Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,302 members, 7,881,113 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 12:47 PM

Your Greatest Uefa Champions League Nights: 1993 -2011 - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Your Greatest Uefa Champions League Nights: 1993 -2011 (2238 Views)

UEFA Champions League Draw - Live / 2012/2013 UEFA Champions League Matches Today (notables) / Euro2012: Football Fan Dies After Going Eleven Nights Without Sleep (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Your Greatest Uefa Champions League Nights: 1993 -2011 by v3: 2:00pm On Apr 15, 2011
2005, Dubbed "The Miracle of Instabul" - AC Milan vs Liverpool, i was actually rooting for Milan to win it but well,it's not over till it's over. Great fighting spirit by Liverpool.

1999 - United vs Bayern Munich - How do you explain scoring two goals in the space of 3-4 mins after being a goal down for like 90mins? Thats just phenomenal stuff!

2008 - United vs Chelsea. Ah well, we all know what happened. Terry . . . lipsrsealed grin
Re: Your Greatest Uefa Champions League Nights: 1993 -2011 by mukina2: 4:03pm On Apr 15, 2011
terry stepped on a banana peel jor grin
Re: Your Greatest Uefa Champions League Nights: 1993 -2011 by jackpot(f): 4:31am On Apr 22, 2011
binhozie:

2005, and thats cos i won money
After the arsenal goal, gunners jumping around the place looking for where to lose their money
I helped them
2006 you mean?

Why are you guys smearing this place with unpardonable errors? undecided
Re: Your Greatest Uefa Champions League Nights: 1993 -2011 by RuuDie(m): 12:57pm On Apr 22, 2011
Monaco vs Deportivo La Coruna (*cannot remember the year*)
Probably the highest scoring match in a single UCL game. . . . . . but highlight for me was Diego Tristan's wonder goal; wish some one could get that video for all to re-live it!

Deportivo La Coruna vs AC Milan (*cannot remember the year*)
Amazing comeback on some special anniversary for the club; Milan was leading 4-1 from the first leg but soon as the cameras panned in on the stadia, you knew something absolutely spectacular was on the cards --- the atmosphere was simply electric and the Depor players went at it like their lives was at stake - commitment of the highest order and in the end they turned it around. . . . .my word, how they did, it was so special!

Villareal vs Inter Milan
How could I ever forget this one in the year of 'Roman' - it was the Riquelme show all through. Canbiasso, Veron, Zanetti chased and harried the man all night but it was like the ball was stuck to his feet and couldn't come off!

grin
Re: Your Greatest Uefa Champions League Nights: 1993 -2011 by chic2pimp(m): 1:55pm On Apr 22, 2011
^^^^^^^^^^^The Deportivo vs Milan game was in 2004. April to be precise

My Greatest Champions League Finals Night has got to be 18TH Of May 1994. All the talk and hype before the start of the game was about how Barca's attacking force was going to tear Milan's defence to shreds. Pffffffff we needed not have worried. We completely destroyed the all so legendary Barca Dream Team. We showed em' what the term "Legendary" meant. The most fufilling thing about that victory was that we had BARESI missing so basically capello had to reshuffle his defence.

My Worst has got to be 25TH Of May 2005. Need I say more. Complacency was the order of the day that night. We thought we had it all sown up and to be honest barring a crazy six minute period in the second half we dominated that match. People rattle on and on about how Gerrard was MOTM, but IMO It was and still is KAKA. How we lost that match, I'll never know.

Also be I forget, I throway salute to the performance of one the greatest Italian defenders of all time PIETR VIERCHWOOD in the 1997 champions League Final. At 37 years of age if memory serves me right, He was simply outstanding on that night. The Azzuris will get an arm and leg to have the calibre of Worldclass defenders we had in the 1980 till early 2000's back again.
Re: Your Greatest Uefa Champions League Nights: 1993 -2011 by RuuDie(m): 2:01pm On Apr 22, 2011
chic2pimp:

^^^^^^^^^^^The Deportivo vs Milan game was in 2004. April to be precise

My Greatest Champions League Finals Night has got to be 18TH Of May 1994. All the talk and hype before the start of the game was about how Barca's attacking force was going to tear Milan's defence to shreds. Pffffffff we needed not have worried. We completely destroyed the all so legendary Barca Dream Team. We showed em' what the term "Legendary" meant. The most fufilling thing about that victory was that we had BARESI missing so basically capello had to reshuffle his defence.

Oh what a night. . . .what a night!
Romario, Stoichkov Barca of that time - scary. . . . . . that was the ultimate ITALIAN JOB by Capello - a ruthlessly efficient performance from the Rossoneri. Splendid!
Re: Your Greatest Uefa Champions League Nights: 1993 -2011 by chic2pimp(m): 2:37pm On Apr 22, 2011
RuuDie:

Oh what a night. . . .what a night!
Romario, Stoichkov Barca of that time - scary. . . . . . that was the ultimate ITALIAN JOB by Capello - a ruthlessly efficient performance from the Rossoneri. Splendid!
Not only was it ruthlessly effecient, it was also a great show of attacking prowess.

Also how did I forget to list the 26TH of May 1999 @the Nou Camp. "Can Man United Score?, They Always Score". Not a great match per se but an incredible ending to a Finale. Like Milan, how Bayern lost that match, I'll never know. The term "Simply Ran Out Of Luck" is often overused but in this case Bayern simply did. They it the post/cross bar not once but twice. On another night, Scholl's Fantabolous chip would have rebounded to a Bayern Player not Schemeichel(not forgetting Jancker's overhead kick). Also my abiding memory of that Night was not Sheringham or Solskjaer's goal, it was Sammy Kuffour beating the floor hard in agony,despair and fustration

Another great match in that season's champions league was the semi final return leg involving Manchester United and Juventus at the Delle Alpi. The game at Old Trafford ended 1-1 thanks to Gigg's late goal and Juve was firm favouriteto progress to the finals. Even more so after going 2 nil up thanks to a brace from Pippo. However as they had done all season, United staged a magnificient comeback thanks to an inspired peformance from Roy Keane.
Re: Your Greatest Uefa Champions League Nights: 1993 -2011 by RuuDie(m): 3:29pm On Apr 22, 2011
chic2pimp:

Another great match in that season's champions league was the semi final return leg involving Manchester United and Juventus at the Delle Alpi. The game at Old Trafford ended 1-1 thanks to Gigg's late goal and Juve was firm favouriteto progress to the finals. Even more so after going 2 nil up thanks to a brace from Pippo. However as they had done all season, United staged a magnificient comeback thanks to an inspired peformance from Roy Keane.

Man, oh man. . . . u sure have seen some great UCL games, haven't you!?

Remember Barca vs UTD at the Camp Nou group stages before this Juve game - great attacking football and excellent goals - the Rivaldo overhead kick and the delicious interpaly of passes between Becks, Cole and York for one UTD's goals!!?
And yet someone asks why I'm so gung-ho about footie. . . . .such magic moments pally, such magic moments make me never wanna leave that TV set when a footie game is on grin
Re: Your Greatest Uefa Champions League Nights: 1993 -2011 by allboyz(m): 6:52pm On Apr 22, 2011
Arsenal Vz Barca - 2011 @ D Emirate

2 - 1

RVP n Ashavin. . . .Rvp scored a Tv Advert goal!!!! grin grin grin grin

Man Utd Vz Madrid '03 - Ronaldo De Lima goals against Bathez were madt

Juvetus Vz Madrid @ Turin in 03. . . Pablo Nedved screamer!!

AC Milan Vz R.Madrid. . . .Rui Costa's days i think in O3 too. . ,
Re: Your Greatest Uefa Champions League Nights: 1993 -2011 by dayokanu(m): 7:00pm On Apr 22, 2011
AC Milan vs Ajax 2003 quarter finals in Milan AC Milan were coasting before Pienaar scored. All hopes were lost until Filipo Inzaghi and JD Tommason came to the rescue.

Valencia vs SS Lazio 2000

Bayern Munich vs Real madrid Series, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2004, 2007

Borrousia Dortmund vs Real Madrid 1998 semi finals second leg
Re: Your Greatest Uefa Champions League Nights: 1993 -2011 by chic2pimp(m): 12:30am On Apr 23, 2011
allboyz:

AC Milan Vz R.Madrid. . . .Rui Costa's days i think in O3 too. . ,
Yeah it was in 2003. The Great Fernando Redondo was given a standing ovation by the madrid faithfuls that night at the bernabeu.
RuuDie:

Remember Barca vs UTD at the Camp Nou group stages before this Juve game - great attacking football and excellent goals - the Rivaldo overhead kick and the delicious interpaly of passes between Becks, Cole and York for one UTD's goals!!?
And yet someone asks why I'm so gung-ho about footie. . . . .such magic moments pally, such magic moments make me never wanna leave that TV set when a footie game is on grin
That gorgeous interplay of passes between Cole and Yorke was a thing of beauty. Probably my personal favourite UCL goal that season. I hear you on not wanting to the leave the T.V set. I even watch the replay of classic matches again.

dayokanu:

AC Milan vs Ajax 2003 quarter finals in Milan AC Milan were coasting before Pienaar scored. All hopes were lost until Filipo Inzaghi and JD Tommason came to the rescue.

Valencia vs SS Lazio 2000

Bayern Munich vs Real madrid Series, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2004, 2007

Borrousia Dortmund vs Real Madrid 1998 semi finals second leg
There is an all to familiar pattern starting to appear concerning these great games. They seem to include one of the following teams, Madrid,Milan,Barca,Juve,Man United,Bayern or Ajax.
Re: Your Greatest Uefa Champions League Nights: 1993 -2011 by RuuDie(m): 6:43am On Apr 23, 2011
chic2pimp:

There is an all to familiar pattern starting to appear concerning these great games. They seem to include one of the following teams, Madrid,Milan,Barca,Juve,Man United,Bayern or Ajax.

yeah. . . . .lots interesting spain, italy confrontations too!
Re: Your Greatest Uefa Champions League Nights: 1993 -2011 by AjanleKoko: 1:43pm On Apr 23, 2011
chic2pimp:

Yeah, since the 50s, these clubs have competed in Europe more than any other. And between those teams, they have shared the best players in the world at some time or the other. You can easily name 4 or 5 WPOTYs/Ballon D'ors who have played for at least 2 of those teams. Cryuff, Zidane, Figo, Ronaldo da Lima, Ronaldinho, Rivaldo, and so on. These men made UCL rock at some time or the other.
Re: Your Greatest Uefa Champions League Nights: 1993 -2011 by cisse7575(m): 4:08pm On Apr 23, 2011
ajanlekoko, you are so very much right abut the world footballer of the year
Re: Your Greatest Uefa Champions League Nights: 1993 -2011 by switch47(m): 9:30pm On Apr 23, 2011
Greatest champion league nights? When manchester united defeated chelsea fc in a penalty shootout. And when barcelona destroyed chelsea & had drogba mad at the camera. The most recent is the recent destruction by united owning chelsea home and away!
Re: Your Greatest Uefa Champions League Nights: 1993 -2011 by RuuDie(m): 5:03pm On Apr 24, 2011
Avram Grant saying pre-match "the special 1 will come and watch Chelsea in Moscow" before the semi-final game against Liverpool.
The game was played on the anniversary of the holocaust (when he lost his dad) and at the final whistle he went down on his knees, tears in eyes raised to heavens in supplication. . . . . .very stirring stuff!
Am UTD fan, but when I saw those scenes, I wanted the fairy-tale ending for Grant (still wish Terry had scored that last kick), perharps JM wouldn't be so 'special' now in the eyes of many a mindless, d@ck-riders grin
Re: Your Greatest Uefa Champions League Nights: 1993 -2011 by RuuDie(m): 10:22am On Apr 29, 2011
Real Madrid 0 v 2 Barcelona (April 27, 2011)

Unforgettable i tell ya grin grin grin
The look on Jose Mourinho's face. . . . .priceless, absolutely priceless grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Your Greatest Uefa Champions League Nights: 1993 -2011 by switch47(m): 1:47pm On Apr 29, 2011
Chelsea vs manchester united the moment john terry missed the penalty.it was glorious seeing chelsea fail.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Arsen Wingar And Jose Morinho On Vincent Enyeama / Real Sociedad Vs Real Madrid (0 - 1) On 29th October 2011 / Why Arsenal Fans Are The Most Arrogant

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.