Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,765 members, 7,889,461 topics. Date: Sunday, 14 July 2024 at 12:52 PM

Nigerian Governors Must Give More Leadership Positions To Women – Okonjo- Iweala - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Governors Must Give More Leadership Positions To Women – Okonjo- Iweala (520 Views)

Akeredolu Rubbishes APC Zoning Of 10th NASS Leadership Positions / 2023 Presidency: Southern Governors Must Stand Firm Against Tyranny - Afenifere / El-Rufai Kicks Against Zoning Of Leadership Positions, Says 'It's Absurd' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Governors Must Give More Leadership Positions To Women – Okonjo- Iweala by bolaayenimo: 6:56pm On Feb 17, 2021
By John Dads

Newly-appointed Director-General of the World Trade Organisation (WTO), Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala has thrown a challenge to Nigerian governors to give more leadership positions to women in the country.

The former Minister of Finance stated this an interview session anchored by Lagos State Governor, Mr. Babajide Sanwo-Olu, during the 8th Lagos Economic Summit, otherwise known as Ehingbeti, in Lagos on Tuesday.

While commending Lagos state for its leading role in women empowerment, she said women cannot be empowered unless the men agreed to do so.

“Your Excellency, I will start with you and ask you, how many leadership jobs are you going to open up for women? I know Lagos State has done very well, you have had female deputy governors, you have many female commissioners, you have excellent captains of industries who are women like my sister, Ibukun Awosika, the WIMBIZ women and many other women”.

“I am very proud of them but I want you to talk to the other governors on how you are going to open up leadership positions for women because we cannot be empowered unless the men agree to empower us. Similarly for our youths, we can’t make road unless we all together create the opportunities for them to lead”.

In his response, Sanwo-Olu who highlighted what his government has done so far in terms of offering leadership positions to women said the state will continue to play a leading role in that aspect.

“Thank You Madam. I will just tell you that this is very critical for us in Lagos and I dare say that we are humbled that in our cabinet, we have 35 per cent women; we have about 65 per cent women among our Permanent Secretaries; our judges, we have about 60 to 65 per cent that are women”.

“In all of the critical arms in Lagos State, there are more women but we still want to do more. Women head the three critical ministries or agencies in Lagos today. A woman is the head of Works and Infrastructure, a woman is the head of LAMATA and the head of the renewal and rebuild agency”.

“We are doing great but we also want to do more. We know that there are a lot of other opportunities that we can bring forward for our youths and women”.

“I want to assure you that Lagos will continue to take a lead on this and we are truly excited that you have actually written a book and I want say to you that you got a great fan here that are not only women but men as well. I want to use this opportunity to say to you that we wish you all the very best on this new global stage that you are” Sanwo-Olu said.
http://worldafrica.com.ng/2021/02/17/nigerian-governors-must-open-up-leadership-positions-for-women-okonjo-iweala/

Re: Nigerian Governors Must Give More Leadership Positions To Women – Okonjo- Iweala by Cpossibility(m): 6:58pm On Feb 17, 2021
wink
Re: Nigerian Governors Must Give More Leadership Positions To Women – Okonjo- Iweala by budaatum: 7:03pm On Feb 17, 2021
Women should not wait to be given.

We should rise up and take what we want!

budaatum:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drGx7JkFSp4

Now there was a time
When they used to say
That behind every great man
There had to be a great woman
But in these times of change
You know that it's no longer true
So we're comin' out of the kitchen
'Cause there's somethin' we forgot to say to you, we say
Sisters are doin' it for themselves
Standin' on their own two feet
And ringin' on their own bells, we say
Sisters are doin' it for themselves
Now this is a song
To celebrate
The conscious liberation
Of the female state
Mothers, daughters
And their daughters too
Woman to woman
We're singin' with you
The inferior sex, has
Got a new exterior, yeah
We got doctors
Lawyers, politicians too
Everybody take a look around
Can you see, can you see
Can you see there's a woman
Right next to you, we say
Sisters are doin' it for…
Re: Nigerian Governors Must Give More Leadership Positions To Women – Okonjo- Iweala by osamz007: 7:16pm On Feb 17, 2021
NOT WOMEN LIKE ZZOR THEY'LL TAKE OVER FROM LAURETTE
Re: Nigerian Governors Must Give More Leadership Positions To Women – Okonjo- Iweala by nairavsdollars(f): 7:18pm On Feb 17, 2021
Northern governors most especially
Re: Nigerian Governors Must Give More Leadership Positions To Women – Okonjo- Iweala by orisa37: 7:42pm On Feb 17, 2021
They sell all our Tomatoes in the Market and that is part of world trade.
Re: Nigerian Governors Must Give More Leadership Positions To Women – Okonjo- Iweala by DontCough: 7:46pm On Feb 17, 2021
orisa37:
They sell all our Tomatoes in the Market and that is part of world trade.

Re: Nigerian Governors Must Give More Leadership Positions To Women – Okonjo- Iweala by DontCough: 7:49pm On Feb 17, 2021
We should all give our children the best of trainings and upbringings
As the world goes, we never can tell what the future holds. Keep your generation in the direction of fast forwardness.
Re: Nigerian Governors Must Give More Leadership Positions To Women – Okonjo- Iweala by JaneYave(f): 8:14pm On Feb 17, 2021
Women have to brace up too. They should curtail extravagant lifestyles if given too.
Re: Nigerian Governors Must Give More Leadership Positions To Women – Okonjo- Iweala by bolaayenimo: 8:59pm On Feb 17, 2021
not all women ooo. Lauretta
JaneYave:
Women have to brace up too. They should curtail extravagant lifestyles if given too.
Re: Nigerian Governors Must Give More Leadership Positions To Women – Okonjo- Iweala by orisa37: 6:12am On Feb 18, 2021
[quote author=DontCough post=99168773][/quote]

How will OKONJO market that?
Re: Nigerian Governors Must Give More Leadership Positions To Women – Okonjo- Iweala by orisa37: 6:14am On Feb 18, 2021
[quote author=DontCough post=99168773][/quote]

How will OKONJO market that? And also TRADE IT?

(1) (Reply)

Photo: The Ongoing Anambra International Airport Will Be An World Standard - DG / How True Is This? / The Reasons Why Diaspora More Serious About Advocating For Yoruba Nation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.