Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,119 members, 7,880,480 topics. Date: Thursday, 04 July 2024 at 07:08 PM

NNPC, Partners Sign FID On $3.6 Billion Brass Methanol Plant - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / NNPC, Partners Sign FID On $3.6 Billion Brass Methanol Plant (7477 Views)

Largest Methanol Plant In Africa To Be Built In Brass Bayelsa / Blackrose Chemicals Limited To Site It Ammonia And Methanol Plant In Ibeno, Aks / Alfred Diete-Spiff Flees Twon Brass Kingdom (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

NNPC, Partners Sign FID On $3.6 Billion Brass Methanol Plant by iwaeda: 10:01am On Jan 30, 2021
The Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) and its partners yesterday took a Final Investment Decision (FID) on the $3.6bn Integrated Gas Processing and Methanol Plant in Odioma, Brass Island, Bayelsa State.

The project is being executed by the Brass Fertiliser and Petrochemical Company Limited (BFPCL), an incorporated entity owned by the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC), DSV Engineering, and the Nigerian Content Development and Monitoring Board (NCDMB).

At the event, that national oil company pledged that it would do everything within its powers to ensure the prompt completion of the project.

Group Managing Director of the NNPC, Mallam Mele Kyari, who spoke during the FID signing ceremony of the project which held Friday at the Transcorp Hilton Hotel, Abuja, noted that the plant would be of immense economic benefits to the country when completed.

A press release by the Group General Manager, Group Public Affairs Division, Dr. Kennie Obateru, stated that the facility is projected to be the largest methanol plant in Africa and the first in Nigeria.

Kyari said the corporation would do everything possible to make the project come to fruition, noting that NNPC was pleased with the current efforts by the federal government to provide value for Nigeria’s gas resources.

Describing the FID as one of the most significant FIDs in recent times, Kyari said the project was in tandem with the earlier declaration of 2020 as the year of gas and 2021-2030 as the decade of gas by the minister of state for petroleum resources.

He remarked that the construction phase of the project would create about 30,000 jobs in addition to the 5,000 permanent jobs which would come in place when the plant becomes operational.

Earlier in his welcome address, the BFPCL Board Chairman, who is also the NNPC Chief Operating Officer, Gas and Power, Mr. Usman Yusuf, disclosed that already a lump sum Turnkey Engineering, Procurement and Construction (EPC) contract had been awarded to the China Tianchen Engineering Corporation (TCC) while TATA Consulting Engineers are providing project management consultancy for the delivery of the plant in 2024.

“In 2017, BFPCL secured an Initial Gas Sales and Purchase Agreement (GSPA) with SPDC JV for a 25-year supply of 270MMscf/d rich gas to the project.

“The integrated project is estimated to cost about $3.6 billion and is expected to deliver 10,000TPD Methanol products to the export and local markets,” he stated.

In his presentation, the Executive Vice-Chairman of BFPCL, Mr. Ben Okoye, said the signing of the FID was an affirmative vote and consent by the Board to construct the plant.

He explained that with a production capacity of 10,000 tons per day (tpd), the facility would be the largest methanol plant in Africa with a huge potential to provide gainful employment many youths both at the construction and operational stages.

Okoye informed that based on lessons learnt from the historic chequered relationships between host communities and oil and gas companies, the project would allow for host communities to have equity shareholding participation to give them a sense of belonging.

Speaking at the event, the Minister of State Petroleum Resources and Alternate Chairman of the NNPC Board, Chief Sylva, said the FID marked yet another milestone in the ongoing efforts to monetise and add value to the nation’s abundant natural gas endowments.

He noted that in July 2020, President Muhammadu Buhari approved the development of the Brass Gas Hub with the sole aim of aggregating and monetising all stranded gas in the Brass area which amounts to over 14 trillion cubic feet.

“Today we are witnessing the signing of the Final Investment Decision of Phase 1 of the Brass Gas Hub by the promoters of this laudable project.

“The project is expected to have very significant economic impact on the country including but not limited to support for gas based industries, revenue generation, import substitution for the methanol needs of the country that is currently 100 per cent imported, among others’’ the minister said.

While assuring the BFPCL of government support, he called on the company to ensure timeous completion of the project.

https://www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2021/01/30/nnpc-partners-sign-fid-on-3-6bn-brass-methanol-plant/amp/

Re: NNPC, Partners Sign FID On $3.6 Billion Brass Methanol Plant by triple996(m): 10:17am On Jan 30, 2021
9ice
Thaz good
Hope some people wont come and shout marginalization grin

1 Like

Re: NNPC, Partners Sign FID On $3.6 Billion Brass Methanol Plant by CodeTemplar: 10:39am On Jan 30, 2021
Operation Drain ND Resources.

1 Like

Re: NNPC, Partners Sign FID On $3.6 Billion Brass Methanol Plant by Akeem79(m): 11:02am On Jan 30, 2021
Buhari is working grin

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: NNPC, Partners Sign FID On $3.6 Billion Brass Methanol Plant by Sammy07: 11:03am On Jan 30, 2021
That's good. cool

Bayelsa should be more develop than that.
Love the state buh things costly sad
Re: NNPC, Partners Sign FID On $3.6 Billion Brass Methanol Plant by Ekugbeh(m): 11:12am On Jan 30, 2021
You have to spend $3.6b to create 5k jobs.

Isokay

2 Likes

Re: NNPC, Partners Sign FID On $3.6 Billion Brass Methanol Plant by Writendearn: 11:16am On Jan 30, 2021
NNPC and fraud in Nigeria are like this. The institutions and their activities self eh e just tire me

2 Likes

Re: NNPC, Partners Sign FID On $3.6 Billion Brass Methanol Plant by QuotaSystem: 11:16am On Jan 30, 2021
Ekugbeh:
You have to spend $3.6b to create 5k jobs.

Isokay

That is simply one of the fringe benefits.

You forgot the value it would add to our huge gas reserves & revenue the plant would generate for the country.

Kudos to the FG.
Re: NNPC, Partners Sign FID On $3.6 Billion Brass Methanol Plant by lawalosky(m): 11:22am On Jan 30, 2021
NNPC is gradually becoming irrelevant

Re: NNPC, Partners Sign FID On $3.6 Billion Brass Methanol Plant by Hez143(m): 11:25am On Jan 30, 2021
Re: NNPC, Partners Sign FID On $3.6 Billion Brass Methanol Plant by laterthings: 12:08pm On Jan 30, 2021
how can i secure a job there
Re: NNPC, Partners Sign FID On $3.6 Billion Brass Methanol Plant by blackpanda: 12:17pm On Jan 30, 2021
Nigeria is moving forward
Re: NNPC, Partners Sign FID On $3.6 Billion Brass Methanol Plant by whela(m): 12:25pm On Jan 30, 2021
Really..always signing deal , yet no single changes as promised...

1 Like

Re: NNPC, Partners Sign FID On $3.6 Billion Brass Methanol Plant by chaloskyx: 12:26pm On Jan 30, 2021
NASO DEAD ON ARRIVAL NO BE NAIJA 2023 AND THAT PROJECT WOULD YET TO KICKOFF AND WOULD DIE A NATURAL DEATH
Re: NNPC, Partners Sign FID On $3.6 Billion Brass Methanol Plant by jesmond3945: 12:29pm On Jan 30, 2021
QuotaSystem:

That is simply one of the fringe benefits.

You forgot the value it would add to our huge gas reserves & revenue the plant would generate for the country.

Kudos to the FG.
when the world is going green?
Re: NNPC, Partners Sign FID On $3.6 Billion Brass Methanol Plant by QuotaSystem: 12:33pm On Jan 30, 2021
jesmond3945:
when the world is going green?

Gas is also a cleaner fuel and we cannot continue to waste it by flaring which also does damage to the environment and planet.
Re: NNPC, Partners Sign FID On $3.6 Billion Brass Methanol Plant by Cargoed: 12:34pm On Jan 30, 2021
Oil will be used just for plastics, Gas is the way forward, but even gas days are numbered due to carbon credits system and Paris climate agreement. Methanol is a very useful industrial product. And a very clean way to produce clean hydrogen for fuelcell technology and many more including clean power generation from steam.

But can Nnpc really pull this off, what happened to Nafcon?
Re: NNPC, Partners Sign FID On $3.6 Billion Brass Methanol Plant by Nobody: 12:40pm On Jan 30, 2021
CodeTemplar:
Operation Drain ND Resources.

Lord knows I am no Buhari supporter...but I fail to see how a plant that will do the following...

He explained that with a production capacity of 10,000 tons per day (tpd), the facility would be the largest methanol plant in Africa with a huge potential to provide gainful employment many youths both at the construction and operational stages.

would drain ND resources.

Besides, what Nigeria needs is more industries, not selling and sharing raw materials.
Re: NNPC, Partners Sign FID On $3.6 Billion Brass Methanol Plant by LikeAking: 12:57pm On Jan 30, 2021
Na scam.
Re: NNPC, Partners Sign FID On $3.6 Billion Brass Methanol Plant by CodeTemplar: 1:00pm On Jan 30, 2021
Vardanes2:

Lord knows I am no Buhari supporter...but I fail to see how a plant that will do the following...

would drain ND resources.

Besides, what Nigeria needs is more industries, not selling and sharing raw materials.
I don't think you are balanced upstairs.
If not an attempt at draining the ND, why isn't a jewelry factory built around zamfara's gold or osun's own? Zamfara and Osun are both poorer than ND but left their own resources to focus on a billion dollar plant that will drain another man's own. Which is easier to explorer between gold and methanol going by the cost of the plant.
Re: NNPC, Partners Sign FID On $3.6 Billion Brass Methanol Plant by CodeTemplar: 1:02pm On Jan 30, 2021
Sammy07:
That's good. cool

Bayelsa should be more develop than that.
Love the state buh things costly sad
Development by exploring their resource and shielding yours for local to illegally mine.
Re: NNPC, Partners Sign FID On $3.6 Billion Brass Methanol Plant by Sammy07: 1:04pm On Jan 30, 2021
CodeTemplar:
Development by exploring their resource and shielding yours for local to illegally mine.

I will be grateful id it can be situated in my state
Re: NNPC, Partners Sign FID On $3.6 Billion Brass Methanol Plant by CodeTemplar: 1:05pm On Jan 30, 2021
Cargoed:
Oil will be used just for plastics, Gas is the way forward, but even gas days are numbered due to carbon credits system and Paris climate agreement. Methanol is a very useful industrial product. And a very clean way to produce clean hydrogen for fuelcell technology and many more including clean power generation from steam.

But can Nnpc really pull this off, what happened to Nafcon?
Nonsense. When will they start exploring Zamfara's gold. Zamfara is way poorer than ND but seems the same FG is contended with 'illegal miners' exploring it right? All the oil stolen for 50 years, where has it taken us to?
Re: NNPC, Partners Sign FID On $3.6 Billion Brass Methanol Plant by CodeTemplar: 1:07pm On Jan 30, 2021
Sammy07:

I will be grateful id it can be situated in my state
How come Zamfara's gold that needs far less capital to process isn't being prioritized? You think I don't see through you.
Re: NNPC, Partners Sign FID On $3.6 Billion Brass Methanol Plant by Nobody: 1:26pm On Jan 30, 2021
CodeTemplar:

I don't think you are balanced upstairs

Thank you very much, good sir for your kind words on the status of my mind.

If not an attempt at draining the ND, why isn't a jewelry factory built around zamfara's gold or osun's own? Zamfara and Osun are both poorer than ND but left their own resources to focus on a billion dollar plant that will drain another man's own. Which is easier to explorer between gold and methanol going by the cost of the plant

That's where the lazy state and local governors of those states need to wake up and do something called 'attract investors'....plus companies too need to do something as well if they wish...which is why the government needs to wake up on security, especially Zamfara (which has been uselessly handled all these years.).
Re: NNPC, Partners Sign FID On $3.6 Billion Brass Methanol Plant by CodeTemplar: 1:39pm On Jan 30, 2021
Vardanes2:

Thank you very much, good sir for your kind words on the status of my mind.

That's where the lazy state and local governors of those states need to wake up and do something called 'attract investors'....plus companies too need to do something as well if they wish...which is why the government needs to wake up on security, especially Zamfara (which has been uselessly handled all these years.).

So you mean Bayelsa is the one waking up to attract the methanol investors? You confirmed my assertion about the state of your mind with this post of yours.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ikpeazu: Mushroom Political Parties Pick PDP Recalcitrants In Abia / BREAKING: Tinubu’s Guinean Passport Is “diplomatic Passport”, Embassy Confirms / Ritual Murder Allegation: Terrible With Pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.