Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,201,204 members, 7,977,549 topics. Date: Thursday, 17 October 2024 at 10:05 AM

Stop Calling It “garri”, Check Out What It Is Rightly Called. - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Stop Calling It “garri”, Check Out What It Is Rightly Called. (17009 Views)

This Is My Proud Sotho Culture, Stop Calling Me Zulu (PICS) / Stop calling It "Snake Servant "See The Real English Name / Stop Calling Your Mum "MUMMY" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Stop Calling It “garri”, Check Out What It Is Rightly Called. by KingTom(m): 12:44pm On Apr 28, 2021
Draslo:
In the very wise words of Fela;

"If you say you be colonial man,
You don be slave man before
Them don release you now
But you never release yourself."
E be so, e be so e be so dem dey overdo all the things wey dem dey do e be so grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Stop Calling It “garri”, Check Out What It Is Rightly Called. by surckerg(m): 12:46pm On Apr 28, 2021
So you don't know what they call "Local name" Abi,

I no wan blame you sha, cause e be like say you no be Science student

So if I wan beg garri from you, I go say bros please give me granulated cassava? And you no go tell me to go eat my English

Or you will go to a Moi moi seller and tell them to give you bean budding and dem no go dey look you like crazy fellow...

This is Nigeria and we have local name for everything, depending on which side of the country you are. Same goes to every other country throughout the world...

#Slaverymentality
Re: Stop Calling It “garri”, Check Out What It Is Rightly Called. by FirmTR(m): 1:27pm On Apr 28, 2021
Nigerians too dey over do.

Naso one madam rice and pepper soup for my area won deaf our ear with english wey she dey speak to her little daughter. If e nor good for your mouth, quit.

I nor know why some people (parents) dey see pidgin as forbidden language, dem prefer english.

God know say i go teach my children pidgin well.
Re: Stop Calling It “garri”, Check Out What It Is Rightly Called. by ProphetofOdin: 1:44pm On Apr 28, 2021
We too like play for this country

https://lddy.no/x6rj
Re: Stop Calling It “garri”, Check Out What It Is Rightly Called. by DMCY: 2:00pm On Apr 28, 2021
besofast:
Stop Calling it “Garri”, Check Out What it is Rightly Called.

There are many items in the world today whose real names have been wrongly used by many. Many persons in Nigeria, have created and popularized names of several items and products; which are totally different from their original name.

Regarding this article, we shall be looking at 5 different items or local foods whose real names have been wrongly used by many in Nigeria. See them below.

1.    “Garri” (Granulated cassava or cassava granules).

The granulated cassava is no doubt, one of the most common food in Nigeria and Africa at large. It is commonly called “garri”, but for the sake of the right communication and usage, its real name is granulated cassava or cassava granules.

2.    “Moi-Moi” (bean pudding).

Bean pudding is a common meal that is usually called “moi-moi” in the local Nigerian word usage.

3.    “Zobo” (Hibiscus tea).

Zobo is the native name given to the African drink made from the Roselle plant. The proper name for it; is Hibiscus tea or Roselle plant tea.

4.    “Akara” (Bean buns)

Akara is another popular African meal that is made with beans. Its proper English name is bean buns.

5.    Kuli -Kuli (Peanut bars).

Kuli- Kuli is another popular meal or local snack that is commonly made in the northern part of Nigeria. It can be eaten alone or can be combined with beverages, its real name is peanut bars.

SOURCE: https://naijacampusjams.com/stop-calling-it-garri-check-out-what-it-is-rightly-called/

Thanks for this @op

But go to any market near you and tell the [b][/b]zobo woman you wan buy hibiscus tea or the moi moi woman you wan buy bean pudding grin

The funniest of it all is that kulikuli you called Peanut bars grin grin cheesy

OP talk true no be moimoi you sef Dey call am when you want to buy?

1 Like

Re: Stop Calling It “garri”, Check Out What It Is Rightly Called. by Nobody: 2:31pm On Apr 28, 2021
Agidi jollof nko?
Re: Stop Calling It “garri”, Check Out What It Is Rightly Called. by Richy4(m): 3:05pm On Apr 28, 2021
liveyourlife007:
go to market and say you want to buy cassava granules, I trust those Yoruba market women, they will insult heaven and Earth from your body. they will be like "weyrey, o gboyinbo lo wan ra garri Loja"

grin grin grin grin grin
The born again garri seller wey no wan insult am go say she never sell cassava granules for her life... Na only Garri she dey sell

3 Likes

Re: Stop Calling It “garri”, Check Out What It Is Rightly Called. by Walkee: 4:25pm On Apr 28, 2021
You have zero idea how language work.
There's no name for anything on earth. Language is arbitrary, anything a group of people, in a cert geographical location accept to call an object is it's name.
There's literally no way on earth you will go to the market and tell traders you want to buy granulated cassava that you won't end up embarrassing yourself

1 Like

Re: Stop Calling It “garri”, Check Out What It Is Rightly Called. by Nickymezor(f): 4:42pm On Apr 28, 2021
Which one b Beans buns OP na Beans cake I know oo(Akara)
Re: Stop Calling It “garri”, Check Out What It Is Rightly Called. by emae009(m): 4:54pm On Apr 28, 2021
when we stop being inferior and second class. Mexico calls their street food "Taco" ... everywhere in the world it's called Taco. And you want us to call Garri that contraption you wrote there. If foreigners can't pronounced Garri, there should take online class for that. Enough of all these nonsense

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Stop Calling It “garri”, Check Out What It Is Rightly Called. by arkonpoint: 5:13pm On Apr 28, 2021
Shey oyinbo dey eat Garri ni? Abi, oyinbo Sabi fry Akara, them no dey take Pap either. We originate all these and we will call it whatever we deem fit
Re: Stop Calling It “garri”, Check Out What It Is Rightly Called. by Nobody: 5:36pm On Apr 28, 2021
All these illiterates forming English untop our own local foods. Why are Nigerians like this nah?. Must it be the western countries that will give us names for everything? All these things you mentioned are our local foods and the names we call them are Ok. Tell us the local name for pizza and ice cream nah.

Garri na garri abeg.
Re: Stop Calling It “garri”, Check Out What It Is Rightly Called. by olamide0147: 5:59pm On Apr 28, 2021
chatinent:
Abi if I call it garri, e no go answer me?
Abi how many garri sellers knows it called cassava granules
Re: Stop Calling It “garri”, Check Out What It Is Rightly Called. by olamide0147: 6:00pm On Apr 28, 2021
Nickymezor:
Which one b Beans buns OP na Beans cake I know oo(Akara)
All in all na still akara

1 Like

Re: Stop Calling It “garri”, Check Out What It Is Rightly Called. by Tekzyflex(m): 6:31pm On Apr 28, 2021
Will the name reduce the prize in the market?? Garri nah garri leave mata

1 Like

Re: Stop Calling It “garri”, Check Out What It Is Rightly Called. by cybriz82(m): 6:35pm On Apr 28, 2021
Enter ikotun market tell them say u want buy (Granulated cassava or cassava granules) n see if u will not sleep in d market that day..
Re: Stop Calling It “garri”, Check Out What It Is Rightly Called. by LOVEGINO(m): 7:27pm On Apr 28, 2021
Carry am go bank go collect money.
Re: Stop Calling It “garri”, Check Out What It Is Rightly Called. by BlakKluKluxKlan(m): 8:35pm On Apr 28, 2021
Trash.
Re: Stop Calling It “garri”, Check Out What It Is Rightly Called. by pek(m): 9:08pm On Apr 28, 2021
Nbotee:
Sometimes we end up sounding stupid while trying to feel enlightened.. Pizza is an Italian name, spaghetti is an Italian name, basically every international delicacy U know is named in the native name of the countries dey are from but a Nigerian who is still struggling for relevance is trying to tell us garri is supposed to have an English name
I wish I could like this your post more than once. The op and his likes are suffering from inferiority complex.
Re: Stop Calling It “garri”, Check Out What It Is Rightly Called. by MISSCONGENIALITY(f): 9:23pm On Apr 28, 2021
Let me call Queen Eliza and find out if she knows what garri is and what what's it's called in her language if she says she knows.
I will be back.
Re: Stop Calling It “garri”, Check Out What It Is Rightly Called. by femi4: 9:46pm On Apr 28, 2021
Garrium Sulphite G2SO4

Soluble in concentrated h20 in the presence of c6h1206
Re: Stop Calling It “garri”, Check Out What It Is Rightly Called. by Vanilla4(f): 10:25pm On Apr 28, 2021
Don't replace our words with that of the whites. In many other countries in the woryd, some food are called certain names and don't needs a white man correction.
Re: Stop Calling It “garri”, Check Out What It Is Rightly Called. by President666: 10:25pm On Apr 28, 2021
OK
We hear
Thank you
Re: Stop Calling It “garri”, Check Out What It Is Rightly Called. by SEGLIZ: 2:57am On Apr 29, 2021
the OP is suffering from 'complex disorder.'

1 Like

Re: Stop Calling It “garri”, Check Out What It Is Rightly Called. by Herbephe1(m): 4:32am On Apr 29, 2021
Everyone understands Gari as Gari in Nigeria, irrespective of your tribe, as long as English is meant for understanding, don't tamper with Our Gari.,.

moimoi is the dictionary, advance Lerner's dictionary for that matter, you can't be vocabulary driven than the dictionary itself...
Re: Stop Calling It “garri”, Check Out What It Is Rightly Called. by flyingdutchman(m): 7:29am On Apr 29, 2021
OP, you are just plain cheap and lack appreciation for your own culture.
Re: Stop Calling It “garri”, Check Out What It Is Rightly Called. by Fekechukwu: 8:05am On Apr 29, 2021
I agree with you the OP don't have common sense even a name like chioma, OP will say it's not correct name but "God is good" is the correct name.

otipoju:

Try and borrow yourself a small brain. No let ITK turn you to mumu.

Garri is garri, akara is akara small time you go say your name is not Adebayo and the correct name is " Crown meets Joy " because you dont have single sense.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Obasanjo Hosts Independence Aniversary Debate, Anambra Wins / JAMB Cancels UTME Result Of Another Candidate / Some Yoruba Idioms And Its English Meaning

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.