Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,182,738 members, 7,918,282 topics. Date: Monday, 12 August 2024 at 07:39 AM

Relocating To Uk - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Relocating To Uk (8424 Views)

Relocating To Canada Or Germany With 18 Million Naira. / Relocating To Bahamas / Relocating To Ghana: Kumasi Or Accra Please Advice (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Relocating To Uk by henro757: 6:36pm On Apr 02, 2021
amrichy:

if you go fit lap me for plane, i no mind to follow you o. I'm fed up with this country too. There is poverty, crime, corruption, lawlessness and hopelessness every where you look.
imagine that how to get common 36k to renew my rent is what has been giving me serious headache for the past 2 weeks now (i'll be grateful if you're ready to help)! When our leaders are there stealing billions.
if you are smart, hardworking and law-abiding i believe you'll be very fine anywhere in UK. You dont really need any heads-up.

I so agree with you bross, however by the grace of God, I already have a head start as I get right to be there, so I got few weeks or month to plan my japa!I nor get time for trial and error, U dey feel me?
Re: Relocating To Uk by henro757: 6:38pm On Apr 02, 2021
Lexusgs430:

Having free accommodation (to start with), would be a very pleasant foundation, and ensures a softer landing.......
COrrect, I really wish I could have this but at the moment it doesn't look likely as I really do not have any close friends up there..However, Im trying to rake up some cash for at least two months rent o be week hotel and rent deposit and rent. Im working hard to resolve this.
Re: Relocating To Uk by Lexusgs430: 6:42pm On Apr 02, 2021
henro757:

COrrect, I really wish I could have this but at the moment it doesn't look likely as I really do not have any close friends up there..However, Im trying to rake up some cash for at least two months rent o be week hotel and rent deposit and rent. Im working hard to resolve this.

If you don't get a job in 2 month's nko ó....... Rent varies from £650 - £1100 (pcm)...... Been conservative....

I expect you would be looking at the lower end...... If you have about £6000 in your pocket when you arrive, you would have a softer landing.........
Re: Relocating To Uk by henro757: 6:43pm On Apr 02, 2021
Chukwuka16:
Sometime last year, my wife and I went shopping at Sainsbury’s and we passed a couple of homeless beggars looking for “a pound please”. I looked to my wife and told her pointedly – these guys all have British passports (or can have one in weeks) but yet are homeless and beggars. Citizenship has never conferred on anyone wealth or prosperity.”

I agree that Nigeria as a country can be tough, but so is everywhere. You have to be strategic about life otherwise you will end up with a lot of regrets – despite possessing multiple citizenships.

What have you been able to achieve in Nigeria all the time you have been here? What things have you wished having access to finance would have pushed you further along or given you a breakthrough? What businesses have you tried and failed in and what lessons have been learnt? What is your life goal – survival or impact?

It is painful to see Nigerians with potentials living abroad thinking that having access to internet, stable electricity, portable water, good roads and other services is just enough for them. What is worse is that these Nigerians haven’t even been able to turn these “so called” opportunities into any significant value – they still live averagely or below averagely. Don’t be deceived with the occasional dose of great Nigerians making great strides abroad, just a few Nigerians (I mean very few) can actually boast of living comfortable in “the abroad”, MOST are just managing (but shame no go fit allow us talk true or acknowledge).

I have a lot of reservations about Nigeria but that doesn’t detract from the fact that the country offers the best opportunities for growth and wealth generation. I can bicker over forex movement and liquidity issues simply because I’m over leveraged in forex and any significant devaluation in Naira will affect my position, but that’s me and my issues. Yes, I even recently suggested liquidation of assets if things get worse, but things are looking very promising for the country based on my recent observations and the multitude of problems the country has. In fact, my positions are looking very promising with opportunities presenting themselves without much thinking – there are PROBLEMS in Nigeria and that’s your cue for opportunities.

What plans do you have for staying in the UK? Can you sort out your accommodation, feeding, transportation, effects (internet, phone and Netflix/Prime subscriptions) by yourself? Do you have significant savings to burn through for 6 months before you can stabilise? Are you ready to work in Amazon (as a warehouse operative) or as a care worker or as a salesperson for some of the large marts? How long do you intend to do this?

You have a unique advantage. Your other citizenship offers you access to cheap finance which if carefully ploughed into Nigeria can offer you significant returns – hence my asking what lessons have you learned and what experiences have you gained.

Perhaps you may want to take a break and just visit the UK for a short time (the irony considering its usually the other way around). See and observe how people live their lives on a daily basis and question yourself deeply if that’s what you want. Look around and ask lots of questions. Try and situate yourself around people working professional jobs (even if they are not in London, it’s similar experiences) and be quite frank with them. Look at their living conditions, ask questions about their expenses and their growth plans. Inquire about their regrets (if any) and above all inquire about what makes them settle for the UK as against Nigeria. I don’t want to pre-empt your conclusions, but you will be shocked by what you discover. Above all, make sure you have money to spend on dinners and lunches during those interviews. This is a fact-finding mission for you, and it will open your eyes to a lot if you have an open mind.

Lastly, try keeping your return ticket to a max of 3 weeks and don’t resign from your job (if any) in Nigeria. Take the period as unpaid leave if paid isn’t allowed. I wish you well on your next journey in life and may the good Lord guide you.
I totally agree with all that you have said however let me draw you back to when you decided to go abroad if you are there still, HOW DID YOU FEEL |THE|N? your answer would resolve the reasoning behind my decision. you are talking of unpaid leave lol they never pay us the one we work let alone leave.Let me tell you one more thing, if my president can go to the Uk for health-related issues so can I especially if I have the right to. Nigeria is no joke, life hard for the poor. The only people who are moving 4ward I n Nigeria are the Rich and sadly they are sticking to their circle, for a nobody and poor person to brake even is by GOD o wn grace.But your advice is received with gratitude sir!

1 Like

Re: Relocating To Uk by henro757: 6:45pm On Apr 02, 2021
aboyaji:
I do not think he needs a source to back this information up. You should try as much as possible learn new things. Take good counsel and listen or read intently. That's a cue he just dropped there.

Most people paint the "abroad" so beautifully that hides the reality of it.

As for me, I'd love to travel out some day, though have tried once and not approved, but I keep an open mind to information.

My friend in Turkey is planning to come back to Nigeria soon. Nothing dey for am for over 7 years in Turkey.

It's not always about traveling, what plans do you have when you do?

My cousin in Brazil has built an upstairs here in Nigeria from the proceeds of his business (yahoo) in Brazil but is cooling off in the Brazilian prison for drug trafficking as I'm typing this. I'm not for or against people's resolve or businesses but as a sane human, make good plans for yourself.

It's good to travel around the world because you will get to meet new people who'll connect you to your destination. But good planning is of importance.
Bross nor vex o hh, abeg if dem dey count abroad nor count turkey join pls, an same as Nigeria, you are talking about those countries referred to as 3rd world.Im Talking about Europe and America.

1 Like

Re: Relocating To Uk by henro757: 6:47pm On Apr 02, 2021
Limassol:

1. No it is not - he just pulled stats outta his head without any reference, and he expect people to take him seriously?

2.Turkey of all countries, what happen to other sought after immigrant destinations like US, Germany,UK, Canada and the likes? You know that's where the riches are. By the way, your friend is just an individual and his anecdotes doesn't negate the fact millions of Nigerians abroad are thankful they left Nigeria for good.

More often than not, the type of people that often lament living in abroad and go as far as discouraging others are

1.Illegal immigrants
2. Refugees
3. Asylum seekers

[b]Anyone who has a skill/education and migrate with the right papers will forever be glad with the decision they mad[/b]e as it has proven time and again to be an effort worth making for many.
I fall into this grade.Thanks for this

1 Like

Re: Relocating To Uk by henro757: 6:47pm On Apr 02, 2021
Limassol:

In your words "As for me, I'd love to travel out some day, though have tried once and not approved"

I think you are not even qualified to speak on this topic.
Bross leave am, nah who put shoe 4 leg know how E dey pain am
Re: Relocating To Uk by henro757: 6:49pm On Apr 02, 2021
justwise:

Limassol has a point but you don’t .
Thanks for your response greatly appreciated, I have been a silent follower of you for a decade, I decided to post this as soon as this bad guy here arrived

3 Likes

Re: Relocating To Uk by henro757: 6:55pm On Apr 02, 2021
Lexusgs430:

If you don't get a job in 2 month's nko ó....... Rent varies from £650 - £1100 (pcm)...... Been conservative....

I expect you would be looking at the lower end...... If you have about £6000 in your pocket when you arrive, you would have a softer landing.........
Bross I got some other heads up from a different thread, I heard that I can have a CSCS card and that takes me to construction sites to work while I find something more better to do,I was informed that I could register with multiple agencies just to keep me afloat b4 I get an Engineering Job.Im still researching on this,if nah Box room, I go start with, Im not aiming for flat or anything porch, I don't have to impress anybody
Re: Relocating To Uk by Lexusgs430: 7:05pm On Apr 02, 2021
henro757:

Bross I got some other heads up from a different thread, I heard that I can have a CSCS card and that takes me to construction sites to work while I find something more better to do,I was informed that I could register with multiple agencies just to keep me afloat b4 I get an Engineering Job.Im still researching on this,if nah Box room, I go start with, Im not aiming for flat or anything porch, I don't have to impress anybody

Anything is possible, but time factor is of the essence..... I don't think you can get a CSCS card, within 3 weeks for a JJC..........

So if one got no financial support spine, things could get rough...... Hence my financial nest response........
Re: Relocating To Uk by Lexusgs430: 7:08pm On Apr 02, 2021
henro757:

Thanks for your response greatly appreciated, I have been a silent follower of you for a decade, I decided to post this as soon as this bad guy here arrived

This only means, immigration and police would not be chasing you around........

As for survival levels, it's another kettle of fish....... cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Relocating To Uk by henro757: 7:08pm On Apr 02, 2021
Lexusgs430:

Anything is possible, but time factor is of the essence..... I don't think you can get a CSCS card, within 3 weeks for a JJC..........

So if one got no financial support spine, things could get rough...... Hence my financial nest response........
OK,cool, this is why I came here so I can prepare myself, I nor wan hear story that touch.all I need right now is to accumulate funds.
Re: Relocating To Uk by henro757: 7:09pm On Apr 02, 2021
Lexusgs430:

This only means, immigration and police would not be chasing you around........

As for survival levels, it's another kettle of fish....... cheesy
bross bross, survival ke? ahah that nah small thing he who survives 9ja can survive anywhere in Europe and in the west.I put hand for chest talk am

2 Likes

Re: Relocating To Uk by Lexusgs430: 7:10pm On Apr 02, 2021
henro757:

OK,cool, this is why I came here so I can prepare myself, I nor wan hear story that touch.all I need right now is to accumulate funds.

Exactly..... Survival funds, till you get a job and can start settling in.........

1 Like

Re: Relocating To Uk by Lexusgs430: 7:11pm On Apr 02, 2021
henro757:

bross bross, survival ke? ahah that nah small thing he who survives 9ja can survive anywhere in Europe and in the west.I put hand for chest talk am

Very true........ 9ja gives you a rugged foundation..... But you know in Nigeria, people love to dash people money.......

For UK, ẹ go hard ó........ grin

1 Like

Re: Relocating To Uk by henro757: 7:13pm On Apr 02, 2021
Lexusgs430:

Very true........ 9ja gives you a rugged foundation..... But you know in Nigeria, people love to dash people money.......

For UK, ẹ go hard ó........ grin
that is why I nor dey come beg anybody, I wan come hustle my own as a warri boy hustling dey our blood, however nah legit hustle I wan come do.
Hustle two to three years then upgrade my Engineering degree and see what happens

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Relocating To Uk by henro757: 7:15pm On Apr 02, 2021
Lexusgs430:

Exactly..... Survival funds, till you get a job and can start settling in.........
I am making provision for that as well.
Re: Relocating To Uk by Lexusgs430: 7:19pm On Apr 02, 2021
henro757:

that is why I nor dey come beg anybody, I wan come hustle my own as a warri boy hustling dey our blood, however nah legit hustle I wan come do.
Hustle two to three years then upgrade my Engineering degree and see what happens

Take each day as it comes....... Don't run ahead of your shadow......... wink

1 Like

Re: Relocating To Uk by amrichy(m): 7:20pm On Apr 02, 2021
henro757:

Bross like this, I dey sell all my shoes sef grin grin grin the money must correct by fire by force
lols. No qualms. your own case still better nah.. me no even geh shoes to sell! Still, I wish you all the best in your prospective journey abroad.

2 Likes

Re: Relocating To Uk by justwise(m): 7:42pm On Apr 02, 2021
aboyaji:
I do not think he needs a source to back this information up
. You should try as much as possible learn new things. Take good counsel and listen or read intently. That's a cue he just dropped there.

Most people paint the "abroad" so beautifully that hides the reality of it.

As for me, I'd love to travel out some day, though have tried once and not approved, but I keep an open mind to information.

My friend in Turkey is planning to come back to Nigeria soon. Nothing dey for am for over 7 years in Turkey.

It's not always about traveling, what plans do you have when you do?

My cousin in Brazil has built an upstairs here in Nigeria from the proceeds of his business (yahoo) in Brazil but is cooling off in the Brazilian prison for drug trafficking as I'm typing this. I'm not for or against people's resolve or businesses but as a sane human, make good plans for yourself.

It's good to travel around the world because you will get to meet new people who'll connect you to your destination. But good planning is of importance.

That is what i'm referring to, the comment by Chukwuka16 need to be backed up by source/evidence. You can't just jump in to claim that he doesn't need to back that up, that is what Limassol is saying.

1 Like

Re: Relocating To Uk by Nicoswit(m): 7:53pm On Apr 02, 2021
henro757:

I so agree with you bross, however by the grace of God, I already have a head start as I get right to be there, so I got few weeks or month to plan my japa!I nor get time for trial and error, U dey feel me?
Bro if your main reason for relocating is to live in a saner clime...you should consider other african countries, less travel expenses,same skin colour and you can easily set up a business that is not capital intensive
Re: Relocating To Uk by justwise(m): 7:56pm On Apr 02, 2021
henro757:

That is not entirely true, luckily you don't have to worry about immigration but without money as Lexusgs430 has being saying in a city like London..you are toast. Try any city outside London to settle until you can stand on your feet then move to London if you want.

Hotel is not a good idea, look for cheap B&B for a start until you get a job

1 Like

Re: Relocating To Uk by Regex: 8:42pm On Apr 02, 2021
justwise:
[/b]

That is not entirely true, luckily you don't have to worry about immigration but without money as Lexusgs430 has being saying in a city like London..you are toast. Try any city outside London to settle until you can stand on your feet then move to London if you want.

people no go understand what you are saying.
Re: Relocating To Uk by valcorp: 9:25pm On Apr 02, 2021
henro757:

nah coming from someone like you with 50 posts on nairaland since 2017, you are taking the biscuit man. Im asking a question and hoped to be answered by people who are living In London and have full rights.nor B those wey go Ghana Pls

If its legal relocation, you can get yourself up and running in a few months but if you're an illegal immigrant, my brother body go tell you. When people talk about hustle I laugh because its not as easy as it sounds.....
Re: Relocating To Uk by henro757: 10:01pm On Apr 02, 2021
justwise:
[/b]

yes I am taking into account all that hence Im not rushing, I received my passport only few days ago so I got mad time to plan all this even if it takes me the whole year Im doing this the passport is 10 years valid.if I got N1.5m after ticket money do you think I can survive if I can get a room for say £400?
Re: Relocating To Uk by henro757: 10:02pm On Apr 02, 2021
valcorp:

If its legal relocation, you can get yourself up and running in a few months but if you're an illegal immigrant, my brother body go tell you. When people talk about hustle I laugh because its not as easy as it sounds.....
I think you should read fru the thread bross
Re: Relocating To Uk by Lexusgs430: 10:05pm On Apr 02, 2021
henro757:

yes I am taking into account all that hence Im not rushing, I received my passport only few days ago so I got mad time to plan all this even if it takes me the whole year Im doing this the passport is 10 years valid.if I got N1.5m after ticket money do you think I can survive if I can get a room for say £400?

Going by today's rate..... That only about £1450.00 (that only 3 months worth of rent, not considering feeding and other bills) ...........

If you are lucky to get a job in 45 days..... You would be alright......

1 Like

Re: Relocating To Uk by henro757: 10:08pm On Apr 02, 2021
Lexusgs430:

Going by today's rate..... That only about £1450.00 (that only 3 months worth of rent, not considering feeding and other bills) ...........

If you are lucky to get a job in 45 days..... You would be alright......
hmmm I see what you mean.guess I will have to up that to £2k then Right I spoke to one guy few munits ago he says if I had the CSCS card I can be on site within one day. so I have to check to how long this cscs card take.if it takes a month then, I might as well derv into getting a prove licence, how long does that take?

1 Like

Re: Relocating To Uk by Lexusgs430: 10:21pm On Apr 02, 2021
henro757:

hmmm I see what you mean.guess I will have to up that to £2k then Right I spoke to one guy few munits ago he says if I had the CSCS card I can be on site within one day. so I have to check to how long this cscs card take.if it takes a month then, I might as well derv into getting a prove licence, how long does that take?

Do you mean driving licence?.....

If you already drive in Nigeria at the moment, expect to have a license in about 12 months...... You need to shake off all those nasty 9ja driving habits...... (with loads of lessons under your belt)...... grin

You do theory test first, you must pass the theory test, before you can book a practical test..... tongue

Driving lessons is about £25.00 per hour...... grin

You see how cost piles up...... cheesy

Then talk say moni no dey lagos....... cool

1 Like

Re: Relocating To Uk by henro757: 10:34pm On Apr 02, 2021
Lexusgs430:

Do you mean driving licence?.....

If you already drive in Nigeria at the moment, expect to have a license in about 12 months...... You need to shake off all those nasty 9ja driving habits...... (with loads of lessons under your belt)...... grin

You do theory test first, you must pass the theory test, before you can book a practical test..... tongue

Driving lessons is about £25.00 per hour...... grin

You see how cost piles up...... cheesy

Then talk say moni no dey lagos....... cool
I feel you bro, but I do not have to drive straight away hence I like London apparently the transport links is 24/7 I keep dreaming of Greenwich duno Y grin grin grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

424,460 Passengers Traveled Via Rail In Q1 2021 – NBS / How Long Does It Take To Get The National Id Card?? / How Can Someone Living Abroad Obtain The New E-passport?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.