Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,201,684 members, 7,979,301 topics. Date: Saturday, 19 October 2024 at 05:38 AM

What Is Your Best Advice For A First Time Mum? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / What Is Your Best Advice For A First Time Mum? (15694 Views)

What's The Best Advice On This Matter? / I Need A Best Advice On Which Of These Brands Of Chess Freezer To Buy. / I Want To Stop Womanizing (best Advice Needed) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is Your Best Advice For A First Time Mum? by code9(m): 6:00pm On Mar 02, 2021
Mind who you take advise from pertaining the health, safety and nurturing of your child, especially friends. Trust your own instincts and seek advise only from experienced and knowledgeable mother's.

Pray for you and your child always. Pray for God's wisdom and grace. Above all, love your self and love your child, there's no joy greater than the one you create for yourself through God almighty

6 Likes

Re: What Is Your Best Advice For A First Time Mum? by cPapaAjascO: 6:00pm On Mar 02, 2021
ignore ur husband !!!

1 Like

Re: What Is Your Best Advice For A First Time Mum? by Protein0: 6:01pm On Mar 02, 2021
pozehnani:
I'll start by tackling constipation in children.
If you notice a child can't poo due to hard stool, and he won't take veggies by mouth, pump him through the anus with some herbal solution ( I can't remember what it is called in English) to prevent pile from forced poo.

Then make sure he takes a lot of fruits specifically pawpaw and orange. You can juice and bottle it for them to take to school. That way they'll never suffer constipation.

As for how to get them to eat without being abusive or hard on them. Get some chewable multivitamins ( they are quite expensive). This will induce hunger and make them eat very well without being forced. Its also very good for their skin. A 250g size of the chewable multivitamins goes for like 30k upwards.
Alternatively, you can give normal multivitamins syrup.

Now, there are some children who defy this multivitamins and still won't eat. Just try to find out what what such a child likes and let him be having it pending when he begins to eat very well. Every child has what they like.

Never force a child to eat what he or she doesn't like.
Don’t you think giving multivitamin drugs is like “forcing” hunger on them. They were designed for those who couldn’t eat well, from illnesses, as supplements and to stimulate their appetite.

Thing is, most moms fail to discover what their kids like. Every child will definitely have what s/he likes when it comes to foods and it must not necessarily be those typical bulky foods and patterns.

Anything drug, no matter how little,definitely stretches the body to handle it compared to foods.

2 Likes

Re: What Is Your Best Advice For A First Time Mum? by adenike21273: 6:01pm On Mar 02, 2021
Do not neglect your first love which is your husband!

1 Like

Re: What Is Your Best Advice For A First Time Mum? by Liposure: 6:02pm On Mar 02, 2021
OldNairalander:
My only problem now is how to capture Sikirat waist.

All my kinetic and non- kinetics approach seems not to be working.

Someone give me clue please
try telekinesis
Re: What Is Your Best Advice For A First Time Mum? by Mummyfour(f): 6:03pm On Mar 02, 2021
My advice is don't take every advise to heart. Use your maternal instincts, it comes naturally.
Consult your doctor's or pediatrician as the case may be.
Science is evolving. The things I did 17 years ago for my son may not be applicable today.
Ladies that have not even missed their periods for a day will advise you. Be careful who you take advise from.
Thanks for technology nowadays. Read extensively. Buy foods that are affordable and nutritious to a baby's health.
Don't train up a child inorder to compete with the joneses.
Buy clothes you can afford and above all, pray day and night and prophesy positively into your child's life, so that everyday with him or her would be days of joy

6 Likes

Re: What Is Your Best Advice For A First Time Mum? by aleeyus(m): 6:10pm On Mar 02, 2021
DMerciful:
Do not neglect your first love which is your husband!
ifa slap u

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is Your Best Advice For A First Time Mum? by Litmus: 6:10pm On Mar 02, 2021
By any means you can, PC,TV, Phone etc, play cartoon vids for them that is in a foreign language to yours, also maths, programming language, biology or any discipline of your choice. Start straight away even while they are still unable to sit up unaided. You’ll find that they will - at the very least - develop a natural amplitude in whatever disciplines you continually expose them to while at this stage of life, i.e. (a few months old up until they are toddlers) be as relentless as you are able. This is how we grew a genius in our family, very high achieving, very bright teen at the moment that is drawing a lot of jealousy unfortunately from her peers since she started in year 7 in the Uk - equivalent to Nigeria's secondary school.

4 Likes

Re: What Is Your Best Advice For A First Time Mum? by Moneymagnet24(m): 6:16pm On Mar 02, 2021
That I should not rush life. What's mine will come eventually, lest I die young.
Re: What Is Your Best Advice For A First Time Mum? by Lovelyn451(f): 6:18pm On Mar 02, 2021
feed baby constantly so he/she doesn't loose apetite, avoid sugary foods for the sake of baby's breastmilk

5 Likes

Re: What Is Your Best Advice For A First Time Mum? by Aforxzy(f): 6:21pm On Mar 02, 2021
Motherhood is tasking and draining. Make good Use of every help you can get. Love and take good care of your child but dont forget to take very good care of yourself and your husband. Sleep and eat well also. You need to be strong and healthy to take good care of your child.

6 Likes

Re: What Is Your Best Advice For A First Time Mum? by MummyD2020(f): 6:23pm On Mar 02, 2021
BruncleZuma:
You need a steady source of physical and emotional support, because the post-partum depression be real as f*ck. Trust me I know some sh*t.

Thank God Nigerians are acknowledging this. Some people dont still believe there is post partum depression. I was a victim

5 Likes

Re: What Is Your Best Advice For A First Time Mum? by BruncleZuma: 6:25pm On Mar 02, 2021
MummyD2020:

Thank God Nigerians are acknowledging this. Some people dont still believe there is post partum depression. I was a victim
I've seen it eat up someone close to me and I'm glad I helped in a way. It's like taking care of a soldier with PTSD.

1 Like

Re: What Is Your Best Advice For A First Time Mum? by FatherCHRISTMAS(f): 6:28pm On Mar 02, 2021
Don't ever leave your baby with anyone... most especially when your spirit doesn't agree with it.

keep your baby away from hot items like iron, lanterns or candles.. better still keep away dangerous objects

5 Likes

Re: What Is Your Best Advice For A First Time Mum? by MummyD2020(f): 6:31pm On Mar 02, 2021
galantjoe:
For the first time mom. Follow this advice
1. Use exclusive breastfeeding. It is cheaper and healty. For that 6 months, no hospital for your kid except vaccination or immunization. You will also spend little. But please feed yourself very well.
2. Use pampers. It is cheaper and healthier.
3. Use traditional method for many child early health care like jaundice, beriberi, removal of tongue string, etc. I don't need to mention them because most of them they don't English names.
4. Protect your child from witches and wizards. By keeping anti witch items or cream around your child.
5. Always take your child to hospital or health centre for any health issues. Never buy child syrup from pharmacist without health practitioner prescription untill he or she is 6months or more
6. Always involve your mom or elder woman who has child caring experience
7 Good luck

Number 4 is misleading. What happens to prayers and faith?

2 Likes

Re: What Is Your Best Advice For A First Time Mum? by galantjoe(m): 6:38pm On Mar 02, 2021
MummyD2020:

Number 4 is misleading. What happens to prayers and faith?

That is what I used when I had my first child. Yes, prayer is very powerful but spiritual ointments and sacramentals are still important.

As you know that witches and wizards don't like silver and cross. So make those things near where you keep your child.

2 Likes

Re: What Is Your Best Advice For A First Time Mum? by Druss(m): 6:43pm On Mar 02, 2021
Do not buy plenty clothes just 3 to 5 for the baby. They grow fast.

4 Likes

Re: What Is Your Best Advice For A First Time Mum? by prince2pac(m): 6:43pm On Mar 02, 2021
Please make sure you are always around your baby, most especially when he/she starts crawling

3 Likes

Re: What Is Your Best Advice For A First Time Mum? by MummyD2020(f): 6:45pm On Mar 02, 2021
You must be very vigilant at all times because these little people are so fragile. Always watch out for signs so that things can be abated timely. Your grooving days are so over, sorry. You are glued to this precious baby for a long time. Forget your freedom for now. Take care of yourself because it takes a healthy mom to take care of a baby well. Enjoy every moment because it can not come back. They grow so fast. Buy clothes that are months ahead because they grow fast. Keep in touch with the dad because I am guessing you are in abroad and he is probably not there. I dont know but get him involved . Its fun. Family is everything thing, babe. I am tired of typing. Wish you luck

4 Likes

Re: What Is Your Best Advice For A First Time Mum? by MummyD2020(f): 6:46pm On Mar 02, 2021
galantjoe:

That is what I used when I had my first child. Yes, prayer is very powerful but spiritual ointments and sacramentals are still important.

As you know that witches and wizards don't like silver and cross. So make those things near where you keep your child.

Ok

2 Likes

Re: What Is Your Best Advice For A First Time Mum? by Sterope(f): 6:49pm On Mar 02, 2021
The second one to the last paragraph describes my baby brother.
pozehnani:
I'll start by tackling constipation in children.
If you notice a child can't poo due to hard stool, and he won't take veggies by mouth, pump him through the anus with some herbal solution ( I can't remember what it is called in English) to prevent pile from forced poo.

Then make sure he takes a lot of fruits specifically pawpaw and orange. You can juice and bottle it for them to take to school. That way they'll never suffer constipation.

As for how to get them to eat without being abusive or hard on them. Get some chewable multivitamins ( they are quite expensive). This will induce hunger and make them eat very well without being forced. Its also very good for their skin. A 250g size of the chewable multivitamins goes for like 30k upwards.
Alternatively, you can give normal multivitamins syrup.

Now, there are some children who defy this multivitamins and still won't eat. Just try to find out what what such a child likes and let him be having it pending when he begins to eat very well. Every child has what they like.

Never force a child to eat what he or she doesn't like.

2 Likes

Re: What Is Your Best Advice For A First Time Mum? by Sterope(f): 6:50pm On Mar 02, 2021
Are witches and wizards synonymous to vampires as well?

galantjoe:

3 Likes

Re: What Is Your Best Advice For A First Time Mum? by muykem: 6:54pm On Mar 02, 2021
My little advice, please and please anytime you notice unusual things about the baby, hospital straight, don't wait for more signs. Thank you.

1 Like

Re: What Is Your Best Advice For A First Time Mum? by jobsintheoffice: 7:02pm On Mar 02, 2021
@galantjoe.pls can you list anti witch items pls.

1 Like

Re: What Is Your Best Advice For A First Time Mum? by criuze(m): 7:09pm On Mar 02, 2021
Train the first child well he will help you train others

4 Likes

Re: What Is Your Best Advice For A First Time Mum? by Juoflife1(f): 7:23pm On Mar 02, 2021
when my baby came, I did exclusive for 6months. The good thing about exclusive is that the baby has everything they need in food including water. You don't have to worry about germs or constipation or clean water.
Fifth month, whenever I'm eating, I put some in his mouth. He started eating normal food early, that saved me money for baby food. Ogbono and okra is still his favorite and tea.
Once your baby start eating, try give the baby different healthy foods even if you don't eat these foods.
Have a personal doctor you can call anytime for advice. Everything no be hospital matter. And most importantly, Do not listen to peoples prescription. Always talk to a doctor when you need clarification

6 Likes

Re: What Is Your Best Advice For A First Time Mum? by pozehnani(f): 7:26pm On Mar 02, 2021
Protein0:

Don’t you think giving multivitamin drugs is like “forcing” hunger on them. They were designed for those who couldn’t eat well, from illnesses, as supplements and to stimulate their appetite.

Thing is, most moms fail to discover what their kids like. Every child will definitely have what s/he likes when it comes to foods and it must not necessarily be those typical bulky foods and patterns.

Anything drug, no matter how little,definitely stretches the body to handle it compared to foods.

Well... You can call it " forcing hunger" but remember thats partly the idea since they refused to eat like they normally should. That was why I recommended the chewables because it's more like snacks and not pure medicine or supplements as the case may be. At least it's better that force-feeding them.

1 Like

Re: What Is Your Best Advice For A First Time Mum? by LegendaryLover(m): 7:37pm On Mar 02, 2021
My advice to a first time mom is that you screen the television programmes your children will have access to. That box in your living room, if you're not careful can destroy young minds and twist their ways.
Even some cartoons these days portray wrong lifestyle and things as right, thereby confusing little children.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is Your Best Advice For A First Time Mum? by LegendaryLover(m): 7:44pm On Mar 02, 2021
Another advice i have is be careful of your children around neighbours, especially your female children.
There're always some sexual perverts lurking around in every neighbourhood.

3 Likes

Re: What Is Your Best Advice For A First Time Mum? by fidelism: 7:45pm On Mar 02, 2021
Join Ask the Pediatrician (ATP) group on facebook... You will thank me later. Ask all your questions there and a certified consultant will address your issue. Never follow the advice of the so called 'experienced mum'. They have caused some irreparable damage and deaths for babies. You will be surprise to know from the group many dangerous cultural practices and myths that you need to avoid.

This group was all that helped us as first time parents as no caregiver to visit us due to the national lockdown.

nony43:
First time
mums always make mistakes...
Some made/make mistakes with the food...
Some its with over pampering...
Some do not let their children become independent early enough.

A friend once messaged me that her kid was beginning to have piles because his poopoo was too strong and was constantly so...I told her to feed him Veggies more often and she told me he doesn't eat it...I told her that the decision to give him the right food lies with her,there are so many ways to get your child to eat Vegetables...We just have to find out how to do it...
What were the mistakes you made as a first time mum and how did you rectify it?
What about with feeding?What did you feed your child and how did you trick them into eating well, with being abusive?
You might be saving a mother from her child's drama with your comment..LOL

1 Like

Re: What Is Your Best Advice For A First Time Mum? by cooltola(m): 8:01pm On Mar 02, 2021
eat healthy

1 Like

Re: What Is Your Best Advice For A First Time Mum? by naijadrivablog: 8:29pm On Mar 02, 2021
mosho2good:
If truly we are sons and daughters of Adam and Eve, how come buhari is not behaving like us?

Do you behave like your parents or grand parents

Variation is in all creature.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Things You Miss About Life Before Marriage And Children / Where Are The Real Women? Abi Dem No Dey? / Advice Needed! Is Unhappiness A Good Reason For Divorce?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.