Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,651 members, 7,882,200 topics. Date: Saturday, 06 July 2024 at 06:25 PM

Actress Elizabeth Taylor Dies At Age 79 - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Actress Elizabeth Taylor Dies At Age 79 (3330 Views)

Sam Sarpong Dead At Age 35; Committed Suicide. / Actress Elizabeth Olsen Disgraced In Paris (Photos) / Hollywood Actress Elizabeth Hurley Hot Photos Wallpapers Images In Bikini Dresse (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Actress Elizabeth Taylor Dies At Age 79 by Jackieugo(f): 4:36pm On Mar 23, 2011
http://movies.yahoo.com/news/movies.ap.org/film-legend-elizabeth-taylor-dies-79-ap

LOS ANGELES - Screen legend Elizabeth Taylor, the violet-eyed film goddess whose sultry screen life was often upstaged by her stormy personal life, died Wednesday at age 79.

She died of congestive heart failure at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, where she had been hospitalized for about six weeks, publicist Sally Morrison said.

"All her children were with her," Morrison said.

Taylor had extraordinary grace, fame and wealth, and won three Oscars, including a special one for her humanitarian work. But she was tortured by ill health, failed romances and personal tragedy.

"I think I'm becoming fatalistic," she said in 1989. "Too much has happened in my life for me not to be fatalistic."

Her eight marriages — including two to actor Richard Burton — and a lifelong battle with substance abuse, physical ailments and overeating made Taylor as popular in supermarket tabloids as in classic film festivals.

Taylor disclosed in November 2004 that she had congestive heart failure. But she still periodically dismissed reports that she was at death's door, saying she used a wheelchair only because of chronic back problems that began at age 12 when she fell from a horse.

"Oh, come on, do I look like I'm dying?" she said in May 2006 in a rare television interview on CNN's "Larry King Live." "Do I look like or sound like I have Alzheimer's?" Tabloids report such things "because they have nothing else dirty to write about anybody else," she said.

When she turned 75 the following year, she was asked about the secret to her longevity and quipped: "Hangin' in."

The London-born actress was a star at age 12, a bride and a divorcee at 18, a screen goddess at 19 and a widow at 26.

She appeared in more than 50 films, and won Oscars for her performances in "Butterfield 8" (1960) and "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?" (1966), in which she starred opposite Burton.

In later years, she was a spokeswoman for several causes, most notably AIDS research. Her work gained her a special Oscar, the Jean Hersholt Humanitarian Award, in 1993.

As she accepted it, she told a worldwide television audience: "I call upon you to draw from the depths of your being — to prove that we are a human race, to prove that our love outweighs our need to hate, that our compassion is more compelling than our need to blame."

She accepted her many health problems with a stoic attitude.

"My body's a real mess," Taylor told W magazine in 2004. "If you look at it in the mirror, it's just completely convex and concave."

So sad. She was such an icon. God bless her family.
Re: Actress Elizabeth Taylor Dies At Age 79 by Fogman(m): 3:52am On Mar 24, 2011
May her soul R.I.P
Re: Actress Elizabeth Taylor Dies At Age 79 by tuhott(f): 3:02pm On Mar 24, 2011
She was an intriguing woman, R.I.P
Re: Actress Elizabeth Taylor Dies At Age 79 by IdiAmin2(m): 3:21pm On Mar 24, 2011
RIP Liz Taylor , now the quest begins to find a funeral home big enough to accomodate all her ex-husbands wishing to attend the ceremony grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Actress Elizabeth Taylor Dies At Age 79 by Nobody: 3:55pm On Mar 24, 2011
Freaking sad.

She was a beautiful woman.
Re: Actress Elizabeth Taylor Dies At Age 79 by duduspace(m): 5:46pm On Mar 24, 2011
RIP Liz Taylor, an epitome of beauty and quitessence of the celebrity lifestyle in her prime. Her name was always on my mum's lips while I was growing up. Have to give her a call and find out how she reacted to the news.
Re: Actress Elizabeth Taylor Dies At Age 79 by otumfour(m): 7:15pm On Mar 24, 2011
she's prolly chilling wit Michael Jackson right abt now
Re: Actress Elizabeth Taylor Dies At Age 79 by Cuteobi(f): 7:56pm On Mar 24, 2011
RIP maam! Say hi to Mj and my Dad 4 me
Re: Actress Elizabeth Taylor Dies At Age 79 by balowo(m): 9:20pm On Mar 24, 2011
Sleep well. I will be missing u
Re: Actress Elizabeth Taylor Dies At Age 79 by balowo(m): 9:27pm On Mar 24, 2011
[b][/b]
Re: Actress Elizabeth Taylor Dies At Age 79 by mamagee3(f): 9:45pm On Mar 24, 2011
May her soul rest in peace!!!
Re: Actress Elizabeth Taylor Dies At Age 79 by Nobody: 10:43pm On Mar 24, 2011
may she rip.
Re: Actress Elizabeth Taylor Dies At Age 79 by Virtueways(f): 10:58pm On Mar 24, 2011
Dear N/landers, after all said what we should be asking ourselves is--where has her soul gone to now, for what shall it profit a man/woman, if he/she owns the whole world and loses his/her soul,
Re: Actress Elizabeth Taylor Dies At Age 79 by jle(f): 11:57pm On Mar 24, 2011
RIP to an iconic beauty
Re: Actress Elizabeth Taylor Dies At Age 79 by Ndipe(m): 12:41am On Mar 25, 2011
Virtueways:

Dear  N/landers, after all said what we should be asking ourselves is--where has her soul gone to now, for what shall it profit a man/woman, if he/she owns the whole world and loses his/her soul,

We dont know where her soul is, do you?
Re: Actress Elizabeth Taylor Dies At Age 79 by Nobody: 12:55am On Mar 25, 2011
oh no! wow.

she was a legend. May her soul rest in peace.
Re: Actress Elizabeth Taylor Dies At Age 79 by 4Runner: 11:19pm On Mar 25, 2011
May her soul rest in peace, amen.
Re: Actress Elizabeth Taylor Dies At Age 79 by Coolabbie: 1:54pm On Mar 26, 2011
RIP Liberian girl & tell MJ dat i luv him & miss him.
Re: Actress Elizabeth Taylor Dies At Age 79 by chic2pimp(m): 4:51pm On Mar 26, 2011
R.I.P Liz Taylor. What a Woman and what a Career.
Re: Actress Elizabeth Taylor Dies At Age 79 by mamagee3(f): 9:31pm On Mar 26, 2011
otumfour:

she's prolly chilling wit Michael Jackson right abt now
She finally got to meet her best friend again after mourning him here on earth. . .

(1) (Reply)

Jay-z Has Secret 9-year-old Old Love Child / Nigerian Who Faked Kim Kardashian's Tweet Unmasked / The Video: Afrocandy Goes Wild At Lagos Party

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.