Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,177,406 members, 7,901,117 topics. Date: Friday, 26 July 2024 at 12:13 AM

Public Universities Should Send Social Science Students Back Home - Opinion - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Public Universities Should Send Social Science Students Back Home - Opinion (37752 Views)

Offa Old Students Back To School, 35 Years After High School (Video) / George Weah Declares Tuition Free In Public Universities In Liberia / ASUU Rejects N500k School Fee Proposal For Public Universities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Public Universities Should Send Social Science Students Back Home - Opinion by Jesse6(m): 12:34pm On Feb 01, 2021
We're not talking about the learning part now
The accessing is the main thing bro
tumababa:

I’m not a student. Knowing how to use the internet is part of learning. Especially social science.
Re: Public Universities Should Send Social Science Students Back Home - Opinion by SirWarlock: 12:35pm On Feb 01, 2021
micflo28:
I rather opine that government should give out to students tablets on zero interest rate loan to be paid by parents and fully loaded with 10Gig data to aid online classes from their respective homes. Private universities can be allowed to remain opened as they don't have the population public universities have. Science, Medicine and Engineering students can remain on campus but must observe all due protocols.
even if they try to do something like that people will still kick grin.
Re: Public Universities Should Send Social Science Students Back Home - Opinion by SirWarlock: 12:40pm On Feb 01, 2021
AntiFeminism:
that guy is a frustrated jambite.
Just ignore him
na so grin. You are definitely an undergraduate yourself grin.
Re: Public Universities Should Send Social Science Students Back Home - Opinion by Jacksparrow7(m): 12:40pm On Feb 01, 2021
chatinent:
There's no course that cannot be taught at home.

Will you keep quiet

1 Like

Re: Public Universities Should Send Social Science Students Back Home - Opinion by SirWarlock: 12:41pm On Feb 01, 2021
IbokPatrick:
Our girlfriends dy Social Science abeg
gbam grin.

1 Like

Re: Public Universities Should Send Social Science Students Back Home - Opinion by SirWarlock: 12:42pm On Feb 01, 2021
Angelfrost:

It should... It has been successfully dodging markets, religious/worship centers, political rallies/gatherings, elite weddings, etc, in Nigeria for over a year now!

So, why keep the long-suffering students at home??! grin
well I hope it keeps dodging schools grin.
Re: Public Universities Should Send Social Science Students Back Home - Opinion by AntiFeminism(f): 12:44pm On Feb 01, 2021
Cuntface:

Kindly take your opinion and shove it.
Stupid uneducated thing
I love this kiss
Best reply to that dumb and foolish idiot
Re: Public Universities Should Send Social Science Students Back Home - Opinion by Nobody: 12:44pm On Feb 01, 2021
Richy4:

Can you imagine his Guts? smiley.....
In as much as he got a valid reason that courses should be taught online because of Covid,..... but singling out faculties just because he can was outrageous... He was implying that Engineering and other faculties he mentioned has no theoretical aspects........as a matter of fact, how many time do they do practical in Nigerian institution?

Take computer/ electrical engineering for example, there are certain things/ element that those offering that course does not know it's function/ use even when they were in Final year.... Civil engineering students, how many times do they go on field work for practical?... I don't know if he was deliberately trying to annoy people.... If that was the case, He got me..
You're just being unnecessarily aggressive over a logical post. Every course has its own perculiarity. It doesn't take its glory away from it.

Asking how many times engineering students carry out practicals is laughable because they do it almost every day. That does not mean they are being taught how to repair television or radio. What you don't know is really beyond you.
Re: Public Universities Should Send Social Science Students Back Home - Opinion by tidalstorm(m): 12:46pm On Feb 01, 2021
AntiFeminism:
you're stupid and dumb

madam, stop dey catch feelings. What OP said was the truth. If you go to a public university, the only thing a lecturer does is to give you handouts to photocopy. And if he pleases, he explains a thing or two and tells you to prepare for exams. All this can be done online. Except for the science students OP mentioned who have to go to the laboratory for physics, chemistry, medical etc practicals.
Why most of una dey complain na because una wan leave house come flex freedom for school. Especially all this art students wey nothing dem dey do for school.

SirWarlock:
the same ones that will still come and shout school na scam grin.

Na dem.
Oyigbo and all this private universities wey dey do online classes sef no better pass our public school systems.

1 Like

Re: Public Universities Should Send Social Science Students Back Home - Opinion by AntiFeminism(f): 12:47pm On Feb 01, 2021
membranus:

The cost of maintaining them in the school campus, which includes feeding, accommodation and transport, can buy any data they need for internet acess at home.
I can see your membrane is leaking.
Go fix it before you comment
Re: Public Universities Should Send Social Science Students Back Home - Opinion by lookingfly: 12:47pm On Feb 01, 2021
edoairways:

Public universities are subsided by the government so what stop them from subsiding data? You didn't consider other fingers or you think all fingers are equal?. You think because James wears good shirts and shoes all is well. Don't you see people begging for money to eat on this platform or are they spirit. Haven't you ask why many public universities delay their resumption?. If you think education is expensive as you claim, why the sudden reduction of fees by Lagos state government, at least he should have increased it?
this argument will take us no where...wether you like or not, education comes with its own spending and it's even much easier to get access to lectures online than get crowded in lecture halls where one has to stand sometimes to receive lectures. All you based your conclusion is people don't have money bla! Take it or leave it, online lecture is cheaper compared to one having to go lecture halls.

1 Like

Re: Public Universities Should Send Social Science Students Back Home - Opinion by Nobody: 12:47pm On Feb 01, 2021
Jesse6:
We're not talking about the learning part now
The accessing is the main thing bro

If a social science student can have access to whatsapp, he can av access to online class.
Re: Public Universities Should Send Social Science Students Back Home - Opinion by Nobody: 12:47pm On Feb 01, 2021
elmessiahs:
very illogical, belittling one faculty while exhorting another is symptomatic of bias and this simply shows why Nigeria is backward. with such thought in peoples mind, we are heading for a crash
How has he belittled a faculty? Every course has its own perculiarity. Even abroad, they run some of these courses online too.

The issue is inferiority complex. When you feel inferior, instead of approaching issues objectively, you see it from a point of marginalisation.
Re: Public Universities Should Send Social Science Students Back Home - Opinion by LivingSage: 12:50pm On Feb 01, 2021
AntiFeminism:
You're a fool and idiot for this trash you've posted
I thought all tertiary institutions has resumed for kids like this to leave NL
Re: Public Universities Should Send Social Science Students Back Home - Opinion by AntiFeminism(f): 12:51pm On Feb 01, 2021
LivingSage:

I thought all tertiary institutions has resumed for kids like this to leave NL
your father is the kid.
Bastard fucck off my mentions.
Idiot
Re: Public Universities Should Send Social Science Students Back Home - Opinion by KingAlabi: 12:51pm On Feb 01, 2021
edoairways:

An average zoom video call is about 400mb. So if you have classes for 4 days, it is about 1.6G. Secondly, many locality have poor network signal.
Alright I get you
Re: Public Universities Should Send Social Science Students Back Home - Opinion by AndikanEssien(m): 12:52pm On Feb 01, 2021
edoairways:
I disagree with you on this. To start with,how many students can afford data for zoom video calls?. Talk is indeed cheap

The cost of paying for rent for a year at school will cover for data

1 Like

Re: Public Universities Should Send Social Science Students Back Home - Opinion by edoairways: 12:55pm On Feb 01, 2021
lookingfly:
this argument will take us no where...wether you like or not, education comes with its own spending and it's even much easier to get access to lectures online than get crowded in lecture halls where one has to stand sometimes to receive lectures. All you based your conclusion is people don't have money bla! Take it or leave it, online lecture is cheaper compared to one having to go lecture halls.
Online lecture is cheap?. . So because you could afford 1.5 gig data, you think others can?. You think all cities and villages have stable network for video streaming?.
Re: Public Universities Should Send Social Science Students Back Home - Opinion by edoairways: 12:58pm On Feb 01, 2021
KingAlabi:

Alright I get you
That is the issue. If the cost of data can be subsized, then it might work even though some areas may have poor network signal. Better still, lecturers can record their lectures and then post them on YouTube.
Re: Public Universities Should Send Social Science Students Back Home - Opinion by Richy4(m): 12:58pm On Feb 01, 2021
ThreeBlackBird:

You're just being unnecessarily aggressive over a logical post. Every course has its own perculiarity. It doesn't take its glor y away from it.

Asking how many times engineering students carry out practicals is laughable because they do it almost every day. That does not mean they are being taught how to repair television or radio. What you don't know is really beyond you.

Engineering students carry out practical everyday? In Nigerian institutions? Haahaha
Re: Public Universities Should Send Social Science Students Back Home - Opinion by membranus: 12:58pm On Feb 01, 2021
AntiFeminism:
I can see your membrane is leaking.
Go fix it before you comment

Yes Ma, my Ms Antifeminism, I will quickly fix my leaking membrane.

Forgive me, na small boy dey do me. Mek you no vex, I no want your kasala.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Public Universities Should Send Social Science Students Back Home - Opinion by Nobody: 1:01pm On Feb 01, 2021
Richy4:

Engineering students carry out practical everyday? In Nigerian institutions? Haahaha
Are you deliberately blind to the "almost" or you're just whining? Well, I don't expect you to know these things. Who no go no go know. Engineering is not English or sociology.
Re: Public Universities Should Send Social Science Students Back Home - Opinion by Sheuns(m): 1:07pm On Feb 01, 2021
femi4:
Who will incure the data cost

The schools can charge only tuition fee and forget the additional fees they charge. E.g maintenance and all. This way, students will pay lesser amount while learning from home. That way they can use the little they have to get data. And the classes can be 3 times a week.
Re: Public Universities Should Send Social Science Students Back Home - Opinion by Nobody: 1:07pm On Feb 01, 2021
chatinent:
There's no course that cannot be taught at home.

How do you teach Medicine and Surgery at home? Or you just wanted to say something?
Re: Public Universities Should Send Social Science Students Back Home - Opinion by Nobody: 1:09pm On Feb 01, 2021
Auladimeji:
You're very correct but majorities of the medicine are useless in Nigeria,90% of drugs in Nigeria are imported yet people have been studying this course since ages.
How many technology can repair or cupple a Nokia touch phone...Many go to school but school no go through them
When you make statements like this you should also point out how the problem should be solved. If you say its belittling then proffer a solution on how to teach students of Medicine and Surgery. Don't just type sentimentally...add a little wisdom

1 Like

Re: Public Universities Should Send Social Science Students Back Home - Opinion by BadBradley: 1:11pm On Feb 01, 2021
HigherEd:
Considering the current Covid19 increased virulence and the obvious lack of a vaccine in Nigeria. it might be a good idea for students of social sciences, education, business and commerce, law etc to go back home in a bid to depopulate the Universities.

The reason is majority of these programmes can be conveniently taught online. As a matter of fact, the recent zoom update is quite better improved to support teaching. E.g a large class of students can now breakout into different breakout sessions therefore improving the experience.

The only students that should be retained in school at this moment in my opinion should be those of the science and technology, medicine and surgical departments who need to use laboratories and can't simulate such an educational experience online.

MyTwoCents
the levels of medicine, engineering and sciences that don't require lab teaching should be sent home as well.
Re: Public Universities Should Send Social Science Students Back Home - Opinion by SirWarlock: 1:14pm On Feb 01, 2021
BadBradley:
the levels of medicine, engineering and sciences that don't require lab teaching should be sent home as well.
now that's a point that people could have added. Basically like what OAU is planning.

2 Likes

Re: Public Universities Should Send Social Science Students Back Home - Opinion by Serveyouright(m): 1:15pm On Feb 01, 2021
[color=#990000][/color]
AntiFeminism:
your father is the kid.
Bastard fucck off my mentions.
Idiot

Must you insult people before you make a point. Stop it. This is public forum.
Re: Public Universities Should Send Social Science Students Back Home - Opinion by BreconHills(m): 1:15pm On Feb 01, 2021
Auladimeji:
You're very correct but majorities of the medicine are useless in Nigeria,90% of drugs in Nigeria are imported yet people have been studying this course since ages.
How many technology can repair or cupple a Nokia touch phone...Many go to school but school no go through them

Medical graduates in Nigeria useless? Really? The rest of the world doesn't agree with you.
Re: Public Universities Should Send Social Science Students Back Home - Opinion by Princessjoke(f): 1:20pm On Feb 01, 2021
Y'all talking about data, how about cost of staying in school like transport, cost of food and miscellaneous sha, so they should divert all that into getting data
sapoyoro:
who will incure cost of data?
talk is cheap
Re: Public Universities Should Send Social Science Students Back Home - Opinion by adexpa(m): 1:21pm On Feb 01, 2021
Life evolves and so everything thereof, we need to understand that every challenge (e.g covid-19) came with equal blessings but it takes openness of mind to digest and identify it. So many activities have gone online this days as a result of restrictions placed on Individuals in order to curb the covid-19, many organizations does their work online and likewise many schools. I support the motion that government and individual bodies needs to look into the idea of online activities holistically and vet out ways it can be a blessing for everyone. It is not a must to be at the four wall of school before we can learn, and I think it will be a plus because we will be able to do many other things while we're still pursuing a degree, one should not be stuck in school just for a degree. It should be an holistical view and will be moderated n perfect over time.
Re: Public Universities Should Send Social Science Students Back Home - Opinion by sapoyoro(m): 1:22pm On Feb 01, 2021
Princessjoke:
Y'all talking about data, how about cost of staying in school like transport, cost of food and miscellaneous sha, so they should divert all that into getting data
its not always that straightforward ma'am..
for some people its actually cheaper to be in school than home.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

IPPIS: Some VCs Collected N58,000 As February Salary – ASUU / Nigerian Pupils Make Dresses With Needle And Thread (Photos) / University Of Nigeria 'UNN' Dropout Made A Lecturer By Hong Kong University

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.