Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,254 members, 7,880,943 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 09:41 AM

I Currently Need Your Sincere, Unbiased advice - Career (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / I Currently Need Your Sincere, Unbiased advice (24606 Views)

Between Medicine And Pharmacy Which Is More Lucrative Currently? / 10 Mistakes You Are Currently Making That Might Damage Your Chance Of Success / Advice Concerning : I Currently Need Your Sincere, Unbiased Advice (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Currently Need Your Sincere, Unbiased advice by HRMK: 7:15am On Apr 28, 2021
u can survive and get enough savings to go back to school on repairs to phones and computers!all within one or two years!!
Re: I Currently Need Your Sincere, Unbiased advice by HaykynLibra: 10:25am On Apr 28, 2021
Do u have any institution one can learn programming sir..
eddy42:

From my little experience I would advise you to go for a 9-18 months programming course part time as you can mix up the learning and menial jobs, you also get a certificate for it that you can use to apply for a B.Sc to 200lvl straight.

Having coding skills or a digital marketable skill is the first step as you can try freelance with your skills while pushing for your dream. Goodluck
Where do you reside?
Re: I Currently Need Your Sincere, Unbiased advice by Sheffdon: 10:26am On Apr 28, 2021
elbulk:

You can learn Data Science from Google on Coursera, you can get this for free (mail me and I can direct you on how to get the scholarship). With this, you can even get remote jobs and you can finish this course in a few months.
It is a lucrative area.

You can also consider open university while you work. it is a very viable option or lookup Nexford University they also have a scholarship program in partnership with sterling bank. It's online too.
Thank you very much. I've emailed you sir
Re: I Currently Need Your Sincere, Unbiased advice by Sheffdon: 10:30am On Apr 28, 2021
eddy42:

From my little experience I would advise you to go for a 9-18 months programming course part time as you can mix up the learning and menial jobs, you also get a certificate for it that you can use to apply for a B.Sc to 200lvl straight.

Having coding skills or a digital marketable skill is the first step as you can try freelance with your skills while pushing for your dream. Goodluck
Where do you reside?
I stay around Alagbado, Lagos
Re: I Currently Need Your Sincere, Unbiased advice by Sheffdon: 10:34am On Apr 28, 2021
Anaerobi:
What a Loving Dad that wants the best for his son....

From the depth of my heart, I pray may doors open... May you and your family be favoured before God and before Men...

talk with Dad, convince him to understand that you know how difficult things are, that you want to start a better job, then promise him you will get back to school once you have some saves.... and you should also do your best to keep to your promise.
Good morning. I've replied to your email sir. Thanks

1 Like

Re: I Currently Need Your Sincere, Unbiased advice by Nobody: 12:26pm On Apr 28, 2021
Sheffdon:
Now, to be honest, I just clocked 26. I was done with my sec. education way back in 2012. Due to one problem to the other, i couldn't further. I had to involve myself in some menial jobs to sustain myself for the meantime and along the way, i learned phone and computer engineering and i do brush through some very important books occasionally.

Why not try federal schools like Unilorin. State universities are quite expensive. Learn programming if you can but set your eyes on less expensive schools.
Re: I Currently Need Your Sincere, Unbiased advice by eddy42(m): 1:02pm On Apr 28, 2021
Sheffdon:
I stay around Alagbado, Lagos
Ooh okay,
Google GIZ’s address in Lagos though they can enroll you to any programming academy for free if you’re lucky.
Re: I Currently Need Your Sincere, Unbiased advice by eddy42(m): 1:03pm On Apr 28, 2021
HaykynLibra:
Do u have any institution one can learn programming sir..
Depends on what state you reside but there are numerous good ones in the Major cities
Re: I Currently Need Your Sincere, Unbiased advice by HaykynLibra: 1:12pm On Apr 28, 2021
I stay in Lagos sir
eddy42:

Depends on what state you reside but there are numerous good ones in the Major cities
Re: I Currently Need Your Sincere, Unbiased advice by eddy42(m): 1:53pm On Apr 28, 2021
HaykynLibra:
I stay in Lagos sir
There’s Afrihub and co, I don’t stay in lagos though
Re: I Currently Need Your Sincere, Unbiased advice by elbulk(m): 2:04pm On Apr 28, 2021
Sheffdon:
Thank you very much. I've emailed you sir

I responded but have not gotten another response from you
Re: I Currently Need Your Sincere, Unbiased advice by frozen70(f): 2:11pm On Apr 28, 2021
Sheffdon:
Now, to be honest, I just clocked 26. I was done with my sec. education way back in 2012. Due to one problem to the other, i couldn't further. I had to involve myself in some menial jobs to sustain myself for the meantime and along the way, i learned phone and computer engineering and i do brush through some very important books occasionally.

This is where I need your wise opinion guys. Dad got into a problem when i was about to finish sec. School and since then,hes been repaying debt till now. Infact, debt has consumed all his salary. He's just borrowing from peter to pay Paul to survive.

And he's still of the opinion that i go to school. I got admission to study pharmacy at OOU in 2018, paid the acceptance fee but couldn't pay school fees and i lost it for good. So he wants me to try again but where will he even see the money when school wahala comes again? He's gonna go the borrowing way again i guess; compounding the problem we have at hand

So I've been thinking....what if i go back to factory work, then get myself a computer and learn programming "frontend development for a start"? I want to dedicate atleast 1 to 2 years to learn it. Then after that, i would proceed to school either on part time or full because i still want to further my education to get the b.sc cert. at the minimum.

Honourable men and women, CONSIDERING THE NIGERIA OF TODAY, i need your wise words at this critical junction of my life.

If I'm done with the programming, can it atleast sustain me a little bit?

Should I faithfully follow my dad's intention or just go through my own plan?

Thanks

Am sorry to say this, your dad can't help you if you get any admission, you will be stranded and frustrated with the whole process

You may not be able to meet up and it's worst for you to start and can't go beyond first year due to financial crisis

Just follow your heart, learn a skill if you can and save money to train yourself

Why are you not bringing your mum to this issue, if she can help talk with her and if she doesn't have any to offer, just train yourself
Re: I Currently Need Your Sincere, Unbiased advice by Sheffdon: 3:04pm On Apr 28, 2021
[quote author=ETHIX post=101172623][/quote] Good Afternoon sir. I've emailed you. please check your inbox
Re: I Currently Need Your Sincere, Unbiased advice by Sheffdon: 3:20pm On Apr 28, 2021
30naira:

If you are interested in learning programming, I can teach you html, css, javascript and PhP for free. Let that be my contribution
I've mailed you boss. Pls check your inbox

Thanks
Re: I Currently Need Your Sincere, Unbiased advice by Sheffdon: 3:37pm On Apr 28, 2021
eddy42:

Ooh okay,
Google GIZ’s address in Lagos though they can enroll you to any programming academy for free if you’re lucky.
yi browsed through their site. They didn't list programming skills only vocational training

How do you suggest I go about it?
Re: I Currently Need Your Sincere, Unbiased advice by Josywhyte: 4:41pm On Apr 28, 2021
Go for the programming first. After a few years u can start a part time and still be working. This will now help get some burden off of the shoulders of your dad
Re: I Currently Need Your Sincere, Unbiased advice by Bukky001(m): 5:39pm On Apr 28, 2021
kkins25:
no wonder naija no dey move forward. God give you hand, give you legs, give you brain, but you still want make he provide solution for you..

In the book of Proverbs (written by the wisest man). it quotes "commit ur ways to God and he will set your path straight". another verse in the Bible says "lean not on your own understanding". . . Those hands and legs are not enough to guide you,
Re: I Currently Need Your Sincere, Unbiased advice by eddy42(m): 10:52pm On Apr 28, 2021
Sheffdon:
yi browsed through their site. They didn't list programming skills only vocational training

How do you suggest I go about it?
Locate their office
Re: I Currently Need Your Sincere, Unbiased advice by HaykynLibra: 12:03am On Apr 29, 2021
Okay. Thanks
eddy42:

There’s Afrihub and co, I don’t stay in lagos though

1 Like

Re: I Currently Need Your Sincere, Unbiased advice by PeaceGeorge223: 1:04am On Apr 29, 2021
All I have to say is that, with the current situation of Nigeria if you are a student you must have atleast on skill that will serve as source of income

Learn the skill get back to school to succeed

God be with you
Re: I Currently Need Your Sincere, Unbiased advice by Sheffdon: 2:20pm On May 02, 2021
EJEHSON:
Getting a computer and learning that programming is best for you.
Let me use myself as an example. Completed my secondary school at the age of nineteen, no money to further, I got a job, and from that Job I was able to pay my way through the university and also paying my rent comfortably without bothering my parent. After my NYSC, I didn't bother much looking for a job, I continue doing same Job and am growing in it. Am happily married with kids. Just completed my masters degree. If I get a better job, I'll switch, if I don't, I'll continue doing this because it's paying my bills.
Now, in your own case, get your computer and involve in something that will fetch you little money without bothering your parents for money. Manage and see your self through school and maybe something better might come your way. You already know you dad's problem, so relying on him for your education might be fruitless or even if he manage to pay your fees, you might struggle to meet other needs.
No time is ever late for one to get education.
pls what kind of job of i may ask
Re: I Currently Need Your Sincere, Unbiased advice by Zeeknow3245(m): 2:45pm On May 13, 2021
kennethfranc:
Sometimes, when I read other people's stories, I get encouraged...
OP @26 and still full on hope while am already being discouraged going for a 6yrs course cuz of age ( Veterinary medicine) while I will be 20 by September
People are there to discourage you because of misinformation. I am a Veterinary dude too. Chat me up.09132191637

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

10 IT Jobs Of The "Highest Salary" You Should Consider. / Things You Should Never Share At Work / Sack: Pilots, Engineers Threaten To Shut Down All Airlines

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.