Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,127 members, 7,887,258 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 05:00 AM

Finally! Wole Soyinka Speaks On The Elections~2011 Elections Was Flawed - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Finally! Wole Soyinka Speaks On The Elections~2011 Elections Was Flawed (1565 Views)

How Elections Was Rigged In The North By An ADHOC Staff.photo / 5 Reasons Why I Think Postponing The Elections Was A Smart Move / Nigeria Elections 2011 And The Rest Of Us- www.nigeriaelections.org (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Finally! Wole Soyinka Speaks On The Elections~2011 Elections Was Flawed by kcjazz(m): 3:18am On Apr 16, 2011
I saw a thread asking about Wole Soyinka's statement on the "Rigmarole" elections, well maybe the Journalists got the message and did the interview. Enjoy!

How do you see the political campaigns for the 2011 general elections? Are they issue-based?
One is never satisfied except with the very best. Of course, there have been flaws so far but I think we will agree that the elections we’ve had so far is not 100 per cent but most people will agree that these elections have been genuine in the main and in any case, where there are flaws, the system as I have seen it is that it makes the work of tribunals easier when there are appeals so I don’t despair either flaws here and there because the system has the various checks and balances and the possibilities of redressing where there has been foul play. Those possibilities exist now whereas they were like climbing Mount Everest without spikes under previous dispensations. Just to summarize, we have an election this time, which from all I see does not actually stop at the polling booth. In other words, that the structure which is there is there definitely gives anybody who has been cheated a fair chance to have the result reversed.

The postponement of the National Assembly elections by INEC was unexpected. Do you think it was as a result of inefficiency?
It’s as a result of backlog of rot. The only fault at the door of the new electoral commission including its leader was over-optimism; underestimation of rot that had been inserted into the political system by the former government of this nation. It is not an issue of the Nigerian factor. No! It is an issue of a factor of a monster which ruled this nation for eight years and deliberately corrupted the system because that particular president wanted to prolong his stay permanently forever, wanted to become the Mugabe of Nigeria and in this very selfish, very egotistical and unconscionable manner, destroyed civil political society in a way which even the military failed to do when they were in power and this is supposed to be democratic. Now Jega underestimated the damage, which had been done to the infrastructures; the procurement processes; he failed to recognize the seriousness of the level to which the system had been bastardized. So, I don’t call it inefficiency. Just call it over-generosity for his predecessors. He just didn’t believe they were capable of so much damage to the system.

From the results so far released, we see PDP losing the South West to ACN. What do you think caused the upheaval?
I don’t want to go into that in great detail but let’s just say may be what people are overlooking is that the party which has sort of transformed itself into ACN today never really lost the West. It was just cheated as many, many candidates were cheated all over the nation. What we are witnessing really is to a large extent a restoration of the political truth within the system and the people have awakened and they have seen their opportunity in taking back what rightfully should never have left them in the first place and I’m not talking of the South West alone. No, not at all. We’ve seen it happen all over the country. In other words, we’ve seen a political restoration to what things really should have been.

How do you assess the Jonathan presidency?
As I said, I don ‘t want to go into details. I don’t believe very much in negative campaigning for instance. I think what we need to see now is to encourage all the candidates and to assist them in putting their best foot forward so that the electorate can actually see what it is that they will do; how they will execute such positive projects on behalf of the nation but having said that, infact, I don’t like to deal with personalities. I would like to deal with parties. I’m totally implacable in my position that the governing party, the PDP of this nation has failed this nation abysmal and that it is in the interest of this nation to get rid of the PDP government and allow others to show what they are capable. So, it is not an issue of personalities. It is an issue of this time really to get rid of the ruling party. Their failures have been monumental.

SOURCE:http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/news/national/2011/apr/16/national-16-04-2011-005.htm
Re: Finally! Wole Soyinka Speaks On The Elections~2011 Elections Was Flawed by kcjazz(m): 3:19am On Apr 16, 2011
Lengthy interview so had to copy and paste, please read the rest on The Sun
Re: Finally! Wole Soyinka Speaks On The Elections~2011 Elections Was Flawed by recoome(m): 3:47am On Apr 16, 2011
This man is a stupid & shameless pig, Nigeria has not yet been able to recover from the cultism which he pioneered in universities and is now ravaging the entire system, yet he has the nerves to comment on national issues, he should tell us how to solve the cultism problem before commenting on the nation, it's only in a country like ours that criminals are left to roam the streets with freedom, when he should be rotting im kirikiri with that his irritating beard !
Re: Finally! Wole Soyinka Speaks On The Elections~2011 Elections Was Flawed by PhysicsRND(m): 4:14am On Apr 16, 2011
recoome:

This man is a silly & shameless pig, Nigeria has not yet been able to recover from the cultism which he pioneered in universities and is now ravaging the entire system, yet he has the nerves to comment on national issues, he should tell us how to solve the cultism problem before commenting on the nation, it's only in a country like ours that criminals are left to roam the streets with freedom, when he should be rotting im kirikiri with that his irritating beard !

Are you okay?
Re: Finally! Wole Soyinka Speaks On The Elections~2011 Elections Was Flawed by doublekay: 4:20am On Apr 16, 2011
recoome:

This man is a silly & shameless pig, Nigeria has not yet been able to recover from the cultism which he pioneered in universities and is now ravaging the entire system, yet he has the nerves to comment on national issues, he should tell us how to solve the cultism problem before commenting on the nation, it's only in a country like ours that criminals are left to roam the streets with freedom, when he should be rotting im kirikiri with that his irritating beard !
can you hear your self ?
Re: Finally! Wole Soyinka Speaks On The Elections~2011 Elections Was Flawed by AljUche: 4:29am On Apr 16, 2011
recoome:

mumu this man is more respected than jonathan all over the world

take it or leave it
Re: Finally! Wole Soyinka Speaks On The Elections~2011 Elections Was Flawed by tantayu(m): 4:54am On Apr 16, 2011
Ignorance is the worst ailment that could assail a man, its the most difficult to cure.
Re: Finally! Wole Soyinka Speaks On The Elections~2011 Elections Was Flawed by Ymodulus: 4:55am On Apr 16, 2011
recoome:

in reply to the boded your father is the bastard silly pig. My problem with nigeruan authorities is letting mad dogs have access to net. I blive u should be from d north. Illiterate
Re: Finally! Wole Soyinka Speaks On The Elections~2011 Elections Was Flawed by AljUche: 4:56am On Apr 16, 2011
Ymodulus:

in reply to the boded your father is the naughty person silly pig. My problem with nigeruan authorities is letting mad dogs have access to net. I blive u should be from d north. Illiterate

he is igbo
Re: Finally! Wole Soyinka Speaks On The Elections~2011 Elections Was Flawed by apoti(m): 7:28am On Apr 16, 2011
Ymodulus:

in reply to the boded your father is the naughty person silly pig. My problem with nigeruan authorities is letting mad dogs have access to net. I blive u should be from d north. Illiterate

bros easy grin, you know his fingers are usually faster than his brain cheesy
Re: Finally! Wole Soyinka Speaks On The Elections~2011 Elections Was Flawed by Coolabbie: 7:40am On Apr 16, 2011
recoome:

Oniranu. Oloshi. Must u always display ur cretinism in every thread.
Re: Finally! Wole Soyinka Speaks On The Elections~2011 Elections Was Flawed by Nobody: 9:50am On Apr 16, 2011
As I said, I don ‘t want to go into details. I don’t believe very much in negative campaigning for instance. I think what we need to see now is to encourage all the candidates and to assist them in putting their best foot forward so that the electorate can actually see what it is that they will do; how they will execute such positive projects on behalf of the nation but having said that, infact, I don’t like to deal with personalities. I would like to deal with parties. I’m totally implacable in my position that the governing party, the PDP of this nation has failed this nation abysmal and that it is in the interest of this nation to get rid of the PDP government and allow others to show what they are capable. So, it is not an issue of personalities. It is an issue of this time really to get rid of the ruling party. Their failures have been monumental.

why is anyone surprised at the response of the pdp acolytes

that is their MO

expect to see WS derogated as as the father of cultism , enemy of the state , etal if he says anything against the gej presidencey

deceit and hypocrisy are the only constants in team gej
Re: Finally! Wole Soyinka Speaks On The Elections~2011 Elections Was Flawed by Nobody: 9:55am On Apr 16, 2011
How do you assess the quality of presidential aspirants for the 2011 elections?
All of them have negatives and positives because there are human beings and those who have been in office before are naturally far more exposed, you know their blemishes and flaws than those who have not had a stand in office. I’m not going to go into individual assessments here beyond that general remark. I just want to say to people that[b] it is not so much an issue of personalities as policies and ideologies which are adhered to and which are expressed in the action by some of the aspirants and frankly, it is time to do away with the past to really strike out a new and different direction[/b]. I keep saying to youths, not that I glamourize them or romanticize them.

Some youths are a little bit sometimes even more corrupt than the aged and so on but there comes a moment in a nation’s life when an opportunity comes to strike in a completely new direction and I keep reminding youth that look, you are over 50 per cent of the electorate of this nation, so why don ‘t you take a risk, invest in the possibilities of serious, genuine change especially when those possibilities are backed by past record.

Just turn in a completely new direction. I make no bones to the fact that I’m solidly behind the candidate of somebody like Nuhu Ribadu simply because he represents what I call the watershed possibilities of change and change in a positive way because of his past record when he held office as a public officer, how he acquitted himself there and also because of my personal knowledge of him. One thing, which I want to stress here, is that that pernicious, opportunistic and totally corrupt political arrangement called zoning is absolutely dead. The word zoning has always been an obscenity in a nation like this. There are certain countries with certain histories where you can talk about zoning being an arrangement for harmony; for egalitarian distribution and participation of power and so on. That situation does not apply in this country and those who mouth zoning, zoning are just political opportunists who have their own private agenda.

One good thing about this election is that zoning has been not just killed but has been interred with an iron stick driven through its heart and electorate should just completely forget all about zoning and go for the most likely candidate to provide that positive change that is needed in the country.
Re: Finally! Wole Soyinka Speaks On The Elections~2011 Elections Was Flawed by Eziachi: 10:13am On Apr 16, 2011
recoome:

Yes!
Are really ok?
I think someone should call you an ambulance.
Re: Finally! Wole Soyinka Speaks On The Elections~2011 Elections Was Flawed by Nobody: 10:19am On Apr 16, 2011
You travel round the world, is Nigeria’s image better in the international community than it was may be, eight years ago?
I don’t think the image has improved. Between governance and 419ners, I’m afraid the Nigerian image has not been improving lately

Controversy trailed the imprisonment of Chief Bode George and his thanksgiving after release. What do you make of the whole drama?
I don’t really want to talk about that matter it’s just that I think those who run the affairs of this country; who are supposed to set moral examples; who are looked up to should be a lot more circumspect about the way they try to turn convicted individuals into heroes. This is what we saw in the public acclamation accorded to Bode George when he came out of prison. Naturally, he is not somebody I admire politically. His record in governance and under the military is nothing to speak about and I do know a lot about that. At the same time, as a human being who has undergone this travail, I sympathise with him. I think that he has a right to go to a church or wherever he worships and thank the Almighty and his family for having survived the ordeal. Beyond that, it becomes public obscenity when the president sends representatives. Things like that set very, very bad example but then in this nation, villainy is always rewarded.

Do you think Nigeria is winning the war on corruption or the situation is worse?
We have seen the example in the public rehabilitation of a convicted individual. We’ve heard of certain moves being made to try and obtain pardon for other individuals. I believe that plea-bargaining which resolved certain trials of corrupt governors as a two-edged sword. Whenever you confess to some of your deeds, you give back some of the looted money and then, you are given a small slap on the wrist. I see it as a two-edged sword. On the one hand, I cannot condemn it outright because you begin to save yourself the labour of prosecuting, spending time and with the possibility of the accused getting away on technicalities. So, there are positive aspects to plea-bargaining but if it is overused, then people get to develop a frame of mind because they say, well, instead of stealing 100, I will steal 1000 and then when I’m aught, I will plea bargain with 500 and I just go in for a few months. It is a very dangerous thing. I don’t want to be pontifical about it.

I know the difficulties and tortuous ways of legalisms but I think examples need to be made. We are not just talking of material corruption; we are talking of political corruption. For me, the deprivation of human beings – citizens of their rights even ranks higher in my view than material corruption because there, you are reducing your fellow human beings to ciphers; to zombies in their own society. You are robbing them of their civic dignity and our failure to punish vigorously political corruption also feeds materials corruption because when people are politically corrupt, they want to get to office so that they can be materially corrupt and they use the proceeds of materials corruption to perpetuate themselves in office and the vicious cycle goes on. So I would like to see a far more vigorous way of dealing with those who have been proven to be politically corrupt in this nation.

How do you assess the Jonathan presidency?
Re: Finally! Wole Soyinka Speaks On The Elections~2011 Elections Was Flawed by Nobody: 10:22am On Apr 16, 2011
2011 elections flawed—Soyinka
By EMERSON GOBERT, JR.
Saturday, April 16, 2011
• Prof Wole Soyinka
Photo: Sun News Publishing
More Stories on This Section

Nobel Laureate, Professor Wole Soyinka has taken a critical look at the Nigerian polity especially the current general elections and the war against corruption.
Soyinka, who spoke exclusively to [b]Saturday Sun early in the week, [/b]also gave insight into the political crises in the Margreb, Middle East and Cote d’Ivoire, submitting that Laurent Gbagbo would have conceded to popular reasoning if he wasn’t a monster.

i wonder why they took so long to publish the interview lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

can't have national icons casting doubt on fresh air in the 11th hour, can we?
Re: Finally! Wole Soyinka Speaks On The Elections~2011 Elections Was Flawed by 2n2k(m): 10:28am On Apr 16, 2011
WS agreed that the election may not be perfect but better organised and transparent in such a way that anybody who feel cheated can easily prove his case at the tribunal. Dont mind Sun's misleading headline.
Re: Finally! Wole Soyinka Speaks On The Elections~2011 Elections Was Flawed by biachwest: 10:38am On Apr 16, 2011
Wole soyinka waited till the last minutes before he expose his insigth on the nass elections.why?.
because he dont want to flip flop?.
We recognice his personalities as a well respected person but beside that he should prove his intelegencies at most when it is needed.
Dont wait to gather ingredients from other peoples insigth before you pour out urs insigth to public.
that is called expo grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Finally! Wole Soyinka Speaks On The Elections~2011 Elections Was Flawed by switch47(m): 10:52am On Apr 16, 2011
Nice& great words from the prof!
Re: Finally! Wole Soyinka Speaks On The Elections~2011 Elections Was Flawed by dempeople(m): 11:44am On Apr 16, 2011
recoome:

You're very silly. Learn to articulate and think before you contribute your skewed trash.
Re: Finally! Wole Soyinka Speaks On The Elections~2011 Elections Was Flawed by Dede1(m): 1:32pm On Apr 16, 2011
Alj Uche:

he is igbo

You are being more than a fool for posting this nonsense. It is only in a cesspit such as Nigeria that a mere noble prize laureate could not be subjected to any form of criticisms.
Re: Finally! Wole Soyinka Speaks On The Elections~2011 Elections Was Flawed by Kobojunkie: 1:37pm On Apr 16, 2011
biachwest:

Wole soyinka waited till the last minutes before he expose his insigth on the nass elections.why?.
because he dont want to flip flop?.
We recognice his personalities as a well respected person but beside that he should prove his intelegencies at most when it is needed.
Dont wait to gather ingredients from other peoples insigth before you pour out urs insigth to public.
that is called expo grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

From the talk, the interview took place the day after the NASS election but SunNews Sat on it awhile!
Re: Finally! Wole Soyinka Speaks On The Elections~2011 Elections Was Flawed by Antiscam1: 2:19pm On Apr 16, 2011
Dede1:

You are being more than a fool for posting this nonsense. It is only in a cesspit such as Nigeria that a mere noble prize laureate could not be subjected to any form of criticisms.
Yes!it is a mere noble prize laureate,but how many of your past,present & future generations has won one!
did i hear u say NONE,den u are a customised illiterate!
Re: Finally! Wole Soyinka Speaks On The Elections~2011 Elections Was Flawed by Natasha2(f): 2:23pm On Apr 16, 2011
Dede1:

huh//? did I hear you say mere?? shocked
Re: Finally! Wole Soyinka Speaks On The Elections~2011 Elections Was Flawed by cap28: 10:24pm On Apr 17, 2011
Wole Soyinka is one of the few remaining decent nigerians left in that country. As for GEJ and his criminal cohorts i wish them luck their day of reckoning is at hand.

(1) (Reply)

Akwa Ibom: Still Tackling The Problems Of Child Witch / News Report: Ojukwu’s Will Generates Tension / Gov. Akpabio Barred From Aso Rock

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.