Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,204,148 members, 7,987,984 topics. Date: Monday, 28 October 2024 at 09:34 PM

Report Here On National Assembly Elections: 2nd April, 2011 - Politics (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Report Here On National Assembly Elections: 2nd April, 2011 (15471 Views)

IBB Shuns Governorship And House Of Assembly Elections In Niger / Presidential, National Assembly Elections Vicious – Soyinka / National Assembly Elections, Saturday 9th April, 2011 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Report Here On National Assembly Elections: 2nd April, 2011 by baksonlee: 5:50pm On Apr 02, 2011
I reserve my judgment till Monday. This was what PDP was sharing in Agege to vote for them lol.

Re: Report Here On National Assembly Elections: 2nd April, 2011 by 9ijaMan: 6:02pm On Apr 02, 2011
baksonlee:

I reserve my judgment till Monday. This was what PDP was sharing in Agege to vote for them lol.
www.nairaland.com/attachments/416745_196009_1790593657632_1623339276_1703014_4461499_n_jpgd4482394243fd65b33c3e24b61d6428f

How true is this? Anyone else who got this largesse from PDP @ Agege?
Re: Report Here On National Assembly Elections: 2nd April, 2011 by Vigilante: 6:13pm On Apr 02, 2011
@aisha2- Easy. Your excuse 4 Team Jega is becoming irritating. U just think Monday will be ok becos Jega says so. THINK
Re: Report Here On National Assembly Elections: 2nd April, 2011 by dayokanu(m): 6:33pm On Apr 02, 2011
APRIL 2,2011

The National Chairman,
Independent National Electoral Commission,
Headquarters Office,
Abuja

Dear Sir,
MASSIVE DISENFRANCHISEMENT OF CPC VOTERS

I want to draw to your attention the information we have received from all over the country that in many constituencies, the Congress for Progressive Change (CPC) logo is not on the Ballot paper! This information has come to us from places as far apart as Ogun, Jigawa, Gombe, Anambra, Imo and Rivers States where voting seemed to have started before the announcement putting off the election was made.

2.We believe that free and fair elections include providing the opportunity for all those who have been registered to vote to do so. The absence of the CPC logo from the ballot papers means to us, a premeditated attempt to prevent our numerous supporters from voting for those they believe can bring the change they demand to their lives.

3.The embarrassing thing about this absence is that it is not national. It is selective. Why would there be the CPC logo on some ballot papers for, say, the House of Representatives election in some constituencies and it is absent in some other constituencies, even in the same state! The same story is being told of what is happening in some states with the election to the Senate.

4.Mr. Chairman, we are grateful to God that for some other reasons, the National Assembly elections were put off today. I wonder what would have happened if the elections had taken place and our supporters had complained of the exclusion of the logo of their party from the ballot papers and the security agencies had pounced on them for disturbing the peace! In our view there cannot be greater provocation and proof of an open denial of a people’s right than deliberately preventing them from exercising a right the Constitution and the laws of the land grant.

5.If this lapse is discovered now, we wonder what awaits us in other elections. As one of the fastest growing political parties in the country, obviously because of the image of its presidential candidate, General Muhammadu Buhari, it is unthinkable that if a party is left out from the ballot papers you printed for the various elections, it would be that of the Congress for Progressive Change (CPC) whose logo is the PEN.

6.Our appeal is that you ensure that in the elections you conduct and which you have promised the whole world would be free, fair and transparent, the CPC is not denied full participation. We believe elections should be won through the ballot, not in courts which have proved to have problems of their own.

7We suggest that you conduct the presidential and national assembly elections on April 9. After all, the gubernatorial and state assembly elections will be held on the same day, April 16. Why can’t the presidential and national assembly elections be held on the same day too, for obvious reasons, including the fact that you can sort out the problem caused by the exclusion of some political parties from the ballot papers which MUST necessitate your ordering a reprint, and the fact that the banks would not have opened for stakeholders to collect money to meet their commitments to agents.

8.Failure to take to heart the suggestion of preventing chaos rather than curing it may lead to problems the rush to conduct the election on Monday April 4 may cause.

9. Please remain fully assured of our continued respect for your office and the commission you head.

Yours truly
For: CONGRESS FOR PROGRESSIVE CHANGE (CPC)

Prince Tony Momoh
NATIONAL CHAIRMAN
Re: Report Here On National Assembly Elections: 2nd April, 2011 by seanet02: 7:18pm On Apr 02, 2011
What is the problem with buhari? His party's logo was simply on the ballot papers of OGUN state at least in ABEOKUTA where i voted. Bundle of lies
Re: Report Here On National Assembly Elections: 2nd April, 2011 by otokx(m): 7:58pm On Apr 02, 2011
so people actually voted? yet my polling unit did not even start accreditation.
Re: Report Here On National Assembly Elections: 2nd April, 2011 by efisher(m): 8:11pm On Apr 02, 2011
Is it possible that even CPC National Chairman cannot recognize his party logo?

Re: Report Here On National Assembly Elections: 2nd April, 2011 by seanet02: 8:18pm On Apr 02, 2011
@otox, where are you residing? We have already started voting around 12:45 before news came about the postponement. The materials came late to our polling booth. Even over 70% of the people who registered and actually confirmed their name on the voters register list could not found their name on the list sent to our booth today, very absurd. Generally the postponement was a saving grace. Inec needs prayers.
Re: Report Here On National Assembly Elections: 2nd April, 2011 by kokogee: 8:58pm On Apr 02, 2011
seanet02:

What is the problem with buhari? His party's logo was simply on the ballot papers of OGUN state at least in ABEOKUTA where i voted. Bundle of lies

This is the aftermat of our mismanaged education system! Below is what the man said; the bolded explains it clearly:

dayokanu:

I want to draw to your attention the information we have received from all over the country that in many constituencies, the Congress for Progressive Change (CPC) logo is not on the Ballot paper! This information has come to us from places as far apart as Ogun, Jigawa, Gombe, Anambra, Imo and Rivers States where voting seemed to have started before the announcement putting off the election was made.

2.We believe that free and fair elections include providing the opportunity for all those who have been registered to vote to do so. The absence of the CPC logo from the ballot papers means to us, a premeditated attempt to prevent our numerous supporters from voting for those they believe can bring the change they demand to their lives.

3.The embarrassing thing about this absence is that it is not national. It is selective. Why would there be the CPC logo on some ballot papers for, say, the House of Representatives election in some constituencies and it is absent in some other constituencies, even in the same state! The same story is being told of what is happening in some states with the election to the Senate.

That is in a state, a constituency may have the logo while another may not have it; so it is possible that your constituency has it and sm other constituencies do not have the logo on their ballot papers.
Re: Report Here On National Assembly Elections: 2nd April, 2011 by Eltonluigi(m): 10:02pm On Apr 02, 2011
'This election gonna flop', I told y'all!
Re: Report Here On National Assembly Elections: 2nd April, 2011 by ThinkRait: 10:36pm On Apr 02, 2011
kokogee:

This is the aftermat of our mismanaged education system! Below is what the man said; the bolded explains it clearly:

That is in a state, a constituency may have the logo while another may not have it; so it is possible that your constituency has it and sm other constituencies do not have the logo on their ballot papers.

A party's logo would only appear in the ballot paper in constituencies where the party presented candidates for elections.
INEC cannot afford to include over 50 party logos in every constituency in Nigeria.

@ Topic,

I got accredited somewhere in Lagos and more than 30 persons had voted before we got the announcement.
Out of 820 persons that registered in my ward, only 170 came for accreditation: about 21% of registered voters.

With the indelible ink already applied on the right and left thumb, how does INEC hope to prevent arguments come monday?
Re: Report Here On National Assembly Elections: 2nd April, 2011 by Brite02(m): 4:05am On Apr 03, 2011
Let's hope and see what April 4 brings.
Re: Report Here On National Assembly Elections: 2nd April, 2011 by BluStreak(m): 4:17am On Apr 03, 2011
@ people, talk is cheap reason all and sundry is yapping this and that. @Aisha1, you have time o. Just ignore these people that's refused to thinker in the line of Jega on this whole process. This man is hell bent on giving us a credible election like have never been seen in this country. He knows the country he lives in; that these election materials safety from being tampered can never be guaranteed anywere in this land. The military, the banks, even cbn would have compromised it. Reason he chose it to be flown in 24 hrs to election leaving insufficient time for reproduction by our evil get-there-by-all-means politicians. Those screaming he should have made alternative plans, checkout this example; you paid a typist to prepare you your project papers you have taken time to write, you agree on a date. Will you give the same project papers to another typist to prepare in case the first typist fails you? And on the appointed date he couldnt deliver because his computer crashed and he had to start the work all over. Lets be realistic, Jega wants to give us credible election. Lets cut him some slack.
Re: Report Here On National Assembly Elections: 2nd April, 2011 by Stevogue(m): 5:28am On Apr 03, 2011
I second your view Blustreak. If it had been in the Prof. Maurice Iwu days. With or without the result sheets and other materials that arrived late, we would have been listening to the 6 O'çlock news lamenting because PDP candidates would have long been declared winners. And Iwu would be on the network grandstanding. Jega showed great character by taking responsibility and apologizing. To as I write Iwu still insist his elections were credible! Even if Jega needs a second postponement to get it right, what does it matter. Whats the problem with Nigerians? What is our priority here? A timely election or a credible election? Lets cut Jega some slack and stop whining an unavoidable development. Need I also mention that from the outset JEGA complained of inadequate time even to the NASS. So if you tell me this premature pummelling of Jega is the spirit of the change we seek, then i can only say na na na na,
Re: Report Here On National Assembly Elections: 2nd April, 2011 by 9ijaMan: 5:44am On Apr 03, 2011
^^^
I agree with you guys. In fact I hope Jega listens to the voice of reasoning and shifts the election to next weekend or to the 23rd of April as some opposition parties have started to clamor for.
Re: Report Here On National Assembly Elections: 2nd April, 2011 by AYODEJI4LOVE(m): 7:30am On Apr 03, 2011
i tink i agree with you stevogue
Re: Report Here On National Assembly Elections: 2nd April, 2011 by Vigilante: 7:55am On Apr 03, 2011
Those of you applauding Jega give me the impression that he has handled this botched elections perfectly.
Re: Report Here On National Assembly Elections: 2nd April, 2011 by Nobody: 8:05am On Apr 03, 2011
No vigilnate, we are not saying he handled the election perfectly no situation can be perfect even in science there is the . 1 percent left for error. There was a system error and he handled that well. Iwu would have avoided the situation where he would get the blame Jega is getting now and gone ahead with an election which would have been highly rigged and the results hotly contested
Re: Report Here On National Assembly Elections: 2nd April, 2011 by otokx(m): 8:55am On Apr 03, 2011
how long will we continue in our simple thinking. There is a legal angle, election dates have a time frame; hope the courts won't declare the entire process illegal. It is then the JEGA will be exposed, made naked for the world to see.
Re: Report Here On National Assembly Elections: 2nd April, 2011 by arabambi: 10:21am On Apr 03, 2011
From the stable of failed projects, Nigerian style, comes another action block buster, "THE POSTPONED", A Must Watch, from makers of "CANCELLED" in June 1993 and, "FROM PRISONER TO PRESIDENT" in May 1999, !, Another Block Buster, "THE POSTPONED". Starring, Prof Jega (actor), It's in. INEC THEATRES AND MAJOR STORES NATION WIDE, GRAB YOUR COPY NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Report Here On National Assembly Elections: 2nd April, 2011 by agabaI23(m): 10:34am On Apr 03, 2011
aisha2:

No vigilnate, we are not saying he handled the election perfectly no situation can be perfect even in science there is the . 1 percent left for error. There was a system error and he handled that well. Iwu would have avoided the situation where he would get the blame Jega is getting now and gone ahead with an election which would have been highly rigged and the results hotly contested
Spot on aisha spot on!
Re: Report Here On National Assembly Elections: 2nd April, 2011 by Odunnu: 10:45am On Apr 03, 2011
No one can ever please Nigerians. No not one!
Re: Report Here On National Assembly Elections: 2nd April, 2011 by seanet02: 10:57am On Apr 03, 2011
@kokogee, what did you mean by Education mismanagement? Are you okay? Next time you address me like that you will regret ever logging into Nairaland. Ode Buruku. If buhari is saying some parts of OGUN state then it will have been understandable but to say the whole OGUN state is nothing but utter bundle of lies
Re: Report Here On National Assembly Elections: 2nd April, 2011 by sartorius(m): 1:04pm On Apr 03, 2011
It provoked me,the words "systemic failure" aisha reused it,

Why dont we say the truth in this country. He is a man of integrity but doesn't have good management capacity. Don't worry jega I know u are sorry.

Sorry for the economic waste which was saturday.
If @ 11 pm on fri why not declare this early.peoplw wud ve gone abt their business made more earinings.the cost to inec is much too. Pple have to be remobilised.,our crafty politicians wud have related with human and materials resources , after close to N100 bill spent, there is no reason why materials shud have been secured, in a strong house, a week ago, Zonally distributed , on wed in mini stong houses 6 zones, they are loads of charter airflights over europe and americas, it was a national assignment, :e who fails to plan, plans to fail, ,no plan b and c,

Sorry to a 96 year old woman who I saw , vote and insist to be heard.

South west revolution,
Acn wud rule over the west.cnpp over most of the north.pdp seast,ssouth,ncentral.

Gej preisdent
Sambo vice president
Frm s west.omisore likely wud likely loose potential s-president.

We can make nigeria great again.
Re: Report Here On National Assembly Elections: 2nd April, 2011 by Eltonluigi(m): 1:44pm On Apr 03, 2011
Still pessimistic!
Re: Report Here On National Assembly Elections: 2nd April, 2011 by HamidO1(m): 1:56pm On Apr 03, 2011
@ sartorious Are you for real?? Strong house, mini strong house at zonal level. Have you heard how our politicians arranged and kept money in the strong rooms of some banks in Abuja without recording any transaction when Obj and Atiku were sharing tax payers money for and against third term?? I believe Jega did everything in the interest of the common man, he tried to make sure nothing fell into the wrong hands. Off course it didn't work out but I strongly believe it will.
The widely accepted voters registration encountered numerous problems at the beginning but later went well.
The failure of the PDP government in the past 12 years has made many things difficult including Jega's job. The man had to keep asking for money to provide most things that ordinarily should be in place.
1. Inverters to charge laptops used for registration and even generators for practically all registration areas.
2. Accommodation for Corp members used when by now we should have corpers lodge in practically all wards, aren't there corpers serving their?
No one listened to Jega when the man was lamenting over the spate of court cases that trailed the various party primaries.
Inec's failure today is as a result of the failure of the PDP government in the last 12 years.
Re: Report Here On National Assembly Elections: 2nd April, 2011 by otokx(m): 2:51pm On Apr 03, 2011
JEGA is simply displaying a lack of understanding of a country he has always lived in.
Re: Report Here On National Assembly Elections: 2nd April, 2011 by sartorius(m): 3:03pm On Apr 03, 2011
Its the entire politcal class. No ideology, just personalities.I am aware he tried. Let's hope for the best.
Re: Report Here On National Assembly Elections: 2nd April, 2011 by Vigilante: 4:09pm On Apr 03, 2011
@aisha2 - can we just agree that Jega ought 2 have cancelled d election on Friday morning. That is not 2 much 2 ask abi
Re: Report Here On National Assembly Elections: 2nd April, 2011 by madamrich: 5:09pm On Apr 03, 2011
election postpone again
Re: Report Here On National Assembly Elections: 2nd April, 2011 by Allta(m): 5:31pm On Apr 03, 2011
Official post from inec's twitt: @inecnigeria

"THE CHAIRMAN AND NATIONAL COMMISSIONERS ARE IN A MEETING REGARDING POSTPONEMENT OF NASS ELECTIONS"
• 03/04/2011 17:02
Re: Report Here On National Assembly Elections: 2nd April, 2011 by Allta(m): 5:37pm On Apr 03, 2011
@inecnigeria
THE POSTPONEMENT HAS BEEN CONFIRMED. THE NEW DATES ARE AS FOLLOWS; NASS: 9th, PRESIDENTIAL:16th and GUBERNATORIAL 26th, ALL IN APRIL 2011.
Twitter for BlackBerry® • 03/04/2011 17:32

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

The Shamefulness Of The Politics Section Hall Of Shame / JAMBS Claim Responsibility For Soldiers Ambushed In Kogi / DSS Bars Journalists From Entering Courtroom As Nnamdi Kanu’s Trial Commences

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.