Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,540 members, 7,888,730 topics. Date: Saturday, 13 July 2024 at 01:55 PM

I Changed My Car Oil And Now I Hear A Knocking Sound - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / I Changed My Car Oil And Now I Hear A Knocking Sound (2906 Views)

See What Happened To Me After I Changed My Car Tyre For The First Time (graphic) / I Change My Car Oil And The Sound Change / My Camry 2007 Engine Does Not Run Smoothly After I Changed It (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Changed My Car Oil And Now I Hear A Knocking Sound by starlionnotch: 12:14pm On Mar 21, 2021
I use a Toyota Camry 07/08, I have been experiencing shortage of oil for a long time now using mobil products from mobil 1 to semi synthetic oils, so i decided i needed a change of oil to Total 20W -50.
But unfortunately, i noticed when ever i start my engine in the morning, i hear a knocking and pinging sound, before the engine stabilizes.

What would you advice that i do in the circumstance, is this as a result of the oil change?
Please see attached pictures of my oil cap and the total i bought.

Re: I Changed My Car Oil And Now I Hear A Knocking Sound by setobaba: 12:23pm On Mar 21, 2021
How old is the car, and did you purchase it as toks or Nigerian used, calculate the total years of usage let’s hear first

1 Like

Re: I Changed My Car Oil And Now I Hear A Knocking Sound by Arakonedo(m): 12:25pm On Mar 21, 2021
Call your mechanic nah, let dem check the engine smiley
Re: I Changed My Car Oil And Now I Hear A Knocking Sound by starlionnotch: 12:42pm On Mar 21, 2021
setobaba:
How old is the car, and did you purchase it as toks or Nigerian used, calculate the total years of usage let’s hear first

I have been using it for close to 3 years, bought as naija used.
Re: I Changed My Car Oil And Now I Hear A Knocking Sound by setobaba: 12:46pm On Mar 21, 2021
starlionnotch:

I have been using it for close to 3 years, bought as naija used.
Baba the car don try all you need is replacement of certain parts and not repairment. So find a better mechanic is get that fixed
Re: I Changed My Car Oil And Now I Hear A Knocking Sound by alphaNomega: 9:40pm On Mar 21, 2021
I suggest you revert to the Mobil oil. The shortage can't be too much until it's time for your next oil change. Besides, your Camry won't use all the oil from the keg so you can top up with whatever's left.
Re: I Changed My Car Oil And Now I Hear A Knocking Sound by Mottomata(m): 11:19pm On Mar 21, 2021
starlionnotch:
I use a Toyota Camry 07/08, I have been experiencing shortage of oil for a long time now using mobil products from mobil 1 to semi synthetic oils, so i decided i needed a change of oil to Total 20W -50.
But unfortunately, i noticed when ever i start my engine in the morning, i hear a knocking and pinging sound, before the engine stabilizes.

What would you advice that i do in the circumstance, is this as a result of the oil change?

The oil change to 20W50 is the cause of the pinging sound once you start your engine. The recommended oil for the engine is on the oil cap as you've shown us.

Try this: drain the 20W50 and put the recommended oil, you'll not notice that pinging sound on start up

3 Likes

Re: I Changed My Car Oil And Now I Hear A Knocking Sound by toyeoye(m): 12:00am On Mar 22, 2021
starlionnotch:

Op, oil cap says OW-20 or 5W-20
Why did you use 20W-50 again?

2 Likes

Re: I Changed My Car Oil And Now I Hear A Knocking Sound by theoilguy: 7:17pm On Mar 22, 2021
Fix your oil shortage by overhauling your engine.. then stick to manufacturer recommended oil..
Re: I Changed My Car Oil And Now I Hear A Knocking Sound by Malorn: 11:52am On Apr 03, 2021
You poured oil 20w-50 - is a viscous oil, it is poured into a technique-type tractors. You have to cover the said oil 5w20 - is a low viscosity oil for modern cars. Urgent replace the oil, and before that the engine wash the old oil. But if that is knocking, you may need repair.
Re: I Changed My Car Oil And Now I Hear A Knocking Sound by DMechy: 5:19pm On Apr 03, 2021
starlionnotch:

Oil burns on your Camry is a factory fault. You should live with. The car does not smoke, and there are no leakages. Albeit a knocking sound on startup is as a result of delay in oil supply.

The weight of the new oil could be the cause, a clogged oil pump filter, or a depressed oil sump.

Switch back to 0w40 or 5w30

1 Like

Re: I Changed My Car Oil And Now I Hear A Knocking Sound by kala111: 9:21pm On Apr 03, 2021
DMechy:

Oil burns on your Camry is a factory fault. You should live with. The car does not smoke, and there are no leakages. Albeit a knocking sound on startup is as a result of delay in oil supply.

The weight of the new oil could be the cause, a clogged oil pump filter, or a depressed oil sump.

Switch back to 0w40 or 5w30

Am experiencing similar issue with my 05 corolla. Oil shortening but doesn't smoke and I use semi synthetic oil.

Nowing making a knocking sound each time put on the ignition and the engine light blinking each time car is idle or at every braking but mostly when engine is warm.
Re: I Changed My Car Oil And Now I Hear A Knocking Sound by DMechy: 9:41pm On Apr 03, 2021
kala111:

Am experiencing similar issue with my 05 corolla. Oil shortening but doesn't smoke and I use semi synthetic oil.

Nowing making a knocking sound each time put on the ignition and the engine light blinking each time car is idle or at every braking but mostly when engine is warm.

Is your oil light on too?

The 05 corrola is riddled with when the oil sump is depressed, especially when you enter a bump. Check the oil sump.

A continuously blinking check engine light is evident of a serious performance problem that needs to be addressed. Does the corolla misfire too?
Re: I Changed My Car Oil And Now I Hear A Knocking Sound by kala111: 1:15pm On Apr 04, 2021
DMechy:

Is your oil light on too?

The 05 corrola is riddled with when the oil sump is depressed, especially when you enter a bump. Check the oil sump.

A continuously blinking check engine light is evident of a serious performance problem that needs to be addressed. Does the corolla misfire too?

Yes the oil light comes up once it's making that knocking sound if I put on the ignition and sometimes it start normally without the sound.

But once the car has worked for several minutes or hour (that when engine has warm) and I brake or car is on idle (say in a traffic) the engine oil start blinking until I accelerate again before it goes off.
Re: I Changed My Car Oil And Now I Hear A Knocking Sound by kala111: 1:17pm On Apr 04, 2021
It doesn't misfire.

I have changed the oil pump and oil sump was also cleaned.
Re: I Changed My Car Oil And Now I Hear A Knocking Sound by DMechy: 2:19pm On Apr 04, 2021
kala111:

Yes the oil light comes up once it's making that knocking sound if I put on the ignition and sometimes it start normally without the sound.

But once the car has worked for several minutes or hour (that when engine has warm) and I brake or car is on idle (say in a traffic) the engine oil start blinking until I accelerate again before it goes off.

Check if your oil sump is pressed.

You can take a look yourself.

If this is pressed, you probably have your culprit.

The other probable cause is, weighty oil, low oil pump pump pressure, clogged oil filter, or oil pump sieve.

If i was you, i will check the sump first, 50% of the times, it is the culprit.

You can also bring the car to the shop.

Re: I Changed My Car Oil And Now I Hear A Knocking Sound by Kokomo: 5:49pm On Sep 04, 2021
reach out to trygo
Re: I Changed My Car Oil And Now I Hear A Knocking Sound by FLADO: 11:17pm On Sep 26, 2023
Please I have I seriously need answers and solutions
Please this just my second car and my first time experiencing such
My Toyota Camry 2007 4plug after using it to pass through water that got to the tire level when I got to my house gate it' start making some funny noise
The next day I found out the oil warn light is on I check the engine and the oil have short so I top the oil and it went off and the car was driving well but the noise still continues
So I went to mechanic he says I should buy new oil and filter that there is something at the bottom plate he will remove and it will stop so I make enquiries from other same car users they say it doesn't mean anything that he should remove it then after removing it and changing oil he start it and the sound was still there he said it will stop and I try driving it home only for the noise to increase the more and start making knocking sound

I call someone to check he said it's crankshaft, and about 3 people comfirmed it's crankshaft
Now my fear and problem is this

They are charging 130-150k to fix the crankshaft, oil pump etc

But rumours is saying I should not do it that it won't last but I don't know because it's my personal car for work
Should I fix it or save money and buy tokumbo half engine since alternator, compressor,etc is still very good

Or fix the engine
Please your advice and solutions
And reasons

If I fix it will it last? Etc
Please
Re: I Changed My Car Oil And Now I Hear A Knocking Sound by Angrigowt: 6:50am On Sep 27, 2023
Ladipo straight.
FLADO:
Please I have I seriously need answers and solutions
Please this just my second car and my first time experiencing such
My Toyota Camry 2007 4plug after using it to pass through water that got to the tire level when I got to my house gate it' start making some funny noise
The next day I found out the oil warn light is on I check the engine and the oil have short so I top the oil and it went off and the car was driving well but the noise still continues
So I went to mechanic he says I should buy new oil and filter that there is something at the bottom plate he will remove and it will stop so I make enquiries from other same car users they say it doesn't mean anything that he should remove it then after removing it and changing oil he start it and the sound was still there he said it will stop and I try driving it home only for the noise to increase the more and start making knocking sound

I call someone to check he said it's crankshaft, and about 3 people comfirmed it's crankshaft
Now my fear and problem is this

They are charging 130-150k to fix the crankshaft, oil pump etc

But rumours is saying I should not do it that it won't last but I don't know because it's my personal car for work
Should I fix it or save money and buy tokumbo half engine since alternator, compressor,etc is still very good

Or fix the engine
Please your advice and solutions
And reasons

If I fix it will it last? Etc
Please
Re: I Changed My Car Oil And Now I Hear A Knocking Sound by sultaan(m): 5:49pm On Sep 27, 2023
20w50 is too heavy for modern cars, that is why you hear that sound.

Going by statistics 95% of those oils can be regarded as fake(if you can recall recent arrest in Alaba market of fake oil packaging)

Change back now to the original before you do permanent damage.

A replacement engine is more expensive than 4 liters of engine oil.

(1) (Reply)

Help!!! Between 2012 To 2015 Toyota Camry And Honda Accord / Blinking Check Engine Light In 1999 V6 Toyota Camry / How Well Do You Know Your Classics? #TGIF

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.