Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,957 members, 7,873,061 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 07:28 AM

Are You Related To All People With Your Surname? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Are You Related To All People With Your Surname? (356 Views)

Man Drags Wife To Court For Changing Children’s Surname To Lover’s / American Woman Shocked To Discover She's Related To Her Husband After DNA Test / Man Changes His Surname To His Mother’s Name (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are You Related To All People With Your Surname? by Joel3(m): 12:12am On May 19, 2021
If for example you met someone with the same surname as yours and you don't know the person. Does it mean you are far related?
Re: Are You Related To All People With Your Surname? by Parable007: 12:46am On May 19, 2021
Yes especially all the rich ones..my surname is not common
Re: Are You Related To All People With Your Surname? by Joel3(m): 12:47am On May 19, 2021
Parable007:
Yes especially all the rich ones..my surname is not common
lol, why the rich ones and not poor ones.
Re: Are You Related To All People With Your Surname? by Kingof2nations(m): 1:13am On May 19, 2021
Ask your self this question
Are you the only one bearing your name currently ?

You know the answer
Anyway in most African societies it could be true as some names are associated with with certain pples

1 Like

Re: Are You Related To All People With Your Surname? by GreaterFuture(m): 1:15am On May 19, 2021
No other person from That state and part of the country bears my Surname. I've only stumbled on one in Facebook Search and she and her family were from Kogi
Re: Are You Related To All People With Your Surname? by Nobody: 6:30am On May 19, 2021
To answer your question in the simplest way possible: That is highly unlikely as a lot of names out there are not as 'uncommon' as you might like to think. Most similarities in surname are nothing more than sheer instances of coincidence.

But speaking for myself, my surname is so rare that it is well known in several parts of my home state that only two families bear it- and these families are really large and far-flung.

So, when you walk up to me and tell me that your surname is------, I am definitely going to ask you a couple of questions just to be sure that we are not "kin"(as they say in days gone by).
Re: Are You Related To All People With Your Surname? by Nobody: 6:39am On May 19, 2021
Kingof2nations:

You know the answer
Anyway in most African societies it could be true as some names are associated with with certain pples

Not just in Africa

Even in the West, such is also obtainable. That's how they get to trace their lineages to some extent.

Sometimes, you find that somebody in a place like the US or some South American country shares some level of kinsmanship with another person in Europe and the link often begins with a shared surname.
Re: Are You Related To All People With Your Surname? by Pavore9: 7:25am On May 19, 2021
Kingof2nations:

You know the answer

There are tribes in Kenya that bear Opara, Ngige, Olubayo , Ejimba, Okonji, Amadi, Okwara.

(1) (Reply)

Daily Tasks For A Clean Bathroom / Facts About Royal Q Trading Robot / Freshly Harvested Strawberries, Irish/ Sweet Potatoes, Fruits And More For Sale

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.