Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,200 members, 7,887,522 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 10:04 AM

Land Belongs To God......and The Government - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Land Belongs To God......and The Government (115 Views)

'Banana Island Belonged To My Father But The Government Stole It' - Remi Adeleke / Nigeria: Overview Of The Compulsory Acquisition Of Land By The Government / Pls Read For The Sake Of God And My 2kids Please!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Land Belongs To God......and The Government by drewe20(m): 3:28pm On Jan 26, 2021
Recently, I had a conversion with a lady who’s into real estate sales and I found myself trying to explain to her that in Nigeria, by law, all land belongs to the government. She was surprised and said, “that may be true in Lagos but it’s not so in Portharcout. I have done deals in Portharcourt that had nothing to do with the government”. The truth is, the law recognizes indigenous ownership of land but all land belongs to the government.

It is for this reason that the government gives you a Certificate of Occupancy and not a Certificate of Ownership. You are given exclusive rights to the land and allowed to occupy it for a period of time. So, what you have is a right of occupancy and nothing more. This right can be revoked if you do not abide by its terms and conditions and if the land is needed by the government for the benefit of the public. And, even when you decide to sell the land, you can’t sell it legally without the consent of the government. That’s why the government issues every subsequent owner of the property a Governor’s Consent title.

This law is not unique to Nigeria. It is the same in most countries. And I think its origin is ancient because in the Old Testament book of Leviticus God said, “The land shall not be sold permanently, for the land is Mine; for you are strangers and sojourners with Me”.

www.oticsurveys.com/blog

Follow us now
Twitter @oticsurveys
Instagram @oticsurveys

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Just Out 4bedroom Semi Deatced Duplex With Bq Location Gbagada GRA Phase 2 Pr / For Sale 5 Bedrms Semi Dth Plus Bq Anthony 70m RC. 4bedrms Semi Dth Mende Maryl / Luxury 4bedroom Semi Detached Duplex In Chevron Drive Lekki

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 7
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.