Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,190,190 members, 7,939,804 topics. Date: Wednesday, 04 September 2024 at 12:15 PM

Afe Babalola: 'Nigerian Graduates Are More Dangerous Than Illiterates' - Education (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Afe Babalola: 'Nigerian Graduates Are More Dangerous Than Illiterates' (31478 Views)

My Candid Advice For Nigerian Graduates With 2.2 / Afe Babalola University Commissions Senate Building - The White Rock / Inside Afe Babalola University Teaching Hospital (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Afe Babalola: 'Nigerian Graduates Are More Dangerous Than Illiterates' by Flynnthekidd(m): 4:20pm On Dec 23, 2020
RedPanthar:
They will attack you for this truth the same way the minister of education was attacked for saying too many graduates can't write short sentences without lots of grammatical blunders.... Anyway, I'll only laugh.. grin Make dem no cum for me grin

You're right to an extent though(Many graduates can't write short sentences without lots of grammatical blunders) but na the ones wey come flex for school at the end of the day, he go pass exam... but imagine asking an Engineer what a Transitive Verb is or asking a graduate of Economics what H2SO4 is....o wrong naw

No man is an island of Knowledge! You might be a genius is one field and at the same time be a Layman in another field...it's just the way it is. You don't expect Ben Carson to start lecturing you about Architecture or Bill Gates to teach you Biology. Lemme come down a lil bit...how will it sound if Bubu appoints a Medical doctor as CBN Governor?? Wrong right? Good! Now does that mean the Medical Doctor is a failure??
Re: Afe Babalola: 'Nigerian Graduates Are More Dangerous Than Illiterates' by RedPanthar: 4:20pm On Dec 23, 2020
Flynnthekidd:

You're righth to an extent though but imagine asking an Engineer what a Transitive Verb is or asking a graduate of Economics what H2SO4 is....o wrong naw

No man is an island of Knowledge! You might be a genius is one field and at the same time be a Layman in another field...it's just the way it is. You don't expect Ben Carson to start lecturing you about Architecture or Bill Gates to teach you Biology. Lemme come down a lil bit...how will it sound if Bubu appoints a Medical doctor as CBN Governor?? Wrong right? Good! Now does that mean the Medical Doctor is a failure??

I have been opportuned to interview and work with tons of graduates. I've interviewed atleast 2000 in the past 5 years and have worked with hundreds. 90% of Nigerian graduates school reschool abeg
Re: Afe Babalola: 'Nigerian Graduates Are More Dangerous Than Illiterates' by RedPanthar: 4:23pm On Dec 23, 2020
Flynnthekidd:

You're right to an extent though(Many graduates can't write short sentences without lots of grammatical blunders) but na the ones wey come flex for school at the end of the day, he go pass exam... but imagine asking an Engineer what a Transitive Verb is or asking a graduate of Economics what H2SO4 is....o wrong naw

And an engineer ought to know what a transitive verb is because it's a kins to how a lever uses in transmitting energy from point a to point b in engineering
Re: Afe Babalola: 'Nigerian Graduates Are More Dangerous Than Illiterates' by Jimmyubah2: 4:23pm On Dec 23, 2020
RedPanthar:
They will attack you for this truth the same way the minister of education was attacked for saying too many graduates can't write short sentences without lots of grammatical blunders.... Anyway, I'll only laugh.. grin Make dem no cum for me grin
If dem 'cum' for you, na you go leak their semen nah
Re: Afe Babalola: 'Nigerian Graduates Are More Dangerous Than Illiterates' by RedPanthar: 4:26pm On Dec 23, 2020
Jimmyubah2:

If dem 'cum' for you, na you go leak their semen nah

No go cum O undecided
Re: Afe Babalola: 'Nigerian Graduates Are More Dangerous Than Illiterates' by lebete3000: 4:28pm On Dec 23, 2020
EBMedia:

https://igberetvnews.com/1376346/nigeria-graduates-dangerous-illiterates-afe-babalola/

So this is the rubbish he's teaching his pupils' in school, after fleecing their parents of millions?

Abi was it Magellan line and Intransitive verbs he used in building the school?
Re: Afe Babalola: 'Nigerian Graduates Are More Dangerous Than Illiterates' by liver123(m): 4:38pm On Dec 23, 2020
Just because I don't know the different between transitive and intransitive verb now make me uneducated right?
Re: Afe Babalola: 'Nigerian Graduates Are More Dangerous Than Illiterates' by Acehart: 5:05pm On Dec 23, 2020
southniyikaye:
I cover my face sha
We have graduates who do not know the place and import of prepositions in grammar; graduates who do not know the use of adjectives and adverbs; graduates who do not know the place of agreement of nouns and number; graduates who do not know the import of adjectival and adverbial clauses

These ones are advanced. You didn’t even mention elementary past tense and present tense.
Re: Afe Babalola: 'Nigerian Graduates Are More Dangerous Than Illiterates' by pacespot(m): 5:16pm On Dec 23, 2020
What is this one saying, as if he was not once a graduate. The fact that you graduated at the time when education was still very valuable and rewarding does not mean that you have the bragging right to speak ill of the today's graduates whose certificates have been turned to no means than Iya basira's buns rappers. It is the failure of the governments past and present which you are also part of, and years of misrule and corruption that constituted to Nigerian graduates not performing to expectation in this country.

Where is the structure that you want graduates to exercise their talents in today's Nigeria?
Re: Afe Babalola: 'Nigerian Graduates Are More Dangerous Than Illiterates' by teespicy: 5:17pm On Dec 23, 2020
IgiveLadiesBj:
shocked

Just finished NYSC.

Frustration is creeping in
Go easy on yourself..Take a break from social media,if you need to.. Dont give up..
Re: Afe Babalola: 'Nigerian Graduates Are More Dangerous Than Illiterates' by ElProfessor(f): 5:43pm On Dec 23, 2020
Oh please! So because someone is not grounded in English structure or geography makes him dangerous to the society? Abi wetin e de talk?
Re: Afe Babalola: 'Nigerian Graduates Are More Dangerous Than Illiterates' by egbali: 6:06pm On Dec 23, 2020
Well I graduated from a Nigerian university, came to the USA and obtained my masters and now earned a high six figure salary. So I am wondering what he is taking about? Most of the things he mentioned I don’t know so I am dumb?
Re: Afe Babalola: 'Nigerian Graduates Are More Dangerous Than Illiterates' by Saig: 6:27pm On Dec 23, 2020
1Sharon:

Actually, it kind of is.
k. you can go bargain with the Chinese and the Indians
Re: Afe Babalola: 'Nigerian Graduates Are More Dangerous Than Illiterates' by EjaikreTheViper(f): 7:10pm On Dec 23, 2020
Bornu1stSon:
Very true. Our illiterate daddy Buhari has successfully transformed nigeria into the world best economy. Even our Security in the north are the best. What Educated Parosidents couldn't do .

This guy you too funny
Re: Afe Babalola: 'Nigerian Graduates Are More Dangerous Than Illiterates' by vioment: 8:29pm On Dec 23, 2020
He is speaking facts.

I don't think that he meant English alone.

When I stayed in America for two years, I noticed that even the less educated were on point with pronunciations and had confidence when they spoke.

As for education in Nigeria, it has gone so low that before covid, employers were complaining about unemployable graduates.

The 1970 Nigerian leaders began that rot, and the late 80s to now, have perfected it.

Secondary schools are now 80% failed, universities are 97% tampered results and produce very watered down graduates. When you compare the environment for most educational institutions sef, even my dogs will not want to so anything in there, after one minute.

Even elementary schools are becoming undependable.

Enough blame to go around, beginning with all the failed leaders since 1965; then the sorting or bullying parents; then the teachers/lecturers payment ( every month story of how them go owe them); then the people that make the school function like maintenance, boarding house cooks, security, and cleaners; etc

Nigerians have shot themselves in the foot, knees, and hands; and have done so multiple times; that it is now crippled in that sector.

We elected, aided and abetted saboteurs; that only know how to take national money for account padding to the detriment of the nation.
Make I stop here, e dey pepper me for body.

1 Like

Re: Afe Babalola: 'Nigerian Graduates Are More Dangerous Than Illiterates' by awoluyi(m): 9:20pm On Dec 23, 2020
Chief Afe Babalola meant the educated Almajiris!
Abi?
Re: Afe Babalola: 'Nigerian Graduates Are More Dangerous Than Illiterates' by IAMPEDRO: 9:41pm On Dec 23, 2020
EBMedia:

https://igberetvnews.com/1376346/nigeria-graduates-dangerous-illiterates-afe-babalola/
Are you not ashamed of yourself?
Allowing nongraduate to rule you is a slap on your face. How can you qualify a lawyer that allows a politician with a forged documents all because of the money bag.

What is education?
Re: Afe Babalola: 'Nigerian Graduates Are More Dangerous Than Illiterates' by Nobody: 12:21am On Dec 24, 2020
HigherEd:

Lol what is this undecided

English proficiency isn't education. It is just one out of many very useful languages.
If you aren't a journalist, editor or an english academic, it is perfectly understandable that your knowledge of the language is common and not exceptionally professional. Just be able to write and communicate effectively without gaffing.

If I am not wrong, folks studying language still study adjectives, adverbs into their postgraduate levels.

As for geography. Perhaps I was taught about tropics of cancer, capricorn in secondary school, and my brain has simply relegated that information or it wasn't relatable enough to remember. But I find it funny the suggestion that inability to remember some topic in geography makes my entire education 'dangerous'.

If I rolled out an on the spot test in SSCE Biology, many of today's lecturers (including the OP) who aren't within the sciences would fail it woefully. And accessors would still agree I never crossed into higher education biology with the test.

E je ki awa guided o.

If I get hold of that man, I will just ask him what is the difference between SSD and HDD
Re: Afe Babalola: 'Nigerian Graduates Are More Dangerous Than Illiterates' by Nobody: 1:30am On Dec 24, 2020
Karleb:

One thing about this kind of question is that we don't ever get to hear the candidates side of the story.

Did you know that in your organization, if we were to set a cheap IQ test for all the staff, a lot of you would fail.

Do you remember when Nigerian legislators couldn't recite the national anthem.

Or is Buhari who claimed Nigerian youths are lazy that couldn't pronounce COVID-19.

LOL. I have done selections for literally hundreds of 'Graduates', so unless you have had similar exposure, maybe you should miss me with what you are brewing. I never claimed that our politicians are an elevated breed - I spoke specifically to my own extensive experience in dealing with Nigerian graduates.

My expressed views were also not about the IQ of people I worked with, but rather the very poor quality of supposed university-educated candidates that quite frankly should not have been allowed to even graduate from secondary schools.

P.S: For some weird reason, I have interviewed several Guys from Yabatech that far outclassed 'university graduates' - especially those from state universities up-country (not mentioning any oo, in case you attended one). Thought to drop that for those in the Uni vs. Poly arguments.
Re: Afe Babalola: 'Nigerian Graduates Are More Dangerous Than Illiterates' by calcal: 1:48am On Dec 24, 2020
illicit:
Inasmuch as I respect you sir and that you are my country man, you lack sympathy and common sense sir....

Your lots benefited from British curriculum education which was mostly government sponsored or on common scholarships....

What do you expect?

Your lots destroyed the scheme, as you weren't a politician, you aided and abetted them.

You were a lawyer to Obasonjo who was another recipient of Nigerians benevolence and gullibility....

You guys ruined everything so don't compare

So much agree with you. The man is a bad graduate himself. This man cannot understand the difference between language and education.
Again, this is proof that our education in Nigeria is just able to speak in English.

1 Like

Re: Afe Babalola: 'Nigerian Graduates Are More Dangerous Than Illiterates' by charlesucheh(m): 2:00am On Dec 24, 2020
Blame it on our greedy self centred politicians, who would rather ensure the structures of our educational sectors stay dilapidated than appropriate funds to solve that menace.

Baba, Blame it on you people the lecturers in these schools who would Rather choose the extrinsic over the intrinsic mode of operation.

Baba, Blame it on our yearly budget appropriations that allocates crumbs to the educational sector at the fulfillment of frivolities like wardrobe allowances for our foolish NA members.

Baba, blame it on the cankerworm called corruption, Nepotism, tribalism, despotism, favoritism on the part of both the politicians, lecturers, educational administrators and stake holders. we see these things everyday!

And with the aforementioned, you still want a level headed graduates? you cannot plant corn and harvest rice! you must reap what you sow!

your clarifications above Baba AFe BABAlOLA!!!!
Re: Afe Babalola: 'Nigerian Graduates Are More Dangerous Than Illiterates' by kayusely70(m): 4:14am On Dec 24, 2020
We Need To Review The Curriculum Of Our Educational System. They Are Archaic And Need To Be Reviewed.
Re: Afe Babalola: 'Nigerian Graduates Are More Dangerous Than Illiterates' by clintondagogo(m): 4:27am On Dec 24, 2020
ok
Re: Afe Babalola: 'Nigerian Graduates Are More Dangerous Than Illiterates' by Prolific007(m): 5:53am On Dec 24, 2020
Fluency in English language cannot be translated into being brilliant or an intelligentual but rather a means of communicating even better so as to avoid misunderstandin'.

Nigeria as a country was never supposed to adopt English or make french language it's number one and two language since it is alien to the people of the region because it was brought to us by the Westerners.
All we were to do is borrow some words from the English language the white man gave to us; usin' it as a foundation or a precursor so as to enable the buildin' of structures in pigin language.

Just imagine how amazin' it could have been if chemistry, physics, biology, computer sciences, mathematics and English language were all taught in pigin language.

The Time To Go Back To The Drawin' Board Is Now... Wake up young folks for these insults won't stop if we do not enforce a change.
Re: Afe Babalola: 'Nigerian Graduates Are More Dangerous Than Illiterates' by Prolific007(m): 6:18am On Dec 24, 2020
1Sharon:

English is the 1st language and lingua franca of Nigerians, not the same for a knowledge in biology.

Close your mouth and stop renderin' bacteria homeless if understandin' is too great for you to conceive. But why on earth would a country with almost 300 tribes decide to adopt a white man's language as it's number one then french as it's number two language without considerin' the peculiarities of it's people.

Pigin language would forever remain our language even if we keep denyin' and faking it
Re: Afe Babalola: 'Nigerian Graduates Are More Dangerous Than Illiterates' by Prolific007(m): 6:23am On Dec 24, 2020
1Sharon:

Is English their lingua franca like Nigeria?

Just stop misbehavin' on here with questions like this.
So is English and French language among the 300 tribes we have here?
Re: Afe Babalola: 'Nigerian Graduates Are More Dangerous Than Illiterates' by hotplate: 6:58am On Dec 24, 2020
Karleb:
If I can't differentiate between transitive and intransitive verb, can you differentiate between Purine and Pyrimidine?

Bullshit!

my fellow metabolite.
Re: Afe Babalola: 'Nigerian Graduates Are More Dangerous Than Illiterates' by 1Sharon(f): 9:37am On Dec 24, 2020
Prolific007:

Close your mouth and stop renderin' bacteria homeless if understandin' is too great for you to conceive. But why on earth would a country with almost 300 tribes decide to adopt a white man's language as it's number one then french as it's number two language without considerin' the peculiarities of it's people.

Pigin language would forever remain our language even if we keep denyin' and faking it

And what language is pidgin english based on? Yeye.
Re: Afe Babalola: 'Nigerian Graduates Are More Dangerous Than Illiterates' by Prolific007(m): 2:37pm On Dec 24, 2020
vioment:
He is speaking facts.

I don't think that he meant English alone.

When I stayed in America for two years, I noticed that even the less educated were on point with pronunciations and had confidence when they spoke.

As for education in Nigeria, it has gone so low that before covid, employers were complaining about unemployable graduates.

The 1970 Nigerian leaders began that rot, and the late 80s to now, have perfected it.

Secondary schools are now 80% failed, universities are 97% tampered results and produce very watered down graduates. When you compare the environment for most educational institutions sef, even my dogs will not want to so anything in there, after one minute.

Even elementary schools are becoming undependable.

Enough blame to go around, beginning with all the failed leaders since 1965; then the sorting or bullying parents; then the teachers/lecturers payment ( every month story of how them go owe them); then the people that make the school function like maintenance, boarding house cooks, security, and cleaners; etc

Nigerians have shot themselves in the foot, knees, and hands; and have done so multiple times; that it is now crippled in that sector.

We elected, aided and abetted saboteurs; that only know how to take national money for account padding to the detriment of the nation.
Make I stop here, e dey pepper me for body.

I feel your pain man

1 Like

Re: Afe Babalola: 'Nigerian Graduates Are More Dangerous Than Illiterates' by HitlerGaddafi: 7:09pm On Dec 24, 2020
byrron:

With all due respect sir, the extracted Bull-Shits above from you is one of the reasons why Nigeria is still putting on pampers after 60 year's because you and your kinds have misplaced and misguided views on what being educated is all about.

How does knowing the distance between the earth and where the rain starts to fall improve the impoverished lives of millions of Nigerians which you and your high profile oligarchy client's imposed on them?

How does knowing inconsequential and irrelevant things that are of zero values to the Nigerian society fix the insecurity problems in Nigeria and how does knowing the tropics of cancer and tropics of capricorn stops the likes of Afe Babalola and his political cronies from further looting of the national treasury?

I completely agree with him that some so called educated fellas like Afe Babalola are even more dangerous than the uneducated one's and Afe Babalolas antecedents has proven to be more dangerous because of the criminal and ignominious roles he played when OBJ was president of Nigeria and how he also acquired his license and funds to build his own private university which was the trend then and why they don't give a fck about public tertiary institutions because educated criminals like Afe Babalola that know's the difference between adverbs and adjectives decided to participate in raping of the national treasury instead of sticking to adverbs and adjectives and his tropics of cancer and capricorn BS.

Instead of advocating for completely overhauling of the outdated, primitive and useless Nigerian academic curriculum that has turned graduates into job seekers instead of job creator's and problem solvers, this well established crook is busy yapping crap about knowing Magellan line, that is, the line that divides the earth into two as if that is what will take Nigeria out of it's current 3rd world status.

Lol alot of thrash in what that man said. If he's bitter about a graduate not knowing what's tropic of cancer and Capricorn or where rain dey start and where e dey end, let him tackle the geography graduates and not graduates in general. Moreover of what benefit is it or how does that improve the life of the average Nigerian graduate?

So he expects a graduate of English language or marketing to know what tropic of cancer and Capricorn is? Or a graduate of accounting to know what Magellan line is? Old age is seriously catching up with him.
Re: Afe Babalola: 'Nigerian Graduates Are More Dangerous Than Illiterates' by patwilly(m): 12:42am On Dec 25, 2020
byrron:

With all due respect sir, the extracted Bull-Shits above from you is one of the reasons why Nigeria is still putting on pampers after 60 year's because you and your kinds have misplaced and misguided views on what being educated is all about.

How does knowing the distance between the earth and where the rain starts to fall improve the impoverished lives of millions of Nigerians which you and your high profile oligarchy client's imposed on them?

How does knowing inconsequential and irrelevant things that are of zero values to the Nigerian society fix the insecurity problems in Nigeria and how does knowing the tropics of cancer and tropics of capricorn stops the likes of Afe Babalola and his political cronies from further looting of the national treasury?

I completely agree with him that some so called educated fellas like Afe Babalola are even more dangerous than the uneducated one's and Afe Babalolas antecedents has proven to be more dangerous because of the criminal and ignominious roles he played when OBJ was president of Nigeria and how he also acquired his license and funds to build his own private university which was the trend then and why they don't give a fck about public tertiary institutions because educated criminals like Afe Babalola that know's the difference between adverbs and adjectives decided to participate in raping of the national treasury instead of sticking to adverbs and adjectives and his tropics of cancer and capricorn BS.

Instead of advocating for completely overhauling of the outdated, primitive and useless Nigerian academic curriculum that has turned graduates into job seekers instead of job creator's and problem solvers, this well established crook is busy yapping crap about knowing Magellan line, that is, the line that divides the earth into two as if that is what will take Nigeria out of it's current 3rd world status.

I liked your post. You should open a thread let's discuss this further. Mention me when you do.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

How To Know If You Are Among Candidates Scheduled To Re-sit Jamb 2016 / ASUU-UNILAG Sanctions 240 Lectures For Enrolling On IPPIS (Full List) / I Lost My Jamb Registration Slip

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.