Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,181,676 members, 7,914,820 topics. Date: Thursday, 08 August 2024 at 12:12 PM

Which Sedan Would Be Able To Tow An Suv In A Gully? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Which Sedan Would Be Able To Tow An Suv In A Gully? (983 Views)

Suggest An SUV Of 2m To Buy For My Wife / N1.3billion Karlmann King: The Most Expensive SUV In The World / Mercedes Benz Embeds Entire G-Class SUV In Amber For DNA To Live Forever(Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Which Sedan Would Be Able To Tow An Suv In A Gully? by Thazard(m): 10:27pm On Apr 28, 2021
I know this is a very silly question but is there any sedan car able to tow an SUV in a deep gully?

Kingreign
Gazzuzz
nurey
Heavenlybang
Re: Which Sedan Would Be Able To Tow An Suv In A Gully? by Ahmad62(m): 5:09am On Apr 29, 2021
Ford Taurus... D car get Muscles fah..lol
Re: Which Sedan Would Be Able To Tow An Suv In A Gully? by Conner44: 8:34am On Apr 29, 2021
i don't know of any sedan but i know most subaru hatchbacks are excellent 4wd vehichles for towing
Re: Which Sedan Would Be Able To Tow An Suv In A Gully? by HeavenlyBang(m): 8:41am On Apr 29, 2021
Thazard:
I know this is a very silly question but is there any sedan car able to tow an SUV in a deep gully?

Kingreign
Gazzuz
z
nurey
Heavenlybang

I wouldn't attempt it.
Re: Which Sedan Would Be Able To Tow An Suv In A Gully? by kingreign(m): 8:44am On Apr 29, 2021
Thazard:

Kingreign
Gazzuz
z
nurey
Heavenlybang

An S80 v8 when fitted with a tow hitch can tow close to 1.7tons. That said, I won't even attempt such needless stunts.

1 Like

Re: Which Sedan Would Be Able To Tow An Suv In A Gully? by nurey(m): 8:53am On Apr 29, 2021
Thazard:

Kingreign
Gazzuz
z
nurey
Heavenlybang

Transmission destruction

suspension collapse

Chassis deformation.

All these can occur when you attempt the feat and when the land caves in more, the sedan could also get pulled into the gully. Look for a good 4WD truck with live axle and enough torque to do it, the only sedan I can think of is all those subaru forester

1 Like

Re: Which Sedan Would Be Able To Tow An Suv In A Gully? by jabolo(m): 12:00pm On Apr 29, 2021
nurey:

Transmission destruction

suspension collapse

Chassis deformation.

All these can occur when you attempt the feat and when the land caves in more, the sedan could also get pulled into the gully. Look for a good 4WD truck with live axle and enough torque to do it, the only sedan I can think of is all those subaru forester

I disagree somewhat - from an Engineering perspective. It's a comfortable rule of thumb but it's the Engine Torque figure that counts, or rather the Torque curve (availability at low RPM is important). Some sedans have more torqued engines than some SUVs so this generalization doesn't hold.

And, the chassis/transmission/suspension of any car - Sedan or SUV - would be (or, ought to be) designed to handle the maximum Torque it can produce from its belly.
Re: Which Sedan Would Be Able To Tow An Suv In A Gully? by nurey(m): 1:47pm On Apr 29, 2021
jabolo:

I disagree somewhat - from an Engineering perspective. It's a comfortable rule of thumb but it's the Engine Torque figure that counts, or rather the Torque curve (availability at low RPM is important). Some sedans have more torqued engines than some SUVs so this generalization doesn't hold.

And, the chassis/transmission/suspension of any car - Sedan or SUV - would be (or, ought to be) designed to handle the maximum Torque it can produce from its belly.

Thank you engineer but you have still not told us what sedan has the required torque to tow out an SUV from a gully.

I don't want to delve much into physics but you realize a gully would require two forces upwards and forwards, an SUV in itself would find it hard to tow another SUV from that gully compared to a sedan.

2 Likes

Re: Which Sedan Would Be Able To Tow An Suv In A Gully? by radautoworks: 2:03pm On Apr 29, 2021
Any heavy muscle car with high torque and AWD would do it. The state of the vehicle after? grin grin
Also, a maybach grin

2 Likes

Re: Which Sedan Would Be Able To Tow An Suv In A Gully? by jabolo(m): 2:04pm On Apr 29, 2021
nurey:

Thank you engineer but you have still not told us what sedan has the required torque to tow out an SUV from a gully.

That sedan that has as much Torque as the SUV you have in mind.
Re: Which Sedan Would Be Able To Tow An Suv In A Gully? by nurey(m): 5:20pm On Apr 29, 2021
jabolo:

That sedan that has as much Torque as the SUV you have in mind.

You are an ASE technician grin I bow

2 Likes

Re: Which Sedan Would Be Able To Tow An Suv In A Gully? by HeavenlyBang(m): 5:39pm On Apr 29, 2021
jabolo:

That's not how it works. A sedan chassis isn't designed to handle that specific application.

(1) (Reply)

How God Saved An Entire Family From Ghastly Accident / Nissan Primera 2000 / I Need Front Bumper Tokunbo For Acura 3.5rl Car

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.