Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,200,883 members, 7,976,290 topics. Date: Wednesday, 16 October 2024 at 02:03 AM

10 Things You Didn't Know About The Mursi Tribe Of Ethiopia. - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / 10 Things You Didn't Know About The Mursi Tribe Of Ethiopia. (978 Views)

Cardiff Mum Didn't Know She Was Pregnant Until She "Felt The Baby's Head Coming" / She Didn't Know She Was Pregnant Until She Saw The Baby's Head / My Wicked Wife Didn't Buy Christmas Clothes For Our House Help (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

10 Things You Didn't Know About The Mursi Tribe Of Ethiopia. by Frenzy01(m): 11:00am On Dec 08, 2020
Ethiopia in the Horn of Africa, is a rugged, landlocked country split by the Great Rift Valley. With archaeological findings dating back to millions of years ago, it is a place rich with many cultures, historical feats and monuments.

Ethiopia is also home to a handful of interesting and isolated indigenous tribes. The Mursi people are a prime example. Here are 10 things you probably didn’t know about the isolated tribe:

1. Population

It is estimated that there are about 10,000 Mursi indigenes left in the world. The majority of them live in southwestern Ethiopia, in the highly isolated Omo National Park, in the Omo Zone. They are regarded as the wealthiest of all the tribes living in the zone.

2. Lip plates.

Lips plates are worn by mostly women to signify their status as single or married. A young virgin girl will have her lip cut and held open by a wooden plug until she reaches the age of 15 or 16. It is assumed that the larger the lip plate, the more bride-wealth the female has when she reaches marriageable age.

3. Home.

They live mostly in thatched huts made up of clay, palm fronds and woods.

4. Religion

The place is highly isolated and devoid of any external penetration hence they do their things their own way. They believe in an higher force called Tumwi which is believed to be a figure in the sky, often a rainbow or a big bird.

5. Language

The Mursi dialect is known as “Surmic”.

6. Occupation.

They are live a predominantly nomadic lifestyle and they take extreme pleasure in rearing of cattles. Their wealth is measured by the number of cattle they have and they are believed to...

Kindly Click the link below to finish this article:
https://www.operanewsapp.com/ng/en/share/detail?news_id=f742ce86b623deb370eb30ea54a2a192&news_entry_id=s576ae5fb201124en_ng&open_type=tanscoded&request_id=news_4c00850c-7234-4ccd-a029-885600a51def&from=news

Re: 10 Things You Didn't Know About The Mursi Tribe Of Ethiopia. by Mokason288(m): 11:02am On Dec 08, 2020
They are live a predominantly nomadic lifestyle

I don’t know why I feel another name for Nomadic is backwardness

This ones look Carnivorous

I HOPE I MADE SENSE

1 Like

Re: 10 Things You Didn't Know About The Mursi Tribe Of Ethiopia. by Charlieluvboy(m): 11:03am On Dec 08, 2020
wow
Re: 10 Things You Didn't Know About The Mursi Tribe Of Ethiopia. by longetivity(m): 11:30am On Dec 08, 2020
Re: 10 Things You Didn't Know About The Mursi Tribe Of Ethiopia. by MrHighSea: 3:11pm On Dec 08, 2020
scary.

1 Like

Re: 10 Things You Didn't Know About The Mursi Tribe Of Ethiopia. by Mariangeles(f): 3:19pm On Dec 08, 2020
The lip plates! Omg! The lip plates!
Re: 10 Things You Didn't Know About The Mursi Tribe Of Ethiopia. by Nobody: 3:42pm On Dec 08, 2020
Frenzy01:
Ethiopia in the Horn of Africa, is a rugged, landlocked country split by the Great Rift Valley. With archaeological findings dating back to millions of years ago, it is a place rich with many cultures, historical feats and monuments.

Ethiopia is also home to a handful of interesting and isolated indigenous tribes. The Mursi people are a prime example. Here are 10 things you probably didn’t know about the isolated tribe:

1. Population

It is estimated that there are about 10,000 Mursi indigenes left in the world. The majority of them live in southwestern Ethiopia, in the highly isolated Omo National Park, in the Omo Zone. They are regarded as the wealthiest of all the tribes living in the zone.

2. Lip plates.

Lips plates are worn by mostly women to signify their status as single or married. A young virgin girl will have her lip cut and held open by a wooden plug until she reaches the age of 15 or 16. It is assumed that the larger the lip plate, the more bride-wealth the female has when she reaches marriageable age.

3. Home.

They live mostly in thatched huts made up of clay, palm fronts and woods.

4. Religion

The place is highly isolated and devoid of any external penetration hence they do their things their own way. They believe in an higher force called Tumwi which is believed to be a figure in the sky, often a rainbow or a big bird.

5. Language

The Mursi dialect is known as “Surmic”.

6. Occupation.

They are live a predominantly nomadic lifestyle and they take extreme pleasure in rearing of cattles. Their wealth is measured by the number of cattle they have and they are believed to...

Kindly Click the link below to finish this article:
https://www.operanewsapp.com/ng/en/share/detail?news_id=f742ce86b623deb370eb30ea54a2a192&news_entry_id=s576ae5fb201124en_ng&open_type=tanscoded&request_id=news_4c00850c-7234-4ccd-a029-885600a51def&from=news

OP, please edit number 3. It's actually spelt palm frond. Not "palm front".
Re: 10 Things You Didn't Know About The Mursi Tribe Of Ethiopia. by Frenzy01(m): 4:19pm On Dec 08, 2020
mansakhalifa:

OP, please edit number 3. It's actually spelt palm frond. Not "palm front".
Thanks for the correction
Re: 10 Things You Didn't Know About The Mursi Tribe Of Ethiopia. by mii4u(f): 5:50pm On Dec 08, 2020
They don't look anything like Ethiopians. Hmmm, culture dey oooo, come to think of it, how do the ones with the lip plate eat?

1 Like

Re: 10 Things You Didn't Know About The Mursi Tribe Of Ethiopia. by Nobody: 6:00pm On Dec 08, 2020
*Pukes*
This is Oppression! Someone should please take civilisation to this people...
How do they even eat with those things on their mouths!!!??
Re: 10 Things You Didn't Know About The Mursi Tribe Of Ethiopia. by somebody02: 6:50pm On Dec 08, 2020
Hammyaladin:
*Pukes*

This is Oppression! Someone should please take civilisation to this people...

How do they even eat with those things on their mouths!!!??

Definition of civilization is subjective, bro.
They have been the most civilized at the peak of their culture.

(1) (Reply)

Could I Be Hallucinating? My Mom Brings Me Terrible Badly Luck / What Is This World Turning Into / My Mom.is Always Right

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.