Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,779 members, 7,875,934 topics. Date: Sunday, 30 June 2024 at 03:27 AM

Have You Ever Shared An Apartment? What's Your Experience Like? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Have You Ever Shared An Apartment? What's Your Experience Like? (1686 Views)

An Important Lesson: How Three Sons Shared An Inheritance Of 17 Camels / Divorcees, What's Your Experience Like? / Man Buys His Daughter N35m BMW, A Job, An Apartment For Graduating At 23(Pics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Have You Ever Shared An Apartment? What's Your Experience Like? by CandyOps(m): 10:51pm On May 20, 2021
Hi guys! Have You Ever Shared An Apartment with a Flatmate before? What's Your Experience Like?

Okay here's my current predicament -- the rent for my current accomodation is due
and I'm trying to cut down on expenses till next year. I could relocate to the island by next year from mainland, Lagos.

So, I'm thinking about leaving my current accomodation and moving into a Shared apartment.

My current rent is N500k for a mini-flat.
I can afford it thou but call network signal is poor in the building. I've just spent a year there.

On the other hand, the new shared apartment is a 2 bedroom flat en-suite so I take one and my roommate takes the other. He already paid for everything and resides there but I think he wants to giveaway the 2nd room.

And I'll only have to pay N250k (plus maybe an extra 50k for agency fees)

I think I can manage to share living space for a year because I'm a bit of a loner myself so it's no biggie for me but then I've not shared an apartment with a stranger before so I don't know what to expect or lookout for.

He's employed with NAFDAC and I work online (importation & sales).

We're both in our early 30s and hail from the same state.
And... btw, I'm a stoner. So I really don't know

What's your experience like living with a Flatmate? I need urgent replies because I'll be making a decision tomorrow or next.

Re: Have You Ever Shared An Apartment? What's Your Experience Like? by Hashabiah: 11:06pm On May 20, 2021
It's tough sharing an apartment with a stranger and it often brings unwanted problems. For example, there are habits you won't tolerate on a good day, but to the stranger, they may be routine acts he's comfortable with.

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Shared An Apartment? What's Your Experience Like? by esthel(f): 7:18am On May 21, 2021
The only thing you share is the kitchen so I don't think there should be problem. My friends apartment at Ajah, about 4 of them shared a 3 bedroom flat, the sitting room was partitioned for the 4th person.

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Shared An Apartment? What's Your Experience Like? by CandyOps(m): 10:46am On May 21, 2021
esthel:
The only thing you share is the kitchen so I don't think there should be problem. My friends apartment at Ajah, about 4 of them shared a 3 bedroom flat, the sitting room was partitioned for the 4th person.

Okay sounds good. I think I'll have to make a commitment today or tomorrow. Thanks
Re: Have You Ever Shared An Apartment? What's Your Experience Like? by Nobody: 12:39pm On May 21, 2021
That idea should be shunned because that thing could be very risky especially owing to the high crime rates these days.

It was in a shared apartment mother and daughter were both killed early this week by the person sharing with them.

I never liked the idea. Especially now. It's .
risky.

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Shared An Apartment? What's Your Experience Like? by zed7: 3:58pm On May 21, 2021
esthel:
Typical living amongst those loose girls on the island. 3 to 5 people share an apartment. Sleep all day and work all night.
OP,
If you guys have the same personality and lifestyle, it's easier to live in peace and harmony. I once abandoned a fully paid apartment for my friend when his lifestyle was becoming unacceptable by me. That was in uni days though, I believe working class guys will be more responsible.

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Shared An Apartment? What's Your Experience Like? by wunmi590(m): 4:02pm On May 21, 2021

I haven't done that before, so I would expect expert to share their idea...

Goodluck
Re: Have You Ever Shared An Apartment? What's Your Experience Like? by sisisioge: 7:00pm On May 21, 2021
I did that until 3 years ago....no problem at all. Just ensure the guy is not a werey. Also, ensure you discuss bills sharing upfront and your expectations about privacy. Also, try to separate keys, gate opening, night arrival matter upfront. To avoid "come and open door for me" in the middle of the night, we changed our locks so that we all could open with our keys at any time of the day/night. Again, discuss bills biko. Also, for your sanity, keep your fridge in your room and get your separate locker for food stuff in the kitchen. Try to not to be tempted into jointly buying foodstuff, water, soap and whatever! Lastly, do not be shy to express your displeasure about any overstep of boundaries at the beginning. This is to avoid constant headache all year round. That done, you should be cool. Good luck.

8 Likes

Re: Have You Ever Shared An Apartment? What's Your Experience Like? by CandyOps(m): 12:53am On May 22, 2021
sisisioge:
I did that until 3 years ago....no problem at all. Just ensure the guy is not a werey. Also, ensure you discuss bills sharing upfront and your expectations about privacy. Also, try to separate keys, gate opening, night arrival matter upfront. To avoid "come and open door for me" in the middle of the night, we changed our locks so that we all could open with our keys at any time of the day/night. Again, discuss bills biko. Also, for your sanity, keep your fridge in your room and get your separate locker for food stuff in the kitchen. Try to not to be tempted into jointly buying foodstuff, water, soap and whatever! Lastly, do not be shy to express your displeasure about any overstep of boundaries at the beginning. This is to avoid constant headache all year round. That done, you should be cool. Good luck.

Ok tnx for that. That was precise!

I already know I'm not in for cooking together as a routine. We could cook together once once but not as a habit. I once stayed in a hostel with 10 other boys for 2 whole years in Uni so I already understand the kitchen part

But I no believe say food go be issue between two financially independent people. Except the input is one-sided

I guess I'll just have to talk with him over drinks before making payments. It'll help me clear out those grey areas...

.. I also took note of the bills part. My electronics including my a.c is energy-saving and I think he uses postpaid meters.

Locks, checked ✅
Bills checked ✅
Kitchen. checked! ✅

And... soro soke when I see what I don't like from the onset. Okay �
Checked.

Thanks again for your time

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Shared An Apartment? What's Your Experience Like? by CandyOps(m): 1:03am On May 22, 2021
Hashabiah:
It's tough saring an apartment with a stranger and it often brings unwanted problems. For example, there are habits you won't tolerate on a good day, but to the stranger, they may be routine acts he's comfortable with.

Yep! that's why it's called sharing. I don't mind being flexible for a few months as long we have our own rooms to ourselves. I hope it goes well but then I get to save like 200k
Re: Have You Ever Shared An Apartment? What's Your Experience Like? by gozzlin: 1:06am On May 22, 2021
As it stands, you're the one who will be a big problem to the guy who's trying to bring you in, considering the fact that you're a stoner.

Imagine sharing a flat with a person like you who smokes marijuana(igbo). Highly repugnant. Imagine perceiving that characteristic stench of igbo wafting from your room and pervading the whole flat. Impossible! I cannot share a flat with an igbo smoker like you.

And, I'll advise you not to make any financial commitment yet to the guy until you've informed him of your smoking habit and found out if he can put up with that repulsive stench all day. Otherwise, he will get you arrested one day if he later finds out you are addicted to igbo.

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Shared An Apartment? What's Your Experience Like? by CandyOps(m): 1:07am On May 22, 2021
CharisEleos:
That idea should be shunned because that thing could be very risky especially owing to the high crime rates these days.

It was in a shared apartment mother and daughter were both killed early this week by the person sharing with them.

I never liked the idea. Especially now. It's .
risky.

Yes that's a major concern. I think I'll have to ask the agents to get me the paperwork and I'll do a little background checks on him. Just to make sure I can sleep with both eyes closed

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Have You Ever Shared An Apartment? What's Your Experience Like? by gozzlin: 1:18am On May 22, 2021
For my experience with sharing of an apartment, I did that twice when I first left home to stay on my own. I paid for the apartment and later rented out one of the rooms which was ensuite.

Coincidentally I have only shared the apartment with ladies. There was nothing so special about other than I ended up having a relationship with both of them. On each of the occasions, they both wanted me to marry them just cos we were having sex, but I politely declined.
Re: Have You Ever Shared An Apartment? What's Your Experience Like? by Nobody: 6:48am On May 22, 2021
CandyOps:

Yes that's a major concern. I think I'll have to ask the agents to get me the paperwork and I'll do a little background checks on him. Just to make sure I can sleep with both eyes closed

Ok. Better.
Re: Have You Ever Shared An Apartment? What's Your Experience Like? by esthel(f): 8:31am On May 31, 2021
You already concluded them to be loose girls, that apartment has a married couple, A guy, then two others. I'm sure you patronise those you mentioned.
zed7:

Typical living amongst those loose girls on the island. 3 to 5 people share an apartment. Sleep all day and work all night.
OP,
If you guys have the same personality and lifestyle, it's easier to live in peace and harmony. I once abandoned a fully paid apartment for my friend when his lifestyle was becoming unacceptable by me. That was in uni days though, I believe working class guys will be more responsible.

1 Like

Re: Have You Ever Shared An Apartment? What's Your Experience Like? by BornToSucced(m): 10:49am On May 31, 2021
I have done that twice and it was a horrible experience.

You’re in your 30s, so I believe you should be on your own and build your own future.

With a shared apartment comes shared responsibilities- both positive and negative. Often, the negative far outweigh the positives.

Imagine after moving in with the guy and he suddenly decides to relocate to another place, what would you do? What if he says he doesn’t want you to continue after a year?

Lastly, he’s the only person legally recognized by the landlord. As such, he can sack you anytime you have a little misunderstanding.

My thoughts!

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Is Marriage To Cousins A Taboo In Your Part Of Nigeria? / Is This Right? / Her Pastor Said I’m Not The Right Person For Her

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.