Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,179,222 members, 7,907,326 topics. Date: Thursday, 01 August 2024 at 08:20 AM

Is God Really Against Taking Alcohol Or Just Against Excess Of It? - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is God Really Against Taking Alcohol Or Just Against Excess Of It? (26470 Views)

Is Marrying A Non Christian Really Against Christiandom? / 7 Reasons Why Christians Should Stop Taking Alcohol / Is Taking Alcohol Responsibly A Sin ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is God Really Against Taking Alcohol Or Just Against Excess Of It? by PAQ(m): 11:32am On Mar 28, 2021
John 2:1-11, Jesus Christs first miracle was turning water to wine at a wedding for people to celebrate and merry.

If alcohol was forbidden he would have left water in its pure form. People would have still drank and quenched their thirst, but a celebration is not about quenching thirst.

Wine is defined; an alcoholic drink made from fermented grape juice.

Wine is the most common alcoholic beverage mentioned in biblical literature, where it is a source of symbolism, and was an important part of daily life in biblical times.
Re: Is God Really Against Taking Alcohol Or Just Against Excess Of It? by cares22: 11:32am On Mar 28, 2021
afroxyz:

In that case, God approves of weed smoking and homosexuality since the countries you mentioned are legalizing it

Your comment is a clear indication that, God is not so much involved in the process of our choices as a man. We all know what is right to do per time but because we are always concern about what people will say make us to always look hypocritically for supposed God's validation for our misdemeanor cool

My bro, if those above mentioned countries could frown at "driving under influence" but not against consumption of alcohol and other vices that has been stereotyped abnormal then, we should both agree that our drunkenness doesn't affect God in anyway but ourselves and our environment hence no need to seek his validation for indulgence.

I hope my point is clearer.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is God Really Against Taking Alcohol Or Just Against Excess Of It? by sckulboy: 11:37am On Mar 28, 2021
ictjobber:

Why aren't we asking real questions like Why hasn't God rescued Leah from Boko Haram's den despite all the prayers from concerned Nigerians and Christains worldwide ??

My we all know that they are playing politics and
religion
Re: Is God Really Against Taking Alcohol Or Just Against Excess Of It? by cares22: 11:40am On Mar 28, 2021
illicit:

We are talking about Bible, you are talking about US Constitution

Oga, does God forbid it or not, it's a simple question an illiterate can answer

Keep your Epistles, be guided

Thank u, pls don't mention....

God is less concerned about naysaying.....

Drink if you want but leave God out of it!

Inferiority complex kee you there.
Re: Is God Really Against Taking Alcohol Or Just Against Excess Of It? by illicit(m): 11:43am On Mar 28, 2021
cares22:

God is less concerned about naysaying.....
Drink if you want but leave God out of it!
Inferiority complex kee you there.
If u don't want to drink, don't drink....

leave God out of it

Delusional grandeur kill u there
Re: Is God Really Against Taking Alcohol Or Just Against Excess Of It? by sckulboy: 11:43am On Mar 28, 2021
Skipperrabiu:
allah says in baqara chapter 2 verse 196 that do not streghten ur heart to what may cause your own destruction and for that taking any form of alcohol or gogoro is haram islamicaly this shows how qur'an is supperior than everything on earth for taking in everything as a form of alcohol, drugs or syrups with the intention of getting high could lead to ur ow destruction imagine how bible permit drinking alcohol mtww this dumb its only the blinds will eptimone christanity for it a way of destruction , u still have time to repent for verinly islam is the way of life

is dis a Muslim page? and you will fell bad when they say rubbish of your religion

1 Like

Re: Is God Really Against Taking Alcohol Or Just Against Excess Of It? by Nobody: 11:44am On Mar 28, 2021
CodeTemplar:
In a book filled with analogies meant to communicate the intangible to us, wine is used often to represent the Spirit. New wine in new bottle analogy for example told us about the Holy Spirit in a renewed or born again man.

I love this your mental gymnastics. It's very hilarious.
Re: Is God Really Against Taking Alcohol Or Just Against Excess Of It? by Duplexxx: 11:45am On Mar 28, 2021
Is not all you read you most believe
Re: Is God Really Against Taking Alcohol Or Just Against Excess Of It? by Farid24224(m): 11:46am On Mar 28, 2021
afroxyz:

This is now a sin too? Oh lawd!

I never said its one puto!!
Re: Is God Really Against Taking Alcohol Or Just Against Excess Of It? by shadrach77: 11:57am On Mar 28, 2021
Whenever this debate comes up, two questions which people need to ask themselves is this;
1. Who created alcohol ?
2. Why did He create alcohol?

If you are able to answer those two questions, you'll realise God is not against drinking but against getting drunk

1 Like

Re: Is God Really Against Taking Alcohol Or Just Against Excess Of It? by 2felix(m): 12:01pm On Mar 28, 2021
Juliusmalema:

I am not a muslim and have no intention of becoming a terrorist in future.

Thanks.

Ewoo
Counter revolution
Re: Is God Really Against Taking Alcohol Or Just Against Excess Of It? by Vivian16: 12:04pm On Mar 28, 2021
Pastor Righteouness please come and clarify me on this matter
Re: Is God Really Against Taking Alcohol Or Just Against Excess Of It? by Trogge: 12:05pm On Mar 28, 2021
mediaX:
At the last supper, wine was used, the apostles drank. At the wedding feast at Canaan wine also was used, the guests drank. As a matter of fact, born from proven historical Jewish study, wine formed an integral part of merriment in ancient Jewish culture, a culture the messiah was king of. And those who argue that wine doesn't in all cases mean 'alcoholic wine' are ignorant. Cause wine in itself, and the reason it is called wine in the first instance is due to 'fermentation'. If fermentation didn't take place it is not wine, it is probably fresh juice. And it is fallacy 'petitio principii' to say wine is destructive simply because it is alcoholic; that's like saying 'Timolol' eyedrop should not be used by glaucoma patients to reduce intra-ocular eye pressure; or 'Chloramphenicol' should not be applied to the eye to treat conjunctivitis, cause both contain deliberate levels of alcohol. Need I mention Jesus and his Jewish heritage drank wine for cultural reasons, as it formed a huge part of their culture at the time. Do your research, back in time.

Let me digress a bit, so many things can impair judgement, not only alcohol. Prolonged hunger and self denial of food (total deprival) by itself could impair consciousness and any sane human's judgement yet fasting is never termed sin in christian scripture. Gluttony also is sin when you look at it, as detailed by christian scripture, but not the food in itself, rather the inordinate attachment to food and the greed that fuels such attachment.
Man can get attached to anything, when the usage is abused. And any inordinate attachment is a violation of the freedom of the will, that is what makes it sin. You no longer hold direct control over your decisions. The same way most people are addicted to hustling for money that they neglect time for their children and family: that is sin.

Again, have you wondered why there are different doses for children, adults and pregnant women on medical prescriptions? That goes to tell you that equal measurements do not impact equally in people's bodies. There are no one-size-fit-all definition of tolerance, as tolerance levels differ from individual to individual. 5 pints might make Enoch drunk, but it would require 8 to make Chris and David drunk. So technically Enoch gets the refreshment and no loss of consciousness so long he doesn't go beyond his body limit. And if Enoch does that twice in a month that's beautiful. Self mastery is a skill to be learned, and can be learned, but the underlying virtue is self discipline.

The medication you get at hospitals, contain significant bits of alcohol, and in some painkillers and relaxants you'll find 'clinical marijuana'. Tramadol is a pain killer, many pastors take them after their vigorous all night deliverance service, but in prescribed medical dosage, or possibly overdose, they won't tell you, would they? Codeine which is a potent syrup for cough can utterly cause one to discombobulate when overdosed on it. So you can see two sides of a coin.

The biblical scripture says ' if your hand (wine) shall cause you to sin, cut it off'. Now "if" is a conditional statement, meaning it may cause some to sin (drunkenness) and may not cause some to sin. I am not you, you are not me. The fact that apostle Peter cut off the servant's ear doesn't mean every man would have done same. The fact that peter denied Jesus 3 times doesn't mean every man in the exact same circumstance would have done same. The fact that David slept with another man's wife doesn't mean every man would have done same. The fact say smell of drink dey high you, nor mean say e dey high me, as a matter of fact I reflect better and have more constructive thoughts after a bottle or two. I am not you, you are not me. Your weaknesses are not my weaknesses. As a matter of reality, your weaknesses may be my strength.

For those living in Lagos, you insult people almost everyday in buses, traffic, when driving and when outsmarted. So technically, the intense Lagos life causes you to sin, so kindly leave Lagos please!

For those living in Nigeria, the fraud government causes you to call your leaders bastards. This is sin, and a continual sin because Nigeria's situation would continue to make you call them bastards, so kindly leave Nigeria please!

This thread is funny, there is a condition called 'over hydration', also called 'water intoxication' resulting from drinking too much water. It causes drowsiness and confusion. It is deadly as it causes electrolyte imbalance. So does this mean don't drink water? Hell no.
... Well spoken.. there are times I need to make a decision and my head is not making sense, all I need is a bottle of gin. And all the emotions are down, am now faced with reality.
Re: Is God Really Against Taking Alcohol Or Just Against Excess Of It? by Judolisco(m): 12:17pm On Mar 28, 2021
preciousmetals:
If you drink you will not have holy spirit in you, can you please explain to us how holy spirit you like, acting holier than Pope, black man mentality
I'm not asking you not to drink oga... Christianity is not by force... Christ ask us to choose between good and bad, also d wide and d narrow way... U are at liberty to drink all you want
Re: Is God Really Against Taking Alcohol Or Just Against Excess Of It? by Judolisco(m): 12:19pm On Mar 28, 2021
Kebbiprince:

Assistant jesus. Meanwhile jesus turned water to wine tongue
OK we have alcoholic and non-alcoholic wine... If that's what u want to hold unto to drink no wahala
Re: Is God Really Against Taking Alcohol Or Just Against Excess Of It? by Judolisco(m): 12:19pm On Mar 28, 2021
illicit:

What about Jesus
jesus drank alcohol?
Re: Is God Really Against Taking Alcohol Or Just Against Excess Of It? by JAMO4REAL1(m): 12:22pm On Mar 28, 2021
hummm God will save us
Re: Is God Really Against Taking Alcohol Or Just Against Excess Of It? by LeeSantos(m): 12:25pm On Mar 28, 2021
tuna85:
God is definitely against drinking alcohol whether in small or large quantity. Those who got addicted today started small, now you can see a decline in their health and all, same as bet9ja.

it just like saying God want to deal with you for your sin wether big or small. those who killed others today stated from small. So God should k'll you before you grow big.

una go just come here dey misquote scripture and be saying what God Didn't say like you were once his special adviser

1 Like

Re: Is God Really Against Taking Alcohol Or Just Against Excess Of It? by illicit(m): 12:26pm On Mar 28, 2021
Judolisco:
jesus drank alcohol?

Yes, severally....
Re: Is God Really Against Taking Alcohol Or Just Against Excess Of It? by Adekunlegold9ja: 12:41pm On Mar 28, 2021
Alcohol is addictive
Re: Is God Really Against Taking Alcohol Or Just Against Excess Of It? by Emperorlanky: 12:41pm On Mar 28, 2021
ictjobber:

Why aren't we asking real questions like Why hasn't God rescued Leah from Boko Haram's den despite all the prayers from concerned Nigerians and Christains worldwide ??

Answer: Luke 12:4, even if you are not a Christian, just read the answer there.
Re: Is God Really Against Taking Alcohol Or Just Against Excess Of It? by wealthpreach(m): 12:55pm On Mar 28, 2021
CodeTemplar:
Define the excess level you are talking about first. To know your limit, you have to be drunk. So I Don think God supports alcohol intake for recreational purposes.
support with a verse.
Re: Is God Really Against Taking Alcohol Or Just Against Excess Of It? by wealthpreach(m): 12:56pm On Mar 28, 2021
CodeTemplar:
In a book filled with analogies meant to communicate the intangible to us, wine is used often to represent the Spirit. New wine in new bottle analogy for example told us about the Holy Spirit in a renewed or born again man.
The spirit was shared in the wedding. Stf u
Re: Is God Really Against Taking Alcohol Or Just Against Excess Of It? by wealthpreach(m): 12:58pm On Mar 28, 2021
tuna85:
God is definitely against drinking alcohol whether in small or large quantity. Those who got addicted today started small, now you can see a decline in their health and all, same as bet9ja.
support with a verse, bigot!
Re: Is God Really Against Taking Alcohol Or Just Against Excess Of It? by olaodun: 12:58pm On Mar 28, 2021
On the Issue of Alcohol. the Bible forbids it totally for Xtians . Book of Proverbs has many chapters condemning and the Bible made us to know that our body is the temple of Holy Ghost, Also show me a man that takes drinks in moderation he cannot be a devoted Xtian he will just be a nominal xtan and alcohol has other twin sisters such as fornication, adultery and smoking It is very safe and good to totally avoid it , has no benefit and it kills cells in the system. Not food or water now dont waste money on alcohol
Re: Is God Really Against Taking Alcohol Or Just Against Excess Of It? by Kebbiprince: 1:01pm On Mar 28, 2021
Judolisco:
OK we have alcoholic and non-alcoholic wine... If that's what u want to hold unto to drink no wahala
Wine = alcohol

What you call non alcoholic wine is actually a fruit juice
Re: Is God Really Against Taking Alcohol Or Just Against Excess Of It? by wealthpreach(m): 1:09pm On Mar 28, 2021
Judolisco:
Those that drink look for excuses... U can't have d holy spirit in you and u will drink alcohol
Support with a verse. You don't lie? You don't do all sorts of sin? Do they keep the holy spirit in you? It's now alcohol that would take away the holy spirit. Thank God I don't have your type around me, I for purge you of your bigotry.
Re: Is God Really Against Taking Alcohol Or Just Against Excess Of It? by Teymanhenry(f): 1:10pm On Mar 28, 2021
Simply put, taking alcohol is not a sin. we all take alcohol via food, carbonated drinks, etc. It was the doctrines set by some churches that laid emphasis on alcohol. If Jesus turned water into wine, who art thou to say taking wine is a sin?
Re: Is God Really Against Taking Alcohol Or Just Against Excess Of It? by Judolisco(m): 1:11pm On Mar 28, 2021
Kebbiprince:

Wine = alcohol

What you call non alcoholic wine is actually a fruit juice
and what u call alcohol is fermented fruit juice... Arbi u don't know fermentation again?
Re: Is God Really Against Taking Alcohol Or Just Against Excess Of It? by BERNIMOORE: 1:12pm On Mar 28, 2021
LeeSantos:

it just like saying God want to deal with you for your sin wether big or small. those who killed others today stated from small. So God should k'll you before you grow big.

una go just come here dey misquote scripture and be saying what God Didn't say like you were once his special adviser
this comment got my rib cracking hard.... grin grin
Re: Is God Really Against Taking Alcohol Or Just Against Excess Of It? by Judolisco(m): 1:13pm On Mar 28, 2021
wealthpreach:

Support with a verse. You don't lie? You don't do all sorts of sin? Do they keep the holy spirit in you? It's now alcohol that would take away the holy spirit. Thank God I don't have your type around me, I for purge you of your bigotry.
Proverbs 20:1 - Wine is a mocker, strong drink is raging: and whosoever is deceived thereby is not wise.
If u need more I can help u out sir Mr purger
Re: Is God Really Against Taking Alcohol Or Just Against Excess Of It? by Nobody: 1:19pm On Mar 28, 2021
There is nothing wrong with alcohol but then there is also everything wrong with alcohol.
If alcohol was OK, mother of Samsom, John the baptist and Jesus would not be asked not to take it

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Prophet Joshua Iginla Exposes Plans By Pastors To Frame Him Up For Murder / RCCG Sells A Bag Of Rice At N9k To Their Members In Abuja / The Meaning Of I Will Prepare A table Before You In The Presence Of Your Enemies

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.