Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,424 members, 7,888,315 topics. Date: Saturday, 13 July 2024 at 02:41 AM

Nigeria Must Restructure Or Face Disastrous Break-up –utomi, Others - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Must Restructure Or Face Disastrous Break-up –utomi, Others (552 Views)

Falana, Utomi Others Set To Unveil New Political Movement On October 1st / Mid Term Report : Utomi, Others Rate Sanwo-Olu's Administration High / Gov. Sanwo-olu, Prof Pat Utomi, Others To Headline Ajegunle Economic Summit (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Must Restructure Or Face Disastrous Break-up –utomi, Others by valentineuwakwe(m): 11:33am On Feb 21, 2021
Prominent stakeholders from various ethnic groups in the North and the South have decried the security situation in the country, describing Nigeria as a failing state or an already failed nation .
The leaders, including a foremost economist , Prof. Pat Utomi ; former Deputy Governor of Central Bank of Nigeria, Dr . Mailafia Obadiah, who contested the 2019 presidential election on the platform of the African Democratic Congress ; Senator Bassey Henshaw ; Niger- Delta activist , Ann- Kio Briggs ; Yemi Adamolekun, among others, said Nigeria should be restructured.
They were unanimous that the situation would be very disastrous if Nigeria was allowed to break without restructuring it.
They spoke at the second Goke Omisore Annual Lecture organised by the Voice of Reason , a Yoruba intelligentsia group .

This was contained in a statement on Saturday.
Other dignitaries who attended the lecture were Chairman of the Nigerian Tribune Titles, Chief Mrs Tokunbo Awolowo – Dosunmu; former Foreign Affairs Minister, Prof. Bolaji Akinyemi; Dr. Seyi Roberts; former Lagos State Commissioner for Commerce and Industry , Lanre Towry- Coker ; widow of late Goke Omisore, Olamide; Mr Emeka Ugwu -Oju; and Dr. Akin Fapohunda , among others.
The speakers also argued that the country was not fair to the youths, saying there was no encouragement for the youths, while the political elite were scuttling the dreams and aspirations of the younger generation.

The statement read in part, “ Speakers unanimously agreed that impunity , lawlessness, anarchy and subjugation of the younger generation currently reigns supreme in Nigeria.
“ They suggested that if the political , economic and social structures of the country are not restructured in line with the current realities in the country , Nigeria as a sovereign country should be terminated peacefully because if not ended now , there’ s a higher tendency that the country would terminate herself and if that happens, it would lead to a gargantuan disaster. ”

Briggs said her generation had failed to give what the youths of Nigeria wanted, and as such , it was unfair to be calling on them to fix and salvage the country.

Adamolekun challenged the Director -General of the Development Agenda for Western Nigeria , Mr Seye Olaleye , who was present at the lecture , to ensure that members of the Western Nigeria Security Agency popularly known as Amotekun are deployed in every nook and cranny of Yorubaland to protect lives.

She advised South-West governors that although the Nigerian constitution guarantees that citizens could move from one place to another, no law stops them from enacting a law to mandate all visitors in their states to register.

Utomi said he agreed with other speakers on the state of the nation. He, however, suggested that the younger generation needed to be mentored by radical elders like Farotimi to be able to challenge the status quo.

He said, “I agree with all the speakers. I just want to add that the younger ones need to be mentored to be able to challenge the status quo. The rich class are united against the common people, therefore, the younger generation should be united to wage war against the status quo.”

The Chairman, VOR, Dr Olufemi Adegoke, had earlier in his opening remark decried the way the country was being run by its leaders, saying it was one of the reasons the group had made restructuring the focus of its activities.    ,,

source: https://punchng.com/nigeria-must-restructure-or-face-disastrous-break-up-utomi-others/

Re: Nigeria Must Restructure Or Face Disastrous Break-up –utomi, Others by Rugaria: 11:35am On Feb 21, 2021
They're starting to wake up..
Folks like Utomi and co made it look like this is even remotely workable. In the process the gross abuse of governance and open attempt at domination by the North were all excused. It's that inability of the southern elite, together with the leaders of the oppressed northern minorities to call a spade a spade that brought this country to this sorry state of affairs.. If every part of the country was made aware that the country can only be governed based on certain civilised principles and brutal regimes collectively confronted in the past, we won't here today, dealing with eternal nuisance like Buhari....
Re: Nigeria Must Restructure Or Face Disastrous Break-up –utomi, Others by Nobody: 11:47am On Feb 21, 2021
So far no one has been able to tell me what restructuring.means other than "The South gets all the oil money while the North can go rely on agriculture "

Which sets the stage for a huge tribal conflict about who controls the resources

Nigeria's problem is not restructuring. Our problem is that we think our abundant resources makes us a rich nation plus we think we can make a living by just selling the resources.

That's not how rich nations roll.

If we don't get rid of that attitude of ours, restructuring is a one way trip to anarchy.

And i am saying this not because i am an apc or buhari supporter. (I Dont back pdp or apc, and i refused to vote for buhari because he was being promoted as a saviour and Nigeria does not need a saviour unless we want to go back to one man rule )

I am saying this because i am a realist and because the only countries i know that separated peacefully did so because they were economies based on what they could make with their hands not resources they could sell .
Re: Nigeria Must Restructure Or Face Disastrous Break-up –utomi, Others by Nobody: 11:50am On Feb 21, 2021
Whenever they see microphones in their hands they will begin to talk rubbish..

Bring them over, they forgot what they are saying...

Prof Utomi should go and enjoy his old age...

So much noise all the time
Re: Nigeria Must Restructure Or Face Disastrous Break-up –utomi, Others by festacman(m): 12:00pm On Feb 21, 2021
Ok
Re: Nigeria Must Restructure Or Face Disastrous Break-up –utomi, Others by habsydiamond(m): 12:21pm On Feb 21, 2021
Where una dey since wey everything don almost collapse finish una come dey come out of una hole... Make una tell Oga at the top that if he no quick take action to return peace to this country, Nigeria go divide for him head ooo... I rest my case
Re: Nigeria Must Restructure Or Face Disastrous Break-up –utomi, Others by omoharry(f): 12:29pm On Feb 21, 2021
Godarz:
So far no one has been able to tell me what restructuring.means other than "The South gets all the oil money while the North can go rely on agriculture "

Which sets the stage for a huge tribal conflict about who controls the resources

Nigeria's problem is not restructuring. Our problem is that we think our abundant resources makes us a rich nation plus we think we can make a living by just selling the resources.

That's not how rich nations roll.

If we don't get rid of that attitude of ours, restructuring is a one way trip to anarchy.

And i am saying this not because i am an apc or buhari supporter. (I Dont back pdp or apc, and i refused to vote for buhari because he was being promoted as a saviour and Nigeria does not need a saviour unless we want to go back to one man rule )

I am saying this because i am a realist and because the only countries i know that separated peacefully did so because they were economies based on what they could make with their hands not resources they could sell .
You reason like our daft northern politician ..How can you say you don't know what restructuring is ? Why don't you stop being lazy and read up the various national conferences that have been held in order to bring a lasting solution to Nigerias problem .

How can you Say the only thing that northerners have is just agriculture ? What about the various natural resources, like the various mineral &precious stones underneat their ground ? What about gold underneat thier ground? What about the rich soil of the diverse land in the north that is enough to feed the whole country and can be exported as well ? What about the more than enough man power to drive thier economy ? What about tourism? Considering the natural, beautiful enviroment that is endowed with beautiful rocks , mountains , water falls , animal conservation with various tourist attraction that the north is endowed with ? Do you know how much tourism alone bring to a nation not to talk of just a region?

You guys just like to sit around & do nothing .Then only think of how to lazily get free money from Abuja every month, due to the oil from the Niger Delta, which is barely enough to go round .
Can't you people think beyond oil? Our leaders are all mentally lazy, that is why they have choose the status quo, becos it afford them to be lazy and collect free money, which they can embezzle without being question .
Pls try & think outside the box and don't be like our leaders that are mentally lazy. There is no region that will go hungry if we restructure Nigeria .
The North on the other hand, would be the richest region when restructured .This can happen if only they put thier brain to work by educating thier people and empowering them to start thinking outside thier small word of begging and sitting idle and waiting for free money from the rich .

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Must Restructure Or Face Disastrous Break-up –utomi, Others by Nobody: 12:33pm On Feb 21, 2021
omoharry:
You reason like our daft northern politician ..How can you say you don't know what restructuring is ? Why don't you stop being lazy and read up the various national conferences that have been held in order to bring a lasting solution to Nigerias problem .

How can you Say the only thing that northerners have is just agriculture ? What about the various natural resources, like the various mineral &precious stones underneat their ground ? What about gold underneat thier ground? What about the rich soil of the diverse land in the north that is enough to feed the whole country and can be exported as well ? What about the more than enough man power to drive thier economy ? What about tourism? Considering the natural, beautiful enviroment that is endowed with beautiful rocks , mountains , water falls , animal conservation with various tourist attraction that the north is endowed with ? Do you know how much tourism alone bring to a nation not to talk of just a region?

You guys just like to sit around & do nothing .Then only think of how to lazily get free money from Abuja every month, due to the oil from the Niger Delta, which is barely enough to go round .
Can't you people think beyond oil? Our leaders are all mentally lazy, that is why they have choose the status quo, becos it afford them to be lazy and collect free money, which they can embezzle without being question .
Pls try & think outside the box and don't be like our leaders that are mentally lazy. There is no region that will go hungry if we restructure Nigeria .
The North on the other hand, would be the richest region when restructured .This can happen if only they put thier brain to work by educating thier people and empowering them to start thinking outside thier small word of begging and sitting idle and waiting for free money from the rich .

Personally i think that the only way Nigeria can progress is simply by using our resources to fire up industrial development so that we can sell industrial products globally

That would put us on the path to peaceful restructuring in my mind.

Not the restructuring where we would end up arguing over who controls resources

Good afternoon.

By the way why did you insult me? I did not insult you. I see no reason why you should call me daft.

Thanks
Re: Nigeria Must Restructure Or Face Disastrous Break-up –utomi, Others by omoharry(f): 12:40pm On Feb 21, 2021
Godarz:

Personally i think that the only way Nigeria can progress is simply by using our resources to fire up industrial development so that we can sell industrial products globally

That would put us on the path to peaceful restructuring in my mind.

Not the restructuring where we would end up arguing over who controls resources

Good afternoon.

By the way why did you insult me? I did not insult you. I see no reason why you should call me daft.

Thanks
I apologize for that .No vex .
I usually get upset when people use that northern phrase that they don't understand what restructuring is" meanwhile it's just a way for them to keeping enjoying this evil status quo .
Re: Nigeria Must Restructure Or Face Disastrous Break-up –utomi, Others by Nobody: 12:45pm On Feb 21, 2021
omoharry:
I apologize for that .No vex .
I usually get upset when people use that northern phrase that they don't understand what restructuring is" meanwhile it's just a way for them to keeping enjoying this evil status quo .

No problem.

I can accept restructuring if it leads to everyone becoming more productive and industrial

Not everyone finding and selling raw materials because as selling oil has taught us, we are not the ones controlling the prices...be it cocoa palm oil and minerals.Once prices fall we all get broke
Re: Nigeria Must Restructure Or Face Disastrous Break-up –utomi, Others by simplePOS: 1:06pm On Feb 21, 2021
we need peace
Re: Nigeria Must Restructure Or Face Disastrous Break-up –utomi, Others by omoharry(f): 1:51pm On Feb 21, 2021
Godarz:

No problem.

I can accept restructuring if it leads to everyone becoming more productive and industrial

Not everyone finding and selling raw materials because as selling oil has taught us, we are not the ones controlling the prices...be it cocoa palm oil and minerals.Once prices fall we all get broke
True.

(1) (Reply)

Kidnapping Of School Children Also Happens In US - Lai Mohammed / Stop Referring To Africans In Cultural Clothing As Herbalists ~ Omoyele Sowore. / Now Is Opportunity To Increase A New Tribe Of Nigerians, Says Osinbajo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.