Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,839 members, 7,882,955 topics. Date: Sunday, 07 July 2024 at 07:30 PM

Why Do Banks Issue ATM Cards without Customer's Consent? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Why Do Banks Issue ATM Cards without Customer's Consent? (794 Views)

Banks Issue, Reject Deposits Of Old Notes By Customers / Do Banks Accept Prepaid Electric Bill Slip? / The Pressing Issue Of Retained Atm Cards. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Banks Issue ATM Cards without Customer's Consent? by Adakintroy: 4:11pm On Feb 26, 2021
So Some few months back I started saving for a project with gtb. I Had purposely refuse to collect an ATM card. Because I do not want to make any forced withdrawal for any reason.

When I finally decide to start making the withdraws, I went to one of their branch. (At Mile 12) to do the atm card fresh.

I was told I already had an atm card prepared for me. I asked them if I was debited for it since I knew they usually do so.? They told me yes.

I needed the atm. But I had two problem.

#1, the said atm was done without my permission and was in warri. ( That was were I opened the account). But am in Lagos now.

#2. They went ahead to debite my money for a card they did not request my permission.

I was not angry but I was so angry. How easy it is for this people to temper with ones hard earn money. It's not about the 1k they took, it's about the ease in which they can just take money from ones account.

I actually tried to get an explanation from the staff attending and what he said baffled me.
.he said if they sent a request text for atm.and u did not reply, it implies consent of sought.

I was over heel furious . How is me not replying a message translate to "go ahead"?

Maybe there is something am not understanding here. If you've ever had such experience pls school me. Cus I don't understand this Nigerian bankers sometimes .
Re: Why Do Banks Issue ATM Cards without Customer's Consent? by anitabella: 4:23pm On Feb 26, 2021
Bro... I think this is their policy in terms of ATM issue... Once they notice you have money in that said account... They remove the charges (1k) from it with or without ur permission. Maybe it's in one of their terms and conditions when collecting ATM.

In fact mine got expired December last year... Every since then they have sent me series of text and messages telling me that my ATM card is ready for pickup. They know I don't have any money in the account yet so when ever I decide to go collect my ATM card I will hold 1k for it... But until then dem go wait tire.
Re: Why Do Banks Issue ATM Cards without Customer's Consent? by Adakintroy: 5:04pm On Feb 26, 2021
anitabella:
Bro... I think this is their policy in terms of ATM issue... Once they notice you have money in that said account... They remove the charges (1k) from it with or without ur permission. Maybe it's in one of their terms and conditions when collecting ATM.

In fact mine got expired December last year... Every since then they have sent me series of text and messages telling me that my ATM card is ready for pickup. They know I don't have any money in the account yet so when ever I decide to go collect my ATM card I will hold 1k for it... But until then dem go wait tire.

But that don't make sense. It may be your policy but it's also my money.

Their is something called consensus

1 Like

Re: Why Do Banks Issue ATM Cards without Customer's Consent? by deepwater(f): 4:13pm On Jun 20, 2021
Calm down
99/100 silence means consent.
anitabella:

1 Like

Re: Why Do Banks Issue ATM Cards without Customer's Consent? by Krak(m): 8:25pm On Jun 20, 2021
deepwater:
Calm down
99/100 silence means consent.

It is a very wrong and flawed policy. Anyone that needs an ATM should be able to walk into the bank and demand for one. Not demanding for an ATM by a customer should normally be interpreted as the customer saying that he does not need one for now.
Re: Why Do Banks Issue ATM Cards without Customer's Consent? by Zankut: 9:23pm On Jun 20, 2021
This is very peculiar to GTbank. The annoying part is the ATM card is renewed where your account was opened even when you notify them of a change of address, you then have to pay another fee to get a new card at a different branch.
I opened my account in the north but now I'm in the west and when my card expires, they automatically deduct a fee and tell me it's ready for pickup in the north. I'd have to pay the same fee again to get a new one at my present location.

(1) (Reply)

How To Market Your Business By Using Social Media / Why Is Ben 10’s Logo On ₦1000 Note? / I Am Selling My YOUTUBE CHANNEL With Over 200 Videos Content- Giveaway Price

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.