Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,190,353 members, 7,940,384 topics. Date: Thursday, 05 September 2024 at 02:00 AM

Petition To Withdraw Youth Corpers From Violent Northern Nigerian States. - NYSC (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / Petition To Withdraw Youth Corpers From Violent Northern Nigerian States. (15857 Views)

A Minute Of Silence For New Corpers From Imsu Who Died On Their Way To Camp / NYSC Bars Corpers From Borno And Yobe / Petition To Withdraw Youth Corpers From Violent Northern Nigerian States. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Petition To Withdraw Youth Corpers From Violent Northern Nigerian States. by THEAMAKA(f): 12:37am On Apr 23, 2011
Kobojunkie:

Please stop focusing on the ridiculous and look at things as they are. A report just came in of another bomb blast in Kaduna. Are you going to tell me next that because the 12 people killed were probably not in the NYSC -- maybe they were there voluntarily, there is no need to sign any petitions to get others of their kind out of the way of harm? Stop being blindly by sentiments and see things as they are. This is not just about NYSC members that are in harms way . . . people in general up there are, and all due to government incompetence !

Learn to lay blame where it ought to lie. . . . NYSC has been in existence since before you were born and the program has been that way since even the time of your parents. That there is violent trend more frequent now than before is no reason why the program should be scrapped. The reason for the problem is government, and unfortunately, after thousands of deaths, we have only last saturday handed the same another go at the lives of our loved ones in the north. Call on it to act.
you are really dumb and it seems you just love to argue about everything, sheesh. WELL UNTIL THE GOVERNMENT CAN FIX THIS ISSUE OF VIOLENCE, stop sending southerners up north and/or possibly withdraw all the southerners that are there now. as i said, did i say the government shouldn't protect all of its people? just as you pointed out, its the government's fault, so why should innocent southerners have to suffer because they were posted there, while they know the risks?
Re: Petition To Withdraw Youth Corpers From Violent Northern Nigerian States. by Nobody: 12:40am On Apr 23, 2011
Kobojunkie:

^^^
Well, I am glad to know how you were raised, and how you address your folks, but what has that to do with the discussion? undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided

Dont mind him undecided

KoboJ you're making solid points. You need to understand that ppl are too emotional right now to pay attention to those points.
Re: Petition To Withdraw Youth Corpers From Violent Northern Nigerian States. by Kobojunkie: 12:41am On Apr 23, 2011
THE AMAKA:

you are really dumb and it seems you just love to argue about everything, sheesh. WELL UNTIL THE GOVERNMENT CAN FIX THIS ISSUE OF VIOLENCE, stop sending southerners up north and/or possibly withdraw all the southerners that are there now. as i said, did i say the government shouldn't protect all of its people? just as you pointed out, its the government's fault, so why should innocent southerners have to suffer because they were posted there, while they know the risks?  

So, in your reasoning there, the only southerners who are sent up north to serve, even after being told over and over now, are NYSC members And look who calls another dumb

Re: Petition To Withdraw Youth Corpers From Violent Northern Nigerian States. by ourwale: 12:43am On Apr 23, 2011
The mistake they have made is that they redesigned what the core north is. they just redefined who the problem of this country is. they were the ones that voted along religious lines by deliberately encouraging mass illiteracy. the remaining 25 states will definitely outvote them in future elections. the north central  Nigeria will be the ones to rule nigeria even any day we start thinking of getting someone from upnorth. we will get a minority and vote him in. people who increase illiteracy, poverty, religious bigotry will never rule nigeria again. all thanks to kogi, plateau, benue, adamawa, abuja.they have finally learnt that it is easier for them to rule nigeria one day if they join the south. one of these corps members must strive to rule nigeria one day if the country survives! Cant we reprepare this petition and forward to NASS email? some lawyers in the house should help us proofread please. i think somethings in it are not actionable in court .Swe can actually push bills to them now. what do you think?
Re: Petition To Withdraw Youth Corpers From Violent Northern Nigerian States. by THEAMAKA(f): 12:44am On Apr 23, 2011
are we not talking NYSC or are you on another hype?
Re: Petition To Withdraw Youth Corpers From Violent Northern Nigerian States. by Kobojunkie: 12:44am On Apr 23, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Dont mind him undecided

KoboJ you're making solid points. You need to understand that ppl are too emotional right now to pay attention to those points.

Emotional about what kwanu? What we have here is a nation and people ruled almost entirely by emotions and not much else . . . they go to vote -- they vote emotions and not common sense. They step out to act -- emotions ahead of common sense . . . when crisis strikes -- even those far removed are lead by emotions and nothing else.
People are being killed, rather than demanding more action on the part of Government they voted in, they would rather out of emotion ask instead that the same Government scrap NYSC.

You ask them to better apply that emotion for their own good, they get emotional about that too. When do we start applying common sense here??

Why aren't those in leadership emotional?? At least that would have helped save some lives this week . . .if the Governors responded quickly enough and the president acted more aggressively to secure the people, maybe we would not have had that many deaths.
Re: Petition To Withdraw Youth Corpers From Violent Northern Nigerian States. by Kobojunkie: 12:45am On Apr 23, 2011
THE AMAKA:

are we not talking NYSC or are you on another hype?

Why respond to posts you seem to have little understanding of? undecided undecided undecided undecided What the heck?? See Question!!!
Re: Petition To Withdraw Youth Corpers From Violent Northern Nigerian States. by Nobody: 12:48am On Apr 23, 2011
Kobojunkie:

Emotional about what kwanu? What we have here is a nation and people ruled almost entirely by emotions and not much else . . . they go to vote -- they vote emotions and not common sense. They step out to act -- emotions ahead of common sense . . . when crisis strikes -- even those far removed are lead by emotions and nothing else. Why aren't those in leadership emotional?? At least that would have helped save some lives this week . . .if the Governors responded quickly enough and the president acted more aggressively to secure the people, maybe we would not have had that many deaths.

You're right. You know they're emotional, so what makes you think all the solid points you're throwing at them is hitting home?

How is withdrawing NYSC from the North going to to stop the riot or save the lives of innocent civilians in the Northern states? It's not. People are just getting emotional because of the dead boys (amongst others)?

People need to think big and plan big.
Re: Petition To Withdraw Youth Corpers From Violent Northern Nigerian States. by jmaine: 12:50am On Apr 23, 2011
Some people like to display their stvpidity at every given point . . .helpless innocent youths are killed at random while trying to serve in their own little capacity . . .and some useless fellow questions the rationale of scrapping a scheme which obviously has outlived it usefulness judging by recent events of untold violence . . . some people can be plain stvpid in their need to argue just to stay alive . . . can those fools questions themselves why was the NYSC established and also asked themselves if that objective is still being fulfilled . .
Re: Petition To Withdraw Youth Corpers From Violent Northern Nigerian States. by Nobody: 12:53am On Apr 23, 2011
jmaine:

Some people like to display their stvpidity at every given point . . .helpless innocent youths are killed at random while trying to serve in their own little capacity . . .and some useless fellow questions the rationale of scrapping a scheme which obviously has outlived it usefulness judging by recent events of untold violence . . . some people can be plain stvpid in their need to argue just to stay alive . . . can those fools questions themselves why was the NYSC established and also asked themselves if that objective is still being fulfilled . .

Increase the font, abeg. And add more insults, ejoooo.

Thank you.
Re: Petition To Withdraw Youth Corpers From Violent Northern Nigerian States. by soloqy: 12:53am On Apr 23, 2011
Why do people fall for the tricks of a person whose sole purpose on this site is to wear people out?

For the love of God, please go on with the issue and sign the damn*ed petition if you want to.

Going back and forth with this person just helps to feed her illusion of sagacity.

Back to the issue, I am in agreement with the scrapping or at least a modification whereby they are not forced to go serve in the North.
Re: Petition To Withdraw Youth Corpers From Violent Northern Nigerian States. by Virtueways(f): 12:56am On Apr 23, 2011
OBINNA & IKECHUKWU KILLED IN THEIR PRIME cry cry cry
Re: Petition To Withdraw Youth Corpers From Violent Northern Nigerian States. by Chrisbenogor(m): 12:59am On Apr 23, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

You're right. You know they're emotional, so what makes you think all the solid points you're throwing at them is hitting home?

How is withdrawing NYSC from the North going to to stop the riot or save the lives of innocent civilians in the Northern states? It's not. People are just getting emotional because of the dead boys (amongst others)?

People need to think big and plan big.
Yes Nigerians are emotional very much so, thats why I still wonder why the CPC are bothering to fight these election results if the elections took place unit by unit they would still loose people are fanatical about Jonathan hard to swallow but thats the will of the majority.
To the issue at hand, Jews were not the only group that suffered at the hands of hitler, but after the world war the world knew something had to be done about them because they were a soft target. IMO same applies to corp members, they are promising and young Nigerians who should not in any way come to harms way because they want to serve Nigeria. If they had a choice most of them would not go to the North.
As a woman can you imagine the pain of hearing your child whom you have spent years and years of sweat training dies in such a gruesome manner while trying to serve Nigeria?
Re: Petition To Withdraw Youth Corpers From Violent Northern Nigerian States. by Nobody: 1:05am On Apr 23, 2011
naijababe:

I disagree with you, location of youth service remains strictly out of most people's power and without a discharge certificate, you can't be employed in Nigeria. To a very large extent, it's like being sent to die involuntarily. Civilians being posted to the North will most probably be aware of the risks and might have taken that into account when making a decision. Same goes for choosing to have your wards educated in the North

naijababe is wisebabe kobo is junk
Re: Petition To Withdraw Youth Corpers From Violent Northern Nigerian States. by Nobody: 1:10am On Apr 23, 2011
Chrisbenogor:

Yes Nigerians are emotional very much so, thats why I still wonder why the CPC are bothering to fight these election results if the elections took place unit by unit they would still loose people are fanatical about Jonathan hard to swallow but thats the will of the majority.
To the issue at hand, Jews were not the only group that suffered at the hands of hitler, but after the world war the world knew something had to be done about them because they were a soft target. IMO same applies to corp members, they are promising and young Nigerians who should not in any way come to harms way because they want to serve Nigeria. If they had a choice most of them would not go to the North.
As a woman can you imagine the pain of hearing your child whom you have spent years and years of sweat training dies in such a gruesome manner while trying to serve Nigeria?

I understand your sorrow.
But whose job is it to protect the residents and NYSC corps in the Northern states?
Re: Petition To Withdraw Youth Corpers From Violent Northern Nigerian States. by Chrisbenogor(m): 1:17am On Apr 23, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

But whose job is it to protect the residents and NYSC corps in the Northern states?

The Government agreed, but the nature of the scheme would not even allow for that level of protection. People are posted to every nook and craning of this country without any specific criteria and in the present day and age especially in the intolerant north that is not going to work.
I am just  angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry
After all the stress of school a person can get beaten profusely, and hacked anyhow before being set on fire.  angry angry angry angry angry angry

This scheme needs to be scrapped, or everyone go and serve in their respective villages.
Re: Petition To Withdraw Youth Corpers From Violent Northern Nigerian States. by Nobody: 1:20am On Apr 23, 2011
Ileke-Idi is a kobo worshiper. Brown noser.
Re: Petition To Withdraw Youth Corpers From Violent Northern Nigerian States. by bensuala: 1:22am On Apr 23, 2011
Wow. It's a funny thing some people are trying to defend these Northern violence against unarmed civilians. I understand your plight but we should reason that for the past few years they've been violence all over Nigeria. Each with special targets. In the south is the battle for oil. The militants against government armed forces. In the west is local rivalry, different faction of militia battle for local supremacy. Then in the North is a different kind of battle one that could be termed a Genocide A tribal and religious fuss. What makes it even worse is the fact that it Is a war between the armed and the unarmed. Why kill innocent unarmed civilians all in the name of tribalism and religious fanatism? The NYSC is not a military program so they cannot be armed. Those who think Corpers should remain in the North should press for an assured security of the lifes of civilians from this angry barbarians if not the best solution is to suspend the NYSC from these violent Northern states.
 Youth Corpers lost Their lives serving their fatherland, was that the motive behind NYSC? I really think it's high time the North is left to develop itself since it cannot entertain visitors.

Petition Signed.
Re: Petition To Withdraw Youth Corpers From Violent Northern Nigerian States. by Nobody: 1:26am On Apr 23, 2011
Chrisbenogor:

The Government agreed, but the nature of the scheme would not even allow for that level of protection. People are posted to every nook and craning of this country without any specific criteria and in the present day and age especially in the intolerant north that is not going to work.
I am just  angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry
After all the stress of school a person can get beaten profusely, and hacked anyhow before being set on fire.  angry angry angry angry angry angry

This scheme needs to be scrapped, or everyone go and serve in their respective villages.

Eyah pele. Mind if I ask if you've been personally affected by this riot?

The point of NYSC is to serve the nation while broadening our cultural horizon. The program is suppose to teach one of the differences in culture and to bring understanding between two unlike pupils. How's serving in their respective villages going to help NYSC corps achieve those goals? You can't just cut off the Northerners when it comes to NYSC, it causes more tension (during non-election periods) between the N and the S .

Trust me, I'm pissed too. I believe what KoboJ is saying (You can correct me if I'm wrong) is that we should set out a bigger plan and request (forcefully) that the Govt(or whoever is suppose to offer protection)  carry out their own end of the deal.
Re: Petition To Withdraw Youth Corpers From Violent Northern Nigerian States. by ayomifull(f): 1:30am On Apr 23, 2011
Crude Oil:

Seems like you love arguments.

Northern pupils dont get killed and they were not posted to live and "serve" the country in the north unlike the corpers, it is mostly the southern corpers who are killed during the riots. These corpers would probably be alive if not for the NYSC program.

While 'civilians' in the north decided on their own to live there same can not be said of youth corpers who in most cases has no choice so i support scrapping of the scheme or let ppl service in their villages like someone said.
Re: Petition To Withdraw Youth Corpers From Violent Northern Nigerian States. by jmaine: 1:34am On Apr 23, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

You might be quick to say it's the state government and you will be correct . .but security starts from being a good neighbor to one another  . .then a good security structure will build on that,better enhancing safety of life and property . .but we all know our security agencies still have a lot to do as regard effective policing of their region . .it might interest you to know that this corp members are often thrown into remote villages  they have never envisaged was in Nigeria considering the appalling status of those areas . .some of these villages are barely motorable due to neglect and atimes corpers who go there spend the first week crying about the plight they will face for the entire duration . .it's the comforting hospitality of the people in those villages and the excitement of learning the lifestyle and culture of other tribes that makes your time worthwhile and interesting . . also even in the midst of a total language barrier the comforting smiles and goodwill of the villagers is the currency that keeps your hope alive that all is well  .even to some extent you feel you shouldn't leave the people cos you felt safe around them . .You know why ? they were your first line of security and they will do anything to protect you cos corp members were regarded as special guests . .those were the good old days all over Nigeria . . .But when your neighbor begins to cast bloody aspersions on you to the extent of brutally murdering you for no sin of yours is scary . .before the security will arrive, you are dead and gone just like what painfully happened last week . . .Our security is not as sophisticated as what is obtainable in the developed nations such as employing simple things as CCTV,DNA matching e.t.c

The essence of the NYSC was to foster unity and togetherness after the civil war by exposing the younger generation to other people's culture and lifestyle , so that you can learn to live amicably among each other . . .but when incessant killing happens in the North and is now a common case . .then it's of no use educating your child and sending him/her to their death .  , no parent deserves to pass through that . .
Re: Petition To Withdraw Youth Corpers From Violent Northern Nigerian States. by Chrisbenogor(m): 1:35am On Apr 23, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

The point of NYSC is to serve the nation while broadening our cultural horizon. The program is suppose to teach one of the difference in culture and to brig understanding between two unlike pupils. How's serving in their respective villages going to help NYSC corps achieve those goals? You can't just cut off the Northerners when it comes to NYSC, it causes more tension (during non-election periods) between the N and the S .

Trust me, I'm pissed too. I believe what KoboJ is saying (You can correct me if I'm wrong) is that we should set out a bigger plan and request (forcefully) that the Govt(or whoever is suppose to offer protection)  carry out their own end of the deal.
The deal is this, some parts of this country are really very remote, coupled with the fact that there is a general security problem in the country so the security of these corp members rest largely with the host communities. Now when these communities are compromised and intolerant like most of the North the purpose of the service is defeated. I see no sense in learning a lions culture by throwing the person into the lions den. Doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result is a huge problem here, the Nigerian government cannot attend to the security needs of this country in the foreseeable at least so these corp members should not pay for it with their lives. I have a cousin serving in maiduguri  and the tales of extremism are better heard than observed especially for female corp members coming from the north. We have to put an end to this madness, I am pretty sure no one would lynch any corp member in his own village at least his kinsmen would be there to protect him. The rest of Nigeria we can learn about on National Geographic.
sad sad sad
Re: Petition To Withdraw Youth Corpers From Violent Northern Nigerian States. by Chrisbenogor(m): 1:37am On Apr 23, 2011
jmaine:

You might be quick to say it's the state government and you will be correct . .but security starts from being a good neighbor to one another  . .then a good security structure will build on that,better enhancing safety of life and property . .but we all know our security agencies still have a lot to do as regard effective policing of their region . .it might interest you to know that this corp members are often thrown into remote villages  they have never envisaged was in Nigeria considering the appalling status of those areas . .some of these villages are barely motorable due to neglect and atimes corpers who go there spend the first week crying about the plight they will face for the entire duration . .it's the comforting hospitality of the people in those villages and the excitement of learning the lifestyle and culture of other tribes that makes your time worthwhile and interesting . . also even in the midst of a total language barrier the comforting smiles and goodwill of the villagers is the currency that keeps your hope alive that all is well  .even to some extent you feel you shouldn't leave the people cos you felt safe around them . .You know why ? they were your first line of security and they will do anything to protect you cos corp members were regarded as special guests . .those were the good old days all over Nigeria . . .But when your neighbor begins to cast bloody aspersions on you to the extent of brutally murdering you for no sin of yours is scary . .before the security will arrive, you are dead and gone just like what painfully happened last week . . .Our security is not as sophisticated as what is obtainable in the developed nations such as employing simple things as CCTV,DNA matching e.t.c

The essence of the NYSC was to foster unity and togetherness after the civil war by exposing the younger generation to other people's culture and lifestyle , so that you can learn to live amicably among each other . . .but when incessant killing happens in the North and is now a common case . .then it's of no use educating your child and sending him to his death .  , no parent deserve to pass through that . .

My point exactly if the community you are serving are the ones organizing to have you lynched how is that education? Why teach a child about the lion by throwing the Child into the den?
Re: Petition To Withdraw Youth Corpers From Violent Northern Nigerian States. by nwaghana: 1:42am On Apr 23, 2011
There is no doubt that NYSC was set up with good intents; to unite Nigeria through educated youths, who are sent out to learn about other cultures and languages. The services provided by NYSC members can not be overemphasized. There are scores of local governments in Nigeria that would not have doctors if the NYSC programme is discontinued. Many primary and secondary schools in Nigeria have the privilege of having university educated teachers, who come with diverse experiences. One can take a look at immunization programmes, elections, national census and so many community programmes to see the importance of NYSC

However, just like every Nigeria programme, the NYSC is not functioning as it should. The federal government needs to look into it and bring it back to its former glory. But before that is done, the NYSC programme needs to be suspended indefinitely until the government does the right thing. And if they feel it is better to neglect the NYSC and focus on rapidly filling their individual pockets, then the best alternative would be to scrap it.

After spending 6 years in the university for a 4 year course, the government sends innocent, promising young men and women to the North to be killed by almajeris in the name of NYSC. No, in fact it should be scrapped. When two almajeris quarrel over a piece of fish or a plate of food, they settle their differences with the head of a southern corper. God forbid!
Re: Petition To Withdraw Youth Corpers From Violent Northern Nigerian States. by contracult: 1:43am On Apr 23, 2011
Hello people,
I joined Nairaland just because of this topic! LOL!
I just wanted to thank you all for the support for this petition. I am very invested in gathering enough signatures to get it  going. We need a thousand signatures by  Monday if it is to be worth anything. Corpers will be asked to conduct elections on Tuesday. Please and please, it is not enough to hit facebook like. You need to actually scroll down to the bottom of the petition and append your name to it. That is what counts. Now we have 3 times as many facebook likes as signatures. I have been watching the debates on Nairaland since the riots in the north started and I know that there is a large populatin of people here who are angry and just want to do something. This is your chance. Please support this petition.

Many thanks!
Re: Petition To Withdraw Youth Corpers From Violent Northern Nigerian States. by ayomifull(f): 1:44am On Apr 23, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

The point of NYSC is to serve the nation while broadening our cultural horizon. The program is suppose to teach one of the difference in culture and to brig understanding between two unlike pupils. How's serving in their respective villages going to help NYSC corps achieve those goals? You can't just cut off the Northerners when it comes to NYSC, it causes more tension (during non-election periods) between the N and the S .

One does not have to be personally affected to feel the pain, just close your eyes and assume one of those guys was your brother and you will care less if the govt refuse to protect people who decided on their own to settle there (though they should as far as i am concerned there is no govt in Nigeria, everyone is OYO)  but by all means you wont want any of your remaining siblings posted there.

In a country that has govt in the first place those guys would be fully insured by the govt as it is a govt scheme but that is never going to happen in that country so again i support the petition, if it works it will sure save some lives.
Re: Petition To Withdraw Youth Corpers From Violent Northern Nigerian States. by Nobody: 1:46am On Apr 23, 2011
jmaine:

Real thoughtful post.

@ The bolded part, did you expect NYSC to deport thair corp members into luxurious environments? That will not achieve the purpose of the NYSC mission.
These corps members are supposed to be exposed to the difficulties in Nigeria so they can envision strategical plans to build up Nigeria. Why send them to Victoria Island to enjoy, that's not the purpose.

Even though I support your analysis on security. The point of a Govt security is to provide protection incase one has the unfortunate circumstance of living amongst dangerous neighbors.

There's a bigger picture here. Why can't we force the Govt to protect us? Why must they play with out trust?

Chrisbenogor:

The deal is this, some parts of this country are really very remote, coupled with the fact that there is a general security problem in the country so the security of these corp members rest largely with the host communities. Now when these communities are compromised and intolerant like most of the North the purpose of the service is defeated. I see no sense in learning a lions culture by throwing the person into the lions den. Doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result is a huge problem here, the Nigerian government cannot attend to the security needs of this country in the foreseeable at least so these corp members should not pay for it with their lives. I have a cousin serving in maiduguri  and the tales of extremism are better heard than observed especially for female corp members coming from the north. We have to put an end to this madness, I am pretty sure no one would lynch any corp member in his own village at least his kinsmen would be there to protect him. The rest of Nigeria we can learn about on National Geographic.
sad sad sad

Are you suggesting a TEMPORARY ban on the program until national security is up to par?
Re: Petition To Withdraw Youth Corpers From Violent Northern Nigerian States. by jmaine: 1:48am On Apr 23, 2011
Chrisbenogor:

My point exactly if the community you are serving are the ones organizing to have you lynched how is that education? Why teach a child about the lion by throwing the Child into the den?

Yes Bro . .we were saying the same thing exactly  grin grin. .it's glaring that the scheme has lost it's usefulness and should be scrapped only side effects is that those Military official conduit pipe to the national cake will be terminated and all those L.G.I will be in the labour market  sad . . . NYSC with that their chicken change alawee . .na him you no go fit sleep well for night again . . .no be small trauma be that oo!  . .no money  . .no sleep . . embarassed
Re: Petition To Withdraw Youth Corpers From Violent Northern Nigerian States. by Nobody: 1:49am On Apr 23, 2011
ayomifull:

One does not have to be personally affected to feel the pain, just close your eyes and assume one of those guys was your brother and you will care less if the govt refuse to protect people who decided on their own to settle there (though they should as far as i am concerned there is no govt in Nigeria, everyone is OYO)  but by all means you wont want any of your remaining siblings posted there.

In a country that has govt in the first place those guys would be fully insured by the govt as it is a govt scheme but that is never going to happen in that country so again i support the petition, if it works it will sure save some lives.

I did not ask him that question to support my argument. I asked because I was concerned.

The pain of losing one from my nationale, esp one from  my ethnic group is painful, trust me.
Re: Petition To Withdraw Youth Corpers From Violent Northern Nigerian States. by Chrisbenogor(m): 1:53am On Apr 23, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Real thoughtful post.

@ The bolded part, did you expect NYSC to deport thair corp members into luxurious environments? That will not achieve the purpose of the NYSC mission.
These corps members are supposed to be exposed to the difficulties in Nigeria so they can envision strategical plans to build up Nigeria. Why send them to Victoria Island to enjoy, that's not the purpose.

Even though I support your analysis on security. The point of a Govt security is to provide protection incase one has the unfortunate circumstance of living amongst dangerous neighbors.

There's a bigger picture here. Why can't we force the Govt to protect us? Why must they play with out trust?

Are you suggesting a TEMPORARY ban on the program until national security is up to par?
But these brave youth have been posted to the very worst communities, all they ask is to come back with their lives intact. These communities have not been friendly and as such they should be punished by not having a corp member sent there. Nobody's time is worth the rubbish called NYSC now not to talk of their lives.
The security starts from the community, if they have failed you then you are a goner before the local policeman arrives.
We are saying the same thing here which is to force the government, but we want them to do the right thing we are tired of the promises of security just dont send anyone where he or she does not want to go for the sake of their lives.
Re: Petition To Withdraw Youth Corpers From Violent Northern Nigerian States. by nwaghana: 1:55am On Apr 23, 2011
If the government does not respect corpers, how do they expect almajeris to respect corpers? Think of the peanuts the government pay corpers. When I served in 2003, we were given 150 naira for bicycle allowance. Tell me, where on earth one could buy bicycle for 150 naira. The monthly allowance was laughable. I heard they have increased the monthly allowance to 9500 naira, but that is still rubbish compared to the 12 million naira monthly allowance the senators earn. Almajeris are obviously watching, and also take their turn on the 'worthless' corpers
Re: Petition To Withdraw Youth Corpers From Violent Northern Nigerian States. by Nobody: 1:56am On Apr 23, 2011
Chrisbenogor:

But these brave youth have been posted to the very worst communities, all they ask is to come back with their lives intact. These communities have not been friendly and as such they should be punished by not having a corp member sent there. Nobody's time is worth the rubbish called NYSC now not to talk of their lives.
The security starts from the community, if they have failed you then you are a goner before the local policeman arrives.
We are saying the same thing here which is to force the government, but we want them to do the right thing we are tired of the promises of security just dont send anyone where he or she does not want to go for the sake of their lives.

Ok, are you speaking of a temporary withdraw or a permanent one?

A permanent one is simply impossible if Nigeria sticks together. And you can't scrap off the program because it's an essential part of Nigeria (well, IMO).

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Corper Musa Bello Launches Distress Call Mobile Application In Minna / Shuaibu Ibrahim: I Will Rather Die Than Lose One Corps Member — New NYSC DG / NYSC Lagos State To Pay Only 610 Corpers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 143
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.