Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,170,755 members, 7,879,286 topics. Date: Wednesday, 03 July 2024 at 03:28 PM

Who To Blame For Post Election Violence? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Who To Blame For Post Election Violence? (8648 Views)

Nigeria Should Prepare For Post Boko Haram – UN Analyst / Group Supplies ICC With Evidence Linking Buhari To 2011 Post-election Violence / Election Violence Fears: Politicians, CEOs Move Families Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who To Blame For Post Election Violence? by dayokanu(m): 7:43pm On Apr 25, 2011
~Bluetooth:

You mean nipped as in Afghanistan,Iraq,somalia or Darfur  style abi? extremism is a bigger challenge to Nigeria and it's not just starting now,it's has been around since the colonial era o do you still want to know why Lugard didn't support missionary and introduction of western education in sokoto caliphate ? The fact still remains that the previous governments have failed to address extremism and almajirism and I can tell you that even if Nigeria securitu is 100% perfect,there will still remain the problem of exremism to address.

Do you think there are no xtians extremists in west?. Why are they not able to carry out their nefarious acts? Because their govt act on security alerts and not wait until they strike before now blaming someone for their lack of foresight.

Well if you want to compare Nigeria a country that has a president to failed states like Somalia, Darfur etc GOODLUCk to you
Re: Who To Blame For Post Election Violence? by Kobojunkie: 7:45pm On Apr 25, 2011
mikeansy:

I challenge you to show me a post where you have resoundly condemned the acts of these hoodlums. This madness has been going on for two weeks, so show me a post where you specificly condemned the violence.

Dude, why do you keep failing my hand today ooO!!!!

So, because I have not attacked the criminals(whose identities no one knows of), but have chosen instead to call on peopl to urge their Government to move swiftly to investigate and prosecute the criminals, means I excuse the criminals of their crimes?? AAARRRRGGGHHHH!!!!

Who dey there oo?? Make you hold me back now make I no go call orunmila/Shango to dissect this dude brain for where im dey now!!!  angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry

Are you intensionally acting a mo-ron today or what??   angry angry angry angry
Re: Who To Blame For Post Election Violence? by Nobody: 7:51pm On Apr 25, 2011
Kobojunkie:

Dude, why do you keep failing my hand today ooO!!!!

So, because I have not attacked the criminals(whose identities no one knows of), but have chosen instead to call on peopl to urge their Government to move swiftly to investigate and prosecute the criminals, means I excuse the criminals in this case?? AAARRRRGGGHHHH!!!!

Who dey there oo?? Make you hold me back now make I no go call orunmila/Shango to dissect this dude brain for where im dey now!!!  angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry

Are you intensionally acting a mo-ron today or what??   angry angry angry angry

I am falling your hands because anyone farmiliar with you know your history of bigotry.

Are you telling me that if a racist white American stabs his black neighbour to death, the FBI will be blamed for not knowing who habours hate and who does not?

The long term solution is to attack that very culture of hate. So the idea that in two weeks of this violence targeted to certain kinds of Nigerians you have not found it necessary to condemn such hate simply means you condone it. Rather you find time to ppoint accusing fingers to the Presidency. It is a very despicable diversionary tactic!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Who To Blame For Post Election Violence? by Nobody: 7:52pm On Apr 25, 2011
Everybody takes a share in the blame. The government, the politicians, the religious leaders, the people etc.
Re: Who To Blame For Post Election Violence? by werepeLeri: 7:55pm On Apr 25, 2011
When will these foolish diasporians stop making stu pid insinuations and arguments on NairaLand? They are so stu pid, ras and foolish that every statement they make is an indication of their joblessness and frustrated life.
Re: Who To Blame For Post Election Violence? by Nobody: 7:56pm On Apr 25, 2011
And BTW the Government is already investigating the issue. As we speak some hoodlums have already been arrested in Bauchi.

So I don't see the point of your criticism of Government. They are already reacting to the violence which is the much they can do.

If you are saying the Government must know who habours so much hate to attack fellow Nigerians before they actually attack, then I will say that your President is not Clark Kent. Grow up daughter!!!!
Re: Who To Blame For Post Election Violence? by Kobojunkie: 8:00pm On Apr 25, 2011
Anywho. . . . .

[size=13pt]Why not blame your Government for not adequately providing security for the people? 16000, and counting, is the estimated number of deaths by riot since 1999.[/size] These riots have become regular as it happens every other month, yet in all 12 years, the response of the Government remains seriously lacking and our police force still remains inadequately effective in quelling the situation. What are we paying the Government? To sit back so we can continue hating each other and deciding who to blame come every riot?

When Katrina happened in America and riots broke out, did you see people on TV blaming black people or white people? NO, they all turned to blame the Government for not providing adequate security and provisions for the people. Why can't we step out of ourselves for once to think properly as a nation
Re: Who To Blame For Post Election Violence? by Nobody: 8:03pm On Apr 25, 2011
dayokanu:

Do you think there are no xtians extremists in west?. Why are they not able to carry out their nefarious acts? Because their govt act on security alerts and not wait until they strike before now blaming someone for their lack of foresight.

Well if you want to compare Nigeria a country that has a president to failed states like Somalia, Darfur etc GOODLUCk to you
So you'd rather compare Nigeria government inability to meet the security challenge in the country to western government's ability to achieve a more stable security yet when it comes to other issues you guys will still be the first to come here with the bootlicking achievement of the west.Im sure the story will change if the west have the kind of almajiris we have in Nigeria.pathetic
Re: Who To Blame For Post Election Violence? by mojojojo(m): 8:10pm On Apr 25, 2011
mikeansy:

The security agencies have a constitutional responsibility on all Nigerians, however except you are suggesting that the Presidency should provide a bodyguard for all Nigerians their response to religious fanatism can only be reactionary. How do you know which man will take up arms to attack the other because they look different, speak a different language or pray to a different God?

The only long term solution to this problem is to arrest those who incite these violence, try them in courts and send them to jail but more importantly to campaign for wide condemnation of the act. If we are a serious Nation the Sultan of Sokoto and the Emirs should have by now mounted the podium, speak in the language these hoodlums understand and condemn these acts. They should also work with their local communities to pass information to security agencies on who finances and plans these babaric acts as well as those who execute them.

But to find justification for this wickedness blame all of it on the Presidency will not help matters. Even advanced countries don't have zero percent unemployment but it is not a licence to kill and maim others. Let us call a spade a spade and stop supporting this madness. Just like I di not condone the activities of MEND, I will not condone this one. Buhari and his CPC members should be investigated properly and brought to book for inciting this violence.

I do not have a solution for the security agencies. I cannot tell or suggest to them what to do. I do not have the knowledge or training to do so.  No doubt the challenges they face are enormous. All we want is for them to be efficient and prevent these problems. Other countries have greater threats and yet seem to nullify them.

I don't think you understand the gravity of the situation. These hoodlums have been neglected by society and do not feel obliged to follow its rules. They do not listen to or respect anyone and everyone is afraid of them. They can turn their wrath and frustration in anyone's direction. It is an oversimplification to assume a person or group of persons are responsible.  This must be treated simply as a criminal affair and security agencies have a duty to see their investigations to its logical conclusion. Anyone found to be responsible should pay.

I am not blaming the President.  But he has to take responsibility and make corrections on the security situation. The Nigerian people are generally good and peace loving and deserve a government that will do everything possible to protect their lives and property.
Re: Who To Blame For Post Election Violence? by kcjazz(m): 8:10pm On Apr 25, 2011
It seems some folks are bent on absolving the government from their duties. What about security reports? Even INEC listed hot spots for the election and what did the govt do?. The issues in the North has swept under the carpet the skirmishes in places like Bayelsa during the same period, or is that one Buhari too?

Tomorrow is guber elections, potential hotspots are Imo, Bayelsa, Akwa Ibom and Delta, lets see what will happen tomorrow.
Re: Who To Blame For Post Election Violence? by Beaf: 8:17pm On Apr 25, 2011
Buhari told almajiri's to lynch, while Bakare told almajiri's in his "wild-wild North" to go to polling stations with matches and kerosine (NN24). Both men also attended rallies with spears.
We all recall the liberal references to "Libya, Egypt and Tunisia rolled into one" and a lot more. Buhari's only campaign tactic was to send out text messages and distribute pamphlets in the mosques on Fridays that described GEJ as a kifir, a zionist and an enemy of Islam.

Following the above and more, there was an org'y of primitive religiously fuelled violence on election day.

Who does the rational mind blame? Its pretty obvious. cool
Re: Who To Blame For Post Election Violence? by Nobody: 8:20pm On Apr 25, 2011
mojojojo:

I do not have a solution for the security agencies. I cannot tell or suggest to them what to do. I do not have the knowledge or training to do so.  No doubt the challenges they face are enormous. All we want is for them to be efficient and prevent these problems. Other countries have greater threats and yet seem to nullify them.

I don't think you understand the gravity of the situation. These hoodlums have been neglected by society and do not feel obliged to follow its rules. They do not listen to or respect anyone and everyone is afraid of them. They can turn their wrath and frustration in anyone's direction. It is an oversimplification to assume a person or group of persons are responsible.  This must be treated simply as a criminal affair and security agencies have a duty to see their investigations to its logical conclusion. Anyone found to be responsible should pay.

I am not blaming the President.  But he has to take responsibility and make corrections on the security situation. The Nigerian people are generally good and peace loving and deserve a government that will do everything possible to protect their lives and property.

May be you need to pay more attention to how countries with stable security achieve it. Policing involves having a society with the right moral values to stand up for right and wrong. You can not have a society that promotes babarism and wickedness and then expect some foreign entity called the police to mantain law and order. The police and the community work hand in hand to maintain law and order. If you have a situation where the prevailing culture is to seek every excuse to kill your fellow citizens then policing becomes a very difficult task in such a society. So what do you do? before policing can be effective then you must aattack the babaric culture itself. This is where we need statesmen in such communities to speak up in defence of peace and to promote peace. But unfortunately and once again Buhari failed to be a stateman.
Re: Who To Blame For Post Election Violence? by Nobody: 8:28pm On Apr 25, 2011
kcjazz:

It seems some folks are bent on absolving the government from their duties. What about security reports? Even INEC listed hot spots for the election and what did the govt do?. The issues in the North has swept under the carpet the skirmishes in places like Bayelsa during the same period, or is that one Buhari too?

Tomorrow is guber elections, potential hotspots are Imo, Bayelsa, Akwa Ibom and Delta, lets see what will happen tomorrow.

Security shouldn't be about election violence ,it should address the fundamental causes of the violence itself.Election or no election,violence is a common language in the North and the government have failed over the years to address it.
Re: Who To Blame For Post Election Violence? by dazdilijae(m): 10:17pm On Apr 25, 2011
Please for once lets call a spade a spade, FACTS:Please tell me if Buhari was arrested during his campain with sticks and spears chanting "Changi changi, kodey gora"(meaning change by force) wouldn't the world have said PDP was intimidating its opponents for fear of defeat? cheesy Now its the security agents that didn't do their jobs PLEASE tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue whats a security report when action on it would provoke more damage? If arrest were made based on perceived hot spots and alleged involvements the after mart would not be what we are talking now and then you cry fowl she? Anyway everyone is innocent till proven otherwise so allowing them their constitutional right just gave the security agents the evidence needed to support its report thus act decisively. Shikena
Re: Who To Blame For Post Election Violence? by mojojojo(m): 10:18pm On Apr 25, 2011
mikeansy:

May be you need to pay more attention to how countries with stable security achieve it. Policing involves having a society with the right moral values to stand up for right and wrong. You can not have a society that promotes babarism and wickedness and then expect some foreign entity called the police to mantain law and order. The police and the community work hand in hand to maintain law and order. If you have a situation where the prevailing culture is to seek every excuse to kill your fellow citizens then policing becomes a very difficult task in such a society. So what do you do? before policing can be effective then you must aattack the babaric culture itself. This is where we need statesmen in such communities to speak up in defence of peace and to promote peace. But unfortunately and once again Buhari failed to be a stateman.
It seems you are being self-defeatist. There is no problem Nigeria has that cannot be solved. There is nothing wrong with Nigerians as a people. The problems you see are a manifestation of Govt's neglect of its responsibilities. Whether or not  intolerance is being promoted is inconsequential. The government has a duty to maintain law and order in any situation it finds itself no matter how difficult. Ruling Nigeria is not supposed to be easy. Difficulty is not an excuse since it is ever present.

Like I said earlier I am not equipped to propose solutions to the security problem in Nigeria and neither are you.  The persons most equipped to solve these problems are the ones whose incompetence has resulted in the loss of lives. All we can do is to demand a certain level of service and protection from our government.
Re: Who To Blame For Post Election Violence? by redsun(m): 10:33pm On Apr 25, 2011
The general moral decadence in nigerian society is to be blamed for what is going on in nigeria.

It can never be better unless the system becomes accountable,responsible and subsequently,productive
Re: Who To Blame For Post Election Violence? by Abagworo(m): 10:38pm On Apr 25, 2011
I blame PDP 100% for everything.Rigging the North was a senseless act.Look at the genesis of the riot.Crowd of youths were at the polling units and made sure of the number of votes for the candidates and were so sure of the votes cast with the info at their polling booths.They move en masse to the collation centre and are restricted by security agents from seeing how the votes are collated.The result comes out and what they see does not correspond with their records.

I think the resultant violence was against PDP interest but in order to defend themselves,ethnic and religious virus was infused by PDP agents.Burning of the Emir of Kano and Zaria's house by their own people is something unheard of in Nigerian history and clearly removes the ethnic and religious angle from the young protesters who felt so bad that their votes was manipulated.
Re: Who To Blame For Post Election Violence? by mojojojo(m): 10:39pm On Apr 25, 2011
dazdilijae:

Please for once lets call a spade a spade i was a victim of the violence in danmagagi in zaria. I couldn't make my trip from zaria 2 Abuja cos d violence had stated in Kaduna at about 11pm sunday nite in a bid 2 avoid it i turn around and headed back 2 zaria only 2 get caught up in it at danmagagi. i thank the God i serve as they lost sight of their mission n wen lootin by belonging which gave me room 2 escape 2 a nearby NNPC installation. Now the facts: The security agents were there patrolling d streets  but couldn't combat the hoodlums cos they had planed d whole tin before hand they came out in little groups of 10s and 20s at almost 50-100 meter from bushes, villages, mosque, you name it so while you chasing team A team B- Zillion were causing me hem in other locations meters away from you. Not only that as you turn 2 dispass team B team A  comes behind with stones and bottle so the only way 2 stop the canage was the use of necessary force which can only be directed by the President and thankGod he did .After the directive d nonsense end as they began 2 see their daggers and stones were too short fro bullets the wise dispassed and sanity returned 2 the streets. We wia eventually rescues by an Operation Yakee squad from where we werehidding Four hours after when my friends and family got tru 2 d Operation Yakee control room which directed a patrol ven to our spot.  Buhari and his fellow dictators who brought all d sufferings we have today from almost 30yrs of military rule are d same people inciting d violence. Please prove me wrong by repeating his post election speech and tell me where he said DONT FIGHT FOR ME all he said was he is not going to court but his party can in other words he is taking it by force like he did in 1984. MR INCORRUPTABLE my foot where in the world does d arm steal and the brain does not know about it? NAME THREE GOVERNORS IN BUHARI'S DICTATORSHIP THAT ARE NOT MILLIONAIRES TODAY?PLEAASSSEEEEEEEEE angry> Tell me if Buhari was arrested during his campain with sticks chanting Changi changi, kodey gora wouldnt you say d PDP was intimidating its opponents cheesy Now its d security dat didnt do dia jobs tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue

I sympathise with you on your ordeal. But what you effectively saying is that a bunch of teenage hoodlums were able to outwit our security forces. The scenario you depicted is only possible if our security forces were outnumbered or ill prepared which brings us back to the original post.

Did you know that Buhari's convoy travelling through Kaduna was attacked by  hoodlums on the same day just like you and some of his entourage were injured?

The truth of the matter is there was a complete break in law and order and the security agencies were unable and unprepared to handle it. Whether or not Buhari is responsible is not the issue here. If he were responsible, does it still absolve the security agencies from blame? If we blame Buhari today who will be blame next time it happens? Or all those previous times these sort of things have happened?
Re: Who To Blame For Post Election Violence? by vladimiros: 10:44pm On Apr 25, 2011
all i remember are uneducated Northerners killing cus they were butthurt

do the logic
Re: Who To Blame For Post Election Violence? by Nobody: 10:48pm On Apr 25, 2011
mojojojo:

I sympathise with you on your ordeal. But what you effectively saying is that a bunch of teenage hoodlums were able to outwit our security forces. The scenario you depicted is only possible if our security forces were outnumbered or ill prepared which brings us back to the original post.

Did you know that Buhari's convoy travelling through Kaduna was attacked by  hoodlums on the same day just like you and some of his entourage were injured?

The truth of the matter is there was a complete break in law and order and the security agencies were unable and unprepared to handle it. Whether or not Buhari is responsible is not the issue here. If he were responsible, does it still absolve the security agencies from blame? If we blame Buhari today who will be blame next time it happens? Or all those previous times these sort of things have happened?

Now it is clear that the reason you want to blame the Government for intolerance of some Nigerians is because you are a Buhari appologist. Just like Buhari is without blemish and how he is not responsible for the coup that brought him to power in 1984. Does the word taking responsibility for your own actions and failures mean anything to you guys at all?

Buhari was busy inciting violence during election and hoping to forment enough trouble to topple the Government, do you remember him drawing correlations with Tunisia and Egypt?  The point is that you people thought the world will buy your baseless gimmick and do not even have the courage to ask your supporters to back down now that project overthrow the Government by force has failed.
Re: Who To Blame For Post Election Violence? by Nobody: 10:51pm On Apr 25, 2011
I maintain that if Buhari wants to seize power by force which seems the only thing he knows how to do, he should be man enough to establish an organised Army that will at least have some decency based on rules of engagement. Instead of using hoodlums to kill young and defenseless corpers.
Re: Who To Blame For Post Election Violence? by mudleyback: 10:57pm On Apr 25, 2011
all these delusional CPC e-supporters are disgusting. blame everyone for these despicable violence except the perpetrators themselves shocked i spit on all of you almajiri sympathizers. may god met on all your immediate families the same horrendous murderous acts these abokis meted on young innocent corpers just because of their ethnic/religious difference. and does this kobojunkie dude even have a life outside of nairaland sef? this dude (pretending to be a female online) with over 20 thousand posts is logged on 24/7 yapping rubbish on the daily. you need to put your own private life in order instead of coming here to take your personal frustration in life out on issues taking place miles away from where you live. you need to look for something productive to do with yourself other than spending your whole entire life arguing with anonymous strangers online. dude get a life! seriously
Re: Who To Blame For Post Election Violence? by redsun(m): 11:02pm On Apr 25, 2011
It is the wayward nigerian leadership that is breeding mass almajiris,militants,kidnappers and agberos in nigeria.Abjectly poor human beings are disillusioned beings and disillusioned beings are ticking time bombs,that is what you have in nigeria today.
Re: Who To Blame For Post Election Violence? by dazdilijae(m): 11:21pm On Apr 25, 2011
@mojojo
i dont blame you for that rubsh i wish you were in the situation and tell me how you would still be reasoning as you do now.I was saved by the security agents so are they not working? listen to youself Buhari was attacked on the same road and yet he got to Abuja with all d hundreds of tyre burning spots and agry looking mob holding his poster in the about 900kilometer road from zaria 2 Abuja, shei dis na real tory he didnt come out of his open roof with his own stick ba? but hundreds of people died died that day cos he said power belongs to the north and it most be taken by force. How senseless that sounds. He is lucky i m not a security agent with d power 2 carrying arms i would have killed the naughty foolish bigot and died a sweet death 2 heal my country.
He thinks he is safe cos he moves around with a crowd of selfcentered bigots like secret cults in Univ who are worthless on their own but feel strong in their number EVERY DAY FOR THE THIEF BUT JUST ONE DAY FOR THE OWNER.
Tell me if the security had made arrests wouldn't you gays have caused more damage than this? why was it preached in mosque like a Simmons each Friday. Security is not only about the immediate it goes way beyond the action but also considers the reactions that's why d police and anti-riot police where out their but like you no they are out numbered and d military only comes in wen it gets d way it did. Wen National security is involved.
Re: Who To Blame For Post Election Violence? by Kobojunkie: 3:31pm On Apr 26, 2011
It is really unnecessary to go around making up stories as ridiculous as the one you have there . . . . grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Who To Blame For Post Election Violence? by DrAdre(m): 7:03pm On Apr 26, 2011
You people should stop Blaming Buhari , You, the Govt and I
Re: Who To Blame For Post Election Violence? by DrAdre(m): 7:04pm On Apr 26, 2011
You people should stop Blaming Buhari , You, the Govt and I
Re: Who To Blame For Post Election Violence? by chyndorek: 7:32pm On Apr 26, 2011
All those who blame jonathan are stupid and useless. When obasanjo was using force, they complained, now jonathan is using diplomacy and the blame him. In short all the supporters of buhari are violent and worthless. It is thier type that has been bringing disunity in this country and therefore must be stopped or we should be prepared to face another tribal war. This time will not be like the late 60s. Be warned and be wise.
Re: Who To Blame For Post Election Violence? by nagoma(m): 7:37pm On Apr 26, 2011
Most riots are caused by injustice or perceived injustice. Is there injustice in the Nigerian polity ? Or is there any reason to have such perception ?even after Buhari's death if the PDP or any government continues to run the country excluding the majority of citizens as it's done now and to buy election results with looted funds there will be reactions and some of that reaction may be violent. The preachers of hate are the enemies of Nigeria and they are many here and are  competing here on NL in directing the most grevious insults and accusations to individuals and groups. They are falling over each other to show how proficient they are in the art of insulting others under cover of cowardly & idiotic pseudonyms.
Re: Who To Blame For Post Election Violence? by Acidosis(m): 7:38pm On Apr 26, 2011
Its either allah or the Quoran. The assurance of entering into the islamic paradise is base on the number of non believers you kill in the name of religion i.e the christians. Now you know the reason y this animalistic carnibals take delight in killin
Re: Who To Blame For Post Election Violence? by nagoma(m): 7:42pm On Apr 26, 2011
Acidosis- we all know who the cannibal tribes  in Nigeria are, and we avoid been lured and eaten up!
Re: Who To Blame For Post Election Violence? by LADEMINUS: 8:08pm On Apr 26, 2011
@mikeansy the sultan of sokoto nd oda religious leaders have gone on record and air to condemn dis acts, why, the emirs were d initial targets for sellng out to d respective riggers. not a few of dem were openly beheaded and palaces burnt. the fact remains dat no one will try this in a country run by serious ppl. if we r to use implications here den it is even gej dat shld be in d firing line for not forestallin dis violence wen buhari made d statement, instead he waited for d carnage and den is stil promising justice, that is wat u r implyin by denying d poor security situation in d country

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

APGA Complied With INEC Guidelines- Oye APGA National Chairman / Borno Residents Show Support For Atiku/Okowa (Videos) / Reuters----80% Lagosians Will Vote Jonathan. How True?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.