Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,185,215 members, 7,925,760 topics. Date: Monday, 19 August 2024 at 10:23 PM

Security Analyst Lauds Improve Security In Nigeria - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Security Analyst Lauds Improve Security In Nigeria (160 Views)

Edo Revs Up Effort To Improve Security On Highway / Kidnapping Upsurge In Kogi: ODA Calls For Improve Security. Continue Reading At / Frank Seide: Gunmen Kill Chairman Of Waterways Security In Bayelsa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Security Analyst Lauds Improve Security In Nigeria by IDanfulani(m): 8:54pm On Jan 02, 2021
Comrade Oladimeji Odeyemi, a security analyst and a counter-terrorism expert is the Convener of the Coalition of Civil Society Groups Against Terrorism in Nigeria. In this interview with OLADIPUPO AWOJOBI, he speaks on the recent editorial of UK-based Financial Times on Nigeria, the efforts of the Nigerian Army in the north to curtail insurgency, banditry, among others. Excerpts…

Question:: Financial Times of London in a recent editorial described Nigeria as a country plagued by terrorism, banditry, and kidnapping and risks becoming a failed state. The UK-based newspaper also said contrary to the government’s claim, Boko Haram remained an everpresent threat. Did you see the report and what is your reaction?

Odeyemi : First, I saw and read the editorial from Financial Times on what they referred to be  state of Nigeria, and they touched on almost every sector but I will talk about the security aspect. With all due respect, I think there is a script being acted and some international media agencies have already been conscripted to play it out, amazingly, they push out the scripts without any recourse to rules of engagement in the media which includes verification of all indices to be addressed to ensure credence of the report.

Odeyemi: From my little knowledge, I am aware that the editorial of any news medium is the heart of that media organisation because that is the position of that newspaper on the topic of consideration.

Odeyemi: if FT could churn out such editorial as their position on this same Nigeria that we are currently living in, then there is much to be desired. Beyond that, I think the editorial veered off some of the key happenings in Nigeria and that has been the bane of many foreign media reports on the country, lately. The truth is that you cant rely on resources from the internet to form either a news or editorial reportage.

Odeyemi : we still have pockets of security challenges, but the reality on ground is that the level of security in Nigeria has over time improved, especially in the north east and this is due to the pragmatic approach of President Muhammadu Buhari and his service chiefs.

Odeyemi: Except we want to lie and deceive ourselves, is the north not better, especially north east than it was before 2015 when Boko Haram had over 14 local governments in its custody? I think Nigerians should ignore the poorly thought-out editorial as well as the groups who are gleefully hailing it. It was a wasted effort.

Question :The successful rescue of the abducted Kankara school boys generated drama as different security agencies, sociocultural organization and even state governments lay claim to the rescue. Does this suggest that the Nigerian Army played little or no roles in the rescue effort?

Odeyemi: I think we must first of all thank God and commend President Buhari for providing the leadership that led to the rescue of the boys. However, I want to applaud the Nigerian army over the release of the abducted students. The saying that success has many relatives is trite here but we must give honour to whom it is due. The army showcased a high level of human rights compliance, professionalism and proactiveness in carrying out its responsibility of securing the lives of the abducted schoolboys.

I really don’t want to get into the politics of the issue but the Nigerian Army was responsible for the release of the boys. The Nigerian Army was able to track the abductors with the boys, they were pinned down and surrounded
Re: Security Analyst Lauds Improve Security In Nigeria by longetivity(m): 10:43pm On Jan 02, 2021
Abi ogun want to kill the analyst nii, which Nigeria the improved security dey
Re: Security Analyst Lauds Improve Security In Nigeria by Nbotee(m): 11:24pm On Jan 02, 2021
Dis one na classic APC/govt scripted propaganda interview
Re: Security Analyst Lauds Improve Security In Nigeria by princemillla(m): 7:58am On Jan 03, 2021
Clarification to why these guys are not representing us in anyway but for their selfish gain

(1) (Reply)

Fulani Herdsmen In Ogun Attack A Woman, Remove Her Finger, Shatter Her Jaw / Suspected Assassins Kills 3 People In Anambra / Gov Makinde Allegedly Accused Of Abuse Of Office As Oyo State Risk Losing $200M

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.