Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,192,989 members, 7,949,341 topics. Date: Sunday, 15 September 2024 at 06:58 AM

Legal System In Nigeria – Basic Tips Part 1 - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Legal System In Nigeria – Basic Tips Part 1 (192 Views)

Who Institutes Criminal Proceedings In The Nigerian Legal System? / Kidnapper Evans Unable To Pay Legal Fees, Trial Stalled / Universal Basic Education Staff Commits Suicide In Kwara Over Unpaid Salaries (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Legal System In Nigeria – Basic Tips Part 1 by lawgate2021: 3:15pm On Jan 12, 2021
I may have caused an accident! How should I react?

Keep calm and don’t react rash!

A client of mine was involved in a car accident where the other driver was harmed. So, my client asked me if she should send him an apology card to the hospital and wish him a speedy and happy recovery. To this question she got a firm “NO”.

The reason is simple: the get well wishes would contain a concession of being guilty. Why else should one write a get-well card and apologize for what happened, if he or she didn’t do anything wrong? In other words: if I were the lawyer of the insured victim, I would use this get-well card to tear the apologizing person in shreds in front of court.

Did this advice get me a step closer to hell? Yes, probably. But I am her lawyer and not her priest.

So, remember: No apologies - and no concessions. Not until a possible trial is over and/or your lawyer approves.

Want a strong lawyer to protect you? Sign up at https://app.lawgate.io/register and find a bloodhound of a lawyer within seconds!

(1) (Reply)

3 Persons Arraigned In Enugu For Alleged Internet Scam - EFCC / Unknown Man Laces Friend’s Drink In Party / Nigerian Police Offers N10m To Anyone With Useful Information About This Two Sus

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 5
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.