Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,350 members, 7,950,722 topics. Date: Monday, 16 September 2024 at 08:25 PM

Some Names That Have Always Confused Me About Their Origin - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Some Names That Have Always Confused Me About Their Origin (4536 Views)

See All Photos And Some Names That Attended Gov. Udom Father's Burial In Akwa Ib / Degi-Eremienyo: The Conflicting Names That Disqualified APC Deputy Governor / Gov. Ortoms U-turn On Nltp, Evident His Administration Is Always Confused. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Some Names That Have Always Confused Me About Their Origin by Depressed101: 8:34am On Dec 28, 2020
1.Essien: why do ghanaians bear this name and also people from Akwa Ibom state of Nigeria also bear it? Do they any cultural relation? Or is it an English name.?

2.Rotimi: Americans bear this name, also yorubas too, but mostly Rivers people. I read somewhere that it is of yoruba origin meaning "be with me". Does it have a different meaning in rivers state. If not why do they adopt that name so much?

3.Ortega: remember that urhobo song? Ortega, oghene Ortega...... Yeah that song.. Americans also bear this name, Ortega amancio the billionaire comes to mind.. From what I can find on the internet this name is of Spanish origin, I can't fathom what it means in urhobo (my urhobo is very limited) or why urhobo people like bearing this name..
There are alot of other names like this, can't remember all

3 Likes

Re: Some Names That Have Always Confused Me About Their Origin by Nackzy: 8:38am On Dec 28, 2020
Nice Perspective, please bring it To FP

2 Likes

Re: Some Names That Have Always Confused Me About Their Origin by johnhood(m): 8:42am On Dec 28, 2020
Re: Some Names That Have Always Confused Me About Their Origin by Diamondniyi(m): 8:43am On Dec 28, 2020
grin
Re: Some Names That Have Always Confused Me About Their Origin by ahnie: 8:45am On Dec 28, 2020
POC....the urhobos doesn't bear Ortega...it's tega short form of oghenetega...not oghene Ortega.

As for Rotimi it's of yoruba origin and it's a name bore only by the yoruba peeps.i wonder what you meant by Americans bearing same name...or perhaps those Americans bearing the names has roots from yoruba by births from either dia mum or dad.

22 Likes

Re: Some Names That Have Always Confused Me About Their Origin by IamWonderful: 8:50am On Dec 28, 2020
Ok
Re: Some Names That Have Always Confused Me About Their Origin by lkillbrokehoes: 8:52am On Dec 28, 2020
ahnie:
POC....the urhobos doesn't bear Ortega...it's tega short form of oghenetega...not oghene Ortega.

As for Rotimi it's of yoruba origin and it's a name bore only by the yoruba peeps.i wonder what you meant by Americans bearing same name...or perhaps those Americans bearing the names has roots from yoruba by births from either dia mum or dad.
Spot on

1 Like

Re: Some Names That Have Always Confused Me About Their Origin by Depressed101: 8:54am On Dec 28, 2020
ahnie:

what do you say about Rivers bearing Rotimi
Re: Some Names That Have Always Confused Me About Their Origin by tobechi74: 9:00am On Dec 28, 2020
Is JIDE YORUBA
Re: Some Names That Have Always Confused Me About Their Origin by ahnie: 9:07am On Dec 28, 2020
Depressed101:
my perimeters no reach that side

1 Like

Re: Some Names That Have Always Confused Me About Their Origin by ahnie: 9:08am On Dec 28, 2020
tobechi74:
Is JIDE YORUBA
absolutely....BABAJIDE.

2 Likes

Re: Some Names That Have Always Confused Me About Their Origin by ahnie: 9:08am On Dec 28, 2020
tobechi74:
Is JIDE YORUBA
absolutely....BABAJIDE.
Re: Some Names That Have Always Confused Me About Their Origin by Olatomiwami(m): 9:12am On Dec 28, 2020
Depressed101:

Only Amaechi I heard of, and he explained he was named after the legal luminary ROTIMI WILLIAMS of blessed memories,Amaechi's father was a fan of the legal giant .

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Some Names That Have Always Confused Me About Their Origin by donbachi(m): 9:13am On Dec 28, 2020
Rivers people does not bear the name rotimi..amaechi's father was a big fan of rotimi william.so,he gave birth to amaechi,he named him rotimi.

6 Likes

Re: Some Names That Have Always Confused Me About Their Origin by Depressed101: 9:14am On Dec 28, 2020
Olatomiwami:

Only Amaechi I heard of, and he explained he was named after the legal luminary ROTIMI WILLIAMS of blessed memories,Amaechi's father was a fan of the legal giant .
i have more than 5 acquaintance from rivers who bear the name Rotimi, so nothing you can tell me on this one
Re: Some Names That Have Always Confused Me About Their Origin by tobechi74: 9:14am On Dec 28, 2020
ahnie:

absolutely....BABAJIDE.

I hear Igbo bear jlde
Re: Some Names That Have Always Confused Me About Their Origin by rtdCivilservant: 9:15am On Dec 28, 2020
ahnie:

absolutely....BABAJIDE.
What about JIDE OFOR? This na igbo
Re: Some Names That Have Always Confused Me About Their Origin by Depressed101: 9:17am On Dec 28, 2020
ahnie:
absolutely....BABAJIDE.
but it is also Igbo Jidenna

2 Likes

Re: Some Names That Have Always Confused Me About Their Origin by Rossonero: 9:24am On Dec 28, 2020
Interesting...
Re: Some Names That Have Always Confused Me About Their Origin by ahnie: 9:36am On Dec 28, 2020
rtdCivilservant:
What about JIDE OFOR? This na igbo
sure
Re: Some Names That Have Always Confused Me About Their Origin by Olatomiwami(m): 9:39am On Dec 28, 2020
Depressed101:
i have more than 5 acquaintance from rivers who bear the name Rotimi, so nothing you can tell me on this one

Rotimi is a Yoruba name, pure and simple, not SS name.

1 Like

Re: Some Names That Have Always Confused Me About Their Origin by SaintBishop: 10:05am On Dec 28, 2020
Depressed101:
1.Essien: why do ghanaians bear this name and also people from Akwa Ibom state of Nigeria also bear it? Do they any cultural relation? Or is it an English name.?

2.Rotimi: Americans bear this name, also yorubas too, but mostly Rivers people. I read somewhere that it is of yoruba origin meaning "be with me". Does it have a different meaning in rivers state. If not why do they adopt that name so much?

3.Ortega: remember that urhobo song? Ortega, oghene Ortega...... Yeah that song.. Americans also bear this name, Ortega amancio the billionaire comes to mind.. From what I can find on the internet this name is of Spanish origin, I can't fathom what it means in urhobo (my urhobo is very limited) or why urhobo people like bearing this name..
Apart from Amaechi wey bear Rotimi how many Rivers people you know way they answer Rotimi lol.

3 Likes

Re: Some Names That Have Always Confused Me About Their Origin by Nobody: 10:08am On Dec 28, 2020
Depressed101:

Rivers do not bear Rotimi

Rotimi Amaechi was named for Rotimi Williams, a Yoruba man

4 Likes

Re: Some Names That Have Always Confused Me About Their Origin by lexuswagon: 10:13am On Dec 28, 2020
I've met a few ss guys that bear rotimi
Re: Some Names That Have Always Confused Me About Their Origin by Obakashdee(m): 10:14am On Dec 28, 2020
tobechi74:
Is JIDE YORUBA

Jide is yoruba and igbo
Jide means hold on in igbo
Jide in Yoruba means to wake up or something

Just like olaniyi have different meaning for igbo and Yoruba

9 Likes

Re: Some Names That Have Always Confused Me About Their Origin by kabillionaire(m): 10:15am On Dec 28, 2020
what of MIMI?
Re: Some Names That Have Always Confused Me About Their Origin by oyatz(m): 10:17am On Dec 28, 2020
Depressed101:
The were named after someone, most likely the late Legal Luminary, Rotimi Williams, the foremost lawyer in Nigeria during his life time.

It's interesting to know that several land tussles and communal boundaries clashes were common in the 1960s especially in the Niger-Delta, Ife Vs Modakeke,Offa Vs Erin-Ile etc , many of which led to Legal battles.

Those who had the money and wanted their lands secured hired Rotimi Williams and he delivered, earning the admirations of the Community members, many of whom said their own sons will also become a lawyer like Rotimi Williams.

Naming son's after influencial strong men is very common in the North but most of the influencial role models are religious figures or Emirs.

Usman Sheu Shagari was named after Usman Dan Fodio.

Mohammadu Buhari was named after Mohammed Al-Bukhari

Atiku Abubakar was named after Sultan Atiku Abubakar, who himself was named after Caliph Abubakar, Artekullah

3 Likes

Re: Some Names That Have Always Confused Me About Their Origin by RHIDOH91: 11:48am On Dec 28, 2020
ahnie:

my perimeters no reach that side
Minister of Transportation Amaechi confirmed that is father named him after the late legal luminary Francis Rotimi Williams because he wants him to be a lawyer when he grow up. Unfortunately he later studied English and not law. I hope this answers your question.

1 Like

Re: Some Names That Have Always Confused Me About Their Origin by Nobody: 12:32pm On Dec 28, 2020
You forgot the name "Dada".
Re: Some Names That Have Always Confused Me About Their Origin by emmy512: 12:41pm On Dec 28, 2020
Depressed101:

Ortega is Mexican/Colombia so immigrants or people with mixed race use it often mostly Texans, Florida,

Rotimi is certainly a Nigerian name, whoever uses that name anywhere is of Nigeria origin.

Essien too is Calabar/ akwa Ibom anywhere in West Africa the person has origin in Nigeria.
Growing up we used to here Micheal Essien was a Calabar south boy. Don't know how true it is
Re: Some Names That Have Always Confused Me About Their Origin by Kinematics: 1:20pm On Dec 28, 2020
Depressed101:

How many Rivers person have you seen bearing Rotimi besides Amaechi?
Re: Some Names That Have Always Confused Me About Their Origin by Kinematics: 1:23pm On Dec 28, 2020
Depressed101:

Those must be mixed. They certainly have yoruba in their gene.

(1) (2) (Reply)

It Pains Me That This Presidential Candidate Is Going To Win The 2023 Elections / Court Fixes May 12 To Rule On Application Filed By Abure, Others To Vacate Order / My N2.8 Million Banking Stocks Now Worth Less Than Toilet Roll

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.