Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,150 members, 7,880,607 topics. Date: Thursday, 04 July 2024 at 10:21 PM

Why Are Headed Goals More Difficult To Save In Football? - Sports (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Why Are Headed Goals More Difficult To Save In Football? (36360 Views)

Victor Moses Donates To Save Wigan From Extinction (Photos) / Solskjaer Warns Liverpool It Will Be Difficult To Dominate Like Ferguson's Utd / The Best Save In The History Of Football (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Headed Goals More Difficult To Save In Football? by fergie001: 12:01pm On Mar 22, 2021
Kosk:

E still dey restrict your airflow, awon manure fans.
Chai....which kain meme abi gif be dis? grin cheesy
Re: Why Are Headed Goals More Difficult To Save In Football? by capitalzero: 12:02pm On Mar 22, 2021
Momentum and gravity
Re: Why Are Headed Goals More Difficult To Save In Football? by sunshineV(f): 12:02pm On Mar 22, 2021
its common sense. the keeper dont have a clue where the ball is going even the player that head the ball dont know where the ball is heading

1 Like

Re: Why Are Headed Goals More Difficult To Save In Football? by HBB1(m): 12:02pm On Mar 22, 2021
espn:
In the case of leg shots, you have to apply pressure on the ball. While in the case of header the ball is coming with a force already and you are also applying another force by heading it. It is always super fast.

So header is faster than shot?

cheesy
Re: Why Are Headed Goals More Difficult To Save In Football? by jelel6: 12:02pm On Mar 22, 2021
DesignAndBuild:
I've actually thought of the same thing myself too. And I think it's because for leg shots there is a compulsory back lift of the leg before striking the ball, and those few nanoseconds is usually enough time for the keeper to anticipate the shot and prepare for the save, while for headers there's no back lift required. The ball basically just bounces off the striker's head so no adequate time to anticipate the shot or get ready for the save. I may not be comprehensive enough though

This is as close to it as anyone could get.

And if you add the fact that headers on goal happen generally very close to the keepers or goal, it makes them more difficult overall to save.
Re: Why Are Headed Goals More Difficult To Save In Football? by HBB1(m): 12:04pm On Mar 22, 2021
Emir01:
Mostly at close range to the keeper

Na only you don talk weting get sense since!

Why dey no dey head from 42 yards?

Thank you jor!

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Headed Goals More Difficult To Save In Football? by Emperormartin(m): 12:05pm On Mar 22, 2021
Abeg who be that arsenal player with that height?
Re: Why Are Headed Goals More Difficult To Save In Football? by ENIGMATIC2023(m): 12:06pm On Mar 22, 2021
Most are unexpected
Re: Why Are Headed Goals More Difficult To Save In Football? by Nobody: 12:08pm On Mar 22, 2021
Header is more a deflection of shot to just any direction and within a split second
Re: Why Are Headed Goals More Difficult To Save In Football? by Troublemaker007(m): 12:08pm On Mar 22, 2021
ogbiwa:
Good morning people.

Having watched over a 1000 football matches, I've come to notice that headers are almost impossible to save.

I've regularly seen keepers save leg shots from point blank range, but once a striker gets a header on target, 9 times out of 10 it ends in the back of the net, even if it's from some yards out.
So why is it difficult for keepers to save headers? And yes I've checked Google but didn't get satisfactory answers.

The reason is simple bro, the keeper can’t tell the header’s direction unlike foot. The position a player stand while taking a shot shows the direction the ball will go but with header it’s impossible for the goal keeper to know which direction the ball is going. It’s more of a deflection of shot to any direction.
Re: Why Are Headed Goals More Difficult To Save In Football? by mrkings84(m): 12:09pm On Mar 22, 2021
Na head to head cos am
Re: Why Are Headed Goals More Difficult To Save In Football? by kevotek1000(m): 12:10pm On Mar 22, 2021
Even the header doesn't know the direction of the ball.
Re: Why Are Headed Goals More Difficult To Save In Football? by Ishilove: 12:17pm On Mar 22, 2021
I have nothing to say on this topic
Re: Why Are Headed Goals More Difficult To Save In Football? by Liposure: 12:17pm On Mar 22, 2021
Neddstark:
Even women love headers. It guarantees their orgasm goals grin
ohhhh! Baby
Re: Why Are Headed Goals More Difficult To Save In Football? by sergi99(m): 12:17pm On Mar 22, 2021
Most headed goals are really close to the GK, some as close as 6 yards. This leaves very little time for the GK to react.

Headed goals are also faster, as the header has less time to think and deliberate unlike shots from the foot.
Re: Why Are Headed Goals More Difficult To Save In Football? by Nobody: 12:22pm On Mar 22, 2021
Headers usually point downwards which means the ball would come at a lower level that might be soothed more for kicking
Re: Why Are Headed Goals More Difficult To Save In Football? by Patoski7(m): 12:28pm On Mar 22, 2021
slawormiir:
Damnnn niggarrrr
Isoright.....

See as all of una just dey speak English just to answer simple questions

Na now I see why we dey fail exam....

Simple answer is headed goals and deflection are the same...

If you still dey doubt...then ask tim Cahill or the flying Dutch man....robin vanpersie
I can't forget dat superb header from rvp it was really top notch

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Are Headed Goals More Difficult To Save In Football? by SmartyPants(m): 12:29pm On Mar 22, 2021
ogbiwa:
Good morning people.

Having watched over a 1000 football matches, I've come to notice that headers are almost impossible to save.

I've regularly seen keepers save leg shots from point blank range, but once a striker gets a header on target, 9 times out of 10 it ends in the back of the net, even if it's from some yards out.
So why is it difficult for keepers to save headers? And yes I've checked Google but didn't get satisfactory answers.

First of all, what is the evidence that headers are saved less frequently?

This is not how to build an argument sir.

Anyway, what you need to understand is that most headers happen very close to the goal. From the same range, a shot is more likely to go in.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Headed Goals More Difficult To Save In Football? by kayuseful: 12:30pm On Mar 22, 2021
ogbiwa:
Good morning people.

I wonder where you got your stats from because there are actually more saves from headers than goals.
I also doubt that there are more goals from headers than leg shots

Goal by headers usually looks beautiful but that's not to say they're difficult to save. If it's so, we won't have short Strikers like Gabriel Jesus, Messi, Son, Sterling, Aguero
Re: Why Are Headed Goals More Difficult To Save In Football? by femi4: 12:30pm On Mar 22, 2021
ogbiwa:
Good morning people.

It's difficult to predict the movement of the ball expecially at close range. That's why many defenders scored own goal headers
Re: Why Are Headed Goals More Difficult To Save In Football? by NwaIgboBoy(m): 12:32pm On Mar 22, 2021
because a mans head is full of fornication.
Re: Why Are Headed Goals More Difficult To Save In Football? by witworth(m): 12:34pm On Mar 22, 2021
I believe it's simply because of the close proximity to the goal line, no header can score from 30 yards the way leg shot does. So it's the short distance to the goal keeper I think, and probably the round nature of human heads. You may not be able to predict the direction of the ball even if you see the header in a twinkle of an eye. So it's still the matter of proximity. Coz a header from 30 yards for example will be seen vividly and can never be too fast or quick enough for the keeper not to see it coming.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Headed Goals More Difficult To Save In Football? by Duplexxx: 12:34pm On Mar 22, 2021
Big head score more than small head

Like that guy we used to called head of state

Oboy see head

If this guy enter field em you go run

He head big pass the ball he want to head

On that day for area i dey watched the match instead of him to head the ball he go head one guy all his teeth fell down see blood that day getting to hospital this guy died

Oboy the death pain me o
Na that day i stop playing football
Re: Why Are Headed Goals More Difficult To Save In Football? by davillian(m): 12:34pm On Mar 22, 2021
The keepers can't anticipate were the ball is going to....
Re: Why Are Headed Goals More Difficult To Save In Football? by majamajic(m): 12:35pm On Mar 22, 2021
Pierocash:
Heading is faster ,sharper and quicker than foot shots.

Have watched football before ?
Re: Why Are Headed Goals More Difficult To Save In Football? by nengibo: 12:37pm On Mar 22, 2021
Headed goals are usually closer to the goal post(higher Xg) add also the difficulty for the keeper to predict the path

1 Like

Re: Why Are Headed Goals More Difficult To Save In Football? by smartoliver(m): 12:39pm On Mar 22, 2021
How na, oga.. Just temme how? grin
Pierocash:
Re: Why Are Headed Goals More Difficult To Save In Football? by malakaimoscondo: 12:40pm On Mar 22, 2021
Pierocash:
not sir...it because a goal keeper most time rarely can guest correctly the side the header direct the ball to.....it normally happen very close to the goal keeper not like shot from out the box
Re: Why Are Headed Goals More Difficult To Save In Football? by Kenog4real(m): 12:41pm On Mar 22, 2021
Heading a ball can be likened to a deflection which is why hard to save. That's my little take.
Re: Why Are Headed Goals More Difficult To Save In Football? by MikkieEl: 12:42pm On Mar 22, 2021
ogbiwa:
Good morning people.

Dem nor dey catch goal wink cheesy
Re: Why Are Headed Goals More Difficult To Save In Football? by plot697: 12:45pm On Mar 22, 2021
Most headings revolve in semicircles making it difficult for goal keepers to save. As they dive to save, the ball rolls farther away from them as a result of the header flinging his head
Re: Why Are Headed Goals More Difficult To Save In Football? by Lamasta(m): 12:45pm On Mar 22, 2021
ogbiwa:
Good morning people.

Most times it is unexpected and before keepers could calculate direction of the ball its already at the back of the net in most cases while few are actually saved when the keeper quickly detects rhe direction of the ball...My one cent tho

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Anthony Nwakaeme: Nigerian Player Giving Paralysed European Hope To Keep Living / Rwandan Striker Removes Charm From Goal Post & He Finally Scores!(Video) / Man Utd Offered Two Juventus Players Plus Cash For Lukaku Transfer (sun)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.