Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,199,949 members, 7,973,262 topics. Date: Saturday, 12 October 2024 at 12:35 PM

A Short Trip Down The Mind Of A Gambler - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / A Short Trip Down The Mind Of A Gambler (296 Views)

Advising And Addicted Gambler. / Effects Of Gambling On The Gambler. What You Should Know About Betting / Easter Break: Things You Need For A Short Trip As A Man (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Short Trip Down The Mind Of A Gambler by Benzinoooo: 9:28pm On Jan 24, 2021
One of the issues I have always pondered on lately is why societies all over the world, through their various law enforcement agencies are always fighting tooth and nail to ensure that drug addiction and abuse is eradicated or controlled to say the least, while gambling is legalised in most countries of the world. Merriam Webster defines the word "addiction"  as "a compulsive, chronic, physiological or psychological need for a habit-forming substance, behavior, or activity having harmful physical, psychological, or social effects and typically causing well-defined symptoms (such as anxiety, irritability, tremors, or nausea) upon withdrawal or abstinence : the state of being addicted". One can easily deduce that being addicted implies that the person in question has little or no control over the substance, behavior etc. This is exactly why it is said to be compulsive. Now, what is "gambling"? Gambling simply put is the act of risking something of worth, in the hope of getting something of even greater value and reward in return. 
In a country clouded in hopelessness like Nigeria, the human mind is bound to crave
some form of hope of financial transformation. Gambling avails a psychological need called "hope". After staking a bet, a gambler takes great pleasure drooling over his potential win, with great optimism quintessential of being convinced that he is exploring the world's best investment. On realizing he has lost, he takes solace in the believe that every dog has its day. As hope springs eternal, it becomes somewhat like an herculean task to break loose from the shackles of gambling. Also worthy of note is the gambler's conscious or subconscious doggedness not to let go of his losses. This is basically the gambler's psychology.
Gambling usually puts the gambler through the ordeal of an emotional rollercoaster of hope and dejection. This is bad for one's mental health as this ugly episode can in the long run degenerate into depression, suicide or other heartrending effect. We must realize also that a gambler is usually unproductive as he could take hours to forecast a game and also keep tabs on the latest score(s) (particularly when he stakes on football matches). We can't continue to play the ostrish on a fundamental issue as this, reason being, a touchstone of one's wellbeing is understanding that abstinence from anything that causes mental stress is necessary. For purpose of clarity, gambling is not a crime in Nigeria or most parts of the world, nevertheless, there is no necessary connection between the legality of an act and its effect on our mental health. I boldly state with immense certitude that gambling is the worst addiction ever. I state, notwithstanding that this submission of mine might not sit well with those who are knee-deep in the act. I mean no offence to anyone though...just my two-cents' worth. Please leave your comments below if any on the subject matter.

Re: A Short Trip Down The Mind Of A Gambler by elpochas: 9:53pm On Jan 24, 2021
Let me book space
Re: A Short Trip Down The Mind Of A Gambler by Ogonisoul(m): 1:51am On Jan 25, 2021
Thanks so much for your time in educating us
Re: A Short Trip Down The Mind Of A Gambler by Benzinoooo: 5:45am On Jan 25, 2021
Ogonisoul:
Thanks so much for your time in educating us

Thanks for taking out your precious time to read through.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Are You Looking For The Solution To Your Financial Problem? / How I Survived Selling Pure Water In Traffic - Physically Challenged Man / Ada Jesus’ 7 Year Old Daughter Is Not Mine – Husband Makes More Shocking Revelat

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.