Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,199,196 members, 7,970,703 topics. Date: Wednesday, 09 October 2024 at 02:03 PM

MTN Sets Record Download Speeds In South Africa, 3 Times Faster Than Nigeria - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / MTN Sets Record Download Speeds In South Africa, 3 Times Faster Than Nigeria (1222 Views)

Faster than Xender: Have You Heard of OPPO Share? / Huawei’s New Hongmeng OS Reportedly 60 Percent Faster Than Android / Google Is Releasing A New Android App To Beat Slow Internet Speeds In Africa. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

MTN Sets Record Download Speeds In South Africa, 3 Times Faster Than Nigeria by TMKsouth: 10:18pm On Apr 23, 2021
MyBroadband Insights has published its Q1 2021 Mobile Network Quality Report, showing that MTN has the best mobile network in South Africa - its home base.

The report is based on 349,575 speed tests that were performed by thousands of MyBroadband Speed Test App users across South Africa between 1 January 2021 and 31 March 2021.

The research shows that South Africa had an average mobile download speed of 33.23Mbps and an average upload speed of 12.71Mbps.

MTN had the highest average download speed at 64.29Mbps, followed by Vodacom on 32.76Mbps, Telkom on 27.83Mbps, Cell C on 20.82Mbps and Rain on 10.58Mbps.

MyBroadband Insights said that MTN’s exceptional performance is a result of R50-billion (N1,25-billion) infrastructure investment over the past five years to extend coverage, improve network quality, and increase speeds.

“What makes the improved network performances particularly interesting is that it was possible despite a significant increase in traffic.

Nigeria

While data from MTN Nigeria is difficult to find online, the website Broadband SpeedChecker ranks MTN as number 1 from 74 operators in the country. The website reports MTN's current average download speeds in Nigeria at 19 Mbps.

However, another online report by rival SpeedTest shows MTN download speeds at similar levels around 18.70 Mbps, but with Airtel ranking higher with a score of 27.18Mbps on modern chipsets. These are results for Q1 of 2021.

Re: MTN Sets Record Download Speeds In South Africa, 3 Times Faster Than Nigeria by kevapet: 10:21pm On Apr 23, 2021
Dude we know, ok? We already know Nigeria is doomed. No electricity, no water(yet there's a minister that's always dressed in cow regalia for that), no housing policy(you can just wake up anyday anytime and start building new slums and nothing will happen), internet connection is slow AF, buffers virtually seconds on vidcal and dwnld at 5k/s. I just don't know where to run to, ayaf taya already.

4 Likes

Re: MTN Sets Record Download Speeds In South Africa, 3 Times Faster Than Nigeria by Elvictor: 10:23pm On Apr 23, 2021
we are aware that no good thing comes out of Nigeria apart from the human beings there...
Re: MTN Sets Record Download Speeds In South Africa, 3 Times Faster Than Nigeria by Acjohn(m): 10:25pm On Apr 23, 2021
NCC seems not to be up and doing considering how much we pay
Re: MTN Sets Record Download Speeds In South Africa, 3 Times Faster Than Nigeria by FarahAideed: 10:28pm On Apr 23, 2021
Acjohn:

How much do you pay?

1 Like

Re: MTN Sets Record Download Speeds In South Africa, 3 Times Faster Than Nigeria by kevapet: 10:31pm On Apr 23, 2021
Acjohn:
Up and doing so you can leave quota system behind abi? grin Kolewerk we'll rather all remain in 1886.
Re: MTN Sets Record Download Speeds In South Africa, 3 Times Faster Than Nigeria by TMKsouth: 10:48pm On Apr 23, 2021
kevapet:
Dude we know, ok? We already know Nigeria is doomed. No electricity, no water(yet there's a minister that's always dressed in cow regalia for that), no housing policy(you can just wake up anyday anytime and start building new slums and nothing will happen), internet connection is slow AF, buffers virtually seconds on vidcal and dwnld at 5k/s. I just don't know where to run to, ayaf taya already.

Don't give up hope, man. You sound deflated. I think MTN as a business is always looking to upgrade its services in all the markets it serves, so things should improve in Nigeria too. The government has to play its part too and I guess that's what's frustrating you the most. Stay strong.
Re: MTN Sets Record Download Speeds In South Africa, 3 Times Faster Than Nigeria by Draslo(m): 10:51pm On Apr 23, 2021
But Nigeria is their biggest market. angry Same with Multichoice. Nigeria is also their biggest market but we get the worst service. DStv keeps showing us adverts of unending promotions but it's exclusively available to South Africans.
Re: MTN Sets Record Download Speeds In South Africa, 3 Times Faster Than Nigeria by kevapet: 11:08pm On Apr 23, 2021
TMKsouth:

Don't give up hope, man. You sound deflated. I think MTN as a business is always looking to upgrade its services in all the markets it serves, so things should improve in Nigeria too. The government has to play its part too and I guess that's what's frustrating you the most. Stay strong.
Don't give up on nijeriya? I long did. Why shouldn't i give up on islamic republic using me to uphold their republic while lying to me we are a secular country. Thank you bro, i have a new home which i hope and pray westenrn influenced culture, developed nations like South Africa and other Southern nations will recognise once declared. This present Nigeria belong to the sahel folks influenced by rather arab. Democracy and it's dividend is totally an haram to them so we need to leave it behind for you. You lots must support us all in our quest for freedom or else you'll keep witnessing more influx of Nigerians in y'all country. Tell that to Cyril.
Re: MTN Sets Record Download Speeds In South Africa, 3 Times Faster Than Nigeria by kevapet: 11:09pm On Apr 23, 2021
Draslo:
But Nigeria is their biggest market. angry Same with Multichoice. Nigeria is also their biggest market but we get the worst service. DStv keeps showing us adverts of unending promotions but it's exclusively available to South Africans.
Shey na dem say make your country dey unregulated abi? Una never sabi.

1 Like

Re: MTN Sets Record Download Speeds In South Africa, 3 Times Faster Than Nigeria by bhella10: 11:11pm On Apr 23, 2021
Least of Nigeria problem is MTN download speed. Who still uses MTN to browse anyway?.
Re: MTN Sets Record Download Speeds In South Africa, 3 Times Faster Than Nigeria by yungchop: 11:11pm On Apr 23, 2021
TMKsouth:
MyBroadband Insights has published its Q1 2021 Mobile Network Quality Report, showing that MTN has the best mobile network in South Africa - its home base.

The report is based on 349,575 speed tests that were performed by thousands of MyBroadband Speed Test App users across South Africa between 1 January 2021 and 31 March 2021.

The research shows that South Africa had an average mobile download speed of 33.23Mbps and an average upload speed of 12.71Mbps.

MTN had the highest average download speed at 64.29Mbps, followed by Vodacom on 32.76Mbps, Telkom on 27.83Mbps, Cell C on 20.82Mbps and Rain on 10.58Mbps.

MyBroadband Insights said that MTN’s exceptional performance is a result of R50-billion (N1,25-billion) infrastructure investment over the past five years to extend coverage, improve network quality, and increase speeds.

“What makes the improved network performances particularly interesting is that it was possible despite a significant increase in traffic.

Nigeria

While data from MTN Nigeria is difficult to find online, the website Broadband SpeedChecker ranks MTN as number 1 from 74 operators in the country. The website reports MTN's current average download speeds in Nigeria at 19 Mbps.

However, another online report by rival SpeedTest shows MTN download speeds at similar levels around 18.70 Mbps, but with Airtel ranking higher with a score of 27.18Mbps on modern chipsets. These are results for Q1 of 2021.

bruh, you need to stop reminding us that we are doomed as Nigerians, please. thanks for understanding.
Re: MTN Sets Record Download Speeds In South Africa, 3 Times Faster Than Nigeria by Nbotee(m): 11:16pm On Apr 23, 2021
Wen I read all the morons shouting 5G upandan during during lockdown I jus felt ashamed.. Nigeria dat is still managing a 4G dat can't compete with a 3.5G speed in any other developed country and some mo.rons believed floating 5G was responsible for covid in the country

2 Likes

Re: MTN Sets Record Download Speeds In South Africa, 3 Times Faster Than Nigeria by TMKsouth: 11:20pm On Apr 23, 2021
kevapet:
Don't give up on nijeriya? I long did. Why shouldn't i give up on islamic republic using me to uphold their republic while lying to me we are a secular country. Thank you bro, i have a new home which i hope and pray westenrn influenced culture, developed nations like South Africa and other Southern nations will recognise once declared. This present Nigeria belong to the sahel folks influenced by rather arab. Democracy and it's dividend is totally an haram to them so we need to leave it behind for you. You lots must support us all in our quest for freedom or else you'll keep witnessing more influx of Nigerians in y'all country. Tell that to Cyril.

Talking about Cyril, I always wonder what's SA's position on Biafra and other secessionist movements in Nigeria. Do you maybe know?

I know SA is one of the foremost supporters of independence for Western Sahara from Morocco. I'm not sure about South Sudan breaking away from Sudan.

But obviously, a break up of Nigeria is great for us politically, but bad economically as we have interests there and a large market.
Re: MTN Sets Record Download Speeds In South Africa, 3 Times Faster Than Nigeria by kevapet: 11:36pm On Apr 23, 2021
TMKsouth:

Talking about Cyril, I always wonder what's SA's position on Biafra and other secessionist movements in Nigeria. Do you maybe know?

I know SA is one of the foremost supporters of independence for Western Sahara from Morocco. I'm not sure about South Sudan breaking away from Sudan.

But obviously, a break up of Nigeria is great for us politically, but bad economically as we have interests there and a large market.
The best Cyril can do is to support the break away countries for the interest of SA, same as Ghana. If you two fail to then i pity your country in advance cuz it will get to a point where Nigerians would be competing in population with you in your own country. That's how bad it is and how bad it will get. Talking about SA interest, they all located in the South(freedom seeking part) so it's safe. The name of the two new country to join AU soon are Oduduwa, Biafra. That's it.
Re: MTN Sets Record Download Speeds In South Africa, 3 Times Faster Than Nigeria by TMKsouth: 11:47pm On Apr 23, 2021
kevapet:
The best Cyril can do is to support the break away countries for the interest of SA, same as Ghana. If you two fail to then i pity your country in advance cuz it will get to a point where Nigerians would be competing in population with you in your own country. That's how bad it is and how bad it will get. Talking about SA interest, they all located in the South(freedom seeking part) so it's safe. The name of the two new country to join AU soon are Oduduwa, Biafra. That's it.

Interesting. Will read up on this. But I think Cyril and Buhari get along very well. Maybe Zuma would have been the guy.
Re: MTN Sets Record Download Speeds In South Africa, 3 Times Faster Than Nigeria by chatinent: 11:54pm On Apr 23, 2021
What's a Nigeria, please?
Re: MTN Sets Record Download Speeds In South Africa, 3 Times Faster Than Nigeria by kevapet: 11:58pm On Apr 23, 2021
TMKsouth:

Interesting. Will read up on this. But I think Cyril and Buhari get along very well. Maybe Zuma would have been the guy.
Cyril getting well with Buhari is no problem. All he needs is to see things the right way, to know what is not and what is as he's presently seeing it from a stranger view. We'll get the education across to all. From SA to Ghana to Kenya. They will see and learn the truth. It will get to them all. Very very soon.

1 Like

Re: MTN Sets Record Download Speeds In South Africa, 3 Times Faster Than Nigeria by TMKsouth: 10:38am On Apr 24, 2021
yungchop:

bruh, you need to stop reminding us that we are doomed as Nigerians, please. thanks for understanding.

No harm intended.
Re: MTN Sets Record Download Speeds In South Africa, 3 Times Faster Than Nigeria by edoairways: 4:38pm On Apr 24, 2021
TMKsouth:

MTN Nigeria is not ready yet.
Re: MTN Sets Record Download Speeds In South Africa, 3 Times Faster Than Nigeria by TMKsouth: 4:42pm On Apr 24, 2021
edoairways:

I'd like to know why u say that.
Re: MTN Sets Record Download Speeds In South Africa, 3 Times Faster Than Nigeria by edoairways: 4:43pm On Apr 24, 2021
I haven't never experience this speed on any network in Nigeria (18.70 Mbps)
Re: MTN Sets Record Download Speeds In South Africa, 3 Times Faster Than Nigeria by AfriqueDuZuid: 8:08am On Apr 26, 2021
Draslo:

Nigeria is not DSTV biggest market,

South Africa is, grin grin
Re: MTN Sets Record Download Speeds In South Africa, 3 Times Faster Than Nigeria by Kunja2: 8:29am On Apr 26, 2021
TMKsouth:

Nigeria

funny enough this speedtest for Nigeria is audio. I average atleast 2mbps on MTN anytime I wanna download.
Re: MTN Sets Record Download Speeds In South Africa, 3 Times Faster Than Nigeria by Kunja2: 8:30am On Apr 26, 2021
edoairways:

I'll rather say Nigeria isn't ready yet, cos MTN would be like what's their business, provided they're making their money
Re: MTN Sets Record Download Speeds In South Africa, 3 Times Faster Than Nigeria by TMKsouth: 9:03am On Apr 26, 2021
Kunja2:
funny enough this speedtest for Nigeria is audio. I average atleast 2mbps on MTN anytime I wanna download.

shocked shocked Whoa, maybe someone else knows why this is the case, maybe it's because of your remote location or type of phone, coz 2MB is super slow.
Re: MTN Sets Record Download Speeds In South Africa, 3 Times Faster Than Nigeria by edoairways: 11:13am On Apr 26, 2021
Kunja2:
I'll rather say Nigeria isn't ready yet, cos MTN would be like what's their business, provided they're making their money
Exactly
Re: MTN Sets Record Download Speeds In South Africa, 3 Times Faster Than Nigeria by Kunja2: 11:22am On Apr 26, 2021
TMKsouth:

shocked shocked Whoa, maybe someone else knows why this is the case, maybe it's because of your remote location or type of phone, coz 2MB is super slow.
well, you've seen it now. But it's not the phone cos while I was using a Xiaomi device one time it was even slower. I think it's just the service provider or my location probably.

1 Like

Re: MTN Sets Record Download Speeds In South Africa, 3 Times Faster Than Nigeria by TMKsouth: 2:33pm On Apr 26, 2021
Kunja2:

Has the government released enough spectrum for networks to expand their capacity? That matters too.
Re: MTN Sets Record Download Speeds In South Africa, 3 Times Faster Than Nigeria by Kunja2: 6:11pm On May 02, 2021
TMKsouth:

Has the government released enough spectrum for networks to expand their capacity? That matters too.
that's a point too

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Oraimo Rock Stereo Earbuds Unboxing !!! / Useful Tips When Buying Fairly Used Or Second Hand Xiaomi Phones / Nokia N-gage for sale?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.