Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,191,902 members, 7,945,903 topics. Date: Wednesday, 11 September 2024 at 09:03 AM

State Vs Independent School In Uk - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / State Vs Independent School In Uk (2575 Views)

Nigerian Killed By A Lorry After Storming Out Of Car During Row With Wife In UK / Any Special Needs School In Nigeria / Why Women Should Be Financially Independent. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

State Vs Independent School In Uk by Ilelobola: 7:00pm On Apr 22, 2011
Apologies for doubling this topic but I posted in the Education forum and didn't get a response. This forum is quite active and discusses issues on raising kids, which this is part of too ,  hence my coming here  wink. I'm hoping I am not breaking any rules and I will get comments from people with experience of either sector. So here it goes-

We are getting nearer the time when we apply for a school place (primary) and I can't make my mind up on independent (private) or state sector.

One of the best state schools in the area is close by -about 15mins walk- normally tops the league tables or in top 10 of about 80 schools but Ofsted only rates it good. One of the not so great schools is about 5 mins walk, usually below average in league tables but rated good by Ofsted too. I wouldn't consider the local independent schools as they are not academically strong but another that's about 15 mins drive.

Money would be an object in that we both have to keep working to be able to comfortably afford it. I want to retain the flexibility of not working if I choose not but my husband can keep working. Whatever we decide, we would have to do the same for our younger daughter the year after.

Just wondering if people can share their experiences as a growing number of Nigerians in the UK send their children to independent schools so hopefully loads of experience of both sectors on here.

Is it worth going private for primary school? Are the Ofsted reports reliable? Any other information to consider please? Thanks.
Re: State Vs Independent School In Uk by Claus(m): 5:19pm On Apr 23, 2011
Hey there. I live in the U.K. as well and this thought has been on my mind as we're expecting our first child (never too early to start planning smiley).

From what I've seen, I'm inclined to go for an independent school, unless we're able to get our child(ren) into a state school rated as 1 by Ofsted. However, the independent schools can be quite expensive, so one needs to choose carefully and adjust lifestyles accordingly.

A mixture of the Ofsted report and personal recommendations from parents is the best way to find out about the quality of schools.

If you learn any more, I'd be quite interested to hear your thoughts as well. It's one of those things that cause anxiety for parents.
Re: State Vs Independent School In Uk by Nobody: 7:13pm On Apr 23, 2011
///
Re: State Vs Independent School In Uk by Ilelobola: 4:53pm On Apr 24, 2011
Thanks Chaircover & Claus.

We actually settled in this area for their good schools since we got married. I registered both of my children since they were 3 months for an independent school that is rated Outstanding in all areas but for which I do not know their ranking in the league tables. Seems like independent schools don't have reliable league tables.

I've found Ofsted to be about everything else but academics hence I try to look at both league tables and Ofsted reports. Shame some schools are now refusing to publish results for the tables. There are 3 schools that usually top the league around here but the Ofsted report for one of them is "Satisfactory". On reading the report and visiting the school, it's mainly due to the facilities they have. According to Ofsted, the classrooms are too small, not enough play area for the children, lack of a room dedicated to ICT etc. All important of course, but if the council won't give permission for them to build and they are on Green belt land or something of sorts, what's a school to do but manage with the facilities they have.

Of course, the ideal would be reviews from parents but I don't know people whose children go to the local state schools except the one I mentioned above, so it's difficult to get opinions. I have loads for independent schools, most people I know have their children in Independent schools as everyone just seems to do what others are doing etc but I really don't just want to follow suit without doing some proper research. And then, I'm not sure it's necessary to pay so much at primary school level. For now, I know Secondary school will be independent except they get into one of two grammar schools.

My daughter is only 3 so I'm not sure I can get her opinion and we probably would only visit the schools for a few minutes on open / assessment days.

Claus
It’s good to have a plan. You should identify the schools you are aiming to get into from when your child is about 2+, attend open days (usually in September for state schools and varies for independent schools) and know their entry requirements. You might need to start attending their affiliated church etc or move closer to their catchment area. I'm currently an active member of 2 churches, if an hour of my time a month will get us into a good school, why not? We all pay the same taxes proportionally so why should my child be made to attend an underperforming school?

And I have gone on but I’m quite passionate and anxious about the issue.
Re: State Vs Independent School In Uk by Nija4Life(m): 11:30pm On Apr 28, 2011
Been a teacher myself all be it in a secondary here in the UK, I feel very concerned about some of the behaviour I observe and deal with everyday. As a parent myself my biggest worry is the disruptions to learning and possible bad influences my children may face in an environment that I am familiar with. Though their are still some good state schools out there but trouble is you have to live within the catchment area and that means buying a home within close proximity.

I wouldn't read too much into OFSTED reports - truth is that if you live in a very good neighbourhood in this country chances are your local school would most likely be a good one. Schools like most public services in the UK is a postcode lottery I'm afraid. I'm more concerned about the profile of the children in the school where I want to send my children than an OFSTED report based on a one-off inspection which sometimes does not reflect on the true picture of what happens in the classroom on a daily basis. Personally I would send my children to an Independent school - ok you can argue children can express their abilities regardless of what school they go to but Independent schools in my opinion would surely provide an environment where your child can aspire and develop their abilities in ways that may not be possible in state schools.
Re: State Vs Independent School In Uk by ada24: 11:48pm On Apr 28, 2011
Boboenjoy:

Hello all, my advise for all the ladies here, make sure you take your kids
back to Nigeria for secondary school, at least for 2 or three years,

so they have a sense of culture!!! Very Important!

abeg - there is no way my little girl is going to secondary school in Nigeria even for one day.

back to topic, if one can afford it I would def say choose private education, however if you can't I think u have to really REALLY be involved in ur children's education and life. If you can get private tutors even better, if ur academically inclined you can also work with your children when they bring homework and give them extra work at home as well. I look at what Indians do with their kids and they push them hard and all they do is study, my little girl may hate it when she is older but that is what she will be doing - no social life or extended time in front of the TV - it will be homework and more school work, when she sleeps at night she will dream of algebra and Shakespeare - lol

My greatest fear for my child is other peoples kids and the bad influence they may have on her. My daughter is only 4 months and I have been looking at primary schools as well (lol i like to plan ahead).
Re: State Vs Independent School In Uk by Nobody: 10:12am On Apr 29, 2011
//
Re: State Vs Independent School In Uk by ada24: 10:39am On Apr 29, 2011
@ chaircover - I know but i'm glad u said it. It does start from day one cos when madam wants to start acting up she corrects herself when she hears mummy's voice tell her off. smiley
Re: State Vs Independent School In Uk by debosky(m): 9:14pm On May 02, 2011
so you can register kids from 3 months?? shocked

I better get my act together.
Re: State Vs Independent School In Uk by ladej(m): 4:15am On May 04, 2011
Boboenjoy:

Hello all, my advise for all the ladies here, make sure you take your kids
back to Nigeria for secondary school, at least for 2 or three years,

so they have a sense of culture!!! Very Important!

wonderful advice brother
Re: State Vs Independent School In Uk by DeeJay20: 11:33pm On May 04, 2011
ada24:

abeg - there is no way my little girl is going to secondary school in Nigeria even for one day.

back to topic, if one can afford it I would def say choose private education, however if you can't I think u have to really REALLY be involved in your children's education and life. If you can get private tutors even better, if your academically inclined you can also work with your children when they bring homework and give them extra work at home as well. I look at what Indians do with their kids and they push them hard and all they do is study, my little girl may hate it when she is older but that is what she will be doing - no social life or extended time in front of the TV - it will be homework and more school work, when she sleeps at night she will dream of algebra and Shakespeare - lol

My greatest fear for my child is other peoples kids and the bad influence they may have on her. My daughter is only 4 months and I have been looking at primary schools as well (lol i like to plan ahead).

Please note the bolded comments. You seem to be still in the euphoric stage of being abroad.

Take it from me, someone that was born abroad, raised abroad and came to Nigeria
as a Teenager. Its was the missing link to the puzzle that 99.9% of Nigerians Born Abroad need.

You are admiring Indians and how they motivate their kids, well you better be ready to
teach your kids Ibo as most Indian kids speak there language and love their culture

Dont be fooled, its the cultural identity and bonding with their cultural roots/family
that helps most Indians, Pakistanies and Asians in General to be successful in education and life.

I read, write and speak Ibo and i am trully thankful that my Father brough me back to Nigeria

I can see the African and Black experience from both sides of the fence and it has made me
a more balanced individual and man.

Not too mention that all my nigerian friends that did not even visit let alone
live in Nigeria look up to me for moral and identity support.

IF you do not send your CHILD to live in Nigeria, the least you can do is Teach her Ibo Langauge
and i mean start speaking to her in Ibo NOW!!!

THIS IS THE BIGGEST RESENTMENT NIGERIANS BORN ABROAD HAVE TOWARDS THEIR PARENTS AND ITS A RESENTMENT
AND SOMETIMES BITTERNESS THAT MOST NIGERIAN KIDS BORN ABROAD HIDE!!!

THE EASIEST WAY TO WATCH YOUR KIDS THAT ARE NOT BORN IN NIGERIA DRIFT AWAY AND BE DISTANT FROM YOU
IS NOT TEACH THEM YOUR NATIVE LANGUAGE.

I have a Nigerian friend that lived all his life abroad and only came to Nigeria for Holiday
but he speaks Ibo Fluently becos his parents taught him from birth. The parents are so happy
that they taught all their kids Ibo as it bonded the family and saw them through the
difficult teenage years of the children.

It did the same for me too,

THANK YOU MUM & DAD FOR NOT BEING COWARDS AND INTIMIDATED CHICKENS
LIKE SOME OF THE NIGERIAN PARENTS I KNEW WHO REFUSED TO TEACH THEIR KIDS THEIR NATIVE TONGUE
BECOS THEY WERE BORN ABROAD AND SPOKE WITH A DIFFERENT ACCENT THAN THEM!!!

REMEMBER ADA YOU ARE NOT IN NIGERIA WHERE THE BASIC SOCIAL ENVIROMENT BENDS KIDS TOWARDS
RESPECT AND DISCIPLINE, WHATEVER YOU WANT TO INSTILL IN YOUR KIDS, YOU HAVE TO WORK 200% TO DO
IT AS YOU ARE NOW ABROAD!.BELIEVE YOU ME MY PARENTS WORKED OVERTIME TO MAKE SURE I GREW UP
WITH A SANE LEVEL HEAD, IT WORKED ADA ITS WORKED

THE NUMBER ONE WAY TO DESTROY YOUR KIDS RESPECT FOR YOUR COUNTRY AND IBO CULTURE IS
START TALKING NEGATIVE ABOUT NIGERIA IN FRONT OF THEM!

NUMBER TWO WAY TO GET YOUR KIDS TO DISRESPECT YOU SUBTLELY AND YOUR CULTURE IS TO BE
INTIMIDATED BY THEIR FOREIGN ACCENT AND TRY AND TALK LIKE THEM OR TRY TO BE THEIR PAL
OR APPEASE THEM!!! BAD BAD MOVE IF YOU DO THAT!!!

NUMBER THREE WAY TO GET THEM TO DISRESPECT YOU AND THEIR CULTURE IS WHEN YOU DONT TEACH
THEM HOW TO PRO-NOUNCE THEIR NAMES PROPERLY WITH THE CORRECT IBO INTONATIONS AND ALSO
EXPLAIN TO THEN THE MEANING!!!

THIS IS SOMETHING MY PARENTS NEVER DID AND WHEN BAD NEWS CAME OUT OF NIGERIA,MY PARENTS
ALWAYS REMINDED ME THAT THE ETHNIC GROUPS EXISTED IN NIGERIA BEFORE THE NATION WAS FORMED AND
WILL BE AROUND IRRESPECTIVE OF THE SOCIO-POLITICAL CHANGE REGARDLESS AND THAT THEIR ARE GOOD PEOPLE
IN AND FROM NIGERIA AND WHEN I ASKED THEM TO NAME ME SOME: THEY WOULD SAY US! YOUR PARENTS!
AND IT WOULD ALWAYS BRING A SMILE TO ME FACE (AND A TEAR TO MY EYE JUST THINKING ABOUT IT!)

I KNOW I HAVE SAID ALOT, BUT IT JUST SOMETHING FOR YOU TO THINK ON!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: State Vs Independent School In Uk by Busybody2(f): 6:55pm On May 05, 2011
^^^
Gosh how I hate those shameless parents with their empty boast and smugness that their lil runts can't speak their native language, shior.

@Boboenjoy

Nowadays its more about getting your kids away at that age from the rampant gun and knife culture that abound here, to save their lives. Those prestigious public institutions such as Eton, etc, are also not immune, just that the woes they are afflicted with is hard drugs, which a lot of them dabble in, knowing Daddy has a plum job lined up for them once they graduate.

@ Debosky

My pikin wey I put hin name down aged 3 months no get school enter aged 4 cos there was no space, he only got a place cos some peeps had to do some legworks. UK is bursting at the seams, I have friends whose children had to wait at home for February start because there was no space for them to start in September. Plus it doesn't help if it is a first born, as siblings is the second criteria used in deciding if a child merits a place, ahead of distance/proximity. The situation is so critical some pupils are being taught in portakabin classes for yonks.

And things are gonna get a lot worse before it can get better, the initial victims of the Middle Eastern uprising, 26000 Tunisians already touched down in Lampedusa, and are currently chilling in the area around Eurostar awaiting entry into UK the land of the eldorado, because according to them, the French and Italians are hostile and racist to them and they have been told about the pot of gold in UK, lol. At this rate, me sef dey pack my bag ready to go claim asylum in Ghana, abeg all of you stay put, nor come pour sand for my garri oh, lol.
Re: State Vs Independent School In Uk by dayokanu(m): 7:07pm On May 05, 2011
When kids of African parents grow older, they tend to appreciate their African heritage mor and they feel like they missed out on something.

Debo and Busybody, As the pricipal of Ansrudeen community school and daycare in Iwaya Road, Mushin I can enroll your kids in our school for free.

We also have branches in Ojuelegba, Okokomaiko, Ajegunle and Damanturu
Re: State Vs Independent School In Uk by ada24: 10:53pm On May 05, 2011
DeeJay20:

Please note the bolded comments. You seem to be still in the euphoric stage of being abroad.

Take it from me, someone that was born abroad, raised abroad and came to Nigeria
as a Teenager. Its was the missing link to the puzzle that 99.9% of Nigerians Born Abroad need.

You are admiring Indians and how they motivate their kids, well you better be ready to
teach your kids Ibo as most Indian kids speak there language and love their culture

Dont be fooled, its the cultural identity and bonding with their cultural roots/family
that helps most Indians, Pakistanies and Asians in General to be successful in education and life.

I read, write and speak Ibo and i am trully thankful that my Father brough me back to Nigeria

I can see the African and Black experience from both sides of the fence and it has made me
a more balanced individual and man.

Not too mention that all my nigerian friends that did not even visit let alone
live in Nigeria look up to me for moral and identity support.

IF you do not send your CHILD to live in Nigeria, the least you can do is Teach her Ibo Langauge
and i mean start speaking to her in Ibo NOW!!!

THIS IS THE BIGGEST RESENTMENT NIGERIANS BORN ABROAD HAVE TOWARDS THEIR PARENTS AND ITS A RESENTMENT
AND SOMETIMES BITTERNESS THAT MOST NIGERIAN KIDS BORN ABROAD HIDE!!!

THE EASIEST WAY TO WATCH YOUR KIDS THAT ARE NOT BORN IN NIGERIA DRIFT AWAY AND BE DISTANT FROM YOU
IS NOT TEACH THEM YOUR NATIVE LANGUAGE.

I have a Nigerian friend that lived all his life abroad and only came to Nigeria for Holiday
but he speaks Ibo Fluently becos his parents taught him from birth. The parents are so happy
that they taught all their kids Ibo as it bonded the family and saw them through the
difficult teenage years of the children.

It did the same for me too,

THANK YOU MUM & DAD FOR NOT BEING COWARDS AND INTIMIDATED CHICKENS
LIKE SOME OF THE NIGERIAN PARENTS I KNEW WHO REFUSED TO TEACH THEIR KIDS THEIR NATIVE TONGUE
BECOS THEY WERE BORN ABROAD AND SPOKE WITH A DIFFERENT ACCENT THAN THEM!!!

REMEMBER ADA YOU ARE NOT IN NIGERIA WHERE THE BASIC SOCIAL ENVIROMENT BENDS KIDS TOWARDS
RESPECT AND DISCIPLINE, WHATEVER YOU WANT TO INSTILL IN YOUR KIDS, YOU HAVE TO WORK 200% TO DO
IT AS YOU ARE NOW ABROAD!.BELIEVE YOU ME MY PARENTS WORKED OVERTIME TO MAKE SURE I GREW UP
WITH A SANE LEVEL HEAD, IT WORKED ADA ITS WORKED

THE NUMBER ONE WAY TO DESTROY YOUR KIDS RESPECT FOR YOUR COUNTRY AND IBO CULTURE IS
START TALKING NEGATIVE ABOUT NIGERIA IN FRONT OF THEM!

NUMBER TWO WAY TO GET YOUR KIDS TO DISRESPECT YOU SUBTLELY AND YOUR CULTURE IS TO BE
INTIMIDATED BY THEIR FOREIGN ACCENT AND TRY AND TALK LIKE THEM OR TRY TO BE THEIR PAL
OR APPEASE THEM!!! BAD BAD MOVE IF YOU DO THAT!!!

NUMBER THREE WAY TO GET THEM TO DISRESPECT YOU AND THEIR CULTURE IS WHEN YOU DONT TEACH
THEM HOW TO PRO-NOUNCE THEIR NAMES PROPERLY WITH THE CORRECT IBO INTONATIONS AND ALSO
EXPLAIN TO THEN THE MEANING!!!

THIS IS SOMETHING MY PARENTS NEVER DID AND WHEN BAD NEWS CAME OUT OF NIGERIA,MY PARENTS
ALWAYS REMINDED ME THAT THE ETHNIC GROUPS EXISTED IN NIGERIA BEFORE THE NATION WAS FORMED AND
WILL BE AROUND IRRESPECTIVE OF THE SOCIO-POLITICAL CHANGE REGARDLESS AND THAT THEIR ARE GOOD PEOPLE
IN AND FROM NIGERIA AND WHEN I ASKED THEM TO NAME ME SOME: THEY WOULD SAY US! YOUR PARENTS!
AND IT WOULD ALWAYS BRING A SMILE TO ME FACE (AND A TEAR TO MY EYE JUST THINKING ABOUT IT!)

I KNOW I HAVE SAID ALOT, BUT IT JUST SOMETHING FOR YOU TO THINK ON!

Thank you, but let us all do what i best for OUR OWN CHILDREN. what works for one might not work for another. Some good points made thou
Re: State Vs Independent School In Uk by horny4u(f): 7:30am On May 06, 2011
My sis kids are not being taught our language I must admit she is a great mum though but you are so so right about the missin link when I go visiting and I exclaim in my language the 4 of them run to me with their big ready to learn eyes asking what that means I tell them sometimes other times I ask them to place pressure on their parents to teach them. About the school, the uk is not just london, manchester n co , I live in devon and its not bursting at any sleeve better school boku and we are planning to move to dorset when its time for secondary for more boku poshness of cos if you live in a run down area your kids are likely to speak street language. Education is an all rounder in short as a big fan of CC she nailed it yet again.
I have come to the conclusion though that culture, language, love for home country, communication with immediate extended family, values are intricate part of a child's upbringing and absolutely needed for a great interpersonal adult life.
Think positive about the situation and donot be concerned about tunisians
Re: State Vs Independent School In Uk by queensmith: 12:41am On May 10, 2011
right up my alley! lol

independent all the way!!!!!! Depending on the area you live a state school can be very detrimental to your childs education and social welfare.

Sending your child to an independent school gives him/her opportunities you will NEVER find in state schools. Nepotism is far from extinct esp here in the UK. Private schools cover wider activities, syllabuses, travel, subjects and the whole. You will never regret sending your child to a private school! Sending your child to state school is a gamble down here.

No2 you want to ignore ofsted reports, they are bias and uninformative, ofsted have a way of exaggerating little differences and playing down MAJOR issues in schools. In regards to the actual school you want to send your child, you need to get to know parents that have done the same. I feel the most reliable way is checking the ideal secondary schools and where most of the best students attended. Trust me theres always a common 1.

It also has to be mentioned primary school is vital for your childs social network, I am sending my children to private schools to ensure he/she is around those I wont mind them emulating.
debosky:

so you can register kids from 3 months?? shocked

I better get my act together.

looool look at this one!!! even in my early 20s with ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA on who I plan to marry, I've already started making applications to secondary schools on behalf of my 3 unborn kids!! (i know i sound crazy!!) but heard rumours of 10 year waiting lists and unfortunately i dont know any saudi Arabian monarchs!
Re: State Vs Independent School In Uk by Ilelobola: 10:41pm On Jun 08, 2011
Thanks for all your replies, I discovered the Property section shortly after posting this and not been back here for some time.

With regards to registering for schools from 3 months, I remember trying to get my daugther into the highest ranked Nursery in the area and the lady said they have a 2.5year or so waiting list and I'm thinking, surely that means you must have enrolled before being pregnant since the kids start at 2+. Otherwise she just didn't fancy my Naija accent  undecided .

On sending children to Nigeria one of my cousins gets round it by taking her children to Nigeria for all of their summer holiday every year where they attend summer school. It's interesting when they come back and wonder why the teacher had to shout so loud at someone for something they consider to be flimsy etc. But regardless, they always look forward to it, they mix with other children based in Nigeria and learn the culture. Unfortunately as more children in Nigeria sef don't speak the local languages any more, they still come back speaking English.

My almost 4 year old understands some Yoruba as I made an effort with her initially but I stopped unconsciously. Her sister doesn't even understand "wa" (come). I will definitely start that again.

Chaircover,
Congratulations. I've always respected your comments in this section and was pleased to read about your achievement in property section. Nice.
Re: State Vs Independent School In Uk by monkeyleg: 2:46pm On Jun 09, 2011
Independent or state? makes very little difference if the Parents don't actually get involved in the schooling. Whilst there are benefts of both systems, it it really different strokes for different folks. Some of the best Primary and secondary schools happen to be faith based state schools

(1) (Reply)

Ladies And Marriage Desperation / Using Lime To Avoid Pregnancy. Is This True? / How Do I Get Out?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.