Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,183,370 members, 7,920,418 topics. Date: Wednesday, 14 August 2024 at 06:46 AM

Hijab Controversy: An Appeal To Common Sense - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Hijab Controversy: An Appeal To Common Sense (989 Views)

Bad Roads In Ogun State: An Appeal To Governor Dapo Abiodun / How To Resolve The Hijab Controversy By Farooq A. Kperogi / NDDC Board Controversy, An Embarrassment To President Buhari- Idahosa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Hijab Controversy: An Appeal To Common Sense by NoSentiment: 4:09pm On Mar 25, 2021
For several years, the controversy between Muslims and Christians over the issue of the rights of Muslim students to wear hijab or veil has refused to go away.

The Christians have often maintained a position: that Muslim students who attend former missionary schools cannot wear veils or hijab in these schools supposedly because Hijab/veil is a symbol of Islam.

On another hand, Muslims have argued that because these former missionary schools have been nationalized by the federal government and are in receipt of monetary grants from it, they have a right to wear Hijab since the federal constitution permits the freedom to practice one religion as one deems fit as enshrined in section 38(1) of the Nigerian constitution.
Now the question is, what harm does Muslim students’ wearing of Hijab cause to Christian? The answer is none. Does the Muslim students have a constitutional right to wear Hijab/veils? Yes, they do!

But, what makes the Christians tick? Does Hijab wearing go against the Christian faith? No, quite the contrary, several Biblical verses, like Quranic verses, talks about Hijab or the veil although the majority of Christian women violate these Biblical injunctions just to follow the self-serving teaching of Paul that the law is gone with the prophets. In point of fact, Christ taught that:

“Do not think that I came to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I did not come to abolish, but to fulfill. (Matthew 5:17).

Now, as a Christian man or woman, whenever you want to oppose the use of Hijab by Muslim ladies, just get a chilled coke, grab your Bible, sit down and relax a bit before looking and reading up the following verses:

Evidence 1:

Genesis 24 64-66. (New International Version (NIV)

64 Rebekah also looked up and saw Isaac. She got down from her camel

65 and asked the servant, “Who is that man in the field coming to meet us?”

“He is my master,” the servant answered. So she took her veil and covered herself.

66 Then the servant told Isaac all he had done.

67 Isaac brought her into the tent of his mother Sarah, and he married Rebekah. So she became his wife, and he loved her; and Isaac was comforted after his mother’s death.

Evidence 2:

1 Corinthians 11. (King James Version)

5-6 But every woman that prayeth or prophesieth with her head uncovered dishonoureth her head: for that is even all one as if she were shaven . 6[b] For if the woman be not covered[/b] , let her also be shorn : but if it be a shame for a woman to be shorn or shaven , let her be covered .

10 For this cause ought the woman to have power on her head because of the angels.

13 Judge in yourselves : is it comely that a woman pray unto God uncovered?

1 Corinthians 11 (New Revised Standard)

Evidence 3:

5 but any woman who prays or prophesies with her head unveiled disgraces her head—it is one and the same thing as having her head shaved. 6[b] For if a woman will not veil herself, then she should cut off her hai[/b]r; but if it is disgraceful for a woman to have her hair cut off or to be shaved, she should wear a veil.

10 For this reason a woman ought to have a symbol of authority on her head, because of the angels

13 Judge for yourselves: is it proper for a woman to pray to God with her head unveiled?

Evidence 4:

Deuteronomy 22:5 (ASV)
A woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment; for whosoever doeth these things is an abomination unto Jehovah thy God.

So, why do Christians oppose something even their holy book recommend or Marry herself wore? I am sincerely curious!

1 Like

Re: Hijab Controversy: An Appeal To Common Sense by lamentor78(m): 4:29pm On Mar 25, 2021
You people like quoting Bible something you don't understand, did Mohammed mentioned it in his Quran that Muslim girls should attend Christian schools and wear hijab

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Hijab Controversy: An Appeal To Common Sense by duro4chang(m): 4:30pm On Mar 25, 2021
There are muslims schools in Ilorin, muslims can go there and leave mission schools. As far as I am concerned my chidren cannot attend any school that has muslim name . If they do, then whatever I meet there, I have to accept.

10 Likes

Re: Hijab Controversy: An Appeal To Common Sense by FatherCHRlSTMAS: 4:35pm On Mar 25, 2021
NoSentiment:

So, why do Christians oppose something even their holy book recommend or Marry herself wore? I am sincerely curious!

your moniker reads "no sentiments" but your topic is that of a religious fanatic. You purposely pretended and started your topic as if you were speaking from a neutral ground but from the second paragraph, your mask betrayed you and exposed you for the clown you are.

God is not an author of confusion
Don't quote Bible passages to support your moronic acts and ill-fettered thoughts

6 Likes

Re: Hijab Controversy: An Appeal To Common Sense by lamentor78(m): 4:35pm On Mar 25, 2021
I know their hope is that one day government will take over mission schools like Caristas, Convenant, Redeemer , Landmark so that they can start wearing their useless hijab there,

They will never procure license and build there own school but they can marry 4 wives bunch of idiots

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Hijab Controversy: An Appeal To Common Sense by ProphetAjasco: 4:36pm On Mar 25, 2021
I see, I saw......... I see that there is no sense in this post and there will never be....

So I have seen and So shall it be.

1 Like

Re: Hijab Controversy: An Appeal To Common Sense by ivolt: 4:42pm On Mar 25, 2021
The headline is different from body.
This is a sentimental and emotional appeal, not common sense.
The government has the right to set school uniform for the schools it owns, that is the only common sense argument.
Re: Hijab Controversy: An Appeal To Common Sense by FatherCHRlSTMAS: 4:44pm On Mar 25, 2021
ivolt:
The headline is different from body.
This is a sentimental and emotional approach.
Naa so Dem dey do. Good enough many of us read no matter how long the content may be.
Re: Hijab Controversy: An Appeal To Common Sense by GuyWise101(m): 4:52pm On Mar 25, 2021
Nna mehnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

Religion is disturbing Nigerians and making us look foolish........
Re: Hijab Controversy: An Appeal To Common Sense by tit(f): 5:00pm On Mar 25, 2021
MURIC,
Give to pharaoh what belongs to pharoah
Re: Hijab Controversy: An Appeal To Common Sense by CodeTemplar: 5:20pm On Mar 25, 2021
No Muslim will accept interpretation of Quran from non Muslim.

4 Likes

Re: Hijab Controversy: An Appeal To Common Sense by adadike(f): 5:26pm On Mar 25, 2021
Instead for you to appeal for peace on both side, you are here vomiting trash and making matters worse

1 Like

Re: Hijab Controversy: An Appeal To Common Sense by NnadyAutos: 5:27pm On Mar 25, 2021
Don't the school have uniform?, If it has all the students regardless of their religion, should wear the school uniform, if this is done, the problem of uniform will then be half solved.If there's no uniform, every student should be allowed to put wears according to her choice.

1 Like

Re: Hijab Controversy: An Appeal To Common Sense by ablejesus26(m): 5:32pm On Mar 25, 2021
Op you are somewhat off by a mile .
the main issue is not the logic of wearing hijab in terms of religious beliefs.

It's more of decorum in the school environment.

If you admonish Muslims to wear hijab,then IFA worshipers should also dress their kids in their attire .

Cele worshipers too should follow suit

I really don't understand the kind of brains on the head of Nigerian leaders.

others are thinking of how to prepare kids for the future,others are creating techs.

while our on problem is hijab ,hijab for crying out loud.

na who do us this kind thing sef

1 Like

Re: Hijab Controversy: An Appeal To Common Sense by Muna4real(f): 6:11pm On Mar 25, 2021
NoSentiment:
For several years, the controversy between Muslims and Christians over the issue of the rights of Muslim students to wear hijab or veil has refused to go away.

The Christians have often maintained a position: that Muslim students who attend former missionary schools cannot wear veils or hijab in these schools supposedly because Hijab/veil is a symbol of Islam.

On another hand, Muslims have argued that because these former missionary schools have been nationalized by the federal government and are in receipt of monetary grants from it, they have a right to wear Hijab since the federal constitution permits the freedom to practice one religion as one deems fit as enshrined in section 38(1) of the Nigerian constitution.
Now the question is, what harm does Muslim students’ wearing of Hijab cause to Christian? The answer is none. Does the Muslim students have a constitutional right to wear Hijab/veils? Yes, they do!

But, what makes the Christians tick? Does Hijab wearing go against the Christian faith? No, quite the contrary, several Biblical verses, like Quranic verses, talks about Hijab or the veil although the majority of Christian women violate these Biblical injunctions just to follow the self-serving teaching of Paul that the law is gone with the prophets. In point of fact, Christ taught that:

“Do not think that I came to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I did not come to abolish, but to fulfill. (Matthew 5:17).

Now, as a Christian man or woman, whenever you want to oppose the use of Hijab by Muslim ladies, just get a chilled coke, grab your Bible, sit down and relax a bit before looking and reading up the following verses:

Evidence 1:

“He is my master,” the servant answered. So she took her veil and covered herself.

67 Isaac brought her into the tent of his mother Sarah, and he married Rebekah. So she became his wife, and he loved her; and Isaac was comforted after his mother’s death.

Evidence 2:

5-6 But every woman that prayeth or prophesieth with her head uncovered dishonoureth her head: for that is even all one as if she were shaven . 6[b] For if the woman be not covered[/b] , let her also be shorn : but if it be a shame for a woman to be shorn or shaven , let her be covered .

10 For this cause ought the woman to have power on her head because of the angels.

Evidence 3:

5 but any woman who prays or prophesies with her head unveiled disgraces her head—it is one and the same thing as having her head shaved. 6[b] For if a woman will not veil herself, then she should cut off her hai[/b]r; but if it is disgraceful for a woman to have her hair cut off or to be shaved, she should wear a veil.

10 For this reason a woman ought to have a symbol of authority on her head, because of the angels

13 Judge for yourselves: is it proper for a woman to pray to God with her head unveiled?

Evidence 4:

A woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment; for whosoever doeth these things is an abomination unto Jehovah thy God.

Your arguments are baseless. I don't know why you guys like quoting a Bible you don't understand. Let me break it down for you.

Evidence 1: This is trash. It's a good thing you quoted from where Rebecca looked up and saw isaac. Which means, she wasn't wearing veil before saw isaac. It is on record that in the Jewish traditions, a bride must be vieled even to the wedding night. That is how they do it and we christains do this on weddings. Now the question I would like to ask is Are these muslim girls getting married in the school? Are their husbands there? Are they spending the wedding night there? If no,then why compare Rebecca to your muslim girls?

Evidence 2: Rubbish. Don't christains ( some) wear coverings on their hair when praying? It's good you mentioned prayers and prohesying too.[b] Are your muslim ladies going to school to pray and prophesy? [/b]Sometimes I wonder how you guys think.

Evidence 3: The same as no 2

Evidence 4: Are the girls from the mission schools wearing anything partaining to men? Where your muslim girls forced to wear clothes partaining to men?

The Jewish men also put on viels on their heads sometimes. Since you have decided to compare yourself to the jews, your boys should also wear veils. Mtchew!

2 Likes

Re: Hijab Controversy: An Appeal To Common Sense by NoSentiment: 6:30pm On Mar 25, 2021
With due respect, you are talking nonsense, Sir.

Where does the bible say it is when women are getting married that they should cover themselves? Gimme the verse!

Where does the Bible say women should be dressing the way most xtians do today by wearing the apparel of men and vice versa?

On issues of tithe you are quick to quote the old testament to justify ur fraud, why do u shy away from basing evidence on it when it concerns morals and the other laws which Jesus said he is not come to abrogate but to fulfil?

Does the dress code of the mother of Jesus, Mary, resemble that of the xtians of today?

Muna4real:

Your arguments are baseless. I don't know why you guys like quoting a Bible you don't understand. Let me break it down for you.

Evidence 1: This is trash. It's a good thing you quoted from where Rebecca looked up and saw isaac. Which means, she wasn't wearing veil before saw isaac. It is on record that in the Jewish traditions, a bride must be vieled even to the wedding night. That is how they do it and we christains do this on weddings. Now the question I would like to ask is Are these muslim girls getting married in the school? Are their husbands there? Are they spending the wedding night there? If no,then why compare Rebecca to your muslim girls?

Evidence 2: Rubbish. Don't christains ( some) wear coverings on their hair when praying? It's good you mentioned prayers and prohesying too.[b] Are your muslim ladies going to school to pray and prophesy? [/b]Sometimes I wonder how you guys think.

Evidence 3: The same as no 2

Evidence 4: Are the girls from the mission schools wearing anything partaining to men? Where your muslim girls forced to wear clothes partaining to men?

The Jewish men also put on viels on their heads sometimes. Since you have decided to compare yourself to the jews, your boys should also wear veils. Mtchew!
Re: Hijab Controversy: An Appeal To Common Sense by Jostoman: 7:14pm On Mar 25, 2021
Governor of kwara state is fighting with lying Muhammed tactics is not working for APC in Kwara they quickly change their tactics to hijab controversy to deceive Kwara state people to like them before election in 2023 but a lot of people did not know.
Re: Hijab Controversy: An Appeal To Common Sense by NoSentiment: 7:20pm On Mar 25, 2021
You can teach us here so that we can understand. By the way I am religiously unaffiliated.

lamentor78:
You people like quoting Bible something you don't understand, did Mohammed mentioned it in his Quran that Muslim girls should attend Christian schools and wear hijab
Re: Hijab Controversy: An Appeal To Common Sense by Muna4real(f): 7:41pm On Mar 25, 2021
NoSentiment:
With due respect, you are talking nonsense, Sir.

Where does the bible say it is when women are getting married that they should cover themselves? Gimme the verse!

Where does the Bible say women should be dressing the way most xtians do today by wearing the apparel of men and vice versa?

On issues of tithe you are quick to quote the old testament to justify ur fraud, why do u shy away from basing evidence on it when it concerns morals and the other laws which Jesus said he is not come to abrogate but to fulfil?

Does the dress code of the mother of Jesus, Mary, resemble that of the xtians of today?

First of all, I am not a sir.

Secondly, I never said that veils should only be worn in weddings. You cited a scripture relating to weeding or marriage and i explained that it is in the Jewish custom ( and many other customs and traditions of the world) to wear veils during the weeding ceremonies even up to the wedding night. They don't wear veils all the time. Comparing Rachael weeding veil to the ordinary veils muslims wear is foolishness. You can wear a viel to the wedding but not the school.

It's obvious you didn't read my write up. We are talking about the busy-body of muslims who leave their muslim schools to disturb schools built and maintained by christains for so many years. Those mission schools never told them to wear the apparel of men. This has got nothing to do with christains paying tithe. You have to obey the rules in our schools.

FYI: We won't dress like Mary. We are not Jews. Even the present day jews don't dress like that. We cover our hair when it's required to.

1 Like

Re: Hijab Controversy: An Appeal To Common Sense by Muna4real(f): 7:49pm On Mar 25, 2021
Op, it's important that you read and understand the scriptures before making a claim. You don't just pick up a verse, come to Nairaland, and start making noise. You have to understand events, incidences, customs and traditions, religion and laws of the olden days jews before you begin to quote.
Re: Hijab Controversy: An Appeal To Common Sense by NoSentiment: 8:53pm On Mar 25, 2021
These are also muslims, right? If u cant obey clear cut Bible verses by covering ur head all the time, or veiling then do it but u cant impose your crooked understanding on other xtians.

Muna4real:

Secondly, I never said that veils should only be worn in weddings. You cited a scripture relating to weeding or marriage and i explained that it is in the Jewish custom ( and many other customs and traditions of the world) to wear veils during the weeding ceremonies even up to the wedding night. They don't wear veils all the time. Comparing Rachael weeding veil to the ordinary veils muslims wear is foolishness. You can wear a viel to the wedding but not the school.

It's obvious you didn't read my write up. We are talking about the busy-body of muslims who leave their muslim schools to disturb schools built and maintained by christains for so many years. Those mission schools never told them to wear the apparel of men. This has got nothing to do with christains paying tithe. You have to obey the rules in our schools.

FYI: We won't dress like Mary. We are not Jews. Even the present day jews don't dress like that. We cover our hair when it's required to.

Re: Hijab Controversy: An Appeal To Common Sense by Muna4real(f): 9:05pm On Mar 25, 2021
NoSentiment:
These are also muslims, right? If u cant obey clear cut Bible verses by covering ur head all the time, or veiling then do it but u cant impose your crooked understanding on other xtians.

What part of my explanations don't you understand? Did the bible say we should wear veils all the time?

Those nuns you posted there have their special school where they attend before becoming a nun. They don't go to muslim schools to disturb. The bible urges women to cover their heads during prayers and in the places of worship. Since these catholic sisters are always working in the church, they adopted a special uniform for themselves alone. Isn't this explanation simple enough?

1 Like

Re: Hijab Controversy: An Appeal To Common Sense by adekolaelect(m): 9:40pm On Mar 25, 2021
lamentor78:
humm Religions sentiment and fanatic has removed peoples sense of reasoning .Is wearing Hijab against Christianity or your hatred to Islam makes you ignorant of what Bible says?
Re: Hijab Controversy: An Appeal To Common Sense by adekolaelect(m): 9:51pm On Mar 25, 2021
Muna4real:

Remove that hatred in you to activate your good sense of reasoning. wearing Hijad or veils both means female covering their head. Now Is covering head against your Christianity doctrines and Biblical or you are just proving all this just to satisfying your hatred Egos to Islam? In the other side any government own ministry of schools can not be arrogated to any Religion , you stopping female student from wearing Hijab means you have violated their human right .
Re: Hijab Controversy: An Appeal To Common Sense by Muna4real(f): 10:00pm On Mar 25, 2021
adekolaelect:
Remove that hatred in you to activate your good sense of reasoning. wearing Hijad or veils both means female covering their head. Now Is covering head against your Christianity doctrines and Biblical or you are just proving all this just to satisfying your hatred Egos to Islam?

There is no hatred here. He is quoting a Bible he doesn't understand. You can't quote a part of the holy book I read almost everyday for your religious benefit and expect me to keep quiet. The bible gave specific occasions for wearing hijab and that is what we follow. Period.
Re: Hijab Controversy: An Appeal To Common Sense by adekolaelect(m): 10:10pm On Mar 25, 2021
Muna4real:

There is no hatred here. He is quoting a Bible he doesn't understand. You can't quote a part of the holy book I read almost everyday for your religious benefit and expect me to keep quiet. The bible gave specific occasions for wearing hijab and that is what we follow. Period.
you can't Chang what is writing in the bible to shoot your Egos. wearing of Hijab is legal in both Christianity and Islam. Why is it now take you soon much strength to classifying when to where Hijab ? You don't have point .
Re: Hijab Controversy: An Appeal To Common Sense by Owopariola: 10:14pm On Mar 25, 2021
At least, Non-native religions should be banned in Nigeria.

Jesus and Mohammed don't even know Yoruba, Igbo or Hausa were existing in one jungle while they were alive.

They don't care if our forefathers were somewhere struggling to make ends meet. Yet we're here abusing each other for some useless religions from the desert that don't know anything or made mention of Yoruba, Igbo, or Hausa in any of their storybooks.

Haba?! is Hijab the new Pythagoras theorem? or non wearing Hijab will make our students come up with a new relativity theory
Re: Hijab Controversy: An Appeal To Common Sense by Muna4real(f): 10:23pm On Mar 25, 2021
adekolaelect:
you can't Chang what is writing in the bible to shoot your Egos. wearing of Hijab is legal in both Christianity and Islam. Why is it now take you soon much strength to classifying when to where Hijab ? You don't have point .

There is nothing to be changed there. No hijab in our schools. Period.
Re: Hijab Controversy: An Appeal To Common Sense by Validated: 11:09pm On Mar 25, 2021
Muslims have Ansar-uddeen schools. Why pursuing after Christian schools? Have you guys ever asked yourselves why Christians do not attend muslim schools? You people should begin to go to church on Sundsys too if you are not proud of what your religion offer. Why pretend?
Like someone said, would MTN staff wear Airtel or Glo logo to MTN office and be proving stubborn when asked to go and change?
Re: Hijab Controversy: An Appeal To Common Sense by Nobody: 11:14pm On Mar 25, 2021
NoSentiment:

Evidence 1:

Evidence 2:

Evidence 3:

Evidence 4:

Because a bomb can be easily hidden in a Hajib to blow up unsuspecting students.

That veil is a security risk.
Re: Hijab Controversy: An Appeal To Common Sense by edoairways: 1:34am On Mar 26, 2021
NoSentiment when next you quote a Bible verse, quote the whole chapter instead of skipping some. You skipped verse 1-,4 ,14 and 15 of 1 Corinthians 11.
Because verses 14 knock out your argument on hjab to start with. To further knock you out, the verses you quoted admonished women to cover their hair when praying and prophesying. Meaning a woman can leave her hair open as long she want provided she is not praying. A woman's hair is her glory shouldn't be covered except when praying or prophesying. Islam orders women to cover their hair at all times unless when they are in the presence of their siblings and indoor. So if the Bible says a woman's hair is her glory, certainly, no sane person would want to cover such glory. Why did you skip this verse of the bible?☹️☹️☹️.
To answer the verse you quoted about fulfillment of the law, let's see what Jesus meant in Matthew 5:17.
The Law was a large body of rules and regulations given to Israel through Moses, which was summed up in the moral principles of the 10 Commandments. It could not provide Salvation but was God's tool to reveal our sinfulness, to bring us to repentance and to point us to Christ - our sinless-Saviour and kinsman-Redeemer.
Adam's sin in the garden placed all men under the curse of death, and God gave the Law to a tiny segment of humanity to demonstrate to a fallen world the sinful nature within the heart of every man. To break one part of God's perfect Law was to fail in every aspect, and Israel's miserable failure pronounced all men guilty before a holy God, and the wages of sin is death - eternal separation from our heavenly Father and spiritual death for the soul of every man.
God is holy and God is righteous and God demands that full payment for our sinfulness is made - and the wages of sin is death. Humankind is a race of guilty sinners but God in His love and grace gave His only begotten Son to be born as 'Jesus' - Messiah of Israel and Saviour of the world. The eternal Son of God became the incarnate Son of Man, to become the single Substitute for sin - for a race of condemned sinners.
Jesus was born under the Law, lived a sinless life under the Law and by His life and death, met every single demand of God's holy Law. Jesus did not come to abolish the Law but to fulfill its righteous requirements - and He became the only Man who met its perfect demands - qualifying Him to become our sin-Substitute.. our kinsman-Redeemer.
Jesus was the one and only Man who met the legal demands of God's Law - fully satisfying its righteous requirements on our behalf. NO, Jesus did not come to abolish the Law - Jesus came to fulfil the Law, and this He did through His sinless life - and He did this on behalf of you and me - and for all who believe on His name. Jesus willingly chose to pay the enormous price of sin.. for you and for me, so that all who believe in Him are no longer under the curse of the Law, but under God's gift of grace.(.... See this for more information : https://dailyverse.knowing-jesus.com/matthew-5-17. .. .. ) . So how does this eve relate to the issue of hjab to start with?.
Lastly, that picture you had seen about Mary putting on veil isn't the real picture. ( To avoid unnecessary argument with some sect, I didn't go deep on this).
Re: Hijab Controversy: An Appeal To Common Sense by edoairways: 1:38am On Mar 26, 2021
adekolaelect:
The bible never mandated Christians to wear hijab. That some Christians choose to dress that way doesn't mean that it is mandatory.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Who Are The Ghosts That Looted $600 Billion Since 1960? / Why So Much Tribal War On Nairaland / Explosion Hit Portharcourt Market, Imo Custom Boss Killed And More Hmm!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 109
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.