Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,190,708 members, 7,941,700 topics. Date: Friday, 06 September 2024 at 11:43 AM

Should Men Be Given Some Priority When Seeking Jobs? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Should Men Be Given Some Priority When Seeking Jobs? (694 Views)

Father Of A New Baby Should Be Given Monetary Gift, Not The Mother- Nigerian Man / Should Working Class Wives Be Given 'Upkeep'? / Vibrator Given To A Housewife As Wedding Souvenir In Lagos (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should Men Be Given Some Priority When Seeking Jobs? by Smile4mee01: 2:44pm On Jan 09, 2021
As many of us know.
Life is getting hard for many Men economically, while relationships are getting tougher on many women.

There is an unwritten code in the society where the Man is expected to provide for his family. Even religion agrees to this. With this primary knowledge, is it ok to give some kind of priority to qualified Men looking for employment ?

In this world of feminism, its might ache some ears to hear that the success of any nation is often carried on the back of the Men. I sometimes admire how the middle east is run. The men, women a d govt know their place. The women dont compete with men for jobs and somehow they seem on from afar.

Also, a part of me belives women are not designed to work as hard as they do now. The stress, and health of long hours of work takes it toll on the body. Again, some women loose feminine qualities with jobs, power and money.

For the women working jobs desiring marriage but not having much options. Many of thier would be husbands are unemployed and if the job is switched with the man. The lady would marry because finaicial stability is a prerequisite to a man considering marriage.

If you are a young man. Try and pursue careers with less competition i.e stem courses, IT, Medcine and surgery, Engineering.

Please , I must acknowledge the women working hard. I am just maybe we could have more flourishing families and society if men were given priorities in getting a job.

This is not a thread to bash women. It's just a wild thought.

1 Like

Re: Should Men Be Given Some Priority When Seeking Jobs? by budaatum: 3:14pm On Jan 09, 2021
Smile4mee01:

Also, a part of me belives women are not designed to work as hard as they do now. The stress, and health of long hours of work takes it toll on the body. Again, some women loose feminine qualities with jobs, power and money.

You need to educate yourself instead of just lazily believing crap that you make up inside your head! Just look to your own mother and consider the work she did bringing you up.

4 Likes

Re: Should Men Be Given Some Priority When Seeking Jobs? by OlawaleBammie: 4:20pm On Jan 09, 2021
Smile4mee01:
As many of us know.
Life is getting hard for many Men economically, while relationships are getting tougher on many women.

There is an unwritten code in the society where the Man is expected to provide for his family. Even religion agrees to this. With this primary knowledge, is it ok to give some kind of priority to qualified Men looking for employment ?

In this world of feminism, its might ache some ears to hear that the success of any nation is often carried on the back of the Men. I sometimes admire how the middle east is run. The men, women a d govt know their place. The women dont compete with men for jobs and somehow they seem on from afar.

For the women working jobs desiring marriage but not having much options. Many of thier would be husbands are unemployed and if the job is switched with the man. The lady would marry because finaicial stability is a prerequisite to a man considering marriage.

If you are a young man. Try and pursue careers with less competition i.e stem courses, IT, Medcine and surgery, Engineering.

Please , I must acknowledge the women working hard. I am just maybe we could have more flourishing families and society if men were given priorities in getting a job.

Na now Una dey get brain abi??

No be wetin Una wish for be dat before??

Don't worry, MEN!!?? Na Una go tire last grin grin

1 Like

Re: Should Men Be Given Some Priority When Seeking Jobs? by etrouble: 4:56pm On Jan 09, 2021
Leave the men, continuing employing these empty barrel ladies just because you want ladies to sleep with or because you are a Feminist and so want to employ only ladies. With time, only ladies will be employed while the guys will be roaming the streets aimlessly. Dildos will sell more because a guy that has no job with not walk up to toast a lady. The few men who are lucky to establish small business or get a small job will have multiple side chicks and the number of baby mamas will increase astronomically.

6 Likes

Re: Should Men Be Given Some Priority When Seeking Jobs? by Hathor5(f): 5:10pm On Jan 09, 2021
Smile4mee01:
As many of us know.

Working women have more spending power, more spending power creates more employment, thus more opportunities for men and women. And no, men should not get preferential treatment because some of you decide to run your families the traditional way. If then you can't provide, it is on you, not on me taking your job. May the best qualified people get the jobs.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Should Men Be Given Some Priority When Seeking Jobs? by cococandy(f): 5:51pm On Jan 09, 2021
The most oppressive misogynistic rules were made in consideration of “family values”.

SMH

5 Likes

Re: Should Men Be Given Some Priority When Seeking Jobs? by 0neal(m): 6:34pm On Jan 09, 2021
cococandy:
The most oppressive misogynistic rules were made in consideration of “family values”.

SMH

Examples please
Re: Should Men Be Given Some Priority When Seeking Jobs? by bukatyne(f): 3:30pm On Jan 10, 2021
@Smile4mee01

1. What do you propose?

2. What seems like a 'fair' system to you?

3. How do you ensure husbands are responsible and financially committed to their families after giving them priority in the labor market?

4. How do you think about women's education? It would be a waste of resources if a woman is educated and can't work? ( I acknowledge Nigeria's abnormal situation where graduated do not practice their progession.)

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should Men Be Given Some Priority When Seeking Jobs? by angelfallz(m): 4:34pm On Jan 10, 2021
budaatum:

You need to educate yourself instead of just lazily believing crap that you make up inside your head! Just look to your own mother and consider the work she did bringing you up.

He is right, women aren't designed to work as hard as some of them do.

In fact statistics have shown that in developed countries women tend to gravitate towards degrees that are less stressful, while their counterparts in developing countries gravitate towards more stressful degrees due to the responsibility bringing their families out of poverty.

So what he said is not crap.
Re: Should Men Be Given Some Priority When Seeking Jobs? by angelfallz(m): 4:35pm On Jan 10, 2021
bukatyne:
@Smile4mee01

1. What do you propose?

2. What seems like a 'fair' system to you?

3. How do you ensure husbands are responsible and financially committed to their families after giving them priority in the labor market?

4. How do you think about women's education? It would be a waste of resources if a woman is educated and can't work? ( I acknowledge Nigeria's abnormal situation where graduated do not practice their progession.)

Your number 3 is somehow. What are you trying to say?
Re: Should Men Be Given Some Priority When Seeking Jobs? by Arsenate(m): 4:40pm On Jan 10, 2021
Hathor5:

Working women have more spending power, more spending power creates more employment, thus more opportunities for men and women. And no, men should not get preferential treatment because some of you decide to run your families the traditional way. If then you can't provide, it is on you, not on me taking your job. May the best qualified people get the jobs.
This is not how most women find themselves in the juicy positions they occupy these days. But you know, political correctness and all, no one wants to discuss the real reason.
Hint: definitely not merit.

3 Likes

Re: Should Men Be Given Some Priority When Seeking Jobs? by budaatum: 4:46pm On Jan 10, 2021
angelfallz:

He is right, women aren't designed to work as hard as some of them do.

In fact statistics have shown that in developed countries women tend to gravitate towards degrees that are less stressful, while their counterparts in developing countries gravitate towards more stressful degrees due to the responsibility bringing their families out of poverty.

So what he said is not crap.
Actually, what he said is crap. Women operated in a male dominated world that oppressed women and limited them to certain roles and the op is now portraying the result of that oppression as some sort of norm. He'd be doing the same if he looked at all the slaves on an 18 Century American plantation and claimed statistics show slaves can be nothing but slaves!

No one is designed for a role apart from that of procreation, and there is not one single job a man can do that a woman can't do. You are however welcome to prove me wrong.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should Men Be Given Some Priority When Seeking Jobs? by angelfallz(m): 4:49pm On Jan 10, 2021
budaatum:

Actually, what he said is crap. Women operated in a male dominated world that oppressed women and limited them to certain roles and the op is now portraying the result of that oppression as some sort of norm. He'd be doing the same if he looked at all the slaves on an 18 Century American plantation and claimed statistics show slaves can be nothing but slaves!

No one is designed for a role apart from that of procreation, and there is not one single job a man can do that a woman can't do. You are however welcome to prove me wrong.

Well, you and I have a major difference which is that, you believe that women were oppressed and I don't believe women were oppressed.
So in light of that, we can't continue this conversation.

2 Likes

Re: Should Men Be Given Some Priority When Seeking Jobs? by Chiquitq(f): 4:55pm On Jan 10, 2021
I've thought about this before and know where it is coming from.

I'm a country where jobs are so scarce, it won't be a totally bad idea.

The problem here is that, not all men are ready to be responsible adults.

So many women work hard these days and in many cases, end up marrying men that are not doing nearly as well.

There are men who are responsible and ready to work but the jobs have been taken up by women, so to speak...

At the end of the day, equal opportunities is the way to go.
Re: Should Men Be Given Some Priority When Seeking Jobs? by Winneygirl(f): 4:59pm On Jan 10, 2021
Let the qualified people get the job.
Men are not any better at jobs than women.
With the growing economic hardship, 2 incomes are better than 1.
If a man wants the job and wants a woman who earns no income, he should not turn around to resent his wife when all she does is collect money from him.
The truth is...."Money is never enough!!!!"
2 working individuals are better than 1. and if one of them lose the ability to earn, there can be a fall back option.
Let's stop the myopic view towards life. Women are more than housekeepers, and men are more than their ability to provide.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should Men Be Given Some Priority When Seeking Jobs? by Karleb(m): 5:01pm On Jan 10, 2021
So if a woman is more qualified we should give the job to a man because he has a family?

You would make a very great CEO. grin

This is menism.

3 Likes

Re: Should Men Be Given Some Priority When Seeking Jobs? by bukatyne(f): 6:15pm On Jan 10, 2021
angelfallz:

Your number 3 is somehow. What are you trying to say?

Exactly what it says.

If men (especially husbands) would be given priority to jobs (I.e. if five people merit a position, then the married man would be chosen) then there must be a system to ensure the men do not misappropriate the funds.

We don't want Mr. Mukalia to abandon his family and Chase Jennifer after collecting his salary.

1 Like

Re: Should Men Be Given Some Priority When Seeking Jobs? by angelfallz(m): 7:36pm On Jan 10, 2021
As women are currently given priority in jobs what system is in place to make sure the women don't mis appropriate the funds?

We don't want Jennifer to abandon her family and start buying gold jewellery and testing herself to holiday trips in Dubai and London.

Your replies are seriously biased.

bukatyne:

Exactly what it says.

If men (especially husbands) would be given priority to jobs (I.e. if five people merit a position, then the married man would be chosen) then there must be a system to ensure the men do not misappropriate the funds.

We don't want Mr. Mukalia to abandon his family and Chase Jennifer after collecting his salary.

Re: Should Men Be Given Some Priority When Seeking Jobs? by Mindlog: 8:08pm On Jan 10, 2021
A woman being economically empowered through a job is not an economic crime neither does it diminish her identity as she also needs to feel that sense of fulfilment that she is able to apply herself and her efforts rewarded financially. Why should she give that up?

A working woman is a gift to herself and her family, her qualification(s) be it academic or vocational, shouldn't be dismissed.

The focus should be on expanding the farmland rather than burning energy on who should not have access to the small corner that is already yielding harvest.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should Men Be Given Some Priority When Seeking Jobs? by bukatyne(f): 8:26pm On Jan 10, 2021
angelfallz:
As women are currently given priority in jobs what system is in place to make sure the women don't mis appropriate the funds?

We don't want Jennifer to abandon her family and start buying gold jewellery and testing herself to holiday trips in Dubai and London.

Your replies are seriously biased.

Women are given priority to jobs?

In some sectors, yes.

There is however no 'large scale' scheme to ensure only husbands get jobs like the OP is advocating.

Today, it is an open field (apart from some sectors of the service industry) for people to get jobs.

The problem is that the jobs are not enough (case study Nigeria) so the OP is advocating that husbands are given top priority because they are providers.

1 Like

Re: Should Men Be Given Some Priority When Seeking Jobs? by eyinjuege: 8:35pm On Jan 10, 2021
Arsenate:

This is not how most women find themselves in the juicy positions they occupy these days. But you know, political correctness and all, no one wants to discuss the real reason.
Hint: definitely not merit.

You can start dropping your own backpassage too.

Hint: Wink wink

undecided
Re: Should Men Be Given Some Priority When Seeking Jobs? by angelfallz(m): 8:37pm On Jan 10, 2021
Women are given priority in most sectors, not in some. I'm not only using Nigeria as a case study. It is not only as per job priority but also in terms of loans, grants, entrepreneurship training, scholarship etc.

I kind of support what the OP is saying, about husbands being giving priority, because of their role as providers. I took issue with your initial reply to the OP because, your tone suggested that all men(husbands) are some kind irresponsible gender that would just squander their salaries on girls instead of using their salaries for their families, and therefore, there needed to be some system in place to check mate their excesses.

However, you are right. If husbands are to be given priority of jobs over women and even men that aren't married due to the role as providers, then a system has to be in place to make sure that some men don't abuse it.

bukatyne:

Women are given priority to jobs?

In some sectors, yes.

There is however no 'large scale' scheme to ensure only husbands get jobs like the OP is advocating.

Today, it is an open field (apart from some sectors of the service industry) for people to get jobs.

The problem is that the jobs are not enough (case study Nigeria) so the OP is advocating that husbands are given top priority because they are providers.

Re: Should Men Be Given Some Priority When Seeking Jobs? by budaatum: 11:57pm On Jan 10, 2021
angelfallz:

Well, you and I have a major difference which is that, you believe that women were oppressed and I don't believe women were oppressed.
So in light of that, we can't continue this conversation.
Women oppression is not a belief but a fact. Some are old enough to tell you how daughters earned an income to send their brother's to school. Even this thread is evidence of female oppression. Imagine proposing women are kept by men in this day and age when the woman can go earn herself. Would such people not propose not educating their sister or daughter because what would they need educating for when some man will keep them?

Do not ever believe please. Always check the evidence so you know.
https://www.un.org/sustainabledevelopment/gender-equality/

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Industrial Gas Burner And 60litres Big Tower Cooking Pot For Sale / Help / Portharcourt: Let Me Be Your Foodstuff Supply Plug!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.