Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,179,923 members, 7,909,441 topics. Date: Saturday, 03 August 2024 at 04:17 AM

My Sister Wants Traditional Marriage In The City: Is It Normal? - Family (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / My Sister Wants Traditional Marriage In The City: Is It Normal? (21812 Views)

My Married Sister Wants to be a liability to us / My Sister Wants To Quit Her Young Marriage. / My Sister Wants Court Marriage, Her Husband Doesn't. Advise Her Please (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Sister Wants Traditional Marriage In The City: Is It Normal? by Ade3000yrs(m): 4:15pm On Dec 14, 2020
Common sense is not common but i dont know how many of us are ready to die in the name of cultural, traditional, religious and conventional dogma, so if my fathers village is one of those captured enclave of boko haram or bandit, will common sense apply that we should all go and die like fowl in Dapchi or Sambisa in the name of culture?? Please lets use our head to think and be unconventional if we have to and not relegate our cerebral to our genitals. Are you going to be the one to take care of the logistics because you already said bulk of your relatives are in the city. Its high time the igbo tradition do away with a lot of cultural rights that has held the igbo nation hostage and tantamount to progressive ideals.
Re: My Sister Wants Traditional Marriage In The City: Is It Normal? by djon78(m): 4:58pm On Dec 14, 2020
Ade3000yrs:
Common sense is not common but i dont know how many of us are ready to die in the name of cultural, traditional, religious and conventional dogma, so if my fathers village is one of those captured enclave of boko haram or bandit, will common sense apply that we should all go and die like fowl in Dapchi or Sambisa in the name of culture?? Please lets use our head to think and be unconventional if we have to and not relegate our cerebral to our genitals. Are you going to be the one to take care of the logistics because you already said bulk of your relatives are in the city. Its high time the igbo tradition do away with a lot of cultural rights that has held the igbo nation hostage and tantamount to progressive ideals.

Story
Igbo tradition supersede anything out there
Its what makes us unique as a people
In addition Igbo marriage culture
That his sister is not just owned by her parents but the umunna, umuada, her mother's people etc

If the lady goes against her family wish
One day she will need them
When problem will come out tomorrow in her marriage
She will be left alone

That's why today's marriages are not stable and lasting like our parents marriages
Because they fall to do the right thing
Re: My Sister Wants Traditional Marriage In The City: Is It Normal? by meobizy(f): 5:15pm On Dec 14, 2020
Lol at Nairalanders still living in the Stone Age. Most traditional weddings I attend nowadays happen in the family’s present location. Urbanization has made most under sixty year olds city dwellers. Why should they visit an unfamiliar territory only for a day of activity? Maybe you guys live in a rented apartment so can’t consider your location as home. A house only needs a family in it for consideration as the perfect location for the wedding.
Re: My Sister Wants Traditional Marriage In The City: Is It Normal? by kemmy196(m): 5:19pm On Dec 14, 2020
[quote author=edoairways post=97045959]
The roads are bad and the country is not totally secured. Would you want the couple to experience such?[/quot

far from it ooo..is just the right thing to do in my own village oo dats y I said I don't know for Igbo culture
Re: My Sister Wants Traditional Marriage In The City: Is It Normal? by edoairways: 5:24pm On Dec 14, 2020
[quote author=kemmy196 post=97063984][/quote]
Things are changing now. You don't expect intending couple to risk their lives to the village all in the name of wedding.
Re: My Sister Wants Traditional Marriage In The City: Is It Normal? by IkpuMmadu: 6:38pm On Dec 14, 2020
Depressed101:
dj 4k? Is this a joke?
I gave instances
Re: My Sister Wants Traditional Marriage In The City: Is It Normal? by IkpuMmadu: 6:40pm On Dec 14, 2020
descarado:

Na only yab.
When push come to shove, who will stand by her side?

We try to copy oyibo forgeting that what we see in movies are different from what's on ground there. Asia, some European countries hold on to their traditions cos that's what defines them.
Wish them luck anyway.
in asia they don't play with their tradition from china to Japan from Korea to Saudi ... They don't play with it

But black man too copy oyibo
Tufiakwa
Re: My Sister Wants Traditional Marriage In The City: Is It Normal? by frozen70(f): 7:20pm On Dec 14, 2020
bencarson007:

Too much Wahala.... Make we no dey stress ourselves in the name of tradition

It's necessary where it is obtainable and do able

The Igbos does not play with it

Just the way the Yorubas don't play with some of their traditions

Odun Oshogbo is a tradition that can't be done in a city but in the groove that's how some certain core traditions are
Re: My Sister Wants Traditional Marriage In The City: Is It Normal? by Omoluabi16(m): 9:56pm On Dec 14, 2020
pocohantas:
Majority of the people saying it is fine are not Igbos. The only people I know that will live, marry and be buried in Lagos without knowing their hometowns are Yorubas, no offense, but Igbos do not do that.

As woke as I am, one thing I will never do is my trad in the city or even marry without knowing the village of my partner.

All these woke Igbo people running away from the village saying “village people”, yes they could be a handful and I hate that- but a day will come when you’ll need those village people. I have an aunty that did Lagos marriage when I was a teenager, today she regrets it.

Even if you wake me from deep sleep, I will show you the way to my parents house IN THE VILLAGE. I can also show you their own parents houses as jara, that is my ROOT.
Who would have thought you are a very cultural person.. true. The yoruba's do that. I think home in this context is where you managed to own a property/house. Its rather unthinkable for someone to leave dear lagos for an ekiti, osogbo or abeokuta for any function.. at least for me.

However, it is still very common here to observe burials in our respecive hometowns.

1 Like

Re: My Sister Wants Traditional Marriage In The City: Is It Normal? by pocohantas(f): 8:02am On Dec 15, 2020
Omoluabi16:
Who would have thought you are a very cultural person.. true. The yoruba's do that. I think home in this context is where you managed to own a property/house. Its rather unthinkable for someone to leave dear lagos for an ekiti, osogbo or abeokuta for any function.. at least for me.

However, it is still very common here to observe burials in our respecive hometowns.

Funny! I could be, that’s why I am amused when some hoodlums read one comment and assume they know how I’ll react to every other situation. I know Yorubas do it, I have lived, schooled, worked and loved them long enough to know this. You are right, burial is one time I hear some say they are going or went “home”.
Re: My Sister Wants Traditional Marriage In The City: Is It Normal? by merakiX: 9:17am On Dec 15, 2020
LawLab247:
I don't know your culture but where I come from, traditional marriage is held at your ancestral home. That's one of the things that makes it traditional in the first instance. We Africans must not bastardize the ways of our forefathers, lest we lose our identities. My opinion tho.

Thank you.
The world will never respect a people without their own philosophies and traditions and culture, never.
See how the world is paying Asia to use some of their cultures.
There is nothing edifying or classy about having Igba Nkwu in the city, or deciding that Palm wine is tacky and using Chivita instead embarassed. The class is in the naturalness.
Well some people who go this route may not be proud of their roots. It is almost unheard of where I come from (I have never seen/heard of it).

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

After Divorce, Most Ladies Turn Feminist And Marriage Experts / Nigerian Woman Gives Birth To Twins After 16 Years Of Waiting (Photos) / All The Drama That Happens When Your Parents Are Arguing

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.