Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,180,664 members, 7,911,786 topics. Date: Monday, 05 August 2024 at 03:54 PM

Guatemalan First Lady To Divorce Husband To Enable Her Succeed Him - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Guatemalan First Lady To Divorce Husband To Enable Her Succeed Him (883 Views)

Open Letter From A Nigerian Lady To South Africans / Michelle Obama Wants To Divorce Barack Obama - National Enquirer / Vladimir Putin And Wife Lyudmila Divorce (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Guatemalan First Lady To Divorce Husband To Enable Her Succeed Him by johnie: 1:05pm On Mar 25, 2011
25 March 2011 Last updated at 01:39 GMT
Guatemala first lady Sandra Torres confirms divorce  Ms Torres wants to be Guatemala's first woman president 

Guatemala's First Lady, Sandra Torres de Colom, has confirmed that she is divorcing president Alvaro Colom so she can stand for election to succeed him.

Ms Torres fought back tears as she told Guatemalans she was leaving a loving marriage for the sake of the nation.

"I am divorcing my husband but I am getting married to the people," she said at a news conference.

Guatemala's constitution bans close relatives of the president from standing to succeed him.

The main opposition candidate for September's presidential election - former Gen Otto Perez Molina - has called the first couple's divorce electoral fraud.

Ms Torres, 51, announced her candidacy for president for the governing party earlier this month.

Difficult decision

The news that she was seeking a divorce to overcome the constitutional block on her running for office emerged on Monday, but this is the first time she has publicly confirmed it.

She said the decision, which will force the first couple to live apart, was "very difficult".

"I am not going to be the first or the last woman who decides to get a divorce, but I am the only woman to get a divorce for her country," she said.
Ms Torres is Mr Colom's third wife and is already a divorcee. They have been married for eight years.

She has played a prominent role in Alvaro Colom's presidency, supervising the government's poverty relief programmes.

Critics have alleged that she wields even more power over her husband behind the scenes.
It is not clear if the constitutional ban on relatives of the president standing to succeed him includes ex-spouses.

The final say on whether Ms Torres can stand will rest with Guatemala's Constitutional Court.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-12857325

I dey laff  grin grin
Re: Guatemalan First Lady To Divorce Husband To Enable Her Succeed Him by johnie: 1:51pm On Mar 25, 2011
The happy couple.

Re: Guatemalan First Lady To Divorce Husband To Enable Her Succeed Him by Kennyblues(m): 2:20pm On Mar 25, 2011
Sometimes I wonder, as bad as Naija is, if something like coul dhappen in my dear country. It worse than electoral fraud; who is fooling who?

(1) (Reply)

Hate Crime In Lybia: Lybian Rebels Slaughtering Negro Africans, Video / Herman Cain's embarrassing Libya moment / Cameroun Rescues Vices PM'S Wife Kidnapped By Bokoharam

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.