Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,191,053 members, 7,942,810 topics. Date: Saturday, 07 September 2024 at 05:28 PM

Taking A Vacation: Luxury Or Necessity? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Taking A Vacation: Luxury Or Necessity? (3979 Views)

Poll: Are vacations a luxury or a necessity?

Luxury: 13% (7 votes)
Necessity: 86% (44 votes)
This poll has ended

5 Signs Your Boss Is Taking Advantage Of You / When Best Do We Invent? During Necessity Or When Economy Is Buoyant: (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Taking A Vacation: Luxury Or Necessity? by joygirl1(f): 12:26pm On Jul 04, 2007
Most Nigerians do not go on holiday and they don't know that they are tempting the stress gods.

You need not travel out of the country. We have lovely places that you can visit within the country.

The advantages of taking a holiday outnumber they disadvantages, part of which is:
it helps you recharge your batteries and [makes you] more effective at work.
Re: Taking A Vacation: Luxury Or Necessity? by DisGuy: 12:33pm On Jul 04, 2007
Totally agree with you cheesy

joy girl:

most Nigerians do not go on holiday and they don't know that they are tempting the stress gods. you need not travel out of the country, we have lovely places that you can visit within the country.the advantages of taking a holiday out number they disadvantages, part of which; it help you recharge your batteries and more effective at work
Re: Taking A Vacation: Luxury Or Necessity? by joygirl1(f): 2:22pm On Jul 04, 2007
When you take time out to rest you will be more active and productive at work. that is what i mean by recharging your batteries.
Re: Taking A Vacation: Luxury Or Necessity? by DisGuy: 12:12am On Jul 05, 2007
one of the reasons why those bank staffs look so miserable, i wonder if they ever get 'leave'. I'm sure most of the time they just rest at home or go back to the village.

the bank managers and directors go on holiday every other month = seminar wink
Re: Taking A Vacation: Luxury Or Necessity? by ne4real(f): 9:13am On Jul 06, 2007
i believe it is a necessity cos if u keep on streesing ur body, it'l break down one day and u'l be forced to give urself a holiday. but it's unfortunate here in Nigeria, we see it as a luxury cos of the poverty level.

i dont blame us sha, if we had d money to spend, i'm sure we'l always go on hols.

afterall who like better thing. tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue
Re: Taking A Vacation: Luxury Or Necessity? by dominobaby(f): 9:40am On Jul 06, 2007
It depends on if you've got the money, then it either becomes a necessity or a luxury. You can't expect a family man with children and barely earning 70 grand to think of taking a vacation, that's bigtime unnecessary luxury.
Re: Taking A Vacation: Luxury Or Necessity? by joygirl1(f): 2:59pm On Jul 08, 2007
you don't need to have all the money in the world, you can take a trip down to ikongosi or visit some of the tourist centers we have in Nigeria.please don't die before your time.
Re: Taking A Vacation: Luxury Or Necessity? by iice(f): 3:21pm On Jul 08, 2007
Necessity for me oh! I always try to go on vacations grin If not na breakdown go get me grin
Re: Taking A Vacation: Luxury Or Necessity? by DisGuy: 4:33pm On Jul 11, 2007
dominobaby:

It depends on if you've got the money, then it either becomes a necessity or a luxury. You can't expect a family man with children and barely earning 70 grand to think of taking a vacation, that's bigtime unnecessary luxury.

I'm sure if the wife/partner is earning around the same they can enjoy about 2 weeks holiday (they should leave the older kids to fend for themselves). Obudu, Abuja, Ogun state, Yankari even Ghana
Re: Taking A Vacation: Luxury Or Necessity? by fromuk(m): 8:26pm On Jul 11, 2007
It all depends on the income level of the family, somebody that struggles to pay house rent and feeding for his family don't need yankari or ghana for holidays.Most of the bankers you see takes care of their parents and younger once in the university hence it will difficult to swap those onus for a trip abroad in the name of hoiday. Everybody likes better thing but when the means is not there it becomes luxury.
Re: Taking A Vacation: Luxury Or Necessity? by olofinjeje: 8:57pm On Jul 11, 2007
Most Nigerians do not even understand how to vacation.I used to "go on holidays" which meant trudging through the streets of London,trawling through shops searching for the ever elusive bargains,buying gifts for people who at the end of the day were usually not grateful.At the end of the day I would return to Nigeria more stressed than when I left actually needing a holiday to recover from MY HOLIDAYS.

7 years ago after some  near heartattack/ stroke inducing life issues ,I stuck a pin on the map and took a vacation to a country where I knew no one and the shopping was rubbish.I actually was forced to relax and enjoy the different culture.I swear that restored the over 10 years all my other holiday wakajugbe had taken from my life.
Now  I go to the most obscure places in the world and I take my children with me.Even when I go to the UK, I make sure that the long holidays is not for being visited by all the people wanting to see me and telling about their tales of woe or otherwise-I make it short and brief (usually in some off beat place like Cardiff,Midlands etc) then spend only 2 or 3 days in London en route to another unknown destination-TO RELAX.

Taking a vacation-definitely a life saving must- TO WHEREVER ,EVEN THE VILLAGE!

1 Like

Re: Taking A Vacation: Luxury Or Necessity? by Caradona(f): 10:27pm On Jul 11, 2007
@ TOPIC

You can't really take holidays and when you do, You end up in the village
and stress levels gets up even higher by the people begging for help and the likes
Re: Taking A Vacation: Luxury Or Necessity? by NiteAngel(m): 10:37pm On Jul 11, 2007
Unfortunately a number of people can't comprehend why one should go on vacation; it is classified as waste but I take a cue from Jesus who chose to rest a while.

Part of my agenda while on vacation is spiritual and physical renewal; spending quality time with God. I also use it as an opportinity to hang out with friends I haven't seen in a long while. Really sleeping (not with one eye open) and relaxing my mind is a big part of the agenda. Shopping is something I leave till the very last and often it is to get a souvenir or to give myself a treat. After all the life that does the labour deserves a treat.
Re: Taking A Vacation: Luxury Or Necessity? by Ndipe(m): 2:08am On Jul 12, 2007
Even taking a respite in the village, after a periodic stay in town is a boost to your own health. You dont have to go on vacation at exotic places.
Re: Taking A Vacation: Luxury Or Necessity? by uchetobi(f): 8:48am On Jul 12, 2007
Nigerians go on holiday. Taking a few weeks off work and not thinking of work related issues is a holiday. Whether you are out of the country or lounging in your bedroom watching all the dvd’s you’ve piled up over the years or lying in your lovers’ arms’
Re: Taking A Vacation: Luxury Or Necessity? by angel101(f): 9:22am On Jul 12, 2007
@olofinjeje
U said it all!

fromuk:

It all depends on the income level of the family, somebody that struggles to pay house rent and feeding for his family don't need yankari or ghana for holidays.Most of the bankers you see takes care of their parents and younger once in the university hence it will difficult to swap those onus for a trip abroad in the name of hoiday. Everybody likes better thing but when the means is not there it becomes luxury.

holiday does not have to mean a trip abroad.
Re: Taking A Vacation: Luxury Or Necessity? by Eagle1(m): 10:02am On Jul 12, 2007
It should be a necessity but the economic situation apparently makes it seem like a luxury. Imagine a self employed man who stuck his first deal after more than 3 years of trudging the streets. He'll continus untilhe gets the next deal. What leave angry angry angry angry angry
Re: Taking A Vacation: Luxury Or Necessity? by mimiko(f): 10:17am On Jul 12, 2007
necessity! but if money no dey nko
Re: Taking A Vacation: Luxury Or Necessity? by desgiezd(m): 11:00am On Jul 12, 2007
A luxury because of lean purses
Re: Taking A Vacation: Luxury Or Necessity? by Blue2(m): 11:04am On Jul 12, 2007
Going on vacation should not be a luxury. Like many have pointed out a vacation doesn't have to be very grandiose a la carribean and so on. i visited Calabar recently and i must say that the place is a tourist gold mine!! vacatiobn to quite a number of naija folks means going to teh village and probably face anotehr bout of family wahala and then co-ordinate that dream country home. it's work all over again.
Manay people say vacataions are exensic\ve i bet they never sat down to do tehir research. if we cut back on soem expenses we can afford that "expensive" holiday somewhere in nigeria or Sao Tome and Prinicple (another beatiful Paradise).
if u thinjk vacation is a luxury try STRESS
Re: Taking A Vacation: Luxury Or Necessity? by tasiana(m): 11:56am On Jul 12, 2007
Necessity ooo,body no be wood .Vacation is not only when u travel overseas.Even if na to go village go chop fresh fruits drink palmwine with bush meat.Also breathe in fresh air not the toxicated air we breath in most urban areas. grin
Re: Taking A Vacation: Luxury Or Necessity? by Amigoz(f): 12:50pm On Jul 12, 2007
tasiana:

Necessity ooo,body no be wood .Vacation is not only when u travel overseas.Even if na to go village go chop fresh fruits drink palmwine with bush meat.Also breathe in fresh air not the toxicated air we breath in most urban areas. grin

I agree with you in every sense .

I remember when we were kids, my dad made it a duty to always take us to our hometown away from d boisterous city life at least once every quarter, even though we complain at the time, but our neighbours always comment when we come back on how well we were looking. 

As an adult now I make it a point to always go away at least 2 times a year for de-stressing.  It is certainly good and refreshing for the body & soul and would always recommend it.
Re: Taking A Vacation: Luxury Or Necessity? by dumi(f): 11:24am On Jul 13, 2007
cool[color=#990000][/color][b][/b]LIKE THE KIND OF PLACE IN MY MOTHERS VILLAGE IN DELTA STATE WHICH IS OLONA RANCH,ONICHA-OLONA VILLAGE,ANIOCHA-SOUTH L.G.A.ITS A GOOD PLACE TO BE DURING VACATION OR HOLIDAY WHICH IS NECESSARY NOT TO ONLY THE RICH ALONE BUT IS ALSO FOR THE POOR TOO.IS JUST ONCE IN A WHILE TO CHANGE ENVIRONMENT TO SOME EHERE SPECIAL FOR ENJOYMENT WITH YOUR FAMILY OR YOUR SPOUSE,EVEN PARENTS.
Re: Taking A Vacation: Luxury Or Necessity? by hola2ng(m): 2:51pm On Jul 14, 2007
Re: Taking A Vacation: Luxury Or Necessity? by otokx(m): 1:15pm On Jul 15, 2007
an absolute necessity and its really not expensive.
Re: Taking A Vacation: Luxury Or Necessity? by Nobody: 2:54pm On Jul 15, 2007
@ topic
i would say necessity, most people look older than their age because they dont give themselves vacation. even if its for a weekend away from the city cos some people get to work during the weekend. Everybody deserves vacation from work. God also rested
Re: Taking A Vacation: Luxury Or Necessity? by blakky: 8:56pm On Jul 16, 2007
taking a vacation is a Necessity?
am of the opinon that vacation is a necessity not a luxury,but many of us brefer making more money than vacation the elders has a saying that says[ ou ti eye baje loma gbe fo]is better to enjoy you life than other people who do not know what you went through before getting your money to spend it on your behave.please make a promise toyourseif that this year you will go for a vacation and relax.
learn to enjoy yourself!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thank you,and see you in OBUDU CATTLE RANGE!
Re: Taking A Vacation: Luxury Or Necessity? by Prince22(m): 3:07am On Jul 17, 2007
The cruked employers will never allow u to go on vacation eventhough u love go why because i take home can never take us home again.

What would one rely o when you are going on vacation. 'HUNGER' lol!!!
Re: Taking A Vacation: Luxury Or Necessity? by Everbright(f): 12:43pm On Jul 17, 2007
necessary necessity cool
Re: Taking A Vacation: Luxury Or Necessity? by mekoyo(m): 6:18pm On Jul 17, 2007
Taking a vacation is not luxury. Our body needs some rest after work, we need to cool down somewhere. It may not necessarily result to travelling to the caribbean island or jumping frtom one country to another no cause that is when it becomes luxury. But it involves a period of finding a suitable place to relax, enjoy yourself and rest from all the stress you've gone through.

Vacation is a very nice thing if only we Nigerians can adapt to it and leave a happy and enjoyable life.

So therefore vacation is not luxury but it's something our body needs for good health reasons.
Re: Taking A Vacation: Luxury Or Necessity? by temmyabby(f): 7:02pm On Jul 17, 2007
I second that, dont ve to travel far away to ve a vacation
Re: Taking A Vacation: Luxury Or Necessity? by bimbliss(f): 7:27pm On Jul 18, 2007
amigoz ur reply was a great one
nigerians dont know the maening of vacation so they think its all about a spend hell of money thing
pease lets spread the gospel
all work and no play makes jack a dull boy
u can enjoy a break any where near u ok

(1) (2) (Reply)

Internship Connect: Looking For Graduates / Please Advice, I Have #900k, What Type Of Business Should I Invest In? / CONFIRMED: Pharm. D Degree Approved In Nigeria By NUC-PSN President

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.