Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,177,414 members, 7,901,149 topics. Date: Friday, 26 July 2024 at 02:13 AM

Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) - Agriculture (45) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) (976136 Views)

Cultivating Cucumber - A Blog / Starting A Plantain Farming. / We Help People Set Up A Poultry Farm, We Also Give Imformation On Poultry Busi' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (42) (43) (44) (45) (46) (47) (48) ... (280) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jamp: 10:50pm On Oct 02, 2013
abbeybanks: Hi everyone, plz how often is it recommended to change woodshavings? i normally change mine every 3days, the chickz are 3weekz and 2 days. i ran into someone today the person recommends i allow the woodshavings to stay for over 2 weeks even as maggot starts coming out from their droppings and the chicks eating them provided its not wet.

I came across this thread about august 22nd 2013 and i took my time to go through comments by NLders. so i will appreciate y'all advice n commentz

thanks

Once the wood shaving is bad pls change it or else it will cause or give ur birs coccidiosis, from my exp
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Idango(m): 11:34pm On Oct 02, 2013
Hello guys somebody in my farm recommended i attend a course at animal care at ogere and i attended one today october 2nd and will conclude tomorrow 3rd. The number of participants is huge.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by condi1704(m): 9:49am On Oct 03, 2013
Idango: Hello guys somebody in my farm recommended i attend a course at animal care at ogere and i attended one today october 2nd and will conclude tomorrow 3rd. The number of participants is huge.
which time is the next one. I would like to attend.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Gidigidi3(m): 1:42pm On Oct 03, 2013
leverage12: I gave mine 3 days vitalite + glucose, and 3 days admacine + glucose for the first 30 days. All the best

The vitalite and admacine you gave them was it in combination with vaccine or not? Are they available in our pharmacies? What is the observed growth rate due to your solution? Will like to know more because mine will arrive soon.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by samshoz(m): 4:13pm On Oct 03, 2013
abbeybanks: Hi everyone, plz how often is it recommended to change woodshavings? i normally change mine every 3days, the chickz are 3weekz and 2 days. i ran into someone today the person recommends i allow the woodshavings to stay for over 2 weeks even as maggot starts coming out from their droppings and the chicks eating them provided its not wet.

I came across this thread about august 22nd 2013 and i took my time to go through comments by NLders. so i will appreciate y'all advice n commentz

thanks
change it weekly or evry 2wks. It depends on how soon it cakes or begins to stinks.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by magnetik(m): 7:44pm On Oct 03, 2013
fnk:
Sorry guys, I am coming, our first birds will be delivered on Wednesday, I will post pix later.

Hi Fnk... Can you please send your poultry analysis report to my E mail. graveetee@yahoo.ca
Many thanks as i await you mail.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Gozychuks(m): 11:16pm On Oct 03, 2013
fnk:

@Gozychuks, Just running the numbers starting from today on the about 100kg feed/week, you would have spent about N100,000 on your 100 birds just on feeds by the second week of December, And that will mean an addition N1,000 expense per bird, my question now is that how much are you going to sell the bird to cover your cost and who is going to buy?
If you stock a new day old this week, you will still have fully grown 2.5kg or 3kg by december. So are you making a mistake? Yes you are making a big mistake which could discourage you or those around you from going into this business. As far as I am concern, if your birds stay more than 8 weeks, in your care, diminishing return will set in.

Yea ur right. I was ill advised. I hv some turkeys. I actually bought those broilers after losing some of my turkeys. I now hv 22 turkeys left, I lost 13 they are 5 months plus now. I tot I could mk up frm broilers. Both d turkeys consume 100kg(cumulative) of feed cos I give them d same feed for now
Tmex: what u re about doing is like throwing your hard earned money inside the lagoon and that's exactly wot it is because ur broilers don't just continue grown till eternity any feed given to broilers after 12 weeks is a big waste of resources because at ds level the broiler converts feeds into fats and hence a low return on your investment .so I advise that u sell off the birds and stock another fo december
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by secnelly: 9:26am On Oct 04, 2013
Greetings fellow nls.
Pls, what is the minimum feed requirement per bird per kg per day/week for:
1) 1 week old
2) 2 weeks
3) 3-4 weeks
4) 5-6 weeks
5) 7-8weeks and above
all broilers.
Thanks
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by leverage12(m): 11:00am On Oct 04, 2013
Gidigidi3:

The vitalite and admacine you gave them was it in combination with vaccine or not? Are they available in our pharmacies? What is the observed growth rate due to your solution? Will like to know more because mine will arrive soon.
Actually I buy all my drugs at Enugu Ezike where I get my feeds from. As for the mixing of the vitalite etc, I use the back of table spoon. Lets say you have 5 drinkers for your birds with 4 litres each, you will put 2 back of table spoon vitalite and 2 back of table spoon glucose for each drinker for 3 day. The 4th day you continue with the same measurement but you will be mixing admacine and glucose for the next 3 days. In terms of giving them vaccine, we stop their drinker from about 7pm in the evening to the following day of their vaccine which is mixed with water alone without vitalite, glucose or admaccine.Cheers

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by nairacodedcom(m): 12:10pm On Oct 04, 2013
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by abbeybanks(m): 8:52pm On Oct 06, 2013
how many "light hours" per day is recommended for broilers? advice plz
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by somafol: 3:11pm On Oct 07, 2013
Please can someone shed more light on lightening program for layers?

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by leverage12(m): 10:58pm On Oct 07, 2013
abbeybanks: how many "light hours" per day is recommended for broilers? advice plz
my advice is that for the first 30 days give the both light and heat. In the day time there might be no need of light because of sun but don't joke with their heat and make make sure you give them light in the night and 24 hours heat in the night and day time. After 30 days you might decide to only feed them day time and you dont need light since the sun will serve as light. Cheers

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by abbeybanks(m): 9:54am On Oct 08, 2013
leverage12: my advice is that for the first 30 days give the both light and heat. In the day time there might be no need of light because of sun but don't joke with their heat and make make sure you give them light in the night and 24 hours heat in the night and day time. After 30 days you might decide to only feed them day time and you dont need light since the sun will serve as light. Cheers

Thanks for the info @ leverage12. I stop the heat on their 3rd week, they are 4 wks old today(8-10-13). the windows are still sealed, so the room is still dark regardless of sunshine and ventilation is only through the door. Thats why im concern about "light hour" per day for the broilers.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by magnetik(m): 9:00pm On Oct 08, 2013
magnetik:
Hi Fnk... Can you please send your poultry analysis report to my E mail. graveetee@yahoo.ca
Many thanks as i await you mail.
Thanks Fnk I got it.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Idango(m): 11:13pm On Oct 08, 2013
condi1704: which time is the next one. I would like to attend.

If you are interested in the animal care poultry course call or send email to the guy below, he will confirm the date of the next course :

Oluwole Oparinde

Extension Services

Animal Care Services Konsult (Nig) Ltd

Iperu Ogere road, Off Lagos-Ibadan Exp.Way

Ogere Remo Ogun State.
Mobile: +2348056290343
ooparinde@animalcare-ng.com
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by fnk: 2:59pm On Oct 09, 2013
magnetik:
Thanks Fnk I got it.

Hope it gives you the guide that you need.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Gozychuks(m): 7:18pm On Oct 09, 2013
How much is the selling prize for a full grown/mature Turkey. Both male n female
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by samshoz(m): 5:23am On Oct 10, 2013
What can i give to 2weeks old cockerels that has blood in their poop?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jamp: 7:36am On Oct 10, 2013
samshoz: What can i give to 2weeks old cockerels that has blood in their poop?

that is sign of coccidiosis. give them PROCOCC or Diclaz.

do that fast before they start dying. administer it for 3-5 days

do not forget to change the litters

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by samshoz(m): 9:24am On Oct 10, 2013
jamp:

that is sign of coccidiosis. give them PROCOCC or Diclaz.

do that fast before they start dying. administer it for 3-5 days

do not forget to change the litters
Tanx bro, will do right away. I wonder how this happened, despite my preventive administering of anti cocci. Is there any difference between prococ or anti cocci?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jamp: 4:02pm On Oct 10, 2013
samshoz: Tanx bro, will do right away. I wonder how this happened, despite my preventive administering of anti cocci. Is there any difference between prococ or anti cocci?

I tink they are d same but one is stronger than the other. The first time I had d case I administered proccoc but the next one we had the vet adviced we give a stronger anti cocc (dicla z)
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by samshoz(m): 5:57pm On Oct 10, 2013
jamp:

I tink they are d same but one is stronger than the other. The first time I had d case I administered proccoc but the next one we had the vet adviced we give a stronger anti cocc (dicla z)
tanx again bro.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by secnelly: 5:26am On Oct 11, 2013
Greetings fellow nls.
Pls, what is the minimum feed requirement per bird per kg per day/week for:
1) 1 week old
2) 2 weeks
3) 3-4 weeks
4) 5-6 weeks
5) 7-8weeks and above
all broilers.
Thanks[/quote]
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by leverage12(m): 1:36pm On Oct 13, 2013
Please someone help, my chicken, some are sleepy, closing eyes, eyes swallen up, coughing and weak. Please what could be the cure for this, I lost 2 yesterday and dont want to lose more.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jamp: 5:53pm On Oct 13, 2013
leverage12: Please someone help, my chicken, some are sleepy, closing eyes, eyes swallen up, coughing and weak. Please what could be the cure for this, I lost 2 yesterday and dont want to lose more.

How old are they? Are they layers or broilers?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by leverage12(m): 9:45pm On Oct 13, 2013
jamp:

How old are they? Are they layers or broilers?
they are 3 Monnths and some days, they are broilers.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by miqos02(m): 5:56am On Oct 14, 2013
hello all, i asked someone to help me raise POL, i gave him 50% of the money, he said he was pronised oct 3rd for the day old, later he said they resheduled the date, could this be true?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Rzq4: 8:55am On Oct 14, 2013
Cocci is persistent truout d brooding stage to early rearing stage. D cycle neva stops and d chicks continue to pick d egg frm dia excreta. D birds gain immunity against cocci nt until de r abh 10 or 11wks old. So, its advisable to keep administerin anti-cocci truout ds period. Diff anti-cocci cld b used @ interval 4 d causative agent not to b resistible.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by urchpath(m): 6:59pm On Oct 15, 2013
fnk:

Hope it gives you the guide that you need.

Dear fnk. Pls Can you send me your poultry analysis report via my mailbox. Henrypatogbudu@gmail.com
Thanks a lot for the anticipated assistance.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by urchpath(m): 7:05pm On Oct 15, 2013
Idango:

We use top feed starter for now, we intend to mix our own feed in the coming weeks to reduce the cost.

Pls bro how do u intend to mix the feed?
Thanks
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Idango(m): 11:13pm On Oct 15, 2013
My brooding was successful, the birds were 4 weeks old yesterday,
Broilers: we started with 610, we lost 9 we have 601 now.
LayerS : We started with 611. lost 2 now have 609.

(1) (2) (3) ... (42) (43) (44) (45) (46) (47) (48) ... (280) (Reply)

Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.