Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,187,503 members, 7,932,634 topics. Date: Tuesday, 27 August 2024 at 10:25 AM

Parents Who Want You To Study Medicine Love You For Real Do It ! - Career (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Parents Who Want You To Study Medicine Love You For Real Do It ! (19389 Views)

Must I Study Medicine Or Pharmacology In Order To Sell Drugs In Nigeria? / Top5 Jobs That Pay More Than Medicine / How To Study Medicine In UK (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Parents Who Want You To Study Medicine Love You For Real Do It ! by NOwazobia: 9:45pm On Apr 29, 2021
Plead:
Foolish post.
The post is hyper foolish from the headline, and I never bothered reading it.

1 Like

Re: Parents Who Want You To Study Medicine Love You For Real Do It ! by haybhi1(m): 9:46pm On Apr 29, 2021
OP, well spoken. I'd be glad to chip in some input.
Look guys, medicine doesn't have to be expensive in Nigeria. All it needs is your determination and never-die-easy demeanour. Then you're on your way to the top.

Just get in a FEDERAL University, it is quite cheap there.
As not-so-long as 2017, my acceptance fee in 100L was 20,000, school fee is 27,500 for the session. In my school, you don't buy handout or pay for anything else - or, maybe some miscallenous little bucks. Accommodation was off-k, 30,000(with option to continue yearly for 24,000). Meanwhile, some guys in 100L slept in Mosque, others Church, and thus paid no dime for accommodation, or some 5,000 for lodge maintenance. This means with less than 50,000, you can study medicine for the first year, besides feeding fee.

Second year, school fee is around 50,000. Accommodation: 40,000 - school hostel.

Third year, school fee, around 60,000.
Accommodation: 40,000 - school hostel.

With this pattern, 6 years may gulp around 600,000, which is very fair and can easily be fended for a year round.

Mind you, I'd like to point out that I wrote jamb 5 times, each time edging close except the first time - I once got disqualified for one mark less in post utme.

Also, I didn't need connection to be admitted in a school that might fall in my state's catchment area or anything.

So, you see, your major excuse not to study medicine when you yearn for it is you. It's not to give you some false hope it's going to be easy or walk-over - I and many guys I know here have no girlfrien - or saying it's flatly cheap - many of us spurt out of the humblest of backgrounds here.

If your mind's there, it's another opportunity to add a feather to your cap. No limitations.

1 Like

Re: Parents Who Want You To Study Medicine Love You For Real Do It ! by Akwamkpuruamu: 9:46pm On Apr 29, 2021
ikillbrokegirls:
Which area in IT

Cloud Computing
Re: Parents Who Want You To Study Medicine Love You For Real Do It ! by LegalWolf: 10:26pm On Apr 29, 2021
33bandit:

whats the hazard allowance of an architect again ?
and tell me ..apart from the civil service where can an architect practice again ?

now how many design studios do we have in nigeria again ?

Brooooo to answer your question, the job market for architects is wide!!!! And I don’t know why u decided to single out architect in my explanation. My point has been that anyone who studies professional course stands a better chance at the job market and this is not limited to medicine.

I’m a lawyer and the job opportunities are massive. I can work in a law firm, NGO, legal/secretariat department of corporate bodies, banks, civil service, court just name it. However, u and I know that can’t be said for medical doctors as their skill set is limited to hospitals alone.

While I concede that medical doctors are in great demand offshore (outside Nigeria), however, I reckon that they don’t stand better chance with good paying jobs at the *Nigerian* labour market than other professionals. This is the fulcrum of my point.
Re: Parents Who Want You To Study Medicine Love You For Real Do It ! by Nobody: 10:53pm On Apr 29, 2021
Re: Parents Who Want You To Study Medicine Love You For Real Do It ! by Nobody: 10:56pm On Apr 29, 2021
33bandit:
sequel to this thread , https://www.nairaland.com/6525528/mum-insists-medicine-nothing

....I've had a similar encounter which im inundated to share .
I grew up in a loving family tbh there wasn't a case of tyranny or blackmail ,my parents just try to give you enough reasons why you should do certain things until you run out of arguments to buttress why you don't think their discisions is or was rather the right one

anyways I had passion for technical drawing during the course of secondary school ,I was one of the best students in that art form ,however my first jamb which I registered and had applied architecture was a disaster, although I could remember vividly we was in a friendly competition as to who would secure admission first coupled with the pressure of writing waec and neco

I think I discovered nairaland during that time because we scout the internet throughout the night with our illegal phones looking for who would send the waec expo ,shit was wild tbh

long story short after being shown the realities of the job market in nigeria and using alot of relatives as examples loooool ..I finally settled for medicine..im an average student ,that is to say I've to work hard befor I get good grades ...,not naturally high IQ for those who care about the neurological aspect ,thats what it is

wrote jamb 5 times and now I'm here ..did I regret studying med? ..never did, there are challenges but whatever it is ,it would be worth it .

the job market for medical sci graduate is wide and one does not have to be at the hospital everyday to have that fulfilment ,some of my seniors are now teachers in the dept .
thing is medicine just propels you to a second class citizen immediately you graduate
as far as ones parents would fully support them to study medicine I don't see reasons why they should refuse that offer ,shit is expensive anyway .

whatever you do in nigeria ..passion is never enough ,just do what works ,this isn't anyway deride people who have followed their passion and made it

there's always a percentage lads .

NB I didnt edit this ,time no dey!

You make more money not being an architect but the chief engineer in charge of the project. Speaking from experience.
Re: Parents Who Want You To Study Medicine Love You For Real Do It ! by ikillbrokegirls: 10:58pm On Apr 29, 2021
Akwamkpuruamu:

Cloud Computing

Bro this one is good too too but I want you to learn something more advance it'll help
Re: Parents Who Want You To Study Medicine Love You For Real Do It ! by Nobody: 11:03pm On Apr 29, 2021
LegalWolf:

Brooooo to answer your question, the job market for architects is wide!!!! And I don’t know why u decided to single out architect in my explanation. My point has been that anyone who studies professional course stands a better chance at the job market and this is not limited to medicine.

I’m a lawyer and the job opportunities are massive. I can work in a law firm, NGO, legal/secretariat department of corporate bodies, banks, civil service, court just name it. However, u and I know that can’t be said for medical doctors as their skill set is limited to hospitals alone.

While I concede that medical doctors are in great demand offshore (outside Nigeria), however, I reckon that they don’t stand better chance with good paying jobs at the *Nigerian* labour market than other professionals. This is the fulcrum of my point.

Law overrated that course is expensive and most law firms 50k.
Re: Parents Who Want You To Study Medicine Love You For Real Do It ! by calcal: 12:24am On Apr 30, 2021
Sure, you are a black person but think like a white person.

Some of those parents just want to show off that my child is a doctor.

And some think that one can make a better living as a doctor.

Presently, I think software engineering is the way out, easy money, and lots of opportunities.

Offpoint1:
Now I understand why Nigeria and ALL black nation is backward... their love for money.

98% of Nigerians go to school because of MONEY A.K.A JOB.... No selfless drives, no drives to invent things that will register their names on a golden book.
The whites knows how money driven the black nations are, that's why they keep luring them out and buy them off.

DOCTOR pays WELL
ENG. PAYS well

This pay well, that well....

Nigerians parents wants you to make up for their failures, it has nothing to do with LOVE.
Re: Parents Who Want You To Study Medicine Love You For Real Do It ! by oludaniels777: 12:36am On Apr 30, 2021
CSTRR:

You don't need to be exceptionally intelligent to do medicine.

You just need to know how to read.

Their books are voluminous.

People that like reading big novels would do well in medicine.
They would pass their medical exam easily.

BIGGEST LIE. Reading is very different from studying. TO excel in medicine you've got to be above average.

1 Like

Re: Parents Who Want You To Study Medicine Love You For Real Do It ! by AllenSpencer: 12:46am On Apr 30, 2021
Such parents are demons

In 2021, trying to override your children's wish, aspiration, choice and zeal.

Call a spade a spade. Such parents are demons

They will even end up choosing a wife or husband for you.

1 Like

Re: Parents Who Want You To Study Medicine Love You For Real Do It ! by oludaniels777: 1:15am On Apr 30, 2021
If you have the passion, pls give medicine a consideration. You will not regret it. Especially if you get out of the country to places like the US, Canada, UK, Australia, even South Africa. Al these countries are actively looking for physicians from 3rd world countries. Canada has special visa opportunity for physicians. So also is the USA. A doctor in training(residency) in the USA gets paid $50k- $70k per year. Thats 23m-33m Naira yearly. When you finish training( after 3-5 years depending on the specialty) salary jumps to between $250k to over $1m per year depending on your specialty. Convert that to Naira? That's 118m naira to over 400m naira every year, or 10m naira - 33m naira every month even as a junior doctor. There is no limit to the earnings. The more you are ready to work, the more the money you can make. But keep in mind that youll pay about 25% - 35% of that in Taxes. But the remaining is still substantial. And you will get to become American citizen in the process. Same thing apply in Canada.UK and Australia is not too different. There is nothing that beats the fact that you are earning that much while helping people and making people lives better. However remember that medical profession is stressful in these countries. But the stress is usually nothing to average Nigerian.

4 Likes

Re: Parents Who Want You To Study Medicine Love You For Real Do It ! by Shudi4me(m): 5:11am On Apr 30, 2021
PROGRAMMING pays heavily than any job you can mention in this world. Make your findings.
Re: Parents Who Want You To Study Medicine Love You For Real Do It ! by bereto(m): 5:21am On Apr 30, 2021
I had a friend who is good with media but his dad wanted him to study engineering just because he had friends who in high places like shell and nnpc, after 1 year my friend dropped out, went and interned at a radio station free for a year, because he was so good he got employed full time as a sports oap, he was so good within 6 moths they promoted him, now after 3 years he's going to school and taking care of the family.

My point is although medicine is nice but it is the safest choice of course in nigeria and a symbol of hope for parents, no real change, no real passion, no real talent, just go make sure you pass you'll get a job easily, but other professions you have to show your worth and make a difference even after you finish school and most parents can't wait and won't assist because it's difficult job proving yourself in an already difficult country
Re: Parents Who Want You To Study Medicine Love You For Real Do It ! by ProfAmaben(m): 6:16am On Apr 30, 2021
33bandit:
sequel to this thread , https://www.nairaland.com/6525528/mum-insists-medicine-nothing

....I've had a similar encounter which im inundated to share .
I grew up in a loving family tbh there wasn't a case of tyranny or blackmail ,my parents just try to give you enough reasons why you should do certain things until you run out of arguments to buttress why you don't think their discisions is or was rather the right one

anyways I had passion for technical drawing during the course of secondary school ,I was one of the best students in that art form ,however my first jamb which I registered and had applied architecture was a disaster, although I could remember vividly we was in a friendly competition as to who would secure admission first coupled with the pressure of writing waec and neco

I think I discovered nairaland during that time because we scout the internet throughout the night with our illegal phones looking for who would send the waec expo ,shit was wild tbh

long story short after being shown the realities of the job market in nigeria and using alot of relatives as examples loooool ..I finally settled for medicine..im an average student ,that is to say I've to work hard befor I get good grades ...,not naturally high IQ for those who care about the neurological aspect ,thats what it is

wrote jamb 5 times and now I'm here ..did I regret studying med? ..never did, there are challenges but whatever it is ,it would be worth it .

the job market for medical sci graduate is wide and one does not have to be at the hospital everyday to have that fulfilment ,some of my seniors are now teachers in the dept .
thing is medicine just propels you to a second class citizen immediately you graduate
as far as ones parents would fully support them to study medicine I don't see reasons why they should refuse that offer ,shit is expensive anyway .

whatever you do in nigeria ..passion is never enough ,just do what works ,this isn't anyway deride people who have followed their passion and made it

there's always a percentage lads .

NB I didnt edit this ,time no dey!

Computer science (software engineering) is a billion times better than this medicine of a thing.
Why do doctors love making other disciplines look inferior?

Is medicine really tougher than any Branch of engineering or mathematics?

The average salary of a software engineer is a million naira monthly. A software engineer or Web developer with 5 years of experience would earn the salary of a medical consultant.

Read your medicine cos you love it and not because of money.
Re: Parents Who Want You To Study Medicine Love You For Real Do It ! by Akwamkpuruamu: 6:39am On Apr 30, 2021
ikillbrokegirls:

Bro this one is good too too but I want you to learn something more advance it'll help
Like?? I want to know
Re: Parents Who Want You To Study Medicine Love You For Real Do It ! by Bluntemperor: 6:42am On Apr 30, 2021
Marvieduke:
Studying medicine was difficult and I hail those that studied that course because you guys are the real deal to life. Cheers to all doctors and nurses all over the world.

God bless the womb that produced you!
Many would come on-line to rant!
'My Parents wouldn't allow me what I wanted to study o' bla,bla,bla! Blaming Parents for a better choice in this Nigeria Society today.Is it just to make money? Yes and No.Yes to life and No to those who are on all the social media,yet nothing have they invested to benefit the populace.!
Ask those in Secondary Schools, especially the Science class, the choice of Medicine is 70%to other courses but reality will soon done on them with percentage of their aggregate Waec and Jamb scores.Do yo know that if 120 Medical Students starts the Course in a College only 40-50 % goes through.Bro, the Course is for real men and same all over the World!
In Medicine,you must love it because it's about life and you work to safe it.Medicals Students have no time for frivolity as their Teachers and Professors are balanced in knowledge at all times.Spending 8-good years,dissecting and analysing every Human- Parts and making a rightful conclusions,no be SERE-SERE!
Imagine releasing a half baked Doctors to the Society,then just imagine the death rate!!!!!
In Medicine,their is money and it depends on the aspects you focus on.In America, when a medical doctor enters a shop,he is allowed to buy anything because the shop owner knows that his paycheck could afford it! That is why Doctors and other professionals in Nigeria do switch to other clime! Don't blame them,for throughout their lives, they don't go on a recess!
The way we think in Nigeria,may be due to so many things collapsing, including the Health Care System, but it doesn't mean it's not working in USA,China, Israel, Britain or even Dubai!
So what is the difference:our focus and priorities as a nation and is sad that our leaders chose to patronise other Nations Health Care.When your National Assembly,State Assembly,Presidency ,Ministers go for Medical Tourism,they are wasting our Resources as similar Hospitals could be built here in Nigeria ,but chose to waste our hard-earned foreigh currencies to the detriment of Nigerians.Then they say 'the Naira value is falling' who is fooling who?
Bravo to our Doctors and shame to Nigerian leaders.So,if you can't beat them,then join the Medical race for its passion and rewarding.
No be by force! Stop the Parents blame game!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Parents Who Want You To Study Medicine Love You For Real Do It ! by charlsecy(m): 6:42am On Apr 30, 2021
33bandit:
Second class?
Re: Parents Who Want You To Study Medicine Love You For Real Do It ! by captainbangz: 6:42am On Apr 30, 2021
isthatso:

1. Learn how to bold
2, read again what I wrote.
I didn't say you were wrong, I only said I know someone. ok?
Re: Parents Who Want You To Study Medicine Love You For Real Do It ! by Tilykay(m): 7:34am On Apr 30, 2021
McStoic:

It doesn't count and you are chalking up my comments? Chaiii. Anyways, we are in a public forum and I have equal rights to express my opinion. He did compare doctors to other health professionals and i just mirrored his submissions.

As for me, give me pharmacists and take doctors. I have doctors as relations and friends who I love and admire, but pharmacy appeals more to me. Cos you tend to achieve more in shorter time when compared to medicine

I didnt mean to offend you. Sorry if I did.
It's all fine, I get.

1 Like

Re: Parents Who Want You To Study Medicine Love You For Real Do It ! by Nobody: 7:43am On Apr 30, 2021
ProfAmaben:

Computer science (software engineering) is a billion times better than this medicine of a thing.
Why do doctors love making other disciplines look inferior?

Is medicine really tougher than any Branch of engineering or mathematics?

The average salary of a software engineer is a million naira monthly. A software engineer or Web developer with 5 years of experience would earn the salary of a medical consultant.

Read your medicine cos you love it and not because of money.

since they can be compared side by side ...then all im saying is an mbbs degree propels you to the top faster than any other vocation .there are no 50/50 chances inbetween ..its a sure thing
Re: Parents Who Want You To Study Medicine Love You For Real Do It ! by Nobody: 7:44am On Apr 30, 2021
BiggyB242:

You make more money not being an architect but the chief engineer in charge of the project. Speaking from experience.
ask the chief engineer how he got to become the chief engineer .you'd be surprised at the level of connection involved
Re: Parents Who Want You To Study Medicine Love You For Real Do It ! by ProfAmaben(m): 7:46am On Apr 30, 2021
33bandit:

since they can be compared side by side ...then all im saying is an mbbs degree propels you to the top faster than any other vocation .there are no 50/50 chances inbetween ..its a sure thing

I disagree. I have an unemployed MBBS holder who happens to be my cousin, if you have a job for him, I would be glad to reach out.

See, an entry level software engineer earns about a thousand dollars even in Nigeria. I doubt if there are doctors that earn above 300k fresh from uni.

All the same, we love our doctors kiss
Re: Parents Who Want You To Study Medicine Love You For Real Do It ! by Marvieduke(f): 8:29am On Apr 30, 2021
Bluntemperor:

God bless the womb that produced you!
Many would come on-line to rant!
'My Parents wouldn't allow me what I wanted to study o' bla,bla,bla! Blaming Parents for a better choice in this Nigeria Society today.Is it just to make money? Yes and No.Yes to life and No to those who are on all the social media,yet nothing have they invested to benefit the populace.!
Ask those in Secondary Schools, especially the Science class, the choice of Medicine is 70%to other courses but reality will soon done on them with percentage of their aggregate Waec and Jamb scores.Do yo know that if 120 Medical Students starts the Course in a College only 40-50 % goes through.Bro, the Course is for real men and same all over the World!
In Medicine,you must love it because it's about life and you work to safe it.Medicals Students have no time for frivolity as their Teachers and Professors are balanced in knowledge at all times.Spending 8-good years,dissecting and analysing every Human- Parts and making a rightful conclusions,no be SERE-SERE!
Imagine releasing a half baked Doctors to the Society,then just imagine the death rate!!!!!
In Medicine,their is money and it depends on the aspects you focus on.In America, when a medical doctor enters a shop,he is allowed to buy anything because the shop owner knows that his paycheck could afford it! That is why Doctors and other professionals in Nigeria do switch to other clime! Don't blame them,for throughout their lives, they don't go on a recess!
The way we think in Nigeria,may be due to so many things collapsing, including the Health Care System, but it doesn't mean it's not working in USA,China, Israel, Britain or even Dubai!
So what is the difference:our focus and priorities as a nation and is sad that our leaders chose to patronise other Nations Health Care.When your National Assembly,State Assembly,Presidency ,Ministers go for Medical Tourism,they are wasting our Resources as similar Hospitals could be built here in Nigeria ,but chose to waste our hard-earned foreigh currencies to the detriment of Nigerians.Then they say 'the Naira value is falling' who is fooling who?
Bravo to our Doctors and shame to Nigerian leaders.So,if you can't beat them,then join the Medical race for its passion and rewarding.
No be by force! Stop the Parents blame game!

Well said, I wish our leaders would reason the way you just spoken, because our health care system is in shambles and a shame to those who practice medicine. My prayers is that the doctors and nurses in Nigeria shouldn't give up on their ethics as life savers. God bless them.
Re: Parents Who Want You To Study Medicine Love You For Real Do It ! by ndidibabe(f): 9:10am On Apr 30, 2021
ictjobber:
No parent want their kid to suffer..
Passion doesn't pay bills in Nigeria, but a good degree does. And the only good degree in Nigeria na MBBS, others na nonsense — The oga pata pats of them all na BL (BACHELOR OF LAW).
Very funny. I do not think Docs are well renumerated. I have a doctor friend and we both finished from Ife several years ago. Her salary is 240k per month in a big hospital. I started an IT career in the banking industry with almost that same figure and that was more than 10 years back.
Re: Parents Who Want You To Study Medicine Love You For Real Do It ! by LegalWolf: 10:53am On Apr 30, 2021
BiggyB242:

Law overrated that course is expensive and most law firms 50k.

Loooooooool. Even as NYSC associate, I made way more than 50k. See, if you come out with good grades, your chances of working in but fit firms are high and may pay their NYSC in excess of 120k.

Again, let’s tell ourselves the truth. Most hospitals (private and average) pay very low salaries. Most companies (private and average) pay low salaries. Same apply to engineering and audit firms. It is only the prestigious ones that pay well. So why exempt law firms?

Still on my point, doctors don’t have any advantage. I know for a fact that I earn more way well than my doctor colleagues that we served together.
Re: Parents Who Want You To Study Medicine Love You For Real Do It ! by UCHIHAmask: 12:59pm On Apr 30, 2021
Herbephe1:

I agree with some of your points, but I will never allow any of my children to study biochemistry, l ignorantly chose it in jamb with the hope of transferring to medical course, but here in kd, the transfer is only meant for indigen, lately I was given mls at sokoto federal University (udus) but insecurity is really discouraging!!
run,run,run to MLS!!!!!!
e get y.
Re: Parents Who Want You To Study Medicine Love You For Real Do It ! by Nobody: 1:08pm On Apr 30, 2021
ProfAmaben:

I disagree. I have an unemployed MBBS holder who happens to be my cousin, if you have a job for him, I would be glad to reach out.

See, an entry level software engineer earns about a thousand dollars even in Nigeria. I doubt if there are doctors that earn above 300k fresh from uni.

All the same, we love our doctors kiss

lol
Re: Parents Who Want You To Study Medicine Love You For Real Do It ! by Nobody: 1:11pm On Apr 30, 2021
LegalWolf:

lol lawyers weh dey collect 50k for this side ..amd the oay deals with number of cases they attend to ..with thier china white and worn out shoes .please give a better example everyone knows law aint shit
Re: Parents Who Want You To Study Medicine Love You For Real Do It ! by Zeeknow3245(m): 2:04pm On Apr 30, 2021
UCHIHAmask:

run,run,run to MLS!!!!!!
e get y.
Run to which MlS? Abeg it is better he does nursing than MLS. MLS prospect within and Abroad is not even up to nursing.
Re: Parents Who Want You To Study Medicine Love You For Real Do It ! by Zeeknow3245(m): 2:10pm On Apr 30, 2021
Herbephe1:

I agree with some of your points, but I will never allow any of my children to study biochemistry, l ignorantly chose it in jamb with the hope of transferring to medical course, but here in kd, the transfer is only meant for indigen, lately I was given mls at sokoto federal University (udus) but insecurity is really discouraging!!
Ogbeni go and do Nursing.I don't support Japa but I know you like Japa. Do Nursing even as a male people dey find you. The discrimination is much but the prospect is better. You're sorted for within and abroad. Nursing is somewhat independent if not more independent than MLS. MLS are good at taking orders. I wouldn't say you should reject the admission oo but consider Nursing. Consider Prospect, independence,money and Entrepreneurship.
Re: Parents Who Want You To Study Medicine Love You For Real Do It ! by Nobody: 6:18pm On Apr 30, 2021
LegalWolf:

Loooooooool. Even as NYSC associate, I made way more than 50k. See, if you come out with good grades, your chances of working in but fit firms are high and may pay their NYSC over 120k.

Again, let’s tell ourselves the truth. Most hospitals (private and average) pay very low salaries. Most companies (private and average) pay low salaries. The same applies to engineering and audit firms. It is only the prestigious ones that pay well. So why exempt law firms?

Still, on my point, doctors don’t have an advantage. I know for a fact that I earn more way well than my doctor colleagues that we served together.

Law is overrated, is expensive, and the cutoff point into schools is as high as medicine. I will choose medicine over law because in as much as they are both expensive, and getting into the University to study both courses are difficult; after graduation doctors have more job opportunities. You can't see a graduate of medicine and surgery without a job in Nigeria.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Can An MBA Holder Go For A Phd In Management? / Nigerian Civil Service Rules / FRSC Salary Structure: Salary Of Federal Road Safety Corps

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.