Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,182,079 members, 7,916,138 topics. Date: Friday, 09 August 2024 at 04:14 PM

Police, Firefighters, Teachers Will Be Next In Line For COVID-19 Vaccine - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Police, Firefighters, Teachers Will Be Next In Line For COVID-19 Vaccine (168 Views)

Israel Shuts Schools As Pupils & Teachers Contract COVID-19 After Reopening / Bala Mohammed Tests Positive For COVID-19 / My Experience Trying To Get Tested For Covid-19 In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Police, Firefighters, Teachers Will Be Next In Line For COVID-19 Vaccine by Annabella11: 8:30am On Dec 22, 2020
Police, firefighters, teachers and grocery workers will be among those next in line for a COVID-19 vaccine, a Centers for Disease Control and Prevention advisory panel decided Sunday. 
The committee voted 13-1 to recommend that Phase 1b include people 75 and older and front-line essential workers. Phase 1c will include people 65 to 74 and people 16 to 64 who have high-risk medical conditions, along with other essential workers. 
"My hope is that these short-term recommendations will support efficiency and equity in every phase of vaccination until we can get to the time when all individuals have access to safe and effective vaccines in the U.S. and worldwide," said Dr. Grace Lee, a professor of pediatrics at Stanford University School of Medicine and committee member.
The Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices began its deliberations Sunday morning and spent the day discussing who would follow front-line health care workers and people in long-term care facilities in receiving vaccines, a second phase that could begin in February. The committee is responsible for recommending who gets what vaccines when. 
They made difficult decisions that were based on getting a vaccine as quickly as possible to people at the greatest risk of contracting COVID-19 and those who will suffer the most severe outcomes, said Dr. Sharon Fry of the Saint Louis University Medical School and a committee member.
"There are no perfect recommendations. and people will continue to become ill with this disease and die from the disease until there are adequate vaccines. So please, I will plead also for our leaders and the government to move quickly on this and support this effort," she said.
There are now two COVID-19 vaccines in use in the United States. The Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine was authorized by the Food and Drug Administration on Dec. 11. The Moderna vaccine was authorized Friday and should begin arriving at hospitals on Monday.
The United States has created a phased vaccination plan for the coronavirus because there won't be enough vaccine in the beginning of the rollout.

I hope this plan can be implemented as soon as possible, rather than just talking about it!

1 Like

Re: Police, Firefighters, Teachers Will Be Next In Line For COVID-19 Vaccine by chatinent: 8:33am On Dec 22, 2020
I hope it doesn't become partisan.
Re: Police, Firefighters, Teachers Will Be Next In Line For COVID-19 Vaccine by nicho450(m): 8:54am On Dec 22, 2020
What of Senators

(1) (Reply)

COVID-19 Immunizations Are Going 'slower' Than Expected / Could This Be Covid19 Am Developing... / Lockdown In Nigeria 2021 Fit Happun As Coronavirus Cases Dey Rise?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.