Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,172,544 members, 7,885,235 topics. Date: Wednesday, 10 July 2024 at 06:22 AM

Kung Fu Anyone? - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Kung Fu Anyone? (3032 Views)

Kung Fu Centre / WHO IS YOUR FAVORITE MARTIAL ART( kung fu) film star? / Kung Fu In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Kung Fu Anyone? by Xinfu(f): 12:35am On Feb 06, 2006
I love martial arts, or kung fu... I miss my old kung fu classes and just saw that they have a website... I dunno what it is but I have a rly good feeling when I go to kung fu... its healthy,exercise with fun happy people but since I met my husband I haven't gone.... smiley
Re: Kung Fu Anyone? by Latoya(f): 2:16am On Feb 06, 2006
yea i love kung fu classes, i am not so into it anymore. The last time i went was like 6month ago. I am more into Karate and Taebo now. But yea i still miss my kung fu dayz sad. the whole body fitness and balance thing but i think wat i am doing now is better.
Re: Kung Fu Anyone? by Seun(m): 4:17am On Feb 06, 2006
I encourage the learning of kung-fu because it's a usefulness in non-lethal self defence, but I don't really see myself devoting any time to it. I'd much rather buy a pepper spray or something and become an expert in the art of bringing it out of my pocket in 0.5 seconds! cheesy

What really annoys me is the way martial arts instructors bark out orders to their young "trainees" as if they are super-important people. I used to watch Taekwondo training in the Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-ife, and I always said to myself "these student instructors think they are so special because they know how to kick". It makes me want to say, "hey man, this is the 21st century! Your physical strength is not such a big deal unless you think the job of a bodyguard is prestigious!"
Re: Kung Fu Anyone? by hotangel2(f): 9:03am On Feb 06, 2006
Asian people are good at it. Kick boxing classes are also good. Kung-fu is sorta.. ermm.. too "Konfu". wink
Re: Kung Fu Anyone? by timmy(m): 1:56pm On Feb 06, 2006
im a bit crazy on this, well i attend a local kungfu class, i have a black belt it taekwondo, i have a white belt in carpoera and i do tchundokwan... but ive never had a fight with anyone angry, cant wait to see my kicks go high on someones face
Re: Kung Fu Anyone? by Rhodalyn(f): 2:17pm On Feb 06, 2006
hiah! hiah! grin grin grin
Re: Kung Fu Anyone? by timmy(m): 2:21pm On Feb 06, 2006
waatchaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!
Re: Kung Fu Anyone? by anobscase(m): 3:02pm On Feb 06, 2006
I think Kung fu is the best sport.But people often underrate kung fu.They prefer taekwondo and karate or judo.People beleive taekwondo is more powerful than kung fu..It depends on the practitioner.I`m a red belter in kung-fu and i had a fight with a taekwondo practitioner insulting my sifu.Though he had a higher belt rank than me,but i gave him a suprised take-down kick that landed him on the ground.People were suprised cos he had a height and weight advantage over me...Anyway that doesnt mean i fight alot..We have to sometimes test what we have learnt on someone grin grin
Re: Kung Fu Anyone? by timmy(m): 5:46pm On Feb 06, 2006
im sure he underestimated you, well i started out with taekwondo and that really help me out in other arts, my kicks were very effective and i go along without hasels, even my kungfu sensei really apreciates me over his old time students, and because i have a blend of four diffrent arts, i alwys win during sparings.... but im really yet to fight

i almost did somtimes ago, but the guy was my friend we only pushed, i alomst gave high

Re: Kung Fu Anyone? by segedoo(m): 6:18pm On Feb 06, 2006
hi fellas, i'm kinda new around here but i feel yáll especially dejiolowe wink.There's a feeling you can never experience if u're not a martial artist!! grin. i have a black belt in itf (traditional) taekwondo, a green belt in kungfu and a yellow belt in judo. i also learn boxing and have 2 books on taichi but i haven't read those yet.believe me if you don't know some judo with ur kngfu, tkd of boxing, u're so incomplete.
i haven't gotten into a fight as such myself but then a tenet of all martial arts is self-control. The closest to a fight for me were those full contact kumite with other practitioners that sometimes resulted in bloodshed. it's just an awesome privilege to learn any martial art. cool
Re: Kung Fu Anyone? by funloving(m): 6:39pm On Feb 06, 2006
I have a Purple belt in Shotakan Karate and last december got a Yellow belt in Jujitsu.
Although I have been practising martial arts on and off since 1996 i have never gotten into a fight and that's because i detest fighting.Sparring is okay but not fighting unless in self defense but the first rule of self defense is:Escape.
I have never practised kung fu but hope to practise a bit of it soon.
Right now I am focusing on my Jujitsu.It is a great art and very practical for self defense.This is one art that from day one of training you are taught to incapacitate.I only started October last year but you will be suprised at how much i can take a fellow down with little effort.
There is this feeling of fitness and confidence that comes with practising the oriental martial arts.It is a feeling that can't be explained.It has to be experienced.

If you want to be a real martial artiste learn the kick-punching arts(karate,kung-fu,taekwondo),the throws-locks-holds arts(judo,jujitsu,aikido) blend it with some weapon arts(Jujitsu,kendo,kung-fu) and then avoid all fighting situations. In this way,the day you are pushed to the wall you will neutralise your opponent with very little effort and people will be like:wow,this guy is good and yet he doesn't fight.Maximum repsect !!
Re: Kung Fu Anyone? by segedoo(m): 8:04pm On Feb 06, 2006
u're right about the various combo and i like ur philosophy. the best form of defense is to scram.!! wink
Re: Kung Fu Anyone? by teckman: 9:39pm On Feb 06, 2006
Kung fu is the ish,karate was forged out from it for those dat dont know,yes the japanese had their traditional hand to hand techniques but the basics were derived from kung fu..if u want d history of kung fu i cud do that too but lets leave that...yeah jeet kune do is now like a cross breed of all fighting styles you know..boxing,wrestling,judo,karate,teakwondo and wing chung kung fu
Re: Kung Fu Anyone? by c0dec(m): 10:30pm On Feb 06, 2006
K1 is tha real ish! ---> http://www.so-net.ne.jp/feg/k-1gp/
Re: Kung Fu Anyone? by virozuru(f): 10:45pm On Feb 06, 2006
Re: Kung Fu Anyone? by c0dec(m): 11:08pm On Feb 06, 2006
@virozuru

hot babe like you kicks ass? whoa! i thought only lara croft did. wink
Re: Kung Fu Anyone? by segedoo(m): 11:08pm On Feb 06, 2006
good to see a nigerian fighter in the k-1 fighter profile!! there's no room for the grappling-throwing arts tho. i like the fact that it's full contact too.
Re: Kung Fu Anyone? by funloving(m): 11:19pm On Feb 06, 2006
Thanks for Virozuru
But what is Indonesian Kung-fu
In what way is it different from the traditional chinese kung-fu
I know Indonesia has a system of martial arts called Silat.
Re: Kung Fu Anyone? by c0dec(m): 11:33pm On Feb 06, 2006
segedoo:

good to see a nigerian fighter in the k-1 fighter profile!! there's no room for the grappling-throwing arts tho. i like the fact that it's full contact too.

yep ... real hard career-ending contact. see Does Anybody Here Follow K-1? for sample videos.
Re: Kung Fu Anyone? by Xinfu(f): 1:04am On Feb 07, 2006
Wow.... I'm so happy many people replied to this.... abonbase.... my god protecting your sifu must have had a busrt of energy ohhh wow I can imagine you fighting for the respect of your sifu cheesy and Fun loving wow you sound like a real good expert cheesy and love the picture... hehe .... so I've been searching google all day for some branches in london I can go to.... But unfortunetly they are either on the wrong days or to much money... I don't wanna learn a different kung fu to the ones I have done before just because it's all I can get sad I trained in dragon and wing chun.... but not for to long before they move or I do sad
Re: Kung Fu Anyone? by Xinfu(f): 10:22pm On Feb 07, 2006
Well, I'm still looking for a kung fu school, sadly they are not the right days... since I work sad.......Well I just want to get fit... and then I will be happier hehe
Re: Kung Fu Anyone? by luridguy(m): 11:04pm On Feb 07, 2006
is it true if u are a kung fu student or sport man you are not to fight in public i mean use it to defend your self or something like that
Re: Kung Fu Anyone? by Xinfu(f): 12:28am On Feb 09, 2006
[color=#000099][/color]Yes unfortunetly for some.... Kung fu is clever tho ... you can only use the moves to defend yourself... But no one shud mess with the person who learns kung fu... me myself I would walk away and if they tried anything then it wasn't me who started it just to protect myself.... because we have the advantage of kung fu we are not supposed to use it untill we need to... which makes sense to me smiley I wish I knew kung fu when i was at skool there were lots of bully's sad
Re: Kung Fu Anyone? by anobscase(m): 12:21pm On Feb 09, 2006
smileyKung fu is a great art i must tell u.Its very complete and the best among all martial arts.taekwondo is good,karate is good,even jujitsu.Some martial art practitioners that have high ranks like black belt cant defend themselves in a street fight and that is very bad.Many DOJO`S Teach sparring alone and not self-defence.All they think is about winning medals and things like that.Havent u heard about a black belter being beaten up by some holigans...its sucks.it make people laugh at me ...they say{if a black belter cant defend himself,what of u a red belter..u`ll be crushed into ashes}..I beleive rank doesnt matter in any art ur into.What matters is how good u are.I`ve seen a yellow belter beating a brown belter..Should our Dojo`s emphasize on sparring or self defence?
Re: Kung Fu Anyone? by virozuru(f): 4:49pm On Feb 09, 2006
Re: Kung Fu Anyone? by Xinfu(f): 1:43am On Feb 13, 2006
Good luck!! grin, and doesn't matter about your belts, I said in dissapointment where is teh belts for kung fu and my teacher said the only thing belts are good enough for is holding up your trousers! haha so funni, Please please tell me how your kung fu class went smiley cheesy
Re: Kung Fu Anyone? by ololo12: 1:17am On Feb 05, 2007
Hello good people, im sammy 18 and im very much interested in learning kung fu, someone help out with it. Does anyone know of any kung fu around, i would really wanna join kung fu classess. im waiting ya advice
Re: Kung Fu Anyone? by ololo12: 1:25am On Feb 05, 2007
i really need a kung fu school around in lagos
Re: Kung Fu Anyone? by wormedup(m): 11:49am On Feb 06, 2007
@ Ololo 12,

go to the national stadium hook up with anyone of ur choice - there are lots of them smiley

i did shotokan, it's the bomb !

what i need now is Tai Chi cool
Re: Kung Fu Anyone? by Razorr(f): 3:46pm On Feb 07, 2007
Love Y'all
Re: Kung Fu Anyone? by tunscolo(m): 1:41pm On Jul 24, 2010
Where can someone learn Kang-Fu? Very simple question and you guys are sayin u are black belters or belt manufacturers. Who asked you? Me self get black belt wey I dey use for my jeans and one D & G that is brown that I wear to work and my native get rope belt. tsshhuuu.

1 Like

Re: Kung Fu Anyone? by ShifuWhite(m): 11:30am On Jul 07, 2014
This thread is old.... Who created e this thread?

(1) (2) (Reply)

This Chelsea Star Player Has Ignored England To Play For Our Super Eagles / Funny Missing Post About Frank Lampard / Enyeama Set For Centenary Against Uganda

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.