Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,199,032 members, 7,970,189 topics. Date: Tuesday, 08 October 2024 at 10:41 PM

Nigerians Are Very Rude - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Nigerians Are Very Rude (5359 Views)

How Are You - Is It A Rude Form Of Greeting? / Why Are South Africans So Rude, Loud And Cheap / Is It Rude To Speak Your Language Openly In Public? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerians Are Very Rude by aribisala0(m): 10:24pm On Apr 11, 2011
i neva hear dat before
make government talk.
my people are useless,my people are senseless my people are indisciplined?

so the song by the great fela goes referring of course to buhari and his regime.

my question is this did buhari have a point.
are we an indisciplined bunch in need of regular doses of koboko and frog jumping or are we the same as everyone else.
i have only once in my life witnessed two people have a blazing row in an aircraft. yep you guessed nigerians
it is quite common in blogs for people to have a got at each other and become abusive but i believe nigerians take internet abuse to another level.
so a i wrong or are we really that aggressive and abusive what is your take
Re: Nigerians Are Very Rude by aribisala0(m): 10:26pm On Apr 11, 2011
i neva hear dat before
make government talk.

so the song by the great fela goes referring of course to buhari and his regime.

are we an indisciplined bunch in need of regular doses of koboko and frog jumping or are we the same as everyone else.
i have only once in my life witnessed two people have a blazing row in an aircraft. yep you guessed nigerians
it is quite common in blogs for people to have a got at each other and become abusive but i believe nigerians take internet abuse to another level.
so am i wrong?? or are we really that aggressive and abusive what is your take
Re: Nigerians Are Very Rude by aribisala0(m): 10:27pm On Apr 11, 2011
i neva hear dat before
make government talk.

it is quite common in blogs for people to have a go at each other and become abusive but i believe nigerians take internet abuse to another level.
so who is wrong are we really that aggressive and abusive what is your take
Re: Nigerians Are Very Rude by iice(f): 10:32am On Apr 14, 2011
Yes grin
Re: Nigerians Are Very Rude by aribisala0(m): 9:27pm On Apr 14, 2011
hmm.very illuminating
Re: Nigerians Are Very Rude by ChinenyeN(m): 10:27pm On Apr 14, 2011
If you define it by an outsider's culture (say, westerners), then yes. Otherwise, no. Nigerians are simply generally direct and unapologetic. If you want to call it rude, then that's you. It's just like how the Igbo tend to carry themselves with a rather ambitious, individualistic attitude and Nigerians then want to call it arrogance.
Re: Nigerians Are Very Rude by aribisala0(m): 10:46pm On Apr 14, 2011
there is no other way to discuss     the subject than to compare to outside cultures that is the point
but there are enough groups for comparison in africa

direct  and unapologetic.hmmm there is a lot of dat here in nairaland.

i did not know igbos are more ambitious than anyone else  cheesy cheesy
Re: Nigerians Are Very Rude by ChinenyeN(m): 10:57pm On Apr 14, 2011
aribisala0:

there is no other way to discuss     the subject than to compare to outside cultures that is the point
If that's the point of it all, then all I can do is agree (no real discussion necessary, in my opinion). Nigerians are straight up rude.

aribisala0:

i did not know igbos are more ambitious than anyone else  cheesy cheesy
I never said more, just that they have the tendency to carry themselves in such a manner, without paying much mind to others, even each other.
Re: Nigerians Are Very Rude by PhysicsMHD(m): 11:05pm On Apr 14, 2011
Some Nigerians may be rude now, but Nigerians in general were probably not rude in the past. The friendly and well mannered conduct of various Nigerian groups towards foreigners, strangers, and relatives was noted in the past by many visitors to Nigeria prior to the colonial era. Perhaps the gradual disappearance of the "natural" social structure with its class distinctions, rank distinctions, customs, and notions of propriety may have something to do with the apparent widespread rudeness you see today.
Re: Nigerians Are Very Rude by aribisala0(m): 11:17pm On Apr 14, 2011
when i chat with old uns from britain and the us they say the youth are less respectful  and we have our share of that
but what i am talking about is  gratuitous insolence quite common here in nairaland or a lack of basic courtesy from public officials like the police immigration etc
Re: Nigerians Are Very Rude by PhysicsHD: 10:38pm On Apr 15, 2011
lol@ "Gratuitous insolence"

That's quite a phrase. I may have to steal that.

As far as nairaland, it's all due to anonymity. I usually just assume that the more rude and obnoxious a poster is on here, the more timid and meek they would be in real life. As for the police in Nigeria, I can't explain their behavior. It's dumbfounding. As for airports (immigration) there's a lot of disorder and disorganization at MMA., but I've seen some shocking rudeness at London Heathrow and in France, so it's not exclusive to Nigerians. Traveling can be stressful.
Re: Nigerians Are Very Rude by AjanleKoko: 3:40pm On Apr 16, 2011
@OP,
It's our culture to be directly outspoken and emotional about issues. I wouldn't exactly say we are rude. Just direct, very outspoken, and we tend to get emotional. Just like Americans.
Talking about races that I would say are quite rude, I'd say Indians. Very rude, sometimes smug, when they are dealing with Africans, while annoyingly deferent to Oyinbos.
Re: Nigerians Are Very Rude by Nobody: 6:18pm On Apr 17, 2011
The majority of Nigerians are rude, so yes, I agree.
Re: Nigerians Are Very Rude by Blazay(m): 10:45pm On Apr 17, 2011
Only rude?
Crude and shrewd!
The reason I don't spare them at all.
I cuzz 'em out with all I gat and at the slightest opportunity.

The worst are the wife-beating, local, dirty, Yorubas and Across the Niger, bush, jungle bunnies of strong-faced Igbos. Very canterkerous and incorridgible. They kill their husbands and wives and turn around and blame 'assassins'! cheesy

Watch out for some 'below the Niger Igbotic ruffians' too.

Thank God none of my immediate family members is married to any one of such. Divorces would have been all over our families by now. Those people do not stay in marriages and never mind their phocking businesses! cry

Every where you find them, it is 'kpa-kpa-kpa-kpa' gibberish!

I can't stand those two tribes I swear. As individuals ok. . .but as a group of people.
No matter how exposed or educated. . .they act like 'hillbillies'!
We ain't talking 'Beverly Hillbillies" either.

Phuuuuuuuuuuum!!!!

God forbid!

Tufiakwa!
Re: Nigerians Are Very Rude by Nobody: 2:23am On Apr 18, 2011
wow @ topic.
Re: Nigerians Are Very Rude by AjanleKoko: 9:16am On Apr 18, 2011
Una never see rude.
South Africans are probably the rudest, most aggressive people on the continent. The tension between blacks and whites is just unbelievable. Imagine whites calling blacks 'racist' grin
Re: Nigerians Are Very Rude by Nobody: 2:48pm On Apr 19, 2011
AjanleKoko:

Una never see rude.
South Africans are probably the rudest, most aggressive people on the continent. The tension between blacks and whites is just unbelievable. Imagine whites calling blacks 'racist' grin

that is more so "situational irony" lol than 'rude'.
Re: Nigerians Are Very Rude by 190: 2:55pm On Apr 19, 2011
I bet shes enjoying the topic undecided
Re: Nigerians Are Very Rude by Nobody: 1:27am On May 17, 2011
190:

I bet shes enjoying the topic undecided

yep she is!  grin
Re: Nigerians Are Very Rude by 190: 2:01am On May 17, 2011
smh undecided
Re: Nigerians Are Very Rude by AjanleKoko: 10:47am On May 17, 2011
I think maybe OP should rename the topic to 'Nairalanders are very rude'. It appears your grouse is with Nairalanders, and not Nigerians. Even your cited example indicates this.
Re: Nigerians Are Very Rude by GODSON2009(m): 6:02pm On May 17, 2011
i totally and unequivocally agree with this assertion,i am not being funny but from my experience the average female nigerian are not only rude but influences friends from other countries negatively.in my opinion both the male and female nigerians are rude but more the female
Re: Nigerians Are Very Rude by KnowAll(m): 6:44pm On May 17, 2011
But who are those stupiiiiid nigerians always arguing with Ghanians & Oyinbo's on utube anytime I come across those low lifers on utube I feel ashamed even thus nobody knows I am viewing d comments.
Re: Nigerians Are Very Rude by Nobody: 7:34pm On May 17, 2011
Nigerians Are Very Rude

And so? Is there a problem?
Re: Nigerians Are Very Rude by Nobody: 9:51pm On May 17, 2011
190:

smh undecided
angry
Re: Nigerians Are Very Rude by 190: 9:58pm On May 17, 2011
angry angry

(1) (Reply)

Mothers Iron Their Daughters Breasts To Protect Them From Rape (adult Photos) / Taboos/abomination!: List Actions/deeds That Are Deemed Taboos In Your Culture. / Bachelors In Kano Go Into Hiding As ''Bachelor Hunter'' Goes On Prowl

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.