Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,200,617 members, 7,975,390 topics. Date: Tuesday, 15 October 2024 at 03:07 AM

Why Buhari Over Ribadu? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Buhari Over Ribadu? (2513 Views)

Ministerial List: Why Buhari Holds On To 15 Other Nominees / Fayose Warns Apc And Buhari Over Attacks On pres. Jonathan / Northern Youths Challenge Buhari Over Certificate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Buhari Over Ribadu? by HamidO1(m): 11:43am On Mar 27, 2011
proudly9ja:

The bolded part forms my decision to support Buhari. I do not (ofcourse I may be wrong), see ACN chieftains giving free hand to such people to do the right thing. Its the same way OBJ destroyed the works of his hand when he got greedy. You see, once selfish interest is the foundation of Nation building, there cannot be much progress. For instance, I know a Falana may not keep quiet while an individual is being paid millions of naira per month from tax payers money just as compensation. And that is just one of it. Unfortunately, I think Ribadu's passion is too hot for him to work properly in a party like ACN. I can imagine the firt things he'l like to do is rid himself of the fraudsters backing him. This ofcourse we know is easier said than done.

Look at it this way, in fighting corruption, do you think Ribadu will fight others and leave the ones running around in his backyard? I respect the man personally, don't get me wrong but he lost my support when he decided to run under ACN. I am certain he will have a place in Buhari's government.

I strongly disagree with what you said about Action Congress Chieftains not allowing Ribadu work. Not every party thinks like PDP, mind you. If Fashola can achieve the little he has achieved in Lagos state with Tinubu right in his backyard, what are we saying then?
I'll stick too Ribadu because of his age and tendency of coming up with a better cabinet. He'll look beyond intergrity alone, capability also matters.
Re: Why Buhari Over Ribadu? by HamidO1(m): 11:51am On Mar 27, 2011
I must thank Sagamite for creating such a thread, Never thought of anything like this. I'm more comfortable hanging out with my Buhari friends despite been a Ribadu fan.
The best brains in this section are the ones we have in here. I say this because I see anyone that votes for PDP (friend or family) as a m¤ron.
Re: Why Buhari Over Ribadu? by Gbawe: 1:24pm On Mar 27, 2011
Hamid O:

I must thank Sagamite for creating such a thread, Never thought of anything like this. I'm more comfortable hanging out with my Buhari friends despite been a Ribadu fan.
The best brains in this section are the ones we have in here. I say this because I see anyone that votes for PDP (friend or family) as a m¤ron.

Indeed. It is a fantastic thread because it should refocus our attentions on what matters most. I do not , for one minute , think that Ribadu is the only man who can move Nigeria forward . That is an insult to the many talented and upright Nigerians who can do well if given the chance to lead Nigeria. Nonetheless, for where we find ourselves , and for the choices we are left with as per candidates , it is Buhari who provides the best chance of defeating the PDP. We know both Buhari and Ribadu will eschew parochialism in forming a cabinet of the most talented and upright Nigerians. The trickle down effect is what Nigeria needs i.e Great appointments to foster other great appointments till the effects are felt at street level. We saw all this demonstrated to great effect under OBJ before our former President derailed. Take the EFCC for example. Part of its success was Ribadu's hands-on approach of selecting talented and upright individuals and then supporting them with constant training and funding so they can deliver for Nigeria. Ribadu got the USA and Europe donating funds to the EFCC copiously and freely !!!! How many knew that ? Below is proof of what can be achieved when influential positions are filled on merit rather than patronage:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuhu_Ribadu

Ribadu’s achievements in the EFCC included the de-listing of Nigeria from the FATF List of Non-Cooperative Countries & Territories, admission into the prestigious Egmont Group and the withdrawal of the US Treasury FINCEN Advisory on Nigeria. They helped make the EFCC the foremost Anti-Corruption Enforcement Agency on the continent, cementing Ribadu's reputation in the world as a respected anti-corruption crusader.

On the issue of Tinubu , I think folks don't know Tinubu and Ribadu well enough. Already , Ribadu won the battle to give the VP ticket to Okonjo-Iweala despite Tinubu's objections. It was Okonjo-Iweala herself that turned the offer down. Ribadu would not budge. If Yar Adua , nowhere near as resolute as Ribadu , can virtually relegate OBJ , far more a vengeful bully than Tinubu, to the level of almost zero political relevance where do people then get the idea that Tinubu will control Ribadu? Does that make sense to anyone ? Does the Yar Adua example not show us that , once sworn in , a President , if the will is Present , can do his own thing ? Yar Adua reversed many of OBJ's policies almost immediately . He moved against OBJ's "son" Andy Ubah and rescinded the sale of Refineries to OBJ's cronies (Otedola et al) . He even probed OBJ's NIPP scheme !!!!! The only problem was that Yar Adua was not doing those things to replace them with something better. He was just doing it because his clannish cabal wanted him to neuter and embarrass OBJ . Unlike Yar Adua , Ribadu is committed to doing what is right . Tinubu is not a problem at all.

In any case , Tinubu is not OBJ or even Anenih. My Uncle is an ACN senatorial candidates . While sagacious and intelligent , Tinubu is nowhere near as dictatorial or as crude as OBJ, Anenih et al . That is the truth. Folks , less resolute and less brave than Ribadu , fought Tinubu to a standstill over imposition of candidates . Many got their way over Tinubu. That is something not well known . It is only desperate PDP fans going around portraying Tinubu as this uber powerful controller of others . The truth could not be more different. If Tinubu tries what he has done to Fashola with Ribadu , if he is President , then Tinubu is only heading for jail. Not many could bluff Ribadu when he did not have supreme executive power and it is ridiculous to now think that will be the case if he is President . OBJ did even far more for Yar Adua than Tinubu is doing for Ribadu yet look at how quickly Yar Adua kicked OBJ to the curb !!!!!
Re: Why Buhari Over Ribadu? by Katsumoto: 1:32pm On Mar 27, 2011
^^^^^^^^^^^

I share your sentiments but it is difficult to allay such fears during a campaign without losing your support base. Regardless of who wins this election, Ribadu must reach out to grass-roots and not just the progressive-minded Nigerians. I believe that in the future, Nigeria will profit from having a better pool of presidential candidates as this years election promises to be more exciting than elections of previous years.
Re: Why Buhari Over Ribadu? by Gbawe: 2:18pm On Mar 27, 2011
Katsumoto:

^^^^^^^^^^^

I share your sentiments but it is difficult to allay such fears during a campaign without losing your support base. Regardless of who wins this election, Ribadu must reach out to grass-roots and not just the progressive-minded Nigerians. I believe that in the future, Nigeria will profit from having a better pool of presidential candidates as this years election promises to be more exciting than elections of previous years.

I know- and this is why I don't comment much on that issue . We heard , ages ago , that OBJ was routing for unfancied Olurin and yet this is precisely what has happened in testimony to how some are complete and unflinching dictators who must get their way always. OBJ decided that Obi must make way for his "son" Andy Ubah in 2006 despite Obi being the choice of the people . OBJ did not care . He disgracefully went on to get Obi impeached so as to impose Ubah on the good people of Anambra . Tinubu , on the other hand , capitulated to the popularity of Fashola in Lagos by backing down on his attempt to replace the Lagos governor. 

I am no fan of Tinubu yet I can say he is not an enemy of progress in the crude and unreasonable mode of some of the dinosaurs still marauding the Nigerian politcal horizon . I resent the cheap efforts to portray him as Enemy "numero uno" . Furthermore , even as he always wants to 'get paid' , Tinubu is not anti-development as many of the nearnderthals who can never temper their greed with  the humanitarian consideration that many Nigerians should not live as they do currently . Tinubu was behind many of the initiatives fashola is now getting accolades for eg BRT, Eko Atlantic city et al.

One thing many folks do not understand is how Nigerian politics  , currently and behind the scene , is controlled entirely by money. We will be here making the same noise for 2000 years if we think penniless folks like Wole Soyinka can liberate us from the choking grasp  of the PDP .  Tinubu , for reasons too many to list and explain here , is a "neccessary evil" as they say. This is the realisation Ribadu too came to accept .
Re: Why Buhari Over Ribadu? by isquar3d3(m): 2:33pm On Mar 27, 2011
I'v read all wat u guys have had 2 say nd its been worthwhile. This is d first time i'l be declaring my support 4 Ribadu on nland. I'v alwys followd d debates here nd obviously, amongst those who'v been contributing, Buhari seems 2 b popular here. Having said that, i'l tel u dt there r many nlanders who r jst like me. We might nt say much nd argue in favour of Ribadu here, bt we already hv our minds made up. As 4 Tinubu, i might nt knw much, bt i know one thing, he has a penchant 4 producing candidates dt always perform. Yes, he might b wat pple say he is bt we shld nt 4get dt any1 he brings out as a candidate always stand out and they alwys perform evn wit hs seemingly 'godlike' attitude. See Fashola, Fayemi, Oshiomole nd odas. Whether Ribadu is mingling wt thieves or nt, he hs d passion 2 help Nigerians. Like he alwys says, 'we will do it'. Wldn't it b wonderfl 2 hv Ribadu there in Aso Rock nd Fashola here in Lagos, connecting, networking, linking up. D possibilities of a world class state beta imagined. Anyway, i knw it wil b difficult, nigh impossible 2 win ds electn outrightly, i won't cast my vote 4 any oda persn jst because my candidate might nt win. I'l stick wit my choice. Dts d beauty of democracy.
Re: Why Buhari Over Ribadu? by Barkono: 2:41pm On Mar 27, 2011
Utterly useless man!

@Sagamite, Take am easy na
Re: Why Buhari Over Ribadu? by ektbear: 2:44pm On Mar 27, 2011
Gbawe:

One thing many folks do not understand is how Nigerian politics  , currently and behind the scene , is controlled entirely by money. We will be here making the same noise for 2000 years if we think penniless folks like Wole Soyinka can liberate us from the choking grasp  of the PDP .  Tinubu , for reasons too many to list and explain here , is a "neccessary evil" as they say. This is the realisation Ribadu too came to accept .

Well said!
Re: Why Buhari Over Ribadu? by dinachi(m): 2:48pm On Mar 27, 2011
Honestly, I dont understand how anybody could compare BUHARI to Ribadu. Ladies and gentlemen Ribadu has zero Executive or Legislative experience. Apart from doing Obj's bidding in the glorified police station what else is he known for? Ribadu is largely untested, truth is I dont trust him with power. On the other hand Buhari has been a head of state, governor, minister infact Buhari is even more experienced than Jonathan yet he did not only suppress corruption but also performed very with his integrity still intact . My candid opinion is that Ribadu should have gone for house of reps instead of coming to tamper with Buhari's vote in the north! As for the Nn24 presidential debates, my take is that eloquence and ac tion are two diffrent things!
Re: Why Buhari Over Ribadu? by proudly9ja(m): 4:03pm On Mar 27, 2011
@ Gbawe,

I like the way we r discussing this without sentiments.

Remember that this comparison is between Ribadu n Buhari. Buhari has started a party which in less than a year without d obvious money bags has made itself d strongest opposition to d ruling party. That should count as something for d guy nah.
Re: Why Buhari Over Ribadu? by efisher(m): 4:15pm On Mar 27, 2011
isquar3d3:

I'v read all wat u guys have had 2 say nd its been worthwhile. This is d first time i'l be declaring my support 4 Ribadu on nland. I'v alwys followd d debates here nd obviously, amongst those who'v been contributing, Buhari seems 2 b popular here. Having said that, i'l tel u dt there r many nlanders who r jst like me. We might nt say much nd argue in favour of Ribadu here, bt we already hv our minds made up. As 4 Tinubu, i might nt knw much, bt i know one thing, he has a penchant 4 producing candidates dt always perform. Yes, he might b wat pple say he is bt we shld nt 4get dt any1 he brings out as a candidate always stand out and they alwys perform evn wit hs seemingly 'godlike' attitude. See Fashola, Fayemi, Oshiomole nd odas. Whether Ribadu is mingling wt thieves or nt, he hs d passion 2 help Nigerians. Like he alwys says, 'we will do it'. Wldn't it b wonderfl 2 hv Ribadu there in Aso Rock nd Fashola here in Lagos, connecting, networking, linking up. D possibilities of a world class state beta imagined. Anyway, i knw it wil b difficult, nigh impossible 2 win ds electn outrightly, i won't cast my vote 4 any oda persn jst because my candidate might nt win. I'l stick wit my choice. Dts d beauty of democracy.

You either read my mind or I read yours. grin grin grin
The only party with hard evidence to show for capacity and good performance. ACN is the only party in Nigeria today that has people who will promise something and people will believe that they can perform. They are the true voice of hope. They have shown that they can manage the country effectively and restore pride. they have shown that they have guts. Ribadu will have no choice but to perform if he gets in there. Look at their campaign strategy. They have employed the most modern methods, Not just by crude sentimental crowd gathering. Birds of the same feather flock together. That is one reason they did not jeopardize their party's standards by joining forces with CPC.
Re: Why Buhari Over Ribadu? by Sagamite(m): 4:17pm On Mar 27, 2011
Gbawe:

@Sagamite.

Good thread. I agree with the reasons you listed for choosing Ribadu over Buhari . My reasons are precisely the same . I have met Ribadu in the UK a few times. His energy and passion for Nigeria and Nigerians is palpable. The man is very bright despite people thinking otherwise because he does not speak like Obama. For those who are eloquent themselves  , and thus not distracted by oral profficiency, it is easy to concentrate on the qualities that are important in our next President .

Abi o!

It is shocking that the mentality of my people is so low that shallow things play more importance than substance.

The person that speaks the more fone is the most intelligent.

The person that make has the most money is the most intelligent.

The person that has the highest exam (e.g. SAT) scores is the most intelligent.

The utter failure of our education system.

Gbawe:

Most of the time I like to work with science and logic rather than sentiments. I think this has gotten me reasonably far in life. I rarely gamble and never leave anything to chance, "divine intervention" or "luck" .

Someone should be President because he seems to have luck?

The most moooronic thing I have heard so far in 2011. Those people should not only have a right to vote, but should be lined up and taken to the woods and shot.

proudly9ja:

I think Gbawe has said it all.

For me it had to be one of the two but the moment Ribadu opted to run under ACN, I dropped my support for him. So far, he has not disappointed especially with his public denial of his statement several years ago fo Tinubu's fraudulent activities.

In addition, I strongly feel that an ACN government will not be too different from a PDP government in the loong run. It will be the same 2 steps forward, several steps backwards we've been having for 12 years now. With ACN, loads of people who 'contributed' to the campaign will have to be compensated, not just Tinubu.

That's why Im in total support of CPC. I didn't vote Buhari in 2003 and 2007 because I didn't believe he would succeed under the party structures he registered with. I am glad this time around he has started his own party i.e. the CPC. There are no godfathers to compensate. The success or failures of the CPC government will be down to the men at the top.

On Buhari's 'knowledge' or not being in tune with modern trends, I don't think this is a problem. I have told people continuously that governing Nigeria is not too hard a job. If we have a leader who truly and genuinely wants change, all he needs to do is put the right people in the right places and back them up.
The rest will take care of itself.

There is no other platform he can be on that he would realistically have a chance. Even with ACN he seems to be in third place at the moment.

I would gladly have Ridabu let Tinubu go (if he is guilty of any looting) and clamping down on all other looters than not have Ribadu at all.

And I would rather risk holding my guns, based on the Ribadu I know, to see how he would evolve when he gets to the top after using Tinubu to climb to the top.
Re: Why Buhari Over Ribadu? by efisher(m): 4:30pm On Mar 27, 2011
^ Good point you inspired in me there. Which other party can we think of that would have painted Ribadu in better light than ACN. Every party has these people we percieve to be corrupt. Buhari's party is not free either. He has an Abacha running under his platform. I do not know the key sponsors but if I am to compare party values, I will put ACN far ahead because ACN is a party of technocrats and well educated individuals many of who have global exposure.
Re: Why Buhari Over Ribadu? by nulldev: 4:35pm On Mar 27, 2011
Gbawe:

I know- and this is why I don't comment much on that issue . We heard , ages ago , that OBJ was routing for unfancied Olurin and yet this is precisely what has happened in testimony to how some are complete and unflinching dictators who must get their way always. OBJ decided that Obi must make way for his "son" Andy Ubah in 2006 despite Obi being the choice of the people . OBJ did not care . He disgracefully went on to get Obi impeached so as to impose Ubah on the good people of Anambra . Tinubu , on the other hand , capitulated to the popularity of Fashola in Lagos by backing down on his attempt to replace the Lagos governor. 

I am no fan of Tinubu yet I can say he is not an enemy of progress in the crude and unreasonable mode of some of the dinosaurs still marauding the Nigerian politcal horizon . I resent the cheap efforts to portray him as Enemy "numero uno" . Furthermore , even as he always wants to 'get paid' , Tinubu is not anti-development as many of the nearnderthals who can never temper their greed with  the humanitarian consideration that many Nigerians should not live as they do currently . Tinubu was behind many of the initiatives fashola is now getting accolades for eg BRT, Eko Atlantic city et al.

I think you and Katsumoto summed up what I was going to say. Tinubu is being used as a bogey man here from allegations that ACN members have to sing songs praising him before meetings to Bode George accusing him of sending him to Jail. If by some miracle Ribadu wins this election the big stick Tinubu can use with Fashola which is legislative control cannot apply as ACN cannot even in a best case scenario control the National assembly out rightly. Fola Adeola was on Channels yesterday and was asked about the Tinubu factor, he's answer (which I agree with) was that there is no way Tinubu will approach men like Nuhu Ribadu and himself to run on the ACN platform and expect to retain control over the presidency. He would have drafted an insider as VP to mind the till so to speak.

As for Buhari, I do not doubt the man's integrity but let us not get deluded that he is a progressive. We have a rare opportunity where he's interests and that of all progressives collide but that does not auto-magically make him a progressive. I do not recall him speaking out during the June 12 affair or weighing on the killing of progressives under Abacha. A government he happily served in. Jakande has not recovered politically from serving in that government yet we want to sweep that episode under the carpet.

My main grouse with a Buhari presidency is, I do not see him achieving much beyond fighting corruption. He was talking about persuading legislators to reduce their salaries (good luck with that) and setting up probe panels and the like.  Corruption is one of the biggest problems we have as a nation but if all we are going to do is fight corruption for 4 years then what happens if 4 years from now a corrupt individual takes over? He will reverse the gains we have made within 6 months!

We need systematic changes that will reduce the power and influence of the Federal government THAT is how we make lasting changes. Take a look at the speed with which IBB dismantled the war against indiscipline when he took over. What lasting legacy can Buhari point to from he's regime?

I support Ribadu not because I believe he is the most qualified person to lead us but because ever since leaving the EFCC he has firmly  being in the progressive camp. At grave personal risk he came for Gani's burial while in exile. Femi Falana touched on that here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOz3F5AYkn4

He regularly connected with Nigerians in the diaspora while away and I had the honour of attending a state of the nation lecture in 2009 where he was a guest and he's passion for Nigeria is obvious.
Re: Why Buhari Over Ribadu? by Katsumoto: 4:44pm On Mar 27, 2011
Sagamite:

Abi o!

It is shocking that the mentality of my people is so low that shallow things play more importance than substance.

Someone should be President because he seems to have luck?

The most moooronic thing I have heard so far in 2011. Those people should not only have a right to vote, but should be lined up and taken to the woods and shot.

There is no other platform he can be on that he would realistically have a chance. Even with ACN he seems to be in third place at the moment.

I would gladly have Ridabu let Tinubu go (if he is guilty of any looting) and clamping down on all other looters than not have Ribadu at all.

And I would rather risk holding my guns, based on the Ribadu I know, to see how he would evolve when he gets to the top after using Tinubu to climb to the top.

Sagamite,

You of all people should realise that not all will analyse the issue in the manner in which you have done. At the end of the day, elections are not won by only intelligent people voting. Elections are won by everyone voting, including idiots. To win an election, you have to position yourself strategically. Unfortunately for Ribadu, this election has come to soon.

I equally feel that for all the rumours and allegations about Tinubu, he will likely recommend good people to assist Ribadu to take Nigeria forward. I also think that ACN hurt Ribadu's chances by going for Adeola. Adeola brings not much to the table. ACN has a base in the West; so that zone was secured. Allegedly, they did go for Okonjo-Iweala (I think that was an excellent choice) and would have secured more votes in the East. After Okonjo-Iweala turned down the opportunity, they should have gone for other progressive minded candidates such as Duke (they can't use Sanusi for obvious reasons), but instead, they settled for Adeola.

Now contrast that with Buhari with his support in the North and his decision to with Bakare from the Save Nigeria Group (not a huge base but a base nonetheless).

Election is a game of numbers.
Re: Why Buhari Over Ribadu? by nulldev: 4:51pm On Mar 27, 2011
efisher:

You either read my mind or I read yours.  grin grin grin
The only party with hard evidence to show for capacity and good performance. ACN is the only party in Nigeria today that has people who will promise something and people will believe that they can perform. They are the true voice of hope. They have shown that they can manage the country effectively and restore pride. they have shown that they have guts. Ribadu will have no choice but to perform if he gets in there. Look at their campaign strategy. They have employed the most modern methods, Not just by crude sentimental crowd gathering. Birds of the same feather flock together. That is one reason they did not jeopardize their party's standards by joining forces with CPC.

I think the bolded is worth noting, Ribadu and Adeola have being holding regular Q&A sessions and talking up policies on twitter:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HXiHFDoALg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIgLC5vtCqA&feature=related
http://twitter.com/nuhuribadu
http://twitter.com/nuhuribadu

They are not just doing the screaming down a mic at a rally shtick.
Re: Why Buhari Over Ribadu? by Sagamite(m): 4:55pm On Mar 27, 2011
Katsumoto:

Sagamite,

You of all people should realise that not all will analyse the issue in the manner in which you have done. At the end of the day, elections are not won by only intelligent people voting. Elections are won by everyone voting, including idiots. To win an election, you have to position yourself strategically. Unfortunately for Ribadu, this election has come to soon.

I have no doubt. Unfortunately democracy gives them the right to vote. That is the weakness of democracy. I have even seen some people on NL say they will vote for Shekarau because of his oratory.

I am already resigned to the fact that Silverback Gorilla will get the most vote. I am just hoping he does not get the amount required to win outright.

My speculation is:

1) GEJ
2) Buhari
3) Ribadu
4) Shekarau

Lets now have a run-off between him and Buhari. And hopefully Buhari should win.

Katsumoto:

I equally feel that for all the rumours and allegations about Tinubu, he will likely recommend good people to assist Ribadu to take Nigeria forward. I also think that ACN hurt Ribadu's chances by going for Adeola. Adeola brings not much to the table. ACN has a base in the West; so that zone was secured. Allegedly, they did go for Okonjo-Iweala (I think that was an excellent choice) and would have secured more votes in the East. After Okonjo-Iweala turned down the opportunity, they should have gone for other progressive minded candidates such as Duke (they can't use Sanusi for obvious reasons), but instead, they settled for Adeola.

Now contrast that with Buhari with his support in the North and his decision to with Bakare from the Save Nigeria Group (not a huge base but a base nonetheless).

Election is a game of numbers.

You are so effing on point, it is shocking.

They should have gone for Duke.
Re: Why Buhari Over Ribadu? by proudly9ja(m): 5:17pm On Mar 27, 2011
^^^ Duke was one of the options but he refused

edit: oops tot u wree talking about CPC
Re: Why Buhari Over Ribadu? by PeeDaVinci: 5:18pm On Mar 27, 2011
im a ribadu fan, and ribadu has all the good qualities that one can identify in buhari. however, the northerners considers him too westerner (yoruba-ish) for their liking, and so, momentum in the north is on the side of buhari. given the fact that the tendency to grow bigger increases with size, buhari edged ribadu out. and in order to root out pdp, i am decamping to buhari's camp. will wish acn to seriously consider merger with cpc too
Re: Why Buhari Over Ribadu? by proudly9ja(m): 5:21pm On Mar 27, 2011
Sagamite:

U should read this:

http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=42148%3Abakare-we-cannot-make-progress-unless-we-return-to-true-federalism-&catid=104%3Asunday-magazine&Itemid=567
Re: Why Buhari Over Ribadu? by Sagamite(m): 5:47pm On Mar 27, 2011
proudly9ja:

U should read this:

http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=42148%3Abakare-we-cannot-make-progress-unless-we-return-to-true-federalism-&catid=104%3Asunday-magazine&Itemid=567

Mate, that article is kind of long. And I don't know what part of it you want me to focus on.

Oops! Just say your post before this about Duke refusing. I take it that is the focus.

I read a bit of it though.

I was worried about this part where they were consulting with a criminal that seems to have a significant influence in their circle.

I called Pastor Adeboye and he surprised me because I thought he would say no way, but I played into his hands.  When we went to meet with President Jonathan, the documents we gave to him, we also submitted to Pastor Adeboye and he asked, ‘who is the best person that can salvage Nigeria?’

I told him, ‘from all I have seen, the person that can rescue us right now is Muhammadu Buhari, but he has no money. He is popular in the North, he does not have a clue of how to come into the South because of so many things they’ve hung on his head over the years.’

I was still not persuaded. I went again to meet Pastor Adeboye, submitted what we were doing. He said, ‘if you are ever considering Muhammadu Buhari, then you need to look for a strong Christian to be his running mate.’ The emphasis was strong. And I stood up and said, ‘we will look for the strong Christian, but I want you to know that it cannot be me; I’m satisfied with what I’m doing.’

. . . . . . . . . . .

Tinubu was one of the first people I called after Buhari made that call. To cut the long story short, by the time I called Pastor Adeboye, he said, ‘in that you did not lobby for this, it is an opportunity for you to express everything you have carried for this nation. Move forward?’

[b]I called him (Adeboye) again the second day and said, ‘sir, will you support me?’ [/b]He said, ‘with everything I have got in my own way, just go for it; I will be praying.’

Ahh! That is too much dependence on a thief.

Giving this criminal that level of high up influence if they win would only strenghten his ability to milk his congregation more.  undecided
Re: Why Buhari Over Ribadu? by Gbawe: 7:20pm On Mar 27, 2011
nulldev:

I think you and Katsumoto summed up what I was going to say. Tinubu is being used as a bogey man here from allegations that ACN members have to sing songs praising him before meetings to Bode George accusing him of sending him to Jail. If by some miracle Ribadu wins this election the big stick Tinubu can use with Fashola which is legislative control cannot apply as ACN cannot even in a best case scenario control the National assembly out rightly. Fola Adeola was on Channels yesterday and was asked about the Tinubu factor, he's answer (which I agree with) was that there is no way Tinubu will approach men like Nuhu Ribadu and himself to run on the ACN platform and expect to retain control over the presidency. He would have drafted an insider as VP to mind the till so to speak.

As for Buhari, I do not doubt the man's integrity but let us not get deluded that he is a progressive. We have a rare opportunity where he's interests and that of all progressives collide but that does not auto-magically make him a progressive. I do not recall him speaking out during the June 12 affair or weighing on the killing of progressives under Abacha. A government he happily served in. Jakande has not recovered politically from serving in that government yet we want to sweep that episode under the carpet.

My main grouse with a Buhari presidency is, I do not see him achieving much beyond fighting corruption. He was talking about persuading legislators to reduce their salaries (good luck with that) and setting up probe panels and the like.  Corruption is one of the biggest problems we have as a nation but if all we are going to do is fight corruption for 4 years then what happens if 4 years from now a corrupt individual takes over? He will reverse the gains we have made within 6 months!

We need systematic changes that will reduce the power and influence of the Federal government THAT is how we make lasting changes. Take a look at the speed with which IBB dismantled the war against indiscipline when he took over. What lasting legacy can Buhari point to from he's regime?

I support Ribadu not because I believe he is the most qualified person to lead us but because ever since leaving the EFCC he has firmly  being in the progressive camp. At grave personal risk he came for Gani's burial while in exile. Femi Falana touched on that here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOz3F5AYkn4

He regularly connected with Nigerians in the diaspora while away and I had the honour of attending a state of the nation lecture in 2009 where he was a guest and he's passion for Nigeria is obvious.

Great post overall and your conclusion is spot on. It is like buying a deodorant . Do you want one that last 6 hours or would you prefer one that is efficient for 24 hours? Ribadu has been exemplary out of office 24/7 . It is instructive that he shunned lucrative job offers to continue an effort to consolidate his strenghts and skills towards gaining a  podium upon which to serve Nigeria . That is what top-level patriots are made of . We have had many technocrats who have walked away as soon as the Government messed them around . Okonjo-Iweala, Ezekwesili and Babalola readily come to mind. Aganga , with the slightest heat , will dissapear quicker than you can say "you dey go prison". This is what sets those who can be enablers apart from those who are not enablers yet can work wonders if given the free hand to deliver ,  unhindered,  by the enablers . It is important we recognise the difference i.e know the enablers apart from those who benefit from being enabled. We should then understand that , for the problems facing Nigeria currently , we need an enabler as President .

Ribadu has not stopped using his skills to promote our Nation and its interests even while on exile .  We can all tout the Utomi's and co but those guys , even if they can deliver , are probably not enablers IMO . They may find it difficult to inspire and protect others when corruption and vested interests fight back .
Re: Why Buhari Over Ribadu? by 9ijaMan: 8:28pm On Mar 27, 2011
I'll try to add my two cents without being utterly biased towards Buhari, the candidate I've always supported.

Comparing Ribadu to Buhari is like comparing a child who's just started schooling to his teacher.

INTEGRITY
Ribadu lost the respect people like me had for him the day he declared that the EFCC he led never investigated GEJ's wife, despite the clear evidence of the case file available for all to see. He also goofed when he lied during the NN24 debate denying what he had said about Tinubu in the past. Hence on grounds of integrity, Ribadu IMO is just a few inches ahead of GEJ and miles behind Buhari. I cannot recollect any instance where Buhari's integrity has ever been questioned.

EXPERIENCE
The only, I repeat, only achievement which Ribadu has to his name remains his sojourn at EFCC. Even during his EFCC days every discerning Nigerians know that he was mainly doing OBJ's bidding, I need not go into the details of this as the likes of Tony Anenih (Mr fix it) are still around today. Buhari has been there and seen it all. There have been several threads on NL and writeups on the internet extolling Buhari's achievements in virtually every instance when he was in position of leadership (Governor of North-Eastern region, petroleum minister, NNPC chairman, HOS, PTF chairman). Buhari's success as a leader far exceeds Ribadu's. One important quality of a leader is his/her ability to pick the right team comprising of individuals who will share his aspirations and dreams and subsequently achieve their set goals. Every team Buhari led excelled in their discharge of duties.

Let's look a the larger world, by assuming Nigeria to be a business corporation which is searching for a new CEO. Larry Page & Sergey Brin co-founded Google in 1998 and had to hire an experienced Eric Schmidt in 2001 as CEO to help direct the affairs of the growing business. Today, under the tutelage of Schmidt, Google has grown to be one of the most successful corporations in the world. Schmidt will finally hand over to Page in a few days (April 4, 2011 to be precise). How many large corporations in the world choose their CEO's based on the assumptions that he's just young and energetic, as some of us have alluded above about Ribadu? I know some will argue this and site Fashola as an example, but they will forget to mention that Fashola was a member of Tinubu's tink-tank team. Fashola learned the ropes under Tinubu in addition to his years of experience in the private sector.

Buhari's PTF can be likened to a private sector establishment which was completely independent of the government of Abacha, apart from the stable supply of funds which provided by the government for the execution of the projects. Ribadu has no such experience. He was simply the head of an anti-corruption team. I personally do not want a president who will be learning on the job.

KNOWLEDGE about NIGERIA's PROBLEMS
A first look at the NN-24 debate, I was one of the staunch supporters of Buhari who admitted that Buhari could have done a lot better. In fact I voted for Shekarau in the poll set up after the debate on NL, and I scored Ribadu the least 'cos he was the most disappointing on the night. I have taken my time to analyze the debate again, carefully avoiding to be swayed by Shekarau's eloquence and oratory prowess. I listened attentively to the substance of their debate and came to a very simple conclusion: Shekarau's answers were not much different from as those proffered by Buhari. I will post some comments later to buttress my point here. Overall, Ribadu lacked in-depth knowledge when compared to either Buhari or Shekarau on just about every topic discussed about issues plaguing our national development.

COMPETENCE
On the issue of competence on the job, Buhari and Ribadu will probably be scored equally. While the former is know to be a man of little words and a real achiever, the latter is a bit loud mouthed but again he performed his duties as EFCC chairman in a competent manner, at least considering those OBJ opponents he was unleashed upon. While the younger Ribadu is flamboyant, Buhari is asutere. The high point for Buhari here is that he has managed just about every sphere of the Nigerian socio-economic climate and knows how to go about making the real difference we truly clamor, on the other hand Ribadu is only known to have received directives on who to arrest and those who remain untouchables.

My next post will highlight what I summed up during my analysis of the NN24 debate.
Re: Why Buhari Over Ribadu? by cheikh: 8:29pm On Mar 27, 2011
Gbawe
Buhari , for all inherent limitations, is the best chance of defeating the PDP. If we juxtapose that consideration with the notion that he will definately fight corruption and is highly likely to employ the most meritocratically deserving and most upright Nigerians [/b]to very important office then we can conclude that , without doubt , Buhari is a better bet than Ribadu.

@Gbawe    ^^
Gbam!! I hope.

[b]Katsumoto

While Buhari is able to tackle corruption, it doesn't appear that he may be able to offer more. Ribadu on the otherhand, might be restricted in his ability to tackle corruption but will likely be surrounded by smart people who will take Nigeria foreword.
Both are good candidates.

@Katsumoto  ^^
That's exactly what i'am thinking  indeed. I hope with Bakare as his VP, he'll be able to transcend that perceived handicap and offer more than just anti-corruption fight but dynamic, purposeful/creative government fit for the times.
Re: Why Buhari Over Ribadu? by 9ijaMan: 8:46pm On Mar 27, 2011
Below is a short analysis about the NN24 debate. I have not been able to work on the remaining part of the debate.

Opening Statements: All Candidates faired ok.

On Antecedents:
Shekarau faired well in his response about the activities of the Hisbah Police in Kano and confidently defended the film/movie
censorship board. I liked his response on that.
Ribadu performed well below par in his response to the questions raised on his past comments about Tinubu and corruption. Ribadu was not entirely truthful in his response.
Buhari faired well in his response about his military past. His response on being democratic as a military leader was concise. IMO he
answered the question well, stating clearly that if he were not democratic he would not have stayed in court for 50months when the
2003 and 2007 elections were rigged against him.

On Niger Delta Problems:
Ribadu's response was to vague to make much out of. He only kept harping on a marshal plan without specifically mentioning what such a plan will entail.
Buhari and Shekarau said just about the same thing, but Shekarau would appear to be better, due to his more facile delivery. They both said they'll have to meet with the militants, but more particularly with their local community chiefs and leaders to get to the bottom of the problem.
Their (Shekarau & Buhari) responses were not a real answer, but a way to first get to the root of the problem with a view of being able to proffer a lasting solution to the ND crisis. Buhari deviated though when he started out talking about investors not coming to ND because of kidnapping etc, but he clearly identified the genesis of the ND arms struggle.

On Power:
Shekarau gave a below par response on the issue of Power. He only stuck to decentralizing & privatizing the power sector.
Buhari was old fashion here. Even though he made valid points by referring to repairing the existing power generating dams and thermal stations. He however failed to mention specifically how much output will be obtained from these repairs and upgrades. He completely went out of the scope of the question when he kept harping on probing the past (PDP) government, if he wins the election, for the billions squandered on Power in the last 12 years. However, I do agree with him that we need to know why PDP failed for 12 years in order for us not to repeat the same problems.

Ribadu identified some important points on how to move the sector forward but still didn't give specific figures on what output will be
generated and by when. Ribadu was also not truthful when he attacked Buhari's figures on power in 1999 and the amount spent to date. Ribadu said we had 2GW, but we actually had almost 3GW. He also said PDP had spent about $10+ billion on power over the last 12 years. Buhari was closer to the truth, PDP has spent around $16 billion on power. PDP has actually spent $16 billion to generate 1GW, assuming we actually have the 4GW FG claimed recently. Ribadu also failed to tell us how the various new technology power generation methods would be funded, considering the fact that fossil fuel and hydro power generation remains the cheapest worldwide to date.

On Multinational Oil companies:
Ribadu alone had the chance to answer this question, however his response was ok.

I will try to post the analysis of the remaining part of the debate later.
Re: Why Buhari Over Ribadu? by cheikh: 9:17pm On Mar 27, 2011
Sagamite
Abi o!

@Sagamite ^^
You are definitely not a Nigerian grin cheesy
You are too impatient and certainly not a 'Nigerian' politician
In Nigerian Politics Money matters; Numbers and perhaps ethnicity(tribe) takes precedence over quality. In any case politics is a game of numbers in every society.
You are a little too impatient and uncharitable towards our people for our "ignorance" or "uninformed" tendencies/behaviour wink. What else do you expect from the Nigeria socio-economic environment? You are certainly a smart person, wink so I expect a little compassion and understanding from you. Your exasperation is understandable and in order too grin
Re: Why Buhari Over Ribadu? by MaiSuya(m): 9:37pm On Mar 27, 2011
This is beautiful! cheesy Wasn't expecting to see such refreshingly decent and incisive thread around.

Would have suggested making this sticky, but i know say [i]some [/i]people go begin scream partiality. . . lipsrsealed
Re: Why Buhari Over Ribadu? by Chrisbenogor(m): 10:02pm On Mar 27, 2011
Oga Sagamite I greet oh!

Very nice informative thread, Nigerians are not dumb we know when something is wrong. The only people canvassing support for GEJ are idiots, but hey we need them along with those who want to vote because of tribe and religion because at the end of the day we have a very large population of illiterates. This is where my support of buhari is based, if for anything he  would be the first man to make the much derided Almajiri's in this country relevant by using them to kick out the pdp. I have spoken to a lot of people from northern Nigeria and to see how these people support him without even knowing him directly can shake you to the core.

Another huge factor is the man's integrity and his aura just exudes honesty, watching the NN24 debates he did not come across as the most eloquent but as the one with less political baggage, I have no doubt in my mind that Ribadu would be able to put up a fight against corruption but I feel buhari would have more guts to go after someone like obj. Like my big brothers have said here, breaking the system the pdp has in place is very important for us to move forward as a country its effect would be felt for generations to come, but it also has to have a legal backing and background which is where I think the ACn is needed.

I have been secretly hoping that both parties realised that a merger would be too early now, it could send a wrong message to their different support bases and then the best bet would be to force a run off between either of them and GEJ in which case the other party has a better excuse to back the other for the run-off. This way the pdp would be off balance and it makes doubly sure that they are kicked out, it would be better for the ACN to win the SW and CPC take most of the North hopefully leaving GEJ to struggle for the remaining votes. That way everybody's integrity remains intact.

Furthermore if Buhari does win then it would be the first election where people power decided and it would be a good omen, I do not see him stooping as low as rigging elections to put himself back in or who he supports. My two cents.
Re: Why Buhari Over Ribadu? by Katsumoto: 10:03pm On Mar 27, 2011
Sagamite:

I have no doubt. Unfortunately democracy gives them the right to vote. That is the weakness of democracy. I have even seen some people on NL say they will vote for Shekarau because of his oratory.

I am already resigned to the fact that Silverback Gorilla will get the most vote. I am just hoping he does not get the amount required to win outright.

My speculation is:

1) GEJ
2) Buhari
3) Ribadu
4) Shekarau

Lets now have a run-off between him and Buhari. And hopefully Buhari should win.

You are so effing on point, it is shocking.

I don't think PDP or any of the parties can win this election outrightly. The advantage for the Ribadu and Buhari parties is that both will absorb the voters of the other party in the event of a run-off with GEJ. That is ominous for PDP and I am certain they must be aware of this. If they are, then they will mapping their strategy to rig the election and avoid a run-off as they know that they will be unlikely to win the run-off.

I hope that all the parties are preparing to counter any rigging tactics. It is going to be quite shameful, despite the high interest in this election and awareness of desperation on the part of PDP, if rigging determines this election in PDP's favour.
Re: Why Buhari Over Ribadu? by doja(m): 11:20pm On Mar 27, 2011
Wow what a thread! were have I been all day?

Almost everyone here agrees to the fact that Ribadu will be a good president because of what we know about him, his sharp intelligence and the acceptance he has in the international community but the issue seem to be that some people feel he is guilty by association.

There are certain questions I had like to ask people who seem not to be comfortable with Tinubu and they are as follows;

How come Tinubu is not  lording himself over Adams Oshiomole of Edo State? Edo state is working very well.
How come each time this man insist on a particular candidate for any position the candidates ends up being a good choice?
Tinubu left office 4 years ago, how come no one has been able to convict him or even arrest him for corruption?

All that said, do we honestly believe that Ribadu can be pushed around by anybody?I do not believe so and we can see evidence of that in the way he carried out his work @EFCC.

Buhari is a good man with a passion to put things right , instill discipline and correct some mistakes of the past, these qualities  are not lacking in Ribadu infact, he has all these qualities and more.

Add this to the fact that Ribadu is in a party that has been tested, a party that has been known for the quality of ideas they bring forth in their domain, a party whose structure is getting stronger by the day. Same cannot be said of CPC the party has remain largely untested and like I said before now, remove  a Buhari from CPC and the party becomes 'empty' compare this with an ACN that has the likes of Fashola, Mamora, Abike  Dabiri , Audu ogbe, Adams oshiomole , 

Lastly, if you have a 70 year old whose ideas and principles are similar to what a 50 year old is bringing to the table and more I think it is more logical to go with the younger person because like a friend said, a 70 year old is more likely lo have hips of files unattended to in his office than a fifty year old man.

If eventually Buhari becomes the President of Nigeria in may, I will be as happy as I would be if it was my Ribadu that won because I know we are in save hands.

Re: Why Buhari Over Ribadu? by ektbear: 11:35pm On Mar 27, 2011
Sagamite:

Plurality is all that is necessary, unfortunately. One doesn't need an outright majority.

Buhari needs to get more votes in the 1st round to have a chance.
Re: Why Buhari Over Ribadu? by 9ijaMan: 11:35pm On Mar 27, 2011
doja:

Wow what a thread! were have I been all day?

Almost everyone here agrees to the fact that Ribadu will be a good president because of what we know about him, his sharp intelligence and the acceptance he has in the international community but the issue seem to be that some people feel he is guilty by association.

There are certain questions I had like to ask people who seem not to be comfortable with Tinubu and they are as follows;

How come Tinubu is not  lording himself over Adams Oshiomole of Edo State? Edo state is working very well.
How come each time this man insist on a particular candidate for any position the candidates ends up being a good choice?
Tinubu left office 4 years ago, how come no one has been able to convict him or even arrest him for corruption?

All that said, do we honestly believe that Ribadu can be pushed around by anybody?I do not believe so and we can see evidence of that in the way he carried out his work @EFCC.

Buhari is a good man with a passion to put things right , instill discipline and correct some mistakes of the past, these qualities  are not lacking in Ribadu infact, he has all these qualities and more.

Add this to the fact that Ribadu is in a party that has been tested, a party that has been known for the quality of ideas they bring forth in their domain, a party whose structure is getting stronger by the day. Same cannot be said of CPC the party has remain largely untested and like I said before now, remove  a Buhari from CPC and the party becomes 'empty' compare this with an ACN that has the likes of Fashola, Mamora, Abike  Dabiri , Audu ogbe, Adams oshiomole ,  

Lastly, if you have a 79 year old whose ideas and principles are similar to what a 50 year old is bringing to the table and more I think it is more logical to go with the younger person because like a friend said, a 79 year old is more[b] likely lo have hips of files unattended to in his office than a fifty year old man.[/b]

If eventually Buhari becomes the President of Nigeria in may, I will be as happy as I would be if it was my Ribadu that won because I know we are in save hands.
I would really like to know what extra qualities Ribadu has over Buhari.
My brother Buhari was 68 last December 17 and not 79 as you repeatedly claimed.
The real issue with a Buhari leadership which clearly sets him apart from Ribadu is his ability to make the right choices in the team he'll assemble. He's done it several times in the past and can also do it again. Ribadu may be younger, but not anywhere nere being more intelligent.

Age is nothing but numbers being younger does not mean you'd perform better. You will only look more zealous and enthusiastic, but not necessarily a better performer, particularly when being compared to someone like Buhari.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The Pdp Has Won In Kwara State's Governorship Election / Senator Pius Ewerido Refuses To Pay Ex Millitant Gen Israel Akpodoro / Heroes Across The Divide - Efiong, Achuzia

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 176
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.