for was produced/arrested or whatever they choose to call it, because a senator is on the hot seat.... Keep legislators under serious pressure, things will work in this country ...they will put pressure on the appropriate authorities to do their job

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ndume: I Can No Longer Be Maina’s Surety, He Is Untrustworthy by helinues: 6:18am On Dec 05, 2020
Kettle......
Re: Ndume: I Can No Longer Be Maina’s Surety, He Is Untrustworthy by Chiedu4Trump: 6:20am On Dec 05, 2020
Why was he in Niger Republic?

Looks like these Northerners are all from Niger Republic

When they build the rail they will now flood Nigeria to the IDP camp victims detriment

South of Nigeria needs to wake-up

roundman:
Abaribe should be ready o!!!
Wetin concern Abaribe with this?

The Army went to kill Kanu, so he evaded assasination

OnyeOhuu:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vK0Yl4Q0tjQ

www.nairaland.com/attachments/12441188_rubbish_jpegcf98c6c688ca08fa5a316f4da975ee31

5 Likes

Re: Ndume: I Can No Longer Be Maina’s Surety, He Is Untrustworthy by Broken2020: 6:22am On Dec 05, 2020
Run
Re: Ndume: I Can No Longer Be Maina’s Surety, He Is Untrustworthy by czaratwork: 6:22am On Dec 05, 2020
Hm

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Democracy Day Celebration At Eagle Square Abuja In Pictures as buhari arrives / Umar Ganduje Speaks About Projects Commissioned After Bribery Allegation Scandal / Nigeria To Borrow $6.9 Billion From World Bank, IMF, AFDB

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.