Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,185,240 members, 7,925,849 topics. Date: Tuesday, 20 August 2024 at 02:19 AM

Trump Pressures Georgia Secretary Of State To Recalculate The Vote In His Favor - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Trump Pressures Georgia Secretary Of State To Recalculate The Vote In His Favor (123 Views)

Trump Pressures Georgia Secretary Of State To Recalculate The Vote In His Favor / Election Betting Odds Have Flipped To Favor Trump, Expert Says / Valentine Strasser, From Ex-Head Of State To Pauper: Youngest West Africa Leader (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Trump Pressures Georgia Secretary Of State To Recalculate The Vote In His Favor by tunene66: 9:25pm On Jan 03, 2021
President Trump urged fellow Republican Brad Raffensperger, the Georgia secretary of state, to “find” enough votes to overturn his defeat in an extraordinary one-hour phone call Saturday that election experts said raised legal questions.

Support our journalism. Subscribe today.
The Washington Post obtained a recording of the conversation in which Trump alternately berated Raffensperger, tried to flatter him, begged him to act and threatened him with vague criminal consequences if the secretary of state refused to pursue his false claims, at one point warning that Raffensperger was taking “a big risk.”

Throughout the call, Raffensperger and his office’s general counsel rejected Trump’s assertions, explaining that the president is relying on debunked conspiracy theories and that President-elect Joe Biden’s 11,779-vote victory in Georgia was fair and accurate.

AD
President Trump walks to the Oval Office after returning from Florida on Thursday.President Trump walks to the Oval Office after returning from Florida on Thursday.
President Trump walks to the Oval Office after returning from Florida on Thursday. (Bill O'Leary/The Washington Post)
Trump dismissed their arguments.

“The people of Georgia are angry, the people in the country are angry,” he said. “And there’s nothing wrong with saying, you know, um, that you’ve recalculated.”

Raffensperger responded: “Well, Mr. President, the challenge that you have is, the data you have is wrong.”

Election results under attack: Here are the facts

At another point, Trump said: “So look. All I want to do is this. I just want to find 11,780 votes, which is one more than we have. Because we won the state.”

The rambling and at times incoherent conversation offered a remarkable glimpse of how consumed and desperate the president remains about his loss, unwilling or unable to let the matter go and still believing he can reverse the results in enough battleground states to remain in office.

AD
“There’s no way I lost Georgia,” Trump said, a phrase he repeated again and again on the call. “There’s no way. We won by hundreds of thousands of votes.”

Several of his allies were on the line as he spoke, including White House Chief of Staff Mark Meadows and conservative lawyer Cleta Mitchell, a prominent GOP lawyer whose involvement with Trump’s efforts had not been previously know

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/trump-raffensperger-call-georgia-vote/2021/01/03/d45acb92-4dc4-11eb-bda4-615aaefd0555_story.html
Re: Trump Pressures Georgia Secretary Of State To Recalculate The Vote In His Favor by alexsoftwork(m): 9:33pm On Jan 03, 2021
Chinedu trump okidili Donald. righteousness89 mentor, the deceiver of some mumu Nigerian Christians, u better get out of white house. Ode

I Duff my hat for goodluck Jonathan.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

‘I Just Want To Find 11,780 Votes,’ Trump Told Georgia Secy Of State / LIVE Joe Biden Becomes The 46 Th US President / If Putin Isn’t Rethinking His Legacy After Meeting With Biden

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.