Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,183,327 members, 7,920,190 topics. Date: Tuesday, 13 August 2024 at 09:31 PM

Why You Should Not Discuss Your Salary With A Colleague - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Why You Should Not Discuss Your Salary With A Colleague (340 Views)

TEK EXPERTS NIGERIA: Discuss Your Horrible Experience With The Company. / I Lost A Colleague To An Explosion At Work In Kogi (Graphic Photos) / How Do I Deal With Sexual Harassment From A Colleague? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Why You Should Not Discuss Your Salary With A Colleague by onefortunate(m): 3:45pm On Jan 27, 2021
Discussing your salary and work benefits/bonuses with a colleague is not a good idea. You may be wondering "I see nothing wrong in that, why shouldn't I know a colleague's salary and them knowing mine?" Here are four important reasons you shouldn't discuss your salary with a co-worker or anyone.

1. It brings love-hate relationship between you and such colleague

Overtime, it has been recorded that one of the most common reasons co-workers hold grudges against each other is because of their differences in pay check.

When you discuss your salary with a co-worker and it happens that you are being paid more than they are, such colleague may feel underpaid, they may start avoiding you or hold unnecessary grudge against you.

2. It reduces workability

A colleague may feel bad or inferior knowing that his salary is too low compared to yours. And if it happens that his/her salary is higher than yours, pompousness sets in on their part while you feel less of yourself on your own part, leading to having low self-esteem. This may also affect your productivity negatively.

3. Segregation among workers

Discussing salary with a colleagues can bring separation among them.

There have been cases of division or segregation between high earners and low earners. When this happens, it creates a work environment that is not healthy for individuals and the company itself.

4. People lie about their salaries

You do more harm to yourself when you disclose your salary to a colleague because people lie. A fellow staff can lie about their salary, they can either add to or subtract from the figure they earn. This can lead to you not performing your duties well, or becoming too proud. This can push you to demanding a raise from your boss instead of putting more effort into your work. You may end up losing your job for possessing a wrong information.

When you get a raise at work, keep it to yourself. These days, people respect you according to what you earn, keep them guessing.

It is better not to discuss your salary with a colleague, or even an outsider. If a friend asks how much you earn, just say "enough to feed me and pay my bills."

Read more articles like this and follow me on the platform by clicking the link below: https://bossmeek.com/kingsleyfortunate/5-things-you-should-consider-before-taking-a-loan/
Re: Why You Should Not Discuss Your Salary With A Colleague by MickzyDonald: 4:18pm On Jan 27, 2021
They still wont hear

(1) (Reply)

#加速主义 / Six Financial Rules You Should Never Break / 美国是最大的加速主义国家

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.