Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,189,349 members, 7,937,060 topics. Date: Sunday, 01 September 2024 at 12:06 PM

Techniques To Help You Read And Remember - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Techniques To Help You Read And Remember (876 Views)

How Can A Medical Student Read And Remember? / 95-Year-Old Kenyan Woman Enrolls In School To Learn To Read And Write / The Science Of Learning: How To Study, Understand, And Remember All You Read (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Techniques To Help You Read And Remember by Ebonygeek(f): 9:55pm On May 15, 2021
[center]
Techniques to Help You Read and Remember

When I was in secondary school, ss1 to be exact, my classmates had a special word they usually used, to describe the process you go through, when you're seated in an exam hall and you've got no idea what the answers to the questions are.

They called it "roasting".

Imagine coming out of the hall, and your friends are laughing at you and saying "you were just roasting", lol. It's quite embarrassing.

So to avoid that, whenever I encountered a question that I didn't know the answer to, what I simply did was rewrite the question on my answer sheet very slowly, to give the illusion that I wasn't roasting.

In the long-run, it was obviously a bad idea because I would lose marks.

Many people don't really enjoy reading. For some people, after studying, they find it difficult to remember the things they've read.

Whether we like it or not, reading is important if you want to perform any task--it could be to pass an exam, to understand how to operate a piece of machinery or to order food from your favorite restaurant.

So the big question is, how can you read and effectively remember all that you've read?

I did some research and was able to find a few strategies that might be of help to you:

1. The Use of Mnemonics (Pronounced ni-mo-niks)

A mnemonic is a tool that can help you to remember specific details or large quantities of information.

It can take the form of a song, a rhyme, an acronym, a picture, a word, or even a sentence.

Consider this example:
"My Very Excited Mother Just Served Us Nine Pizzas" can be used to remember the order of the planets, as Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune and Pluto.

The above is a sentence Mnemonic. If you can't form a sentence with the information you're trying to remember, try singing it according to the beat of your favorite song.

If you can remember the lyrics to Burna Boy's songs, why shouldn't you be able to remember the lyrics to a song you compose by yourself?

Modal Mnemonics is another variation of this learning technique. What you do, is to represent the information in the form of a table, a pie chart, pyramid, with arrows or any diagram of your choice that can help you to recall it.

Another variant of this learning method is Image Mnemonics. After reading a block of text and understanding it, you pick out a special word from the text and draw an image related to it somewhere on your note.

The sillier the image is, the more likely you are to remember what it's associated with.

The picture doesn't even have to be silly, it just needs to be something that can help you recall what's on that page.

Although it's a great way to learn, Mnemonics need to be used sparingly (for stuff that's difficult to remember), because if you create too many of them, you can end up mixing them up and confusing yourself.

2. Make Use of Flashcards

A Flashcard is a piece of paper with information written on both sides to serve as a memory aid.

To use Flashcards efficiently, read the topic to your understanding, then pick out keywords from the topic that can help you remember the things you read.

For example, if you're reading about Centralization of government, the word "center" should let you recall that it means executive and legislative powers are concentrated centrally at the highest level.

For difficult concepts or topics, pick the words with complex meanings and write them on your cards along with their definitions.

3. Apply the Information to Real Life

Trying to associate some of the information you read, with real life
situations, can help you recall them easily.

For instance, if you watched Game of Thrones, you'll know that the series is a perfect explanation of the Feudal system of government.

A system that was practiced during the middle ages, when the rulers or lords would give their military soldiers lands in exchange for their service.

If you can recall, House Lannister was one of the richest houses because of the number of lands they possessed, among other things.

Are you reading about environmental pollution? Think about the pollution you've observed around you. The ones you've seen on TV news and the internet.

As you read, whenever possible, try to link the information to real life.

4. Watch Movies That Explain Different Concepts or Books

This point is self-explanatory (especially for art students). There are many books that are being adapted into movies. Search for them, download them, and watch them.

This would be particularly helpful if you're a visual learner (I'll write about that in my next article, stay tuned).

If you're trying to understand Artificial Intelligence and human evolution, you can consider watching a movie like "Space Odyssey".

Medical students could try watching "Awakenings"

Numerous movies relating to various school subjects abound on the internet. Just Google them. I can't begin to tell you about all the stuff I've learned from watching series like "The Big Bang Theory", "Breaking Bad" and others.

5. Try the Visualization Technique

In this method, you close your eyes and try to picture your notebook in your mind. Try to recall a certain page and what's written on the page.

Many people apply this technique during tests and exams, when they're stuck on a difficult question.

Just calm down, breathe and try to remember the paragraph where the answer is located.

6. Make Use of Learning Apps

There are so many apps that aid learning available on Playstore.

Browse for apps relating to your course of study.

Even if you're too busy to use them regularly, they might be of help when you're stuck waiting on a queue, or waiting for a lecturer to come to your class.

7. Try to Eat Heathy Foods from Time to Time

I know lectures can be overwhelming for you sometimes and you might need to leave your room early on some days, but the things you eat play a vital role in your recollection process.

You can't skip breakfast, eat Gala and Bigi Cola for lunch, then Indomie or bread in the evening, and expect to recall the law of thermodynamics properly.

Your body needs proper nutrients. When you consume the things listed above continually, your body will experience a 'low' (a feeling of sluggishness or sleepiness).

When you can, try to get fruits to provide your body with vitamins. Eat beans and eggs, not just rice, spaghetti and bread.

When you employ these techniques, you'll surely experience better recollection during tests and exams.

If you found this information useful, leave a comment for me below.

If you're interested in seeing more helpful materials like this, go to my profile and click follow.

[/center]

P.s I don't mean follow this page, I mean follow me, so that you can see my future threads.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Techniques To Help You Read And Remember by Nobody: 10:21pm On May 15, 2021
Ebonygeek:
[center]
Techniques to Help You Read and Remember

When I was in secondary school, ss1 to be exact, my classmates had a special word they usually used, to describe the process you go through, when you're seated in an exam hall and you've got no idea what the answers to the questions are.

They called it "roasting".

Imagine coming out of the hall, and your friends are laughing at you and saying "you were just roasting", lol. It's quite embarrassing.

So to avoid that, whenever I encountered a question that I didn't know the answer to, what I simply did was rewrite the question on my answer sheet very slowly, to give the illusion that I wasn't roasting.

In the long-run, it was obviously a bad idea because I would lose marks.

Many people don't really enjoy reading. For some people, after studying, they find it difficult to remember the things they've read.

Whether we like it or not, reading is important if you want to perform any task--it could be to pass an exam, to understand how to operate a piece of machinery or to order food from your favorite restaurant.

So the big question is, how can you read and effectively remember all that you've read?

I did some research and was able to find a few strategies that might be of help to you:

1. The Use of Mnemonics (Pronounced ni-mo-niks)

A mnemonic is a tool that can help you to remember specific details or large quantities of information.

It can take the form of a song, a rhyme, an acronym, a picture, a word, or even a sentence.

Consider this example:
"My Very Excited Mother Just Served Us Nine Pizzas" can be used to remember the order of the planets, as Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune and Pluto.

The above is a sentence Mnemonic. If you can't form a sentence with the information you're trying to remember, try singing it according to the beat of your favorite song.

If you can remember the lyrics to Burna Boy's songs, why shouldn't you be able to remember the lyrics to a song you compose by yourself?

Modal Mnemonics is another variation of this learning technique. What you do, is to represent the information in the form of a table, a pie chart, pyramid, with arrows or any diagram of your choice that can help you to recall it.

Another variant of this learning method is Image Mnemonics. After reading a block of text and understanding it, you pick out a special word from the text and draw an image related to it somewhere on your note.

The sillier the image is, the more likely you are to remember what it's associated with.

The picture doesn't even have to be silly, it just needs to be something that can help you recall what's on that page.

Although it's a great way to learn, Mnemonics need to be used sparingly (for stuff that's difficult to remember), because if you create too many of them, you can end up mixing them up and confusing yourself.

2. Make Use of Flashcards

A Flashcard is a piece of paper with information written on both sides to serve as a memory aid.

To use Flashcards efficiently, read the topic to your understanding, then pick out keywords from the topic that can help you remember the things you read.

For example, if you're reading about Centralization of government, the word "center" should let you recall that it means executive and legislative powers are concentrated centrally at the highest level.

For difficult concepts or topics, pick the words with complex meanings and write them on your cards along with their definitions.

3. Apply the Information to Real Life

Trying to associate some of the information you read, with real life
situations, can help you recall them easily.

For instance, if you watched Game of Thrones, you'll know that the series is a perfect explanation of the Feudal system of government.

A system that was practiced during the middle ages, when the rulers or lords would give their military soldiers lands in exchange for their service.

If you can recall, House Lannister was one of the richest houses because of the number of lands they possessed, among other things.

Are you reading about environmental pollution? Think about the pollution you've observed around you. The ones you've seen on TV news and the internet.

As you read, whenever possible, try to link the information to real life.

4. Watch Movies That Explain Different Concepts or Books

This point is self-explanatory (especially for art students). There are many books that are being adapted into movies. Search for them, download them, and watch them.

This would be particularly helpful if you're a visual learner (I'll write about that in my next article, stay tuned).

If you're trying to understand Artificial Intelligence and human evolution, you can consider watching a movie like "Space Odyssey".

Medical students could try watching "Awakenings"

Numerous movies relating to various school subjects abound on the internet. Just Google them. I can't begin to tell you about all the stuff I've learned from watching series like "The Big Bang Theory", "Breaking Bad" and others.

5. Try the Visualization Technique

In this method, you close your eyes and try to picture your notebook in your mind. Try to recall a certain page and what's written on the page.

Many people apply this technique during tests and exams, when they're stuck on a difficult question.

Just calm down, breathe and try to remember the paragraph where the answer is located.

6. Make Use of Learning Apps

There are so many apps that aid learning available on Playstore.

Browse for apps relating to your course of study.

Even if you're too busy to use them regularly, they might be of help when you're stuck waiting on a queue, or waiting for a lecturer to come to your class.

7. Try to Eat Heathy Foods from Time to Time

I know lectures can be overwhelming for you sometimes and you might need to leave your room early on some days, but the things you eat play a vital role in your recollection process.

You can't skip breakfast, eat Gala and Bigi Cola for lunch, then Indomie or bread in the evening, and expect to recall the law of thermodynamics properly.

Your body needs proper nutrients. When you consume the things listed above continually, your body will experience a 'low' (a feeling of sluggishness or sleepiness).

When you can, try to get fruits to provide your body with vitamins. Eat beans and eggs, not just rice, spaghetti and bread.

When you employ these techniques, you'll surely experience better recollection during tests and exams.

If you found this information useful, leave a comment for me below.

If you're interested in seeing more helpful materials like this, go to my profile and click follow.

[/center]

Thanks bro !!
This awesome !!

1 Like

Re: Techniques To Help You Read And Remember by Ebonygeek(f): 10:25pm On May 15, 2021
gaius01:

Thanks bro !!
This awesome !!
Thanks

BTW I'm female.

1 Like

Re: Techniques To Help You Read And Remember by Nobody: 10:29pm On May 15, 2021
Ebonygeek:

Thanks

BTW I'm female.

Forgive my approach. It's seems you just insert it now ! Anyway, the nugget was awesome.
Thank you ma!

2 Likes

Re: Techniques To Help You Read And Remember by IQvectors: 2:18am On May 16, 2021
I never really knew how to use mnemonics but thanks to you ma am going to give it a try.

1 Like

Re: Techniques To Help You Read And Remember by Nobody: 9:07am On May 16, 2021
Good one, thumbs up @ op

2 Likes

Re: Techniques To Help You Read And Remember by Saviourk: 2:28pm On May 16, 2021
Nice write-up..
More power to ur elbow

2 Likes

Re: Techniques To Help You Read And Remember by Ebonygeek(f): 12:30pm On May 17, 2021
Seems many youths truly don't like reading anymore
Re: Techniques To Help You Read And Remember by SarutobiEky(m): 11:28am On Nov 15, 2021
Ebonygeek:
Seems many youths truly don't like reading anymore
can you teach me how?
Re: Techniques To Help You Read And Remember by blancamorgan: 6:24am On Feb 07
Thanks for sharing,
For more updates of open multiple URL techniques then you visit the site:- https://www.galaxy99.net/navigating-the-web-with-ease-using-open-multiple-url-techniques/

(1) (Reply)

ASUU Hints At Nationwide Strike, Directs Chapters To Declare Lecture-free Day / “no More IELTS”: For Nigerians In Top Canadian Universities / Meet Award-winning Girl Who Built Solar Water Purifier At Age 12 For Her Communi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.