Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,185,874 members, 7,927,586 topics. Date: Wednesday, 21 August 2024 at 05:25 PM

Who In Your Opinion Would Most Likely Win The 2011 Fifa World Player Of The Year - Sports (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Who In Your Opinion Would Most Likely Win The 2011 Fifa World Player Of The Year (9184 Views)

Poll: Who is most likely to win the WPOTY 2011 Award

Cristiano ronaldo: 23% (37 votes)
Lionel Messi: 72% (115 votes)
Andres Iniesta: 1% (2 votes)
Xavi Hernandez: 3% (5 votes)
This poll has ended

FIFA's World Player Of The Year Shortlist / Lionel Messi Named World Player Of The Year Yet Again / Africans Win The 2011 New York City Marathon (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who In Your Opinion Would Most Likely Win The 2011 Fifa World Player Of The Year by plahtnaum: 7:41pm On Apr 14, 2011
my top three

sanni kaita
yakubu aiyegbeni
fernando to-rest
grin grin grin
Re: Who In Your Opinion Would Most Likely Win The 2011 Fifa World Player Of The Year by mystikal(m): 8:29pm On Apr 14, 2011
Eto
Re: Who In Your Opinion Would Most Likely Win The 2011 Fifa World Player Of The Year by Mcleo007(m): 8:34pm On Apr 14, 2011
Stanley Okoro
Re: Who In Your Opinion Would Most Likely Win The 2011 Fifa World Player Of The Year by snowdrops(m): 8:56pm On Apr 14, 2011
fifa footballer of the year ke!!!

when we are barely beyond the third month of 2011.

Some people sef go begin start thread just for the sake of it.
Re: Who In Your Opinion Would Most Likely Win The 2011 Fifa World Player Of The Year by mamagee3(f): 11:24pm On Apr 14, 2011
Please, I'm sick and tired of messi's name being mentioned all the time. ,

It's giving me a headache, I would like to see hom go to another team and league until then I think he's suspended from this award.

Seriously, let's face the players that move to different clubs and play iwth different players instead of the ones that have played for one team since the beginning of their career.
Re: Who In Your Opinion Would Most Likely Win The 2011 Fifa World Player Of The Year by semid4lyfe(m): 12:03am On Apr 15, 2011
mama-gee:

It's giving me a headache, I would like to see hom go to another team and league until then I think he's suspended from this award.

Seriously, let's face the players that move to different clubs and play iwth different players instead of the ones that have played for one team since the beginning of their career.

It's mama to the fukking Gee cool

Never a dull moment on Nairaland lol. . . . ROFLMAO grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Who In Your Opinion Would Most Likely Win The 2011 Fifa World Player Of The Year by eghost247(m): 12:06am On Apr 15, 2011
cr7
Re: Who In Your Opinion Would Most Likely Win The 2011 Fifa World Player Of The Year by Nobody: 12:26am On Apr 15, 2011
snowdrops:

Me sef tire oh!

But even in my sleep, its Messi
Re: Who In Your Opinion Would Most Likely Win The 2011 Fifa World Player Of The Year by ddippset(m): 12:27am On Apr 15, 2011
snowdrops:

ITS OK TO DISCUSS THE TOPIC NOW. BY THE END OF MAY (a month and a half's time) THE WINNER FOR 2011 IS 95% DECIDED.
Re: Who In Your Opinion Would Most Likely Win The 2011 Fifa World Player Of The Year by ddippset(m): 12:29am On Apr 15, 2011
mama-gee:

IAM SURE U EXPECTED PEOPLE 2 SAY RONALDO. BUT SEE, RONALDO IS A GREAT GREAT PLAYER. ITS ONLY MESSI WHO ALWAYS GOES MANY STEPS ABOVE HIM.
Re: Who In Your Opinion Would Most Likely Win The 2011 Fifa World Player Of The Year by ddippset(m): 12:31am On Apr 15, 2011
FOR NOW ITS MESSI- NO COMPETITION. BUT IF ANY OTHER TEAM DOES THE TREBLE, MESSI WILL HAVE SERIOUS COMPETITION FROM SAY, RONALDO OR GIGGS OR EVEN ROONEY.
Re: Who In Your Opinion Would Most Likely Win The 2011 Fifa World Player Of The Year by mamagee3(f): 12:33am On Apr 15, 2011
ddippset:

IAM SURE U EXPECTED PEOPLE 2 SAY RONALDO. BUT SEE, RONALDO IS A GREAT GREAT PLAYER. ITS ONLY MESSI WHO ALWAYS GOES MANY STEPS ABOVE HIM.
Comon, not after being in the same club for his first and second, it's just ridicuolus!

If he's truly the best, what's stopping him from moving to another club and then we'll be able to see how "legendary" he truly is.

Giving him this award for the third time while being in the same club meaning nothing much has changed from the time he won his second is quite questioning, I personally think he won't be winning it again this year.
Re: Who In Your Opinion Would Most Likely Win The 2011 Fifa World Player Of The Year by ddippset(m): 12:51am On Apr 15, 2011
mama-gee:

Comon, not after being in the same club for his first and second, it's just ridicuolus!

If he's truly the best, what's stopping him from moving to another club and then we'll be able to see how "legendary" he truly is.

Giving him this award for the third time while being in the same club meaning nothing much has changed from the time he won his second is quite questioning, I personally think he won't be winning it again this year.

ur point is well comprehended, but the only strong contender is ronaldo who was a GOD in the much appreciated epl. now this 'god' comes to the la liga and is consistently being 'owned' and smashed on by the 'lion'
Re: Who In Your Opinion Would Most Likely Win The 2011 Fifa World Player Of The Year by ddippset(m): 12:58am On Apr 15, 2011
mama-gee:

seriously there are about 3 champions league games and 6,7 league games lef to conclude the seasont.and except another player( from man u or madrid) is able to do something very very very exceptional, messi wins it 4 a third time.
Re: Who In Your Opinion Would Most Likely Win The 2011 Fifa World Player Of The Year by mamagee3(f): 1:01am On Apr 15, 2011
ddippset:

seriously there are about 3 champions league games and 6,7 league games lef to conclude the seasont.and except another player( from man u or madrid) is able to do something very very very exceptional,  messi wins it 4 a third time.
Are you in the FIFA committee? undecided

Cause I see nothing exceptional messi has done, he's not even the top scorer of the league.

Seriously, when are you all gonna stop riding on the messi bandwagon? undecided
Re: Who In Your Opinion Would Most Likely Win The 2011 Fifa World Player Of The Year by vicenzo(m): 1:12am On Apr 15, 2011
Your are missing the point,ronaldo is playing for a real madrid team that is in the building process,even in a trophyless season where other madrid stars failed,ronaldo still delivered,not to talk of the enormous pressure he had to play under because of his £80M Tag,but in messi you have a player who plays for an already established team,we know what happens when he plays for argentina national team( a team in the building process).

Messi is no doubt a good player,but he relies on xavi and inesta a lot, until he leaves barca and plays for another club one cannot say he is better than ronaldo.
ddippset:

your point is well comprehended, but the only strong contender is ronaldo who was a GOD in the much appreciated epl. now this 'god' comes to the la liga and is consistently being 'owned' and smashed on by the 'lion'
Re: Who In Your Opinion Would Most Likely Win The 2011 Fifa World Player Of The Year by mamagee3(f): 1:15am On Apr 15, 2011
^^Finally, someone that thinks in an unbiased manner and out of the box.

It doesn't make sense for him to continue winning this award while in the same team. . .

He needs to prove himself in another club before he gets another award.
Re: Who In Your Opinion Would Most Likely Win The 2011 Fifa World Player Of The Year by ddippset(m): 1:17am On Apr 15, 2011
mama-gee:

Are you in the FIFA committee? undecided

Cause I see nothing exceptional messi has done, he's not even the top scorer of the league.

Seriously, when are you all gonna stop riding on the messi bandwagon? undecided

mama geee! who is the top scorer in la liga? who is the top scorer in europe?? who is the spanish league all time top scorer in a season who has the highest assists in la liga? who has the highest assists in europe?? who is the season's champions league top scorer who is top of castrol rankings?  u dont see what he has done? mama gee r u kiddin me or what?
Re: Who In Your Opinion Would Most Likely Win The 2011 Fifa World Player Of The Year by ddippset(m): 1:25am On Apr 15, 2011
vicenzo:

Your are missing the point,ronaldo  is playing for a real madrid team that is in the building process,even in a trophyless season where other madrid stars failed,ronaldo still delivered,not to talk of the enormous pressure he had to play under because of his £80M Tag,but in messi you have a player who plays for an already established team,we know what happens when he plays for argentina national team( a team in the building process).

Messi  is no doubt a good player,but he relies on xavi and inesta a lot, until he leaves barca and plays for another club one cannot say he is better than ronaldo.
now this kind of arguement gets me pissed off! ronaldo played 4 man u( that had scholes, tevez, rooney,fletcher, giggs, hegreaves) now he plays 4 madrid( with kaka, alonso, ozil, de maria, benzema, adebayor, khedira, diarra, higuain)  now messi relies on xavi and iniesta? common. no team has stars like madrid.when he plays 4 argentina he excels,he is always their best player, he wins the olympic GOLD, he wins the junior world cup. ronaldo cannot even win aspoon 4 portugal!
Re: Who In Your Opinion Would Most Likely Win The 2011 Fifa World Player Of The Year by ddippset(m): 1:31am On Apr 15, 2011
vicenzo:

Your are missing the point,ronaldo  is playing for a real madrid team that is in the building process,even in a trophyless season where other madrid stars failed,ronaldo still delivered,not to talk of the enormous pressure he had to play under because of his £80M Tag,but in messi you have a player who plays for an already established team,we know what happens when he plays for argentina national team( a team in the building process).

Messi  is no doubt a good player,but he relies on xavi and inesta a lot, until he leaves barca and plays for another club one cannot say he is better than ronaldo.
WHENEVER U GUYS WISH TO DISCREDIT MESSI U SAY THERE IS NO MESSI  WITHOUT  XAVI AND INIESTA  AND THEN WHEN YOU WANT TO DISCREDIT BARCA YOU SAY THERE IS NO BARCA WITHOUT MESSI. SO WHICH OF THE ABOVE APPLIES? Y'ALL NEED TO MAKE UP YOUR MINDS.
Re: Who In Your Opinion Would Most Likely Win The 2011 Fifa World Player Of The Year by ddippset(m): 1:44am On Apr 15, 2011
ddippset:

mama geee! who is the top scorer in la liga? who is the top scorer in europe?? who is the spanish league all time top scorer in a season who has the highest assists in la liga? who has the highest assists in europe?? who is the season's champions league top scorer who is top of castrol rankings?  u dont see what he has done? mama gee r u kiddin me or what?
come to think of it u had ronaldo's name as the first on your list. is it what am thinking or is it a coincidence LWKMD.
Re: Who In Your Opinion Would Most Likely Win The 2011 Fifa World Player Of The Year by mamagee3(f): 2:06am On Apr 15, 2011
ddippset:

mama geee! who is the top scorer in la liga? who is the top scorer in europe?? who is the spanish league all time top scorer in a season who has the highest assists in la liga? who has the highest assists in europe?? who is the season's champions league top scorer who is top of castrol rankings? u dont see what he has done? mama gee r u kiddin me or what?
Oh well, he's doing just that in a team that he's played all his career, right?

Or Is there a change that we don't know of? fact is and still remains that messi needs to prove himself on another league or team before he truly can be seen as th best of the best.
Re: Who In Your Opinion Would Most Likely Win The 2011 Fifa World Player Of The Year by ddippset(m): 2:16am On Apr 15, 2011
mama-gee:

[color=deeppink]Oh well, he's doing just that in a team that he's played all his career, right?
well one difference between MESSI and ronaldo is that a number of people have DARED to call messi the greatset of all time but everyone knows that if they dare call ronaldo the greatest of all time they would have to walk around looking over their shoulders because bring shame upon themself.
well one difference between MESSI and ronaldo is that a number of people have DARED to call messi the greatset of all time but everyone knows that if they dared calling ronaldo the greatest of all time they would have to walk around looking over their shoulders because bring shame upon themself
Re: Who In Your Opinion Would Most Likely Win The 2011 Fifa World Player Of The Year by ddippset(m): 2:26am On Apr 15, 2011
mama geee, gud nite and sweet dreams.
Re: Who In Your Opinion Would Most Likely Win The 2011 Fifa World Player Of The Year by vicenzo(m): 2:31am On Apr 15, 2011
Come on, we all know that madrid is a constellation of stars and not a team,even mourinho admitted it,messi depends on xavi and iniesta,the only team he plays for and performs well have these two players,their absence in argentina national team explains why he flops for the national team.

In man u,ronaldo played for an established team with those stars you mentioned and delivered,last season he played with a team in the building process with stars and delivered. Messi played for a star studed argentine team in the building process and floped,why? No iniesta and xavi.He can prove us wrong by changing club,afteral thats what great players do,but the young man knows better,instead he is demanding for fabregas for an aging xavi.
ddippset:

now this kind of arguement gets me pissed off! ronaldo played 4 man u( that had scholes, tevez, rooney,fletcher, giggs, hegreaves) now he plays 4 madrid( with kaka, alonso, ozil, de maria, benzema, adebayor, khedira, diarra, higuain)  now messi relies on xavi and iniesta? common. no team has stars like madrid.when he plays 4 argentina he excels,he is always their best player, he wins the olympic GOLD, he wins the junior world cup. ronaldo cannot even win aspoon 4 portugal!
Re: Who In Your Opinion Would Most Likely Win The 2011 Fifa World Player Of The Year by ddippset(m): 6:31am On Apr 15, 2011
vicenzo:

Come on, we all know that madrid is a constellation of stars and not a team,even mourinho admitted it,messi depends on xavi and iniesta,the only team he plays for and performs well have these two players,their absence in argentina national team explains why he flops for the national team.

In man u,ronaldo played for an established team with those stars you mentioned and delivered,last season he played with a team in the building process with stars and delivered. Messi played for a star studed argentine team in the building process and floped,why? No iniesta and xavi.He can prove us wrong by changing club,afteral thats what great players do,but the young man knows better,instead he is demanding for fabregas for an aging xavi.
how long did it take u to compose this piece of trash.i waited 4 ur response all nite but woke up this morning to this garbage. madrid is a collection of stars and they are in champs league semi final ! they lost only two games all season !and they are second in la liga. so a team has to play one million matches to become a team? how long did it take inter and chelsea to be established? dont tell me what mourinho says or does not say. to me he is phony. he says all sorts of things to soothe himself. if he was winning the league he wont say they r a collection of stars.
Re: Who In Your Opinion Would Most Likely Win The 2011 Fifa World Player Of The Year by ddippset(m): 6:43am On Apr 15, 2011
[quote][/quote] from all your comments i see your not an intelligent human at all. have u ever seen a player win the world player without being in man u, chelsea, ac milan, inter, barca, madrid. no matter how good u r u need world class stars to play with to be mvp. stop meandering here and there like a wh*re. if u compare on international level messi is far ahead of ronaldo, at club level the same. (if u say messi is a flop with argentina fine, it means ronaldo is a flop X10 with portugal) if i wish to be stupid also, i would also say, no ozil and de maria so ronaldo flops with portugal.
Re: Who In Your Opinion Would Most Likely Win The 2011 Fifa World Player Of The Year by ddippset(m): 6:59am On Apr 15, 2011
when zidane, ronaldinho, ronaldo, rivaldo, baggio, weah, kaka, etc all won the ballon dor, they had the best and the best in their squads. this xavi and iniesta talk is the most unintelligent arguement in football. cristiano had scholes and giggs, now he has de maria,kaka,alonso and ozil. messi has xavi and iniesta, and stii has the highest assists in europe. nig**r  please. be smart.
Re: Who In Your Opinion Would Most Likely Win The 2011 Fifa World Player Of The Year by renewnaija(m): 8:03am On Apr 15, 2011
I have read some funny comments about Messi supposed to move to another team to prove himself. I can only assume that these comments have been made by individuals who have just want to make fun.

That guy has nothing to prove. Men lie, women lie, numbers dont. Check the stats on what this dude does season after season. He has won U-20 and the Olympics. Was that a team he grew up all his life?
C. Ronaldo moved cos he wasnt playing for any of the top 2 teams in the world. Man Utd has neva held a candle to Madrid or Barca globally.

Why move when you are making history with the best team on the planet? Does it make sense? I can call a few players who can challenge for best of all time but for the fact that even football legends acknowledge that this guy might be speaks volumes.

He doesnt need to prove anything to anyone. We are all privileged having someone like this in our generation and the Barca team as a whole cos football is not kick & follow & lots of passion. It is a beautiful se xy enjoyable sport which delights & tickles the inner senses like no other does.
I dont expect anti-Messi (or anti-Barca) or  fans to understand this. True fans know this. Thats all that matters.

PS: I'm not even a Barca fan
Re: Who In Your Opinion Would Most Likely Win The 2011 Fifa World Player Of The Year by Mcleo007(m): 8:07am On Apr 15, 2011
People just want to down play Messi's disclaimer as †ђξ  best by giving all sorts of flimsy excuses. Funny thing is, the young man doesn't give a hoot abt what y'all are saying. To him, soccer is everything there is. He doesn't have to change clubs to prove he's extremely good. Besides, since his professional start, he's played alongside various players and has never dissappointed (deco, dinho, eto'o, van bommel, edmilson etc and the current crop of barca players). What would u say of Paolo maldini who had his entire career at milan? Can u deny †he fact he's one of the best full backs of his generation.
Re: Who In Your Opinion Would Most Likely Win The 2011 Fifa World Player Of The Year by montelik(m): 8:27am On Apr 15, 2011
renewnaija:

I have read some funny comments about Messi supposed to move to another team to prove himself. I can only assume that these comments have been made by individuals who have just want to make fun.

That guy has nothing to prove. Men lie, women lie, numbers dont. Check the stats on what this dude does season after season. He has won U-20 and the Olympics. Was that a team he grew up all his life?
C. Ronaldo moved cos he wasnt playing for any of the top 2 teams in the world. Man Utd has neva held a candle to Madrid or Barca globally.

Why move when you are making history with the best team on the planet? Does it make sense? I can call a few players who can challenge for best of all time but for the fact that even football legends acknowledge that this guy might be speaks volumes.

He doesnt need to prove anything to anyone. We are all privileged having someone like this in our generation and the Barca team as a whole cos football is not kick & follow & lots of passion. It is a beautiful se xy enjoyable sport which delights & tickles the inner senses like no other does.
I dont expect anti-Messi (or anti-Barca) or  fans to understand this. True fans know this. Thats all that matters.

PS: I'm not even a Barca fan

What kind of ridiculous statement is that. Not only does it show that you don't know or understand d circumstances behind CR7 departure from O.T. It also show that your understanding of club football teams stature "globally" is incredibly deficient.
Re: Who In Your Opinion Would Most Likely Win The 2011 Fifa World Player Of The Year by renewnaija(m): 8:33am On Apr 15, 2011
montelik:

What kind of ridiculous statement is that. Not only does it show that you don't know or understand d circumstances behind CR7 departure from O.T. It also show that your understanding of club football teams stature "globally" is incredibly deficient.

Our wise Mr know-all, why did he move if not ambition? Or do you want to compare trophy cabinets? Get your facts right else one can rightly assume you just started following this beautiful game out of peer pressure which most do nowadays.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Mouad Hajji Resigns As CAF Secretary General / AFCON: Buhari Urges Super Eagles To Maintain Their Terrific Form / Juju: Why Can't We Use It To Progress/win In The World Cup?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.