Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,185,811 members, 7,927,343 topics. Date: Wednesday, 21 August 2024 at 01:16 PM

Is A Certificate So Important? - NYSC - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / Is A Certificate So Important? (262 Views)

Are You A Graduate Or Just A Certificate Holder? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Is A Certificate So Important? by MathiasT(m): 12:23pm On May 10, 2021
I have so much wanted to share this with you and I hope you will spare me just 2 minutes ( or more ) of your time to read through every line.

Times have changed and priorities for things have also changed. I was discussing with a friend of mine who works as a human resource officer in a recruitment firm in Lagos on the key things they consider will interviewing an applicant and in his words, he said;

" In today's business world, companies and businesses of different set up are more interested in your skills than in the certificate you are carrying ".

He didn't say your certificate is useless ooo. He only said priorities are on your skills that is what is it that you can offer and not what did you study.

A certificate proves that you attended school, a training or a course, sat for an exam and passed it doesn't prove that you can solve a problem in that field. So you studied accounting for four years in the best university you were even the president of your department. 001 sir, businesses are only interested in what you have that can solve their problem.

When I told someone that I am a web designer, he laughed because I studied Sociology in the university and not computer science or programming stuff. But I have seen a so claimed computer scientist with a vast knowledge in programming ( according to his grades ) who can not design a WordPres website ahh.

Tell me something, if you are the HRM of a company that is looking to hire a web designer, between me and that person, who will you hire and did I tell you I have designed 9 websites in total between October 2020 and May 2021 ( I know the numbers are low that is because I have been very busy with social media marketing ).

A degree or a certificate only puts you in the crowd a skill makes you stand out in the crowd.

There are so many skills you can learn but not all the skills are high income skills. A few of the high income skills out there that I will like you to learn at least one of it are; social media marketing, digital marketing, web designing, copy writing, coding and programming, content creation and video editing, negotiation and closing ( sales ). The list is huge but these skills are the most sought after skills in the market.

Bottom line of my epistle to you today is to acquire a high income skill fast even if you want to be a full time 8-6 worker, or you want to be a freelancer like myself.

#skillset

(1) (Reply)

Get Instant 5h And More Just To Register / Canada Visa Relocation Guide / *the State Of Your Health Is A Priority - Dr. Aramide*

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.