Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,984 members, 7,873,167 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 09:05 AM

Hello Cars Experts In The House, Please I Need Your Help - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Hello Cars Experts In The House, Please I Need Your Help (619 Views)

Driving Experts, What Will You Do In This Situation? (pic) / Car Owners And Experts Can You Tell If A Vehicle Had Accident In The Past? / Want To Buy A Car, Experts Should Advice Me Pls. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Hello Cars Experts In The House, Please I Need Your Help by chiyade: 10:50pm On Feb 27, 2021
Hello Cars Experts in the House, Please I Need Your Help

First, I must state that I am a complete novice when it comes to car as I never owned or drove one before until recently

Due to family need, I took a loan and bought a Nigerian used Toyota Corolla, 2003 model through my in law who resides in the south-east. He certified the car to be in a good shape, and I trusted his judgement since he buys and sells cars.

A Few days ago, I visited a mechanic to address the unusual vibration of the car engine which happens whenever i start it. While checking the engine, he just mentioned casually that "they have worked on this before". I didn't pay enough attention to that statement because I was rushing back to work.

Subsequently, as i began to check the engine oil every morning, i discover that it keep decreasing little by little. I discussed this with a friend who advised me to "TOP" the oil and watch it over the week. I did that, but i discovered that the oil reduced again after some days

Five days ago, I noticed some smoke coming out of exhaust. This little smoke has gradually increased, though still not very obvious yet

Please, what should I do about this?

All the advice I am getting are scaring, seriously. Some say my engine is dead, some advised that I should just sell off the car. Some say i should go and get a new engine.

Please, have I come to a dead end? Is there anyway to rectify this?

I can not afford to take the option of buying a new engine because I am currently servicing the loan I took to buy the car

PLEASE, EXPERTS IN THE HOUSE, WHAT SHOULD I DO?

GAZZUZZ
cardoctor
Nurey
weyrepey
timifakay
kingreignn
Tetralogyfallot
Radautoworks
Diportivo
Heavenlybang
Re: Hello Cars Experts In The House, Please I Need Your Help by timifakay(m): 2:46am On Feb 28, 2021
Oil shortage and smoke mean the engine oil rings are going bad
Probably the reason for the sale of the car.
The options are to either rebuild the engine or replace the engine.
I recommend replacement as that's the more reliable option in this part of the world.
Re: Hello Cars Experts In The House, Please I Need Your Help by an0daGuy: 3:24am On Feb 28, 2021
Find a competent person to rebuild the engine for you since a change is too pricey. There are people who have the tools for it if you search well.

Also you can try to ask the former owner they’ve ever worked on the engine rings before (if he answers and says yes) then ask how long ago so you have a general idea of how long a ‘poor’ rebuild job can last if you mistakenly hired the wrong guy to do the job.
Re: Hello Cars Experts In The House, Please I Need Your Help by chiyade: 10:02am On Feb 28, 2021
an0daGuy:
Find a competent person to rebuild the engine for you since a change is too pricey. There are people who have the tools for it if you search well.

Also you can try to ask the former owner they’ve ever worked on the engine rings before (if he answers and says yes) then ask how long ago so you have a general idea of how long a ‘poor’ rebuild job can last if you mistakenly hired the wrong guy to do the job.
Thank you sir. The former owner is not a truthful person, I have tried asking him certain questions, but he has been evasive.

Please, concerning rebuilding of the engine, do you have a very capable hand you can recommend, even on this forum? I reside in Benin city.
Re: Hello Cars Experts In The House, Please I Need Your Help by an0daGuy: 10:04am On Feb 28, 2021
chiyade:

Thank you sir. The former owner is not a truthful person, I have tried asking him certain questions, but he has been evasive.

Please, concerning rebuilding of the engine, do you have a very capable hand you can recommend? I reside in Benin city.

I don’t know anyone in Benin who can help. You’d need to wait for more people to comment and maybe you’d get help
Re: Hello Cars Experts In The House, Please I Need Your Help by Kelvin30286063(m): 11:03am On Feb 28, 2021
chiyade:
Hello Cars Experts in the House, Please I Need Your Help

First, I must state that I am a complete novice when it comes to car as I never owned or drove one before until recently

Due to family need, I took a loan and bought a Nigerian used Toyota Corolla, 2003 model through my in law who resides in the south-east. He certified the car to be in a good shape, and I trusted his judgement since he buys and sells cars.

A Few days ago, I visited a mechanic to address the unusual vibration of the car engine which happens whenever i start it. While checking the engine, he just mentioned casually that "they have worked on this before". I didn't pay enough attention to that statement because I was rushing back to work.

Subsequently, as i began to check the engine oil every morning, i discover that it keep decreasing little by little. I discussed this with a friend who advised me to "TOP" the oil and watch it over the week. I did that, but i discovered that the oil reduced again after some days

Five days ago, I noticed some smoke coming out of exhaust. This little smoke has gradually increased, though still not very obvious yet

Please, what should I do about this?

All the advice I am getting are scaring, seriously. Some say my engine is dead, some advised that I should just sell off the car. Some say i should go and get a new engine.

Please, have I come to a dead end? Is there anyway to rectify this?

I can not afford to take the option of buying a new engine because I am currently servicing the loan I took to buy the car

PLEASE, EXPERTS IN THE HOUSE, WHAT SHOULD I DO?

GAZZUZZ
cardoctor
Nurey
weyrepey
timifakay
kingreignn
Tetralogyfallot
Radautoworks
Diportivo
Heavenlybang
Since you said the mechanic said dey don work the engine before. It's not advisable that you rebuild the engine again. My candid advice is you save up money and buy another engine cuz that will give you a lasting peace of mind.
You should contact some of the people you mentioned in that post when you're ready to buy a new engine so that you don't stumble twice over the same stone. I'd personally recommend GAZZUZZ but they are all great guys.
Re: Hello Cars Experts In The House, Please I Need Your Help by chiyade: 1:45pm On Feb 28, 2021
Kelvin30286063:

Since you said the mechanic said dey don work the engine before. It's not advisable that you rebuild the engine again. My candid advice is you save up money and buy another engine cuz that will give you a lasting peace of mind.
You should contact some of the people you mentioned in that post when you're ready to buy a new engine so that you don't stumble twice over the same stone. I'd personally recommend GAZZUZZ but they are all great guys.
Thanks for the advice sir. I was actually thinking along the path of working on the engine until I saw your comments. Does it mean that if an engine has been worked upon once, it better not to work on it again? What if I find a very good mechanic, is there any chance he can do a work that will give me some 2 to 3 years of peace of mind so I can save up for a new engine
Re: Hello Cars Experts In The House, Please I Need Your Help by Kelvin30286063(m): 5:36pm On Feb 28, 2021
chiyade:

Thanks for the advice sir. I was actually thinking along the path of working on the engine until I saw your comments. Does it mean that if an engine has been worked upon once, it better not to work on it again? What if I find a very good mechanic, is there any chance he can do a work that will give me some 2 to 3 years of peace of mind so I can save up for a new engine
If the engine have been ringed before and it's giving problems now, then it's a lost cause. Doesn't matter if the mechanic is good or not. It will eventually start smoking again after 5/6 months.
You can give it a try though but best bet is to get a new one.
Re: Hello Cars Experts In The House, Please I Need Your Help by sultaan(m): 4:11am On Mar 02, 2021
Another Toyota bankruptcy ba?

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

GAC Motor Reveals New Brand Slogan, ‘go And Change’ / 5 Cars From The 90's Worth Buying Now Before Prices Soar / Reg Pontiac Vibe 2005 Model Available

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.