Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,192,910 members, 7,949,166 topics. Date: Saturday, 14 September 2024 at 08:22 PM

ENDSARS: Hope Rises For Victims Of Police Brutality In Ogun - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / ENDSARS: Hope Rises For Victims Of Police Brutality In Ogun (148 Views)

Imo To Conduct Mass Burial For Victims Of Illegal Refinery Explosion / IGP Adamu Reacts To Stripping Of Hotel Staff, Vows To Get Justice For Victims / Time To Put An End To SARS And Police Brutality In Southern Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

ENDSARS: Hope Rises For Victims Of Police Brutality In Ogun by Shehuyinka: 7:54pm On Apr 02, 2021
FOR OVER 26 years, the family of Ayamolowo has been pursuing justice over an alleged killing of Prince Adekeye Nelson Ayamolowo by officers of the disbanded Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS).

The family had in several years petitioned the Nigeria Police Force, but all their efforts were futile because there was no positive response from the security agency before the family turned to the EndSars panel for justice.

Narrating the bitter experience the family had with the police to The ICIR, a son to the late victim, Okikiola Ayamolowo, said his father had an encounter with an officer of the Nigerian Police Force at Ijebu-Ode area of Ogun state while on his way from a visit to his mum.

Okikiola also explained that the police officer reportedly shot his father in the head, which eventually led to his death.

“While my dad, Prince Adekeye Nelson Ayamolowo was on his way back from his hometown where he had gone to visit his mum, he encountered the NPF around Ijebu Ode area, for reasons only known to the wicked and corrupt police officer, he shot my dad in the head and my dad died on the spot.

“The police officer in question ran back to the police station, abandoned his rifle and later went to the police barracks and absconded with his family, while he left another family in tears and despair.”

Okikiola, who said he was barely five years of age when the incident happened, said the family has been struggling to get justice for his deceased father for the past 26 years.

“We have been chasing and crying for justice over 26 years without any closure. Our pursuit for justice is why I and my family have approached the Ogun state judicial panel in the hopes that we may get justice and closure.

“I was barely 5 years old when the incident happened, older members of my family had reached out to the Nigeria police force at the time of the incident but the NPF was not forthcoming as you would expect a reputable organisation to,” he said.

Speaking on what the family lost financially, Okikiola said, “the financial loss is unquantifiable, starting with the destiny of a young man being cut short. He had a successful and thriving business at the time. Who knows if he would have grown to be in the financial class of Dangote and the likes today.”

He added that the untimely death of his father turned his mother, a poor widow to someone shouldering the responsibilities of four children.

“The wicked actions of the police officer also forced my mother to become a single mother to care for four children on her own. Toiling day and night to pay school fees, provide food and maintain a household.”

The story of Ayamolowo is not isolated; it reflect the experience many Nigerians go through in the hands of the security operatives. Many have been illegally arrested, detained and some even killed without getting justice.

One of such cases is that of Olaoluwa Bolarinwa. Narrating his experience, Bayo Adeshina said his brother, Bolarinwa alongside his nephew Oreoluwa Abiona, were arrested by policemen on 29th March 2020, but while Oreoluwa was released after paying the sum of N10,000, Olaoluwa was reportedly shuffled among various stations and eventually announced dead.

READ MORE HERE: https://www.icirnigeria.org/endsars-hope-rises-for-victims-of-police-brutality-in-ogun/

Re: ENDSARS: Hope Rises For Victims Of Police Brutality In Ogun by Futurehope29: 8:28pm On Apr 02, 2021
Thank God

(1) (Reply)

Adubted School Children Released / Police Assures Safety Of Lives And Property / Gunmen Kidnap Community Health Officer, Nursing Mother In Plateau State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.