Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,873 members, 7,889,914 topics. Date: Monday, 15 July 2024 at 01:32 AM

Obaseki Claims, Nigerians Have More Money Than Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Obaseki Claims, Nigerians Have More Money Than Nigeria (500 Views)

Edo Unemployment Rate Falls From 25.1% To 19%, Obaseki Claims Achievement / Kogi Governorship:Sen.Dino Melaye Claims Nigerians Responsible For Campaign Post / Video:pdp Claims Nigerians Have A Reached A Consensus On Atiku As Next President (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Obaseki Claims, Nigerians Have More Money Than Nigeria by Islie: 1:33pm On May 12, 2021
The governor of Edo State, Godwin Obaseki, has said that many Nigerians are richer than Nigeria as a country.

He stated this in Benin, during a meeting of the State Transmission Committee, with over 27 professional organisations.

The governor, who urged the professionals to collaborate with his administration to expand the state’s tax net to enable the government deliver on its mandate of making the great, expressed concern over the salaries and all sources of emoluments burden of the state, which he said will soon hit N40 billion a year.

Obaseki emphatically told the professionals that the state would be developed with money from Edo people.

He said: “For us as a government to continue to behave the way we used to behave before, when the circumstances that brought us into government are totally different; I think it will be grossly unfair to God and the people of Edo State. We are in government to serve you; we want you to join us and make Edo great again.

“So, without the commitment and collaboration of these different professional groups, there is not much that we can do because right now, we spend almost N40 billion a year in paying people’s salaries and all sources of emoluments.

“In the past, we used to get that amount from oil revenue and now, that amount will have to be paid by taxes from you. Therefore, should you not have an input? Should you not have a say? And that say, should it just be about criticizing the government?

“Truly speaking, if we do not build institutions, if we continue in the old ways, trying to build super stars and strong men, we will have no future, because these strong men will die, then what now happens?”

The governor, who noted that money is no longer available for government as it used to be, insisted that the money “is with us Nigerians. Nigerians have more money than Nigeria. It is the money of Nigerians that will develop Nigeria. It is the money of Edo people that will develop Edo.

“The government can do so much and you have seen what we are trying to do with the little resources that we have. I know how much we can achieve. There is a need for all stakeholders to change their attitude towards contributing to good governance.

“For us as a government to continue to behave the way we used to behave before, when the circumstances that brought us into government are totally different; I think it will be grossly unfair to God and the people of Edo State. We are in government to serve you; we want you to join us and make Edo great again.

“So, without the commitment and collaboration of these different professional groups, there is not much that we can do because right now, we spend almost N40 billion a year in paying people’s salaries and all sources of emoluments.”

“In the past, we used to get that amount from oil revenue and now, that amount will have to be paid by taxes from you. Therefore, should you not have an input? Should you not have a say? And that say, should it just be about criticizing the government?” he asked.

https://dailytimes.ng/obaseki-claims-nigerians-have-more-money-than-nigeria/

lalasticlala
Re: Obaseki Claims, Nigerians Have More Money Than Nigeria by kinzation(m): 1:37pm On May 12, 2021
Obaseki wey dey ment grin grin

The thing they funny me sha

Oloriburuku Governor

Shey citizens dey get money pass them country ni grin
Re: Obaseki Claims, Nigerians Have More Money Than Nigeria by Nobody: 1:41pm On May 12, 2021
Any body with basic knowledge of economics know this as a fact

Reason I tell people if igbos decide to actively fund ESN ...Nigeria army can't match it ooh

1 Like

Re: Obaseki Claims, Nigerians Have More Money Than Nigeria by PlayMaker14: 1:42pm On May 12, 2021
kinzation:
Obaseki wey dey ment grin grin

The thing they funny me sha

Oloriburuku Governor

Shey citizens dey get money pass them country ni grin
Oloriburuku governor because he chased out Tinubu and Oshiomhole from Edo State?

Go and read about Pablo Escobar, it will give you an insight of what the governor is saying.

3 Likes

Re: Obaseki Claims, Nigerians Have More Money Than Nigeria by kinzation(m): 1:55pm On May 12, 2021
Bro
Let me.make this known to you
These polithiefians all have the same agenda
Forget about the tantrums of obaseki chasing out tinubu and Oshiomole..
They still work hand in hand

Besides in relation to the Pablo escobar story
The Nigerians he's actually talking about are his fellow politicians in the game of stealing and looting
PlayMaker14:
Oloriburuku governor because he chased out Tinubu and Oshiomhole from Edo State?

Go and read about Pablo Escobar, it will give you an insight of what the governor is saying.
Re: Obaseki Claims, Nigerians Have More Money Than Nigeria by slivertongue: 1:56pm On May 12, 2021
sure
Re: Obaseki Claims, Nigerians Have More Money Than Nigeria by PlayMaker14: 2:01pm On May 12, 2021
kinzation:
Bro
Let me.make this known to you
These polithiefians all have the same agenda
Forget about the tantrums of obaseki chasing out tinubu and Oshiomole..
They still work hand in hand

Besides in relation to the Pablo escobar story
The Nigerians he's actually talking about are his fellow politicians in the game of stealing and looting
Well that doesn't give you the right to address him like that when your own governor is not better...

By the way, You conclude too quickly... How do you know he's talking about his fellow politicians?

Don't you think he might as well be referring to Noble men like the C.E.O of AirPeace? Or Tony Elumelu?

6 Likes

Re: Obaseki Claims, Nigerians Have More Money Than Nigeria by kinzation(m): 2:06pm On May 12, 2021
PlayMaker14:
Well that doesn't give you the right to address him like that when your own governor is not better...

By the way, You conclude too quickly... How do you know he's talking about his fellow politicians?

Don't you think he might as well be referring to Noble men like the C.E.O of AirPeace? Or Tony Elumelu?
your defensive response though grin

I take it you're from Edo state abi grin grin

I don't conclude so quickly.its something I know
No be for this obodo naija again ?lol..

The hands of the Noble men too ain't clean
Just that they have ogas stealing high figures
Re: Obaseki Claims, Nigerians Have More Money Than Nigeria by ivolt: 2:08pm On May 12, 2021
Obaseki proving dumber everyday. No wonder he "graduated" with a pass.
The collective wealth of any non-communist country's citizens is always greater than that of the government.

His next "revelation" would be that Nigeria government get its money from oil.
Re: Obaseki Claims, Nigerians Have More Money Than Nigeria by PlayMaker14: 2:10pm On May 12, 2021
kinzation:
your defensive response though grin

I take it you're from Edo state abi grin grin

I don't conclude so quickly.its something I know
No be for this obodo naija again ?lol..

The hands of the Noble men too ain't clean
Just that they have ogas stealing high figures
You actually don't know what you're saying then...

I am not from Edo State.... Have a lovely day.

2 Likes

Re: Obaseki Claims, Nigerians Have More Money Than Nigeria by kinzation(m): 2:13pm On May 12, 2021
PlayMaker14:
You actually don't know what you're saying then...

I am not from Edo State.... Have a lovely day.

oga come here grin
Have a seat

Then tell me where you're from
Re: Obaseki Claims, Nigerians Have More Money Than Nigeria by dvdwed(m): 2:16pm On May 12, 2021
That is a fact. Tinubu is richer than Lagos state, he can fund the state's budget if he chooses.

Many Igbos are richer than their state.

But the thiefy thiefy spirit of politicians have ruined this entity.

The only sane thing is to restructure Nigeria or quit it.

(1) (Reply)

10 Things To Know About Queen Nerita Ezenwa As She Steps Out With Fani-kayode / Government Should Account For Who Killed These Persons. / Seems Twitter Is Actually Inaccessible

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.